LOL?
ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By ApolloJ85

There's no point talking about how it sounds, the differences in pronunciation vary so wildly from one person to the next. Someone from Bristol will sound completely different to someone from Leeds, and the same goes for Boston and New Orleans. The real difference is in the spelling, and because so many people can't spell anyway, what's the big deal if American English cuts out a few letters? Some people can't even use an apostrophe properly.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm fine with either version of the 'English Language'

But the way Americans say Iraq and Iran is what gets to me, like nails down a chalkboard. No offence to my American friends, we English are as bad. 

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By tebbit

It has always fucked me off how American English pronounces the word "Herb"

Hey assholes, is the H silent?

No?

Then say the fucking H! It's right there in the word! I don't go around "aking out etters ust ecause I eel ike t".

It's herb. Say it with me: "herb".

GOD!

(re: I'm not actually that angry about it, but I do find it rather peculiar)

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Yanngc33

favourite thats all i have to say

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By FesteringNeon

haha, this is going splendidly.

I have no preference really, no ones better than one another.. If you're raised a certain way, or you took your own route influenced by your surroundings, it's not entirely your fault, and there is no right or wrong. I am horrible at editorial skills, but hope most of you will forgive me by default, so I don't have to say "sorry for my writing skills" everytime I talk. Why not just be yourself, and fuck others who want to point out the flaws in your use of any language. If you can't be bothered to listen to a form of ebonics within a language, there's plenty of other places to get your information/entertainment.  I wouldn't want someone to say they know everything better than I because they have gotten a better education, and were raised with better advantages... It's time we help, and not hate!

I struggle with English accents, and understanding sometimes... This is why I have a hard time watching the original "The Office".. I somewhat get British humor (a little) and would love to have fast sentences come second nature.. but I grew up with ND's.. which get made fun of as well.. well..just aboot. (the movie Fargo exaggerates a tish)

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#57  Edited By bibamatt

It's already been said but, nevermind how American English differs to English; just look at how English differs across the UK.  

For example, the amount of different words we have for cob (or bread roll, or bap, or barn cake, etc).  I mean, within the UK we have major differences in Scotland, England, Wales and NI, never mind the differences in another continent!  

I always find it bizarre when people argue the pronunciation of aluminium.  If I understand correctly, don't American's spell is without one of the 'i's (aluminum?) thus meaning their pronunciation is perfectly acceptable?  We all spell things differently/say things differently.  There's no need to be a dick about it.  

Language is ace!

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By s10129107
@Twisted_Scot: i personally wash after i use the toilet
JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By JoMu

What Americans call a Season for a TV show, British people call it a Series.   So, do they have a word for what Americans call a Series?

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By DeckardLee
@Tebbit:  LOL, wrong.

Which version is right depends on whether you take the French root ('erb) or the British root (herb). Global dictionaries allow for both pronunciations.

Besidesm 'erb sounds much better than herb. That damn 'H' is so stupidly awkward.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By hockeymask27

After watching cornation street with my parents for so many years. I kind of use to it. Plus its not really a bad thing.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By vitor
@mfpantst said:
" in america you put it in the trunk, in england in the boot. "
That's what she said.

BOOM!
J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By J12088

You started off on the wrong foot by saying "British English". Never have i ever called it that. It's just English.

That's my nitpicking done i can move on and say i couldn't give a toss about either. As others have said our language is so varied and different across the UK I probably understand Americans a lot clearer than i do some people from the far north.

What does annoy me however is how Americans do there dates. It's day, month, year. Shortest to longest. Not month, day, year. That makes no sense to me.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By imsh_pl
@J12088 said:
" You started off on the wrong foot by saying "British English". Never have i ever called it that. It's just English. That's my nitpicking done i can move on and say i couldn't give a toss about either. As others have said our language is so varied and different across the UK I probably understand Americans a lot clearer than i do some people from the far north.What does annoy me however is how Americans do there dates. It's day, month, year. Shortest to longest. Not month, day, year. That makes no sense to me. "

No Caption Provided
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MisterChief

Why the fuck do we spell center, centre?

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By J12088
@MisterChief said:
" Why the fuck do we spell center, centre? "
Because a center is a completely different thing.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MisterChief
@J12088 said:

" @MisterChief said:

" Why the fuck do we spell center, centre? "
Because a center is a completely different thing. "
You're right. You just blew my mind. Apparently here in New Zealand there is a Center Place Shopping Centre. But as I am writing this Firefox is telling me center is misspelled so I dunno.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Red12b
@KaosAngel said:
" As an American learning the ways of British English, I can safely say that the British are overly complex, too complex for their own good.

American English is straight to the point, while being accurate.   When I say I want to use the bathroom, I go like "yo bitches, where's the piss hole?", while in British English they state, "Cheerio good chap, my buttox is in need of emptying, and thus I need to use the room of which I may empty my feces.  God save the Queen."    

As you can see, American English is far more quicker and to the point. Again, it's different cultures so it's understandable.
"
Yo fucker, where my skull
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By TehFlan
@Tebbit: The H is definitely silent; don't be crazy.

Also, for those complaining about his use of "British English", no one in America says "American English", either. It was just a way to differentiate.
Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Thoseposers

Whenever i'd watch harry potter i'd always turn the subtitles on so that i could understand everything those wankers were saying :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47 said:

" The difference is when I watch a documentary, I understand what they are saying, that's american english. For british english english, I have to rewind it a hundred times in a row because they stutter and say things so fast like everyone can decode their accent. I mean we call it vitamins, they call it vee ta mins. Imagine watching a documentary on that and hearing it a hundred times and rewinding it constantly. That's all i'm saying. With american english, it's straight to the point."

Accent =/= Language. I'm sure there are unintelligible American accents, too. It isn't a case of 'straight and to the point' at all. You have to rewind it because you haven't had a great deal of exposure to the accent, not because the language is any different.

The only differences are slight, and come down to occasionally differing vocabulary or spelling, which I'm sure are easily decipherable given context within a sentence.

Case in point: What I'm typing, right here, is what keeps being referred to as British English (in the sense that I am British and the one typing). In fact, unless I mention something particularly colloquial, you're unlikely to notice any differences between American or English standardisations.

Until I start talking, that is. You'd probably have to ask me to repeat myself a few times; but, again, that is nothing to do with language.

Further, you mention that 'We say vitamins'. Well, so do we. There are just pronunciation differences: 'VITE-A-MINS', in the states, and 'VIT-A-MINS' in the UK. The difference is like the pronunciation of bit versus bite (though, of course, those are actually two different words).
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@s10129107: Damn you and your fancy washing......oooo-la-la.  :)  Curtains are for wiping the spill.
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By IBurningStar

It is my understanding that British people call an eraser a rubber. So if you asked an American if he had a rubber for you to borrow, I'm sure that would cause a bit of an odd moment. Seeing as how rubber is a slang term for condom.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By TehFlan
@IBurningStar said:
" It is my understanding that British people call an eraser a rubber. So if you asked an American if he had a rubber for you to borrow, I'm sure that would cause a bit of an odd moment. Seeing as how rubber is a slang term for condom. "
There was a German exchange student at my school one year. During the middle of one of my classes, she turned around and asked the dude behind her for a rubber. The look on his face was priceless.
bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By bibamatt
@IBurningStar: @TehFlan: I'd hate to know how you'd feel when I'd ask you for a rubber because I need to rub something out.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@J12088 said:
" You started off on the wrong foot by saying "British English". Never have i ever called it that. It's just English. That's my nitpicking done i can move on and say i couldn't give a toss about either. As others have said our language is so varied and different across the UK I probably understand Americans a lot clearer than i do some people from the far north.What does annoy me however is how Americans do there dates. It's day, month, year. Shortest to longest. Not month, day, year. That makes no sense to me. "
There are 12 months, up to 31 days and ~9999 years. We do go from shortest to longest.
bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By bibamatt
@Fajita_Jim: I think he means shortest amount of time.  Like most specific...  

To be fair, I think it just comes down to how you say it.  American's tend to say 'May fourth' whereas Brit's would more likely say 'the fourth of May'.  I personally think the Brit way makes a load more sense, but that's probably because I've used it for 25 years and it's probably not the case if you've been bought up to use the other way.
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IBurningStar said:
" It is my understanding that British people call an eraser a rubber. So if you asked an American if he had a rubber for you to borrow, I'm sure that would cause a bit of an odd moment. Seeing as how rubber is a slang term for condom. "
yeah that happens all the time, walking naked out of your room with an erection asking people for a rubber and they give you a pencil eraser because the first assumption is that you must have been doing some nice line drawings and make a mistake
Wes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By Wes

I say there is quite a lot of chav speak going on.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@bibamatt said:
" @Fajita_Jim: I think he means shortest amount of time.  Like most specific...  

To be fair, I think it just comes down to how you say it.  American's tend to say 'May fourth' whereas Brit's would more likely say 'the fourth of May'.  I personally think the Brit way makes a load more sense, but that's probably because I've used it for 25 years and it's probably not the case if you've been bought up to use the other way.
"
It's actually for filing purposes. For instance, all May invoices together, all June invoices together, etc.
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By nemt

xfd do Americans really call cold on the cob "popsicles"  ?
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MikkaQ

Shopping basket? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

(No real offence intended)
J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By J12088
@Fajita_Jim said:

" @bibamatt said:

" @Fajita_Jim: I think he means shortest amount of time.  Like most specific...  
"
It's actually for filing purposes. For instance, all May invoices together, all June invoices together, etc. "
It makes a bit more sense now you've explained it. I still prefer our way. I'll give you sidewalk though. That's a better name for it than pavement. On the other hand we also call it a footpath...and that mak..oh man this is a can of worms that i don't want to open.
Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Verrückte Tommies! Alle!
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Tally_Pants

LOL the Colonies sure have grown up!
...manifest destiny! Bahahahaha! idiots

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TheGremp

Well, Brits call grilled cheese sandwiches "cheese toasties"...  That's just plain awful.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By bibamatt
@TheGremp said:
" Well, Brits call grilled cheese sandwiches "cheese toasties"...  That's just plain awful. "
I'd argue that we're more likely to call it a toasted cheese sandwich.  Which makes sense.  More sense than 'grilled cheese', which I hear all the time!
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By imsh_pl
@TheGremp said:
" Well, Brits call grilled cheese sandwiches "cheese toasties"...  That's just plain awful. "

Oi mate, that sounds bloody dangerous.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By dbz1995

You want something messed up? Jails! In British english they're gaols.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By imsh_pl

This is also relevant.

No Caption Provided
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TheGremp
@bibamatt said:
" @TheGremp said:
I'd argue that we're more likely to call it a toasted cheese sandwich.  Which makes sense.  More sense than 'grilled cheese', which I hear all the time! "
Silly, you don't put cheese in the toaster! I learned that the hard way. Had to go and buy a new toaster. :(
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#93  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

iamnottouchingthis.jpg

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By robot4me

There is an australian college professor who made a youtube lecture about the origins of the english language. It covers the difference between british, american, australian, and all other forms of english. If you want to know the differences check this out. Search youtube for differences in the spoken english language.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bibamatt said:

" @TheGremp said:

I'd argue that we're more likely to call it a toasted cheese sandwich.  Which makes sense.  More sense than 'grilled cheese', which I hear all the time! "
Isn't a 'grilled cheese' in the US two pieces of bread, which are then fried with cheese in the middle? So it should be a 'fried cheese', surely?  (Based purely on what I've seen in film/television/my brief jaunts to the states). 

It's called a 'cheese toastie' because, you know, we toast the bread... in... the... grill!?! 

...or, with the fabulous invention that is a toastie maker. God bless 'em. *makes cheese toastie*
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Gargantuan
@animateria: 

Damn you! I was going to post an Eddie Izzard video! 
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By animateria
@GetEveryone said:
" @bibamatt said:

" @TheGremp said:

Isn't a 'grilled cheese' in the US two pieces of bread, which are then fried with cheese in the middle? So it should be a 'fried cheese', surely?

It's called a 'cheese toastie' because, you know, we toast the bread. In the grill.

...or, with the fabulous invention that is a toastie maker. God bless 'em. *makes cheese toastie*

"
We don't fry the cheese. We use regular cheese and toast the bread.  In the grill.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animateria: I don't think the irony of my realisation that we actually grill it came through well enough - fixed it.

Take it from me that it is hard on irony and I felt stupid.

Still... 'I'm having a toastie', sound pretty sweet.