#1 Edited by UlquioKani (1016 posts) -

So I just woke up about 10 minutes ago. I had most of the side of my face covered in saliva that had started to congeal. There was also a trail of sticky saliva working it's way down from the edge of my mouth all the way to my shoulder.

I use saliva to indicate how well I've have slept . I have real trouble going to sleep and this was just meant to be a small nap for about an hour but lasted 5 hours.

What do you guys do to help you sleep and how do you know you slept really well?

#2 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

I have pretty bad insomnia myself, with no good way to help myself sleep. I know when I slept well because I have to do some double digit multiplication to turn off my alarm. When I've slept poorly, I find it damn near impossible. When I've slept well, I solve it in seconds.

#3 Edited by HerbieBug (4189 posts) -

I slept 13 straight hours last night. It was awesome. No saliva though.

#4 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

I move a lot when sleeping, so I usually judge the quality of my sleep by how little the blankets and pillows shift.

#5 Posted by Aegon (5376 posts) -
@scrawnto said:

I have pretty bad insomnia myself, with no good way to help myself sleep. I know when I slept well because I have to do some double digit multiplication to turn off my alarm. When I've slept poorly, I find it damn near impossible. When I've slept well, I solve it in seconds.

Woah, that's a pretty cool function. What kind of alarm is it?

#6 Edited by believer258 (11554 posts) -

@aegon

said:

@scrawnto

said:

I also would like to know what kind of alarm it is so I can make sure I don't accidentally get a hold of it. I would seriously hate that, it's like a measure of your day before you even crawl out of bed.

Anyway, I know I've had a good sleep when I can wake up and get out of bed without moaning and groaning about how much I hate waking up at 6 AM. This is usually signified audibly by the curse word that comes out of my mouth. I was under the impression that everyone else did it that way as well, but apparently I was mistaken.

#7 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

That's not saliva

#8 Edited by HerbieBug (4189 posts) -

@aegon

said:

@scrawnto

said:

I also would like to know what kind of alarm it is so I can make sure I don't accidentally get a hold of it. I would seriously hate that, it's like a measure of your day before you even crawl out of bed.

Just setting my alarm clock ahead by about 30 minutes is enough to fool me in early morning stupor. I doubt I could even do basic addition in that state.

#9 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

@believer258

said:

@aegon

said:

@scrawnto

said:

Just setting my alarm clock ahead by about 30 minutes is enough to fool me in early morning stupor.I doubt I could even do basic addition in that state.

It's the ironically named "Gentle Alarm" app for Android. It can be pretty infuriating and disheartening on the days where it's difficult, but on the days that it's easy I feel like a goddamn genius. It's especially tricky because you have to answer two problems correctly in a row with a 60 second timer for each. If you mess up or run out of time, it starts over with two new problems.

All of that stuff is configurable, though. You can make the problems easier, change the number of them, the time limit, or even remove the challenge altogether, which is what I do for the profile I use for my days off.

#10 Posted by 49th (2666 posts) -

I was completely exhausted yesterday after only getting around 4 hours the last two days. I didn't set my alarm today though so I did have a great 12 hour sleep, I ended up missing class but I don't care because I been woken up by an alarm for the past few weeks.

#11 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -
@scrawnto said:

@herbiebug

said:

@believer258

said:

@aegon

said:

@scrawnto

said:

Just setting my alarm clock ahead by about 30 minutes is enough to fool me in early morning stupor.I doubt I could even do basic addition in that state.

It's the ironically named "Gentle Alarm" app for Android. It can be pretty infuriating and disheartening on the days where it's difficult, but on the days that it's easy I feel like a goddamn genius. It's especially tricky because you have to answer two problems correctly in a row with a 60 second timer for each. If you mess up or run out of time, it starts over with two new problems.

All of that stuff is configurable, though. You can make the problems easier, change the number of them, the time limit, or even remove the challenge altogether, which is what I do for the profile I use for my days off.

I use this alarm too. Best alarm I have ever had.