The Death of JRPG’s

jesterproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jesterproof

This week I had an itch for a certain genre of video game that couldn’t be quenched. This disappointment drove me to write this piece. My itch wasn’t for an action game or adventure and not for the overly abundant FPS. It was for the very rare and dying breed of Japanese Role-Playing Game (JRPG). So as I browsed the PS3 and Xbox 360 titles to satisfy my addiction a clerk came up and asked me if I needed help so I told him what I was looking for. I described how I wanted a modern day JRPG that was long and had characters, which have ridiculous over exaggerated emotions, some chick putting up the peace sign for no reason, and some animal mascot that can talk. After I was done describing the game I was looking for he informed me there was nothing like that for both systems but that the DS had some games like that. Is it me or wasn’t there plenty of JRPG’s that fit that description for the PS2. Was it just a fad for that time if so then what happens to those people who enjoy that genre we are left out to dry while FPS games are becoming to ridiculous in number? Whatever happened to games like Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3-4, and Arc the Lad. I just don’t want to settle for something that is subpar and should you?

jesterproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jesterproof

This week I had an itch for a certain genre of video game that couldn’t be quenched. This disappointment drove me to write this piece. My itch wasn’t for an action game or adventure and not for the overly abundant FPS. It was for the very rare and dying breed of Japanese Role-Playing Game (JRPG). So as I browsed the PS3 and Xbox 360 titles to satisfy my addiction a clerk came up and asked me if I needed help so I told him what I was looking for. I described how I wanted a modern day JRPG that was long and had characters, which have ridiculous over exaggerated emotions, some chick putting up the peace sign for no reason, and some animal mascot that can talk. After I was done describing the game I was looking for he informed me there was nothing like that for both systems but that the DS had some games like that. Is it me or wasn’t there plenty of JRPG’s that fit that description for the PS2. Was it just a fad for that time if so then what happens to those people who enjoy that genre we are left out to dry while FPS games are becoming to ridiculous in number? Whatever happened to games like Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3-4, and Arc the Lad. I just don’t want to settle for something that is subpar and should you?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

Demon's Souls. Go play it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, and Shin Megami Tensei:  Strange Journey were all released in the U.S. last month alone.  Dead genre?  What?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Dude. If you like all that there are so many games for you. Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddysey, Infinite Undiscovery. To name a few.

Adranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adranus

Nothing happened to Persona. Persona 5 has been more or less announced.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mutha3

Strange Journey is pretty damn good.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By lightsoda

You might want to look up 
Tales of Vesperia 
Record of Agarest War 
Star Ocean: The Last Hope 

Haven't played em personally, yet, but I intend to some day.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Akeldama: I'm not sure if one could consider Demon's Soul's a full fledged JRPG. It was published by Atlus, but the gameplay feels like a hybrid of western and japanese rpg concepts. 
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @Akeldama: I'm not sure if one could consider Demon's Soul's a full fledged JRPG. It was published by Atlus, but the gameplay feels like a hybrid of western and japanese rpg concepts.  "
True. It still has alot of the JRPG sensibilities though. Hell of a game as well.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By animateria

Resonance of Fate.

Lots of goofy stuff going on. And it's long. 

Tales of Vesperia is totally what you are describing though.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Akeldama: I agree, it is a great game. It really did a good job of taking the best of both worlds and making them work well.
jesterproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jesterproof
@animateria: I remember playing tales of symphonia is the combat the same as that and is it for x360 or ps3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Whatever happened to Persona? It was released December 08, give it a break, not like that's an age ago.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Skald
@Hailinel said:
" Dead genre?  What? "
Yeah. What?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@Kowbrainz said:
" Whatever happened to Persona? It was released December 08, give it a break, not like that's an age ago. "
And the Persona 1 remake was released last year.  And Persona 3 Portable is coming out in the U.S. in July.
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By MetalBaofu
@jesterproof said:

" @animateria: I remember playing tales of symphonia is the combat the same as that and is it for x360 or ps3. "

Tales of Vesperia is for the 360, and yes...the combat is really similar with Tales of Symphonia.....that style is pretty much a standard among all of the "Tales of..." games.

Edit:  Wanted to add that along with the games already mentioned here I also really enjoyed MagnaCarta 2 for the 360.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By animateria
@jesterproof said:
" @animateria: I remember playing tales of symphonia is the combat the same as that and is it for x360 or ps3. "
It's only for the 360 so far (Japan got a PS3 version but it doesn't seem like it's coming to the States, damn shame), so I can't play it and have no clue sadly.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
@jesterproof said:
It's for the 360, unless you can fully understand Japanese and have the money to spare for an import you can get the PS3 version. I hear that it's a hard game to come by these days though. The combat is awesome and it's long and there is SO MUCH to do.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

You're clearly not looking at all. Im not looking for Polka songs, and since they can't find me I guess Polka's dead. No dude no. Infinite Space, Strange Journey, Resonance of Fate, and FF13 came out within a 2 week span. Sakura Wars came out like 2 weeks ago. Meanwhile, how many FPSs came out?

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hai2u

ff13 sounds like the perfect game for u.

jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By jj984jj

FFXIII and Resonance of Fate just came out last month. But yeah, if you only want them on PS360 then you're out of luck since they're the worst selling systems in Japan this generation. Now that MS has given up on funding JRPGs you're not going to get as many decent HD efforts. Hopefully Atlus reveal what they've been making for HD consoles soon. Hope Namco has some more plans for Tales worldwide on HD consoles. tri-Ace said they'll be continuing on HD consoles this generation, but RoF was the first good effort from them out of 3 so far. FFvXIII sounds like it'll take a while, but there's that too. Honestly though if you want more then you'll have to look to the handhelds, or maybe Nintendo will be able to get some more JRPGs on Wii with their own efforts (Xenoblade and The Last Story) and DQX. Having all 5 systems is the only way to get the best.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22  Edited By Symphony

Yeah, JRPGs are dead, and you killed them. 

I hope you're happy! 

/trolling because for fuck's sake -- can NO ONE do research any more before making some stupid "this genre is dead" claim? Hell, you could do a thread search for "JRPG" + "Death of" and come up with a hundred of these same threads all with a ton of answers from the same people responding here.  

Grrrr! 

And yeah, what some others have already said -- You described Tales of Vesperia, so go play it.

jesterproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jesterproof
@jj984jj: Makes me wish i didn't sell my Wii.