THE best reason to be a vegetarian.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@Atomasist said:
" @FiestaUnicorn said:
" @gike987 said:
"@themartyr said:

" @blackbeard said:

" The single best reason to not be a vegetarian... and I quote myself:  "Out in nature everything is food for everything else in one way or another. It's eat or be eaten... so enjoy what you can catch." That cow looks mighty hungry and he's headed right us.. ahhhhh! We better get him before he gets us. ;) "
Except that cows are vegetarians.  In nature, meat-eaters drink water with their tongues. Herbivores (vegetarians) drink with their lips.  What do humans do? "
That's because humans are omnivores. Why do people never learn that? "
Humans are designed to be frugivores.  Every vegetarian forum always has the most ignorant arguments against being a vegetarian. "
Were not monkeys anymore. Humans are designed to be omnivores. Also this is a video games forum. "

We're not monkeys anymore.  But our teeth are still designed to eat plants and that shows people are designed to be herbivores.  However, most herbivorous species supplement their diet with meat.  I choose not to eat meat but that doesn't make anyone wrong who want s to eat meat.
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By tallTuck94
@FiestaUnicorn: Our bodies are designed to take so much from meat that we can't get in large amounts in plants
this to me shows we are designed to have a balenced diet as we need so many things from both meat and plants
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By takua108
@FiestaUnicorn said: 
We're not monkeys anymore.  But our teeth are still designed to eat plants and that shows people are designed to be herbivores.
As the son of a dentist, I'm here to tell you that this is, in fact, not entirely true. I don't know if you've heard about these pointy little teeth in the corners of your mouth? They're called "canines." They're for eating meat.
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By tallTuck94
@Fragstoff: 
argument buried IN THE GROUND!
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By End_Boss
@Icemael said:
" Plants are living beings. "
BAM SHABANG. 

Seriously. We're omnivorous mammals. We eat things that live. 

Deal with it.
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By takua108
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By End_Boss
@takua108 said:
" Also, to continue this thread, click here. "

Your link has been identified as dangerous. Prepare to die, criminal scum.
 Your link has been identified as dangerous. Prepare to die, criminal scum.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mazik765
@FiestaUnicorn:
We're not monkeys anymore.  But our teeth are still designed to eat plants and that shows people are designed to be herbivores.  However, most herbivorous species supplement their diet with meat.  I choose not to eat meat but that doesn't make anyone wrong who want s to eat meat. "
If you're going to pull the tooth card reach into your mouth and feel those pointy teeth called Canines. They are specifically designed to tear through meat.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Ryax
@takua108 said:
" Also, to continue this thread, click here. "
ew. i do not approve
junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By junkie

louis ck sums it up for me....(at 1.00 minute)    
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@takua108 said:
" @FiestaUnicorn said: 
We're not monkeys anymore.  But our teeth are still designed to eat plants and that shows people are designed to be herbivores.
As the son of a dentist, I'm here to tell you that this is, in fact, not entirely true. I don't know if you've heard about these pointy little teeth in the corners of your mouth? They're called "canines." They're for eating meat. "
I have heard about canines.  Canine teeth in primates have very little to do with diet.  If our canine teeth were meant to tear into flesh they'd be much longer and sharper.   You calling them pointy little teeth is kind of funny.
@tallTuck94 said:
" @FiestaUnicorn: Our bodies are designed to take so much from meat that we can't get in large amounts in plants this to me shows we are designed to have a balenced diet as we need so many things from both meat and plants "

But we can get everything we need from plants.  We can't everything from meat. 
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JoelTGM

Plants are living.  Killing happens all the time, but because a cow has eyes that look at you the way a human looks at you, you freak out. 

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Jams
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Plants are living.  Killing happens all the time, but because a cow has eyes that look at you the way a human looks at you, you freak out.  "
It's funny, you are about the 5th person plus to say this but I don't think I've seen a single rebuttal.
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By tallTuck94
@FiestaUnicorn: The main reason we eat meat is cause we can
a dog could probally live off of plants but it doesn't want to
all i can say is your missing out by cutting away a HUGE range of dishes from choice
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Ryax
@jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
" Plants are living.  Killing happens all the time, but because a cow has eyes that look at you the way a human looks at you, you freak out.  "
It's funny, you are about the 5th person plus to say this but I don't think I've seen a single rebuttal. "
ive said that some vegetarians dont care. but most vegetarians  just think that animals have the right to live because they have noticeable pain and everything. when you harvest crops you dont here whines and you dont have a connection with said crop. most people think that plants dont feel so they figure so what if we harvest them, but with animals they have hearts and nervous systems and everything. so they just dont like seeing living breathing animal get hurt.
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By takua108
@jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
It's funny, you are about the 5th person plus to say this but I don't think I've seen a single rebuttal. "
I was just going to say the same thing.
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67  Edited By floodiastus
@jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
Maybe cuz the statement is kind of retarded :) I mean, a dog/cow/chicken feels pain and are more closely related to humans than a plant. Maybe plants feel pain, but their cellular structure is much different than ours so it's hard from an empathic perspective to relate. It all comes down to how much empathy people have.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ryax
@floodiastus said:
" @jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
Maybe cuz the statement is kind of retarded :) I mean, a dog/cow/chicken feels pain and are more closely related to humans than a plant. Maybe plants feel pain, but their cellular structure is much different than ours so it's hard from an empathic perspective to relate. It all comes down to how much empathy people have. "
thats basically what im saying. i think you said it more clearly tho
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RsistncE
@Icemael:@mutha3:@Snail: 

Honestly guys? I understand jackass remarks but sometimes I don't know if people are joking or are just plain retarded. When people, especially vegans and vegetarians, say living people they are most definitely referring to sentient living beings. Plants are not sentient living organisms. Now knock off the dumbfuckery.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CaptainCody

Their are more chickens than their are humans, it is impossible to avoid hurting something in some retrospect and this is how food webs work.  Never will their be a reasonable arguement to being a vegetarian because most people become one for attention, if no one was around you to comment on your choice I doubt you would make that one.
walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By walreese55

Sure, you can sustain yourself with vegetables, but you can sustain yourself with the four basic needs of food, water, shelter, and clothing. It's life's luxuries that make it worth living.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By TheHBK

Plants are alive.

Plus not eating meat makes you gay.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By RsistncE

To sum it all up: we can't get everything from eating a diet consisting of only plants or a diet consisting entirely of animals. Most studies show diets high in red meats and low vegetables and fruits lead to a variety of diseases. Most studies also show entirely vegetarian diets (and vegan diets which are supplemented) reduce risk of most diseases and lead to longer lifespans.

Either way you slice it this whole argument only comes down to one: the moral argument.

Have fun guys.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ryax
@brainboy77 said:
" Sure, you can sustain yourself with vegetables, but you can sustain yourself with the four basic needs of food, water, shelter, and clothing. It's life's luxuries that make it worth living. "
what about the people in third world countries that dont have lots of that but still try to make the best of their situation knowing that one day they might go on to something better? they may not have the luxuries but they know life is worth living.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jams
@floodiastus said:
" @jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
Maybe cuz the statement is kind of retarded :) I mean, a dog/cow/chicken feels pain and are more closely related to humans than a plant. Maybe plants feel pain, but their cellular structure is much different than ours so it's hard from an empathic perspective to relate. It all comes down to how much empathy people have. "
I myself believe humans are animals the same as a wolf would be. Why can a hunter animal eat meat but we can't? Because they don't know better? Do we really know that? We can't eat meat because we know better? I can agree that killing an animal where it feels pain isn't a good thing, but I also know if I was a wolf (on a 3 wolf moon shirt) I would eat all the sheep I could. I get that some Vegans (or vegitarians or what ever) feel guilty, but that is a personal thing.

I don't know. There never is a right answer with these kinds of discussions.
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By tallTuck94
@brainboy77 said:
" Sure, you can sustain yourself with vegetables, but you can sustain yourself with the four basic needs of food, water, shelter, and clothing. It's life's luxuries that make it worth living. "
you just sumed up what i was trying to say in a sentence
Bravo
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By EvilDingo
I agree with the OP's friends statement. 

I am not a vegetarian, but came to pretty much the same conclusion simi-recently. 

It's not that I don't believe that meat production is wasteful and damaging to the environment. 
It's just hard to visualize the impact of a single persons impact on the environment, where as it's at least somewhat more tangible that the animal on the dinner table, in fact have lost it's life to reach the dinner plate. 

I guess you could become a vegetarian because of health reason is also, but I believe it's balanced out with hassle of balancing your diet, to make sure you get the required proteins and such, you otherwise would have obtained through meat consumption. 

Becoming a vegetarian is of course a personal choice, and thus any "valid" reason is ultimately up to one's own beliefs. 
However if you are a vegetarian AND wish to "convert" other people, I think the OP's friends claim is the only one you *really* can justifiable argue with.

@SuperSambo
said:
" That is no reason whatsoever.  "I, as a human being, can beat up old ladies for their money. Then surely I must do so." "
That's a pretty flawed way to argue against the statement.

It's should be obvious to everyone that the essence of the statement refers to what is NECESSARY to survive or sustain life in todays society - NOT what you are ABLE to do as a human being.
Apart from that: The gist of the statement was the part about inflicting harm on another being - and beating up old ladies must be considered as inflicting harm :-)

There should be plenty of valid arguments against becoming vegetarian without misrepresenting the original claim. 
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By JoelTGM
@Ryax said:
" @floodiastus said:
" @jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
thats basically what im saying. i think you said it more clearly tho "
it's possible to kill painlessly if you're so concerned.  I'm not concerned though because I'm going to eat the animal anyway, so I'm focused on food, not on pretending the cow is a human.  Meat won't go anytime soon because people like it and are willing to pay for it.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ryax
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Ryax said:
" @floodiastus said:
" @jams said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
thats basically what im saying. i think you said it more clearly tho "
it's possible to kill painlessly if you're so concerned.  I'm not concerned though because I'm going to eat the animal anyway, so I'm focused on food, not on pretending the cow is a human.  Meat won't go anytime soon because people like it and are willing to pay for it. "
im a vegetarian and i couldnt care less about animals being killed for food. thats just the way most vegetarians view the subject.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Whoa.  People are still on the all life is equal kick?  Crazy world.

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Godlovesugly

I thought I was going to open the thread and see that video of those 2 guys wrestling in a burger joint. *mental image of the fat guy's ass*  That's the best reason to be a vegetarian, not having to see that.

Also if you don't want to cause harm to animals, surely you'd have to go Vegan not vegetarian?

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Ryax
@Godlovesugly said:
" I thought I was going to open the thread and see that video of those 2 guys wrestling in a burger joint. *mental image of the fat guy's ass*  That's the best reason to be a vegetarian, not having to see that. Also if you don't want to cause harm to animals, surely you'd have to go Vegan not vegetarian? "
post that video. that sounds awesome
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Icil
@kajankua said:
"If I, as a human being can sustain myself without having to harm another living being. Then surely I must do so."
Like others here have said, plants are living things. Plants understand harm.
Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Godlovesugly
@Ryax:    
  Apologies in advance.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By evanbrau

To suggest that all life is equal is complete insanity. We are dominant and its only natural that the dominant creature eats the lesser ones.  PETA pedal that rubbish constantly and its one of the main reasons they are such a joke of an organisation. I'll eat meat because a diet of vegetables and vitamin supplements sounds fairly unpleasant, eating meat is natural and healthy.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By fwylo

I like Chicken, I like Liver

Meow Mix, Meow Mix, Please Deliver.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Ravenousrattler

no amount of words in the world will ever change my mind about eating meat

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By LiquidPrince

That sounds good, except the human body needs certain enzymes to remain healthy over time, and those certain proteins can be attained in no other place then in meats, poultry and fish. No substitute can provide those enzymes.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#90  Edited By Turambar

The "all life is equal" argument only works if you support the right to eat meat.  If humans are animals as well, then we should be allowed to behave like them, and eat other animals.  If you're saying humans have advanced to the point where we should know better, then we're not the same as some lowly animal, now are we?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#91  Edited By Icemael
@RsistncE said:

" @Icemael:@mutha3:@Snail: 

Honestly guys? I understand jackass remarks but sometimes I don't know if people are joking or are just plain retarded. When people, especially vegans and vegetarians, say living people they are most definitely referring to sentient living beings. Plants are not sentient living organisms. Now knock off the dumbfuckery. "

Sentient, living organisms are just collections of non-sentient, living beings.

And even if we're just talking sentient organisms, vegetarians still harm countless living beings:  
@mazik765 said: 

"So I'm sure the home you live in was not built upon destroyed animal habitats, right? I'm sure none of the luxury items you use (perhaps an iPod, camera or that computer you're using) uses materials that were mined out of destroyed animal habitats, right? I have no problem with your choice to be a vegetarian but as soon as people like you start acting all high and mighty with your hypocrisy. Just because you don't contribute to the abuse of animals with your eating habits, does not mean the optional luxuries in your life are not hurting animals. Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't make you anymore righteous or moral than me."

And what about bugs? Do vegetarians never swat flies or mosquitoes? Do they make sure to never stop on ants? If a spider has constructed a web on an object in the attic, do vegetarians let the object in question be, even if they want it? 

The whole "I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to hurt living beings" argument is just so stupid. If you live out in the woods and take every possible precaution to avoid harming other living beings, then yeah, I can buy it. If not, it's just bullshit. It's like the people who don't give a rat's ass about endangered species, except the ones that are cute, like pandas or seals.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Ryax
@Godlovesugly: all he wanted was a cheese burger... that was funny but the ass is burned into my brain like you said.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Peta is a terrorist organization.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Ryax
@Icemael said:
" @RsistncE said:

Honestly guys? I understand jackass remarks but sometimes I don't know if people are joking or are just plain retarded. When people, especially vegans and vegetarians, say living people they are most definitely referring to sentient living beings. Plants are not sentient living organisms. Now knock off the dumbfuckery. "

And even if we're just talking sentient organisms, vegetarians still harm countless living beings:  
@mazik765 said: 

"So I'm sure the home you live in was not built upon destroyed animal habitats, right? I'm sure none of the luxury items you use (perhaps an iPod, camera or that computer you're using) uses materials that were mined out of destroyed animal habitats, right? I have no problem with your choice to be a vegetarian but as soon as people like you start acting all high and mighty with your hypocrisy. Just because you don't contribute to the abuse of animals with your eating habits, does not mean the optional luxuries in your life are not hurting animals. Just because you choose to ignore it doesn't make you anymore righteous or moral than me."

And what about bugs? Do vegetarians never swat flies or mosquitoes? Do they make sure to never stop on ants? If a spider has constructed a web on an object in the attic, do vegetarians let the object in question be, even if they want it?  The whole "I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to hurt living beings" argument is just so stupid. If you live out in the woods and take every possible precaution to avoid harming other living beings, then yeah, I can buy it. If not, it's just bullshit. It's like the people who don't give a rat's ass about endangered species, except the ones that are cute, like pandas or seals. "
youre thinking of animal activists. they are ridiculous. but not all vegetarians are animal activists 
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By tallTuck94
@Godlovesugly said:

" @Ryax:    

Apologies in advance. " 

Thats awesome
you wouldn't get that in britain
someone would get stabbed

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#96  Edited By Turambar
@Ryax said:
" @Icemael said:
" @RsistncE said:

@mazik765 said: 

And what about bugs? Do vegetarians never swat flies or mosquitoes? Do they make sure to never stop on ants? If a spider has constructed a web on an object in the attic, do vegetarians let the object in question be, even if they want it?  The whole "I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to hurt living beings" argument is just so stupid. If you live out in the woods and take every possible precaution to avoid harming other living beings, then yeah, I can buy it. If not, it's just bullshit. It's like the people who don't give a rat's ass about endangered species, except the ones that are cute, like pandas or seals. "
youre thinking of animal activists. they are ridiculous. but not all vegetarians are animal activists  "
Well, given the OP's justification for vegetarianism is based on animal activism, I'd say that post is fair enough.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Godlovesugly said:

" @Ryax:    

Apologies in advance. "
Oh my god that was funny.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ryax
@Turambar: i suppose youre right.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Icil
@Ryax said:
" @Godlovesugly said:
" I thought I was going to open the thread and see that video of those 2 guys wrestling in a burger joint. *mental image of the fat guy's ass*  That's the best reason to be a vegetarian, not having to see that. Also if you don't want to cause harm to animals, surely you'd have to go Vegan not vegetarian? "
post that video. that sounds awesome "
It's got classic "realistic street fight" written all over it. I fucking love it when two people step up to each other; all the way up to the actual fight, they are calculated in what they say, trying to seem as badass as possible while hoping they call the bluff. It mimics action movies at this point. Once they start fighting, you realize it's not epic at all -- both parties graze punches, constantly slipping grips and losing of footing, and your ass all over YouTube.

Brilliant.
hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By hai2u

lol that fat guy talked so much shit and then just got completely owned in the video.