• 103 results
#1 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

Brian Banks is the name of a man who at the age of 16 and still in high school had his whole life derailed over a false accusation of rape. After being tried as an adult he was thrown in jail for over five years, had to become a registered sex offender, lost all his friends, lost out on a promising sports career, and now has to wear a GPS tracker strapped to his ankle at all times. The woman who accused him was awarded $1.5 million dollars, spent it all, and is now on welfare. She has openly admitted it was all a lie, saying she just wanted attention from her friends. Despite this, she has received no punishment for her misdeeds.

Brian would like to create a documentary telling his story and hopefully open up discussion on how unfairly men are treated in these situations. As of this posting his Kickstarter project is only at $23,296 of its $40,000 goal. It only has 9 days to meet the deadline. I know it's a touchy subject and might not be appropriate for Giant Bomb, but it's a real world problem I think a lot more people should be aware of.

If you have a minute, please check out the Kickstarter page and consider backing the project.

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Ummm if she's admitted it was a fabrication, is he not suing the state and getting her arrested?

That's kind of a big deal if he isn't bullshitting

#3 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

Nothing about this story sounds legit.

#5 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

@arch4non said:

@Akeldama said:

Here are a few news stories, I will try to find more.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-brian-banks-20120524,0,7941481.story

http://www.californiainnocenceproject.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100%253Adaniel-larsen&catid=2%253Aread-their-stories&Itemid=3

You're going to try and tell me a woman got a man jailed for 5 years, was awarded $1.5 million and admitted that it was all a lie with NO consequence? Good day, sir.

#6 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

You're going to try and tell me a woman got a man jailed for 5 years, was awarded $1.5 million and admitted that it was all a lie with NO consequence? Good day, sir.

I know, it sounds crazy, doesn't it? It's why I think this story needs to be told.

#7 Edited by Athadam (697 posts) -

Yeah, the links/facts check out guys.  

My question is, why doesn't the Long Beach Unified School District sue the girl back?

#8 Posted by Athadam (697 posts) -

Speaking of which, I really don't get how the general law even works when it comes to rape.  

Do all they need to convict someone of rape is an accusation? A motive?  What if someone consensually had sex with another person, but that person says it was rape? 

#9 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Castermhief117 said:

Speaking of which, I really don't get how the general law even works when it comes to rape. Do all they need to convict someone of rape is an accusation? A motive? What if someone consensually had sex with another person, but that person says it was rape?

I was wondering this as well... I fear having a girlfriend if she has the capable powers of saying I am something I am not...

#10 Posted by Hero_Swe (1175 posts) -

Meanwhile, Anita Sarkeesian gets 150k from white knights when she asked for 6k. Yay go white knights and loudmouthed feminists!

#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Ummm if she's admitted it was a fabrication, is he not suing the state and getting her arrested? That's kind of a big deal if he isn't bullshitting

Because he had a shitty lawyer that convinced him to take the plea...

#12 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Hero_Swe said:

Meanwhile, Anita Sarkeesian gets 150k from white knights when she asked for 6k. Yay go white knights and loudmouthed feminists!

I know... Also this is somehow very funny that you are saying that with a Zap Brannigan avatar...

But seriously people we are all human beings! I don't care if you are white or black, or even if you have purple skin with blue pokka dots! You are a human being that has evolved from 4 BILLION years of evolutionary advancement! ACT LIKE IT!!!

#13 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5036 posts) -

@Jay444111: I'm with you, but what if this behaviour is what 'being human' really is and being human (the way you mean it) is just a fantasy? I know, it's a really sad way to look at things, but reality is way sadder.

And not everyone here is human, at least one of us is from the Moon (looking at you ).

#14 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

Ah man. That sucks so hard.

They should list her a registered sex offender for 5 years as punishment... or at least force her to get a "CUNT" tattoo tatted on her forehead.

#15 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (493 posts) -

Man that is fucking terrible. The shit that dude must of been through doesn't bare thinking about. I doubt i'd be strong enough.

#16 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

She deserves a good ol' fashion tar n feathers.....on roller skates down the steepest hill in San Fran with no protective equipment.

#17 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3221 posts) -

You guys want to do something, pay some money or spread this around forums. What happened to this guy mustn't go unpunished.

#18 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

Consider him 10 bucks closer to his cause!

#19 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

The sad truth is that this does indeed happen.
A girl in my study group once wanted to do the very same thing since she felt her boyfriend was gonna break up with her...so her plan was to frame him for raping her even though they had a a normal relationship and such a thing never happened.

I see it as downright criminal and a abuse of power, because seeing stories like this just makes it so much more obvious that we girls can accomplish a lot with a few tears.
Wish I had money to donate, I already support other charities and such for rape victims, he's asking for quite a bit though.

#20 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2187 posts) -

But then, last year, a chunk of luck fell from the stars. Out of the blue, Gibson, then 24, sent Banks a Facebook friend request.

Banks slammed the laptop cover down and jumped out of his chair. Was somebody playing a joke on him?

He looked again. Amazing. Gibson had typed, "Let's let bygones be bygones."

Easy for her to say. She didn't watch 10 years of her life go by.

"She was adamant about meeting me," Banks says. "I asked my brother [Freddy], 'What should I do?' He said, 'Whatever you do, make sure you play chess, not checkers.'"

Banks' first move: To get everything she said on tape. He hired a private investigator and met Gibson in the man's office, where every conversation was secretly videotaped. The tape recorded Gibson saying, clearly, "No, he did not rape me."

Was he nervous she wouldn't say it?

"I didn't have to get her to say anything," Banks said. "She came into the room expressing herself. She even came back the next day. The investigator asked her again, point blank. 'Did Brian rape you?' 'No.' 'Did he kidnap you?' 'No.'"

And why would Gibson meet with Banks in the first place? Was it a trap? Was it guilt? No. Banks thinks Gibson -- are you ready for this? -- was hoping to get back together.

"You read the texts and that's the only conclusion you come to," says a source who worked on the case. "She seems absolutely clue-free about what she did to him."

Goddamn, that woman is a dumbass piece of shit.

#21 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Read the article. Amazing that he could just move on like that if all this works out. I feel like this is something I'd never be able to forgive anyone for.

#22 Posted by Village_Guy (2630 posts) -

These kind of cases are usually messed up, and the women in question are usually horrible people.

I've heard of a couple of other cases, and yeah, it seems like in most of the cases the women go free even after having been exposed...

#23 Posted by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

Literally all of his hopes and dreams were crushed (let's be serious, the chances that he makes it to the NFL now are practically nonexistent) and spent 5 years of the prime of his life in prison for something he didn't do. This is so much more important than that stupid sexist video game crap, but I doubt people will care even a fraction as much as the 50 threads that are made about the feminist stuff ;~;

#24 Edited by Shady (503 posts) -

It sucks so much that he was scared into taking the plea deal. He was convinced that he'd have no chance of winning because he was a young black man even though there was no evidence to prove the accusation was true. Worst of all is that this only happened ten years ago. Why we're focusing on sexism in video games instead of real life injustice and actual examples of race and sex in law is beyond me. Still, it is amazing that he is able to not hold a grudge over all this. I doubt I could be as forgiving.

#25 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Sick fucker. Reminds me of my sister.

#26 Posted by Hero_Swe (1175 posts) -

This does need more attention

#27 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I hope he is able to reach his target and hopefully gets some justice for the terrible ordeal that he has gone through.

#28 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -
#29 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

@Jay444111: Don't worry only really skuzzy chicks scream rape bro. Date a nerdy girl nobody pays attention to, you'll be set.

Any how sadly, society has a double standard with this shit all the time. Woman have gotten away with lying about being rape or beaten by their boyfriends/husbands and get away with it constantly. I've met a few chicks like that, for everyone saying the story is fishy, meet more women please. Some chicks are just messed up like that.

#30 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Wow, that stupid fucking whore. At least the story is getting out there

#31 Posted by EXTomar (4838 posts) -

These are kind of documentaries that are perfect for Netflix. I hope they can get it funded and push it to streaming services.

#32 Edited by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

He is too nice if he just let her go without punishment for what she did to him. I wouldn't be so forgiving. But best of luck to him.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Jay444111: I'm with you, but what if this behaviour is what 'being human' really is and being human (the way you mean it) is just a fantasy?

It totally is.....wait, what's this thread about, again?

#34 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3903 posts) -
@theredcoat24

well it looks like this guy has gotten some more luck , I would sure as hell sue the state and that bitch

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/brian-banks-next-nfl-stop-san-francisco-49ers.html

the worse thing about false rape cases is the effect it has on actual rape cases, I bet there's gonna be more skepticism from now on, which I bet is gonna let a actual rapist get away.

This is great. I think he's had to deal with as much crap as any one person deserves hopefully its all up from here. What a nightmare.
#35 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

Looks like it's up a thousand since I first posted, nice job to whichever duders decided to back the project.

Even if you don't have any money simply spreading the word will help out a lot. There are 9 days left, so it needs as much exposure it can get as quickly as it can. You never know which one of your friends or family just might happen to be in a generous mood.

#36 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

So I guess this is the opposite spectrum of all the sexist threads. I'm gonna just say "nope" and leave.

#37 Posted by Marcsman (3223 posts) -

She is a rotten no good bitch.

#38 Posted by Gabriel (4067 posts) -

This deserves to be on Kickstarter and get 500,000, not some shitty I-Phone game.

#39 Posted by GaspoweR (3166 posts) -

If you got a call from sports team that they want you to work out withnthem im sure that helps with the feeling of being wronged. At the very least he can now live out his dreams because he is already proven innocent... Now the test would be if he becomes a football player that someone might take advantage and do itto him all over again... Now that part would suck bg time.

#40 Posted by GaspoweR (3166 posts) -

Sorry for the typos and wrong grammar... Cant even edit text using the text editor on ios... :/

#41 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

It was all over the news like two weeks ago, what's not legit about it? There's even video of the "victim" apologizing to Banks.

#42 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I really hope that the Kickstarter is successful, this case sounds all kinds of messed up.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@mandude

Sick fucker. Reminds me of my sister.

Your sister must be a real piece of work.
#44 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Hailinel: There's no one I dislike more.

#45 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Hero_Swe said:

I think I like you.

#46 Posted by Kaiserreich (709 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Hero_Swe said:

I think I like you.

B-but people said mean things! Her feelings got hurt!

#47 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@arch4non said:

@Akeldama said:

Here are a few news stories, I will try to find more.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-brian-banks-20120524,0,7941481.story

http://www.californiainnocenceproject.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100%253Adaniel-larsen&catid=2%253Aread-their-stories&Itemid=3

You guys have way too much faith in the justice system.

#48 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Kaiserreich said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Hero_Swe said:

I think I like you.

B-but people said mean things! Her feelings got hurt!

I think that it's because she's more annoying than Leigh Alexander, is she? Okay maybe not.

#49 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

I heard of this story about a few weeks ago, and it literally made me sick to my stomach that something like this happened. While it may seem surprising that he holds no ill will towards his former accuser, remember that he's known from the start that this was all a lie. So he's had all these years to come to terms with whatever vengeance he felt, and it most likely just vanished over time as he realized that revenge won't fix anything. That doesn't mean that the accuser should go unpunished, but it's looking like no legal action will be taken against her, which is a damn shame.

I've been considering donating to his cause, I mean, I already follow the guy on Twitter, and I plan to casually follow his football career (if he miraculously makes a team) so I might chip in a few bucks to the kickstarter. I know it deserves WAYYY more money than it has right now, and given how Republique pulled off some last minute miracles to get itself funded, I have high hopes for his kickstarter.

#50 Edited by UncleClassy (405 posts) -
@Castermhief117 said:

Speaking of which, I really don't get how the general law even works when it comes to rape.   Do all they need to convict someone of rape is an accusation? A motive?  What if someone consensually had sex with another person, but that person says it was rape? 

That happened to a guy I went to high school with. He was dating a girl in my class who was a fucking insane sociopath that consented to having sex with him and then afterwards said that he raped her.
I don't think he did any jail time but he went through a couple years of legal troubles.