"The Box" Poster Unveiled...Does It Rip Off "From Hell"?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Later this year, Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko, Southland Tales) will be releasing his newest film, The Box.  It's based on an old Richard Matheson short story that was famously turned into an episode on the second incarnation of The Twilight Zone (I believe it was the second incarnation...and I believe it was TZ, but it could've been Outer Limits, don't quote me on it).

The first poster for the film has been released...and the first thing I said to myself was "WTF?  I've seen this before".

So, tell me...look at these pictures.  Do you think that The Box has gone a LITTLE too far in terms of ripping someone off?

Movie poster for The Box by Richard Kelly
Movie poster for The Box by Richard Kelly
Movie poster for From Hell by The Hughes Brothers
Movie poster for From Hell by The Hughes Brothers

Like, SERIOUSLY?!  WOW!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

I dont know, its not as blatant as say, Metroid Prime 2-Sonic Adventure 2

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

It's the same lettering, it's got a streak down the middle with a man emerging from it, and an all-black ominous background.  I mean, with as sue-happy as 20th Century Fox was with Watchmen, I'm sure they'd have a jolly ol' time with The Box!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol yeah, but i've seen far worse comparisons. But at least we know Richard Kelley is talentless now. 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow

You can't copyright vertical lines.  Besides, it's more of a blatant copy of when you encounter Gouken or Akuma in Street Fighter 4

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Lies
jakob187 said:
"It's the same lettering, it's got a streak down the middle with a man emerging from it, and an all-black ominous background.  I mean, with as sue-happy as 20th Century Fox was with Watchmen, I'm sure they'd have a jolly ol' time with The Box!"
Not really a valid comparison there...

With Watchmen, another studio was making a movie of a property FOX STILL OWNED THE RIGHTS TO... whereas this is a matter of vaguely similar boxes, with one similar element that doesn't even match perfectly (different shaped stripes) which they'd sure have a hard time proving in court.

Yeah they're similar, but it's more a case of inspiration than theft in my book.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ
jakob187 said:
"It's the same lettering, it's got a streak down the middle with a man emerging from it, and an all-black ominous background.  I mean, with as sue-happy as 20th Century Fox was with Watchmen, I'm sure they'd have a jolly ol' time with The Box!"
I didnt notice the lettering before, and that seems blatant, but otherwise they are different enough
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

It's possible that the same marketing firm was hired to create both posters...or it's just coincidental.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
TwoOneFive said:
"But at least we know Richard Kelley is talentless now. "
We knew that from the second Donnie Darko started.

On topic, it's not that blatant a rip off and From Hell was shit anyway so it's not like they're taking something iconic and ruining it.