THE best reason to be a vegetarian.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kajankua

Now I'm not gonna go all PETA-mode on y'all with statistics on health and shit like that. And I don't wanna start a flamewar either.
I know everybody's sick of hearing that.
But I had a friend of mine who said the most brilliant reason for going vegetarian, and honestly it's the only argument that should be necessary . 
Now in my opinion if this argument doesn't work for you, then nothing else will.  
And this is what he said. 

"If I, as a human being can sustain myself without having to harm another living being. Then surely I must do so." 

Seriously, that's all the reason you need.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Aas

I agree, but at the same time... MEAT IS SOOO GOOD!

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ryax

well thats not going to convince alot of people. ive been a vegetarian since i was a kid, just thought meat was gross and makes me sick to eat.. but humans are survivors and need to kill other beings to survive

simpledespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By simpledespot

Is it at all worrisome to you that your friend speaks like a Sorkin character?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Plants are living beings.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Romination
@Ryax said:

" well thats not going to convince alot of people. ive been a vegetarian since i was a kid, just thought meat was gross and makes me sick to eat.. but humans are survivors and need to kill other beings to survive "

word. I don't wanna get into the inevitable debate but the fact of the matter is that we need some of the things that meat has as a nutrient. Nowadays there's supplement pills to help vegetarians, and fine by me if you are and you go for that, but it's easier, cheaper, and hell, possibly healthier to just get it from a good chunk o meat

It's a wonderfully Buddhist sort of statement your friend has there.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268

Even if I stopped eating meat personally, that wouldn't stop the butchering since there will always be a demand for meat.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By mazik765

Best reason to be a vegetarian: BACON IS DELICIOUS....oh wait....

And also... 
 @kajankua:  
"If I, as a human being can sustain myself without having to harm another living being. Then surely I must do so."

So I'm sure the home you live in was not built upon destroyed animal habitats, right? I'm sure none of the luxury items you use (perhaps an iPod, camera or that computer you're using) uses materials that were mined out of destroyed animal habitats, right? 

I have no problem with your choice to be a vegetarian but as soon as people like you start acting all high and mighty with your hypocrisy. Just because you don't contribute to the abuse of animals with your eating habits, does not mean the optional luxuries in your life are not hurting animals. Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't make you anymore righteous or moral than me.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mutha3
@kajankua said:
"
Now in my opinion if this argument doesn't work for you, then nothing else will.  

"
Plants are living beings too.

Have fun  dying, I guess........
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Renahzor

You can also get anywhere you want to go without the use of vehicles to harm the environment.  You can live your entire life without adding to environmental damage by never using electricity.  You can save countless forest dwelling creature's lives by refusing to use wood and pulp paper products, making a house out of mud bricks or other alternatives.   Thus, since you CAN, you MUST, right?  Imposing a moral restriction and trying to make it sound like a logical debate isn't going to sway people who don't hold the same moral value.  I hunt, go fishing, have raised animals for food, and of course buy meat at the super market.  It is not my obligation to uphold your morals.  In fact, I don't care that you don't eat meat, and don't need to try and convince you that I am the only correct person, Im much more secure in my beliefs than to try and force them on someone else.  Maybe you and your "friend" should try being more confident and stop trying to impose your beliefs on other people.

TL:DR version:  you're not better than anyone because of what you eat, stop being dicks. 

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blackbeard

The single best reason to not be a vegetarian... and I quote myself: 

"Out in nature everything is food for everything else in one way or another. It's eat or be eaten... so enjoy what you can catch."

That cow looks mighty hungry and he's headed right us.. ahhhhh! We better get him before he gets us. ;)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Here is a great reason for not being vegetarian.

Plants are living beings you twat. I hate vegetarians because they ignore the fact that plants are as much of a living being as animals. You have to eat living beings to live, unless you are a cyborg and powered by electricity, so if you're going to eat plants you might eat animals as well. What a chump.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ryax
@Snail said:
"

Here is a great reason for not being vegetarian.

"If I, as a human being can sustain myself without having to harm another living being. Then surely I must do so."    Plants are living beings you twat. I hate vegetarians because they ignore the fact that plants are as much of a living being as animals. You have to eat living beings to live, unless you are a cyborg and powered by electricity, so if you're going to eat plants you might eat animals as well. What a chump. "
not all vegetarians dont eat meat because its wrong. i dont eat it cuz it makes me sick. i personally dont give a fuck if people eat meat. kill all the animals you want. just dont make me eat meat
theDevilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theDevilb0y

The problem with that being that vegetarians still harm plenty of living beings through sustaining themselves. That they harm less than meat-eaters doesn't mean some kind of spiritual sanctity can be applied to vegetarianism. What about the rabbits that get caught in the wheat threshers? What about the cows, the tallow from whom goes into making a huge amount of objects, many of which aren't edible? For a human to truly sustain themselves without hurting any other living being they would have to plant, grow and harvest their own food.

Just for the record: I'm not diminishing vegetarianism. Several of my friends are vegetarian and I respect their choices and think that it's a pretty big sacrifice to make in the name of inflicting less pain on the world. But being a vegetarian is about limiting the suffering you cause and being proud of that, not claiming you cause none and sanctifying yourself.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By themartyr
@blackbeard said:
" The single best reason to not be a vegetarian... and I quote myself:  "Out in nature everything is food for everything else in one way or another. It's eat or be eaten... so enjoy what you can catch." That cow looks mighty hungry and he's headed right us.. ahhhhh! We better get him before he gets us. ;) "
Except that cows are vegetarians. 

In nature, meat-eaters drink water with their tongues. Herbivores (vegetarians) drink with their lips. 

What do humans do?
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sambambo

That is no reason whatsoever.

"I, as a human being, can beat up old ladies for their money. Then surely I must do so."

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sadisticham

You hop on a plane and convince a lion to go vegetarian and if you come back alive and with all your limbs I'll never touch meat again. It's natural if the shoe was on the other foot it'd eat me.
I'm not having a go..well i am really. But i do not see the point in trying to save cows. It sits in a feild chewing grass..that's it.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Bwast

I eat meat every day, and I enjoy every second of it. The thought of those lesser animals quivering at the butcher's knife just before he plunges it into their puny bodies, snuffing out their pitiful existence, makes me intensely satisfied. The meat tastes oh so sweet when I think of their suffering as the juices flow down my chin.

No Caption Provided
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne

How about this:

"If I, as a human being, have - if I'm lucky! - mayby 30-40 waking years to live, two thirds of which I will probably have to spend doing things I don't enjoy or even dislike, how profoundly dumb would it be to reduce my quality of life and my quantity of sensory enjoyment where it isn't even necessary?"

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
@themartyr said:
"In nature, meat-eaters drink water with their tongues. Herbivores (vegetarians) drink with their lips."
Humans are omnivores.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

People don't live merely to sustain themselves; I mean you could sustain yourself by just eating bananas or something, but just because you could do it doesn't mean you must do it.

BTW, this sounds like some sort of achievement: 

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@kajankua: But you can sustain yourself without wasting money and time on video games and video game websites, so why are you posting on one?
Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yeah...i totally didn't hear that 5 billion billion times...

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blackbeard

No Caption Provided
gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gike987
@themartyr said:

" @blackbeard said:

" The single best reason to not be a vegetarian... and I quote myself:  "Out in nature everything is food for everything else in one way or another. It's eat or be eaten... so enjoy what you can catch." That cow looks mighty hungry and he's headed right us.. ahhhhh! We better get him before he gets us. ;) "
Except that cows are vegetarians.  In nature, meat-eaters drink water with their tongues. Herbivores (vegetarians) drink with their lips.  What do humans do? "
That's because humans are omnivores. Why do people never learn that?
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SSValis

I just find that eating meat is cruel.

Nowayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nowayman

2 reasons. 

1. Plant are living being too. 
2. I limit the strict non killing issue to humanity, and sometimes, I think that even that is very difficult. 
3. You know, animals can be real pain in the @$$ to the planet : haven't you ever see what a herd of sheep or cow do to the subsaharian africa ?

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blackbeard
@BeachThunder: that many bananas would kill you from an overdose of potassium. our bodies need variety. too much of any one single thing can actually cause significant harm to our bodies.
blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blackbeard
@themartyr said:
" @blackbeard said:
Except that cows are vegetarians.  In nature, meat-eaters drink water with their tongues. Herbivores (vegetarians) drink with their lips.  What do humans do? "
uh... the cow part was a joke.
Futuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Futuran
@Aas said:
" I agree, but at the same time... MEAT IS SOOO GOOD! "
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By swamplord666

my sister is a vegetarian for ethical reasons and the amount of trouble she goes through to get the nutrients that are needed from meat and the amount I would need to consume to have a full meal just puts me off completely. Nothing vegetarian can beat a nice home made lasagna or spaghetti bolognese 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZenaxPure

I'm no expert or anything but wouldn't animals over populate the planet if people weren't eating them? 

Also meat tastes good plants are living etc.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@gike987 said:
"@themartyr said:

" @blackbeard said:

That's because humans are omnivores. Why do people never learn that? "

Humans are designed to be frugivores. 
 Every vegetarian forum always has the most ignorant arguments against being a vegetarian.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Demyx

Thats a horrible reason to be a vegetarian. A better one would be that the cute blonde in your calculus lecture might get with you.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ryax
@Demyx said:
" Thats a horrible reason to be a vegetarian. A better one would be that the cute blonde in your calculus lecture might get with you. "
that is a pretty good reason
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Yukoei

But then I cant eat Hamburgers =(

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John1912
@kajankua:    "If I, as a human being can sustain myself without having to harm another living being. Then surely I must do so." 

Well, that isnt exactly great logic, least without proper context.  There is nothing wrong with eating animals, its part of nature.  We are supposed to eat other living things.  Problem is, we are too good at it, and go about it in some rather cruel ways.  Its also lead to waste and gluttony.   I think its more of a poor reflection of humans as a whole, but to be expected from our current technological standing.  i think we well be going threw some drastic changes for the better in the next 100 years.
Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By peepeepoopoo696
@FiestaUnicorn said:
" @gike987 said:
"@themartyr said:

" @blackbeard said:

That's because humans are omnivores. Why do people never learn that? "
Humans are designed to be frugivores.  Every vegetarian forum always has the most ignorant arguments against being a vegetarian. "
Were not monkeys anymore. Humans are designed to be omnivores. Also this is a video games forum.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Whisperkill

Fuck THAT... I'll eat whatever the hell I want to eat, and to be quite honest, i'm still gonna eat it if it suffered. 

We were meant to be omnivores. 

And veal is delicious. Fuck you PETA!!!

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By SteveVice

Meeeeeeh....hamburgers!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By AndrewB

People with the excuse that they think it's cruel to eat animals are the biggest hypocrites. You're going to conveniently forget the fact that plants are living things, or you're just ignorant of the fact. Of course, if you're truly set on not harming another living thing, you're going to die of hunger pretty quickly.

I'm not saying don't be a vegetarian, I'm saying think of a better excuse if you're going to be one.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Well that sure was a dumb fucking reason.  Man evolved a larger brain due to our ability to cook meat and consume more calories thousands of years ago.  We would all be shit flinging monkeys if it was up to your friend. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael said:
" Plants are living beings. "
Which makes it that much funnier that more often than not, hippies are vegetarians AND support all-natural products. It'd be like if somebody saw Yahtzee liking a Final Fantasy game.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheHT
@Icemael said:
" Plants are living beings. "
ding ding ding!

@Icemael said:
" @themartyr said:
"In nature, meat-eaters drink water with their tongues. Herbivores (vegetarians) drink with their lips."
Humans are omnivores. "
DING DING DING!!

dang home-skillet, you's on a roll.
baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By baelrrogg

Meat = Protein = Muscles = Attraction of opposite sex = reproduction = continuation of species

(this makes about as much sense as the rest of this argument....eat what you will ppl...all comes out the same)

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tallTuck94

But if humans are smart enough to kill, with tools, animals physically stronger then us then we should take advantage of that advantage

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By floodiastus
@Romination said:
" @Ryax said:

" well thats not going to convince alot of people. ive been a vegetarian since i was a kid, just thought meat was gross and makes me sick to eat.. but humans are survivors and need to kill other beings to survive "

word. I don't wanna get into the inevitable debate but the fact of the matter is that we need some of the things that meat has as a nutrient. Nowadays there's supplement pills to help vegetarians, and fine by me if you are and you go for that, but it's easier, cheaper, and hell, possibly healthier to just get it from a good chunk o meat  It's a wonderfully Buddhist sort of statement your friend has there. "
Wow, that is not true at all, you dont need to eat supplements to get your nutrients... also meat is not healthy at all, even less so nowadays than in times of past.

Personally I stopped eating meat from sitting infront of the TV watching hospital shows, watching them cut through intestines and shit while I was eating started to gross me out til I just felt really sick from eating meat when I started thinking about what the hell I put into my mouth :)
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By floodiastus
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" Well that sure was a dumb fucking reason.  Man evolved a larger brain due to our ability to cook meat and consume more calories thousands of years ago.  We would all be shit flinging monkeys if it was up to your friend.  "
Rather we ate magic fucking mushrooms on the plains of africa... but whatever duder :)
tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tooPrime
@kajankua said:

" Now I'm not gonna go all PETA-mode on y'all with statistics on health and shit like that. And I don't wanna start a flamewar either.
I know everybody's sick of hearing that.
But I had a friend of mine who said the most brilliant reason for going vegetarian, and honestly it's the only argument that should be necessary . 

"

Plants are alive.  LOGIC RUINED.

Wait, I didn't read the thread, so I didn't see that everyone already said that.  You can make some argument like don't harm things that feel pain or have spinal cords, but that messes up the conciseness of your friends statement, and the conciseness is the best thing about it.
hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hai2u

tell ur vegetarian friend ill eat double the amount of meat to balance it out for her ^_^