• 50 results
#1 Edited by BigJeffrey (5142 posts) -

[MOD EDIT: The full film has now been released.]

Loading Video...

Very Very dumb premise but man i love the over the top dumb I'd watch it. It's in kickstarter but its already funded 1 day in. Not trying to pimp their shit, the trailer must been seen by all its so dumb.

Loading Video...
#2 Posted by Sammo21 (4219 posts) -

Yeah, that was pretty dumb. I can't see the point in a full length film as many premises like this do better in short 5-10 minute doses. A perfect example was when Aqua Teen Hunger Force decided to make a full movie. Glad they found enough people to give them money .

#3 Posted by Cubical (667 posts) -

I am thinking about taking up that offer for 3d artist to work on this movie....

#4 Posted by Redbullet685 (6222 posts) -

That was dumb. So dumb.

And I couldn't help but love every god damn second of it

#5 Edited by BigJeffrey (5142 posts) -

So the movie has hit 300,000 bucks and they are going to release the first 30 minutes free online.

#6 Posted by Pezen (1817 posts) -

That trailer is telling me three things;

1. What the fuck is up with this whole satire 80s VHS revival that's going over all sorts of media and entertainment this year?
  2. I am looking at too many bodybuilding articles when I recognize who's playing Thor just by the beard and physique.
  3. It looks like a big string of bad internet jokes in one movie.

The fact that they're Swedish is fun, as the Swedish film institue tend to fund pretty shitty projects in general. And as someone that knows people in the know, getting a project that's out of the ordinary romcom or crime drama category off the ground is near impossible by the sound of it. Glad they're finding other avenues for funding. All that said, it looks pretty great.

#7 Posted by cutyoface (575 posts) -

It looks decent enough for a viewing. It does look very dumb but in a good way.

#8 Posted by DrZing (172 posts) -

Totally ridiculous and awesome, so it's a cross between Back to the Future, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry Blood Dragon? Sold!

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1493 posts) -

that is the best thing ever

#10 Posted by Flappy (2406 posts) -

Nothing is more fun/dumb than Kung Fu Hustle.

#11 Edited by RandyF (189 posts) -

That was funny, but I feel like the trailer should be a sufficient enough joke. I think if you stretch it out to 90+ minutes, it might lose its appeal.

#12 Posted by Scampbell (504 posts) -

#13 Posted by Humanity (11851 posts) -

Seems legit.

#14 Edited by awesomeusername (4537 posts) -

Fucking. Awesome. Holy keyboard, if you read my description for FC3: Blood Dragon & Hotline Miami on my GOTY list, you'll see that I said I love 80's stuff and this. This is just YES.

#15 Edited by GunstarRed (5884 posts) -

I clicked on it expecting it to be the usual dumb bullshit and found it to be genuinely funny. Dunno if it would stretch to a whole movie though.

#16 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (1134 posts) -

Sorry about waking this thread from the dead, but the movie is out! It's only 30 minutes though... yet, I feel that is the perfect length.
The movie is full of bad puns, awful acting and stupid shit. I love it.

Loading Video...

#17 Edited by Chaser324 (7188 posts) -

It's alright, but I honestly feel like it's a little too dumb and over-stylized. There's very little substance here.

Also, Danger 5 already did all of this but better.

#18 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (7030 posts) -

@chaser324: Danger 5 was so fucking good. Man, I love thwt show.

I feel like based on length and average silliness alone, there are much better options out there. Look up Six String Samurai, for example.

#19 Posted by Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius (93 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

Yeah, that was pretty dumb. I can't see the point in a full length film as many premises like this do better in short 5-10 minute doses. A perfect example was when Aqua Teen Hunger Force decided to make a full movie. Glad they found enough people to give them money .

I went to a test screening of that.

The silence after the first couple minutes of the movie was so uncomfortable, the people that made it were in the back of the theater.

#20 Posted by Sammo21 (4219 posts) -

@excitable_misunderstood_genius: Friends and I were massive fans of Aqua teen hunger force and we saw the film the day it came out . I honestly can't recall one funny thing from the film .

#21 Posted by audioBusting (1776 posts) -

I was on board until I was 8 minutes in and realized some of these jokes were the same jokes done in Danger 5 but worse. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that...

#22 Posted by Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius (93 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

@excitable_misunderstood_genius: Friends and I were massive fans of Aqua teen hunger force and we saw the film the day it came out . I honestly can't recall one funny thing from the film .

I don't recall any specifics, but I feel like in the very beginning there was a laugh, making it all the more conspicuous when there wasn't a single one again. I was too embarrassed to even look in the usher's eyes when leaving.

#23 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1536 posts) -

I don't know if anyone knows this, but it's also on Steam for free. The "movie" that is.

#24 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (5008 posts) -
Loading Video...

Nobody hassles the Hoff9000

#25 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (668 posts) -

That is amazing.

#26 Posted by skurk (53 posts) -

A time-traveling Hitler played by an actor of Italian descent in an 80s throwback comedy featuring a guy with a triceratops head and someone getting shot through a telephone, that can't really be one long string of coincidences.

#27 Edited by Karkarov (3387 posts) -

This is clearly the best movie of the year. If it doesn't sweep the academy awards a fix will be obvious. No seriously though, for fans of schlocky kung fu movies and 80's crazy shit this video is pure awesome.

#28 Posted by wohlf (84 posts) -

I've never seen Danger 5, but I really had a good laugh at this.

#29 Edited by Dezztroy (941 posts) -

As someone who is Swedish, the mustache part had me laughing quite a bit. Not sure it really plays if you don't speak swedish though?

I liked the movie overall.

#30 Edited by MachoFantastico (5585 posts) -

I do love the music video to, something oh so charming about it.

Loading Video...

#31 Posted by SubwayD (689 posts) -

It's like the 80s, as imagined by people who weren't even born in the 80s.

#32 Posted by Veektarius (5424 posts) -

@chaser324: Danger 5 was so fucking good. Man, I love thwt show.

I feel like based on length and average silliness alone, there are much better options out there. Look up Six String Samurai, for example.

I had just watched Danger 5 earlier this week and the similarity was immediate. I couldn't help but feel like Kung Fury didn't play things straight enough. That said, I liked, not loved it.

Six String Samurai is totally different. Man, I haven't seen that movie in forever; it's wild.

#33 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1363 posts) -

Wore out its welcome after about five minutes, for me. Sorry Kung Fury, you lost me at Triceracop.

Comedians have an expression: Don't put a hat on a hat -- in other words, one premise at a time. This thing is like a hat on a hat on a hat on a hat on a triceratops on a hat.

#34 Posted by stryker1121 (1817 posts) -

Wore out its welcome after about five minutes, for me. Sorry Kung Fury, you lost me at Triceracop.

Comedians have an expression: Don't put a hat on a hat -- in other words, one premise at a time. This thing is like a hat on a hat on a hat on a hat on a triceratops on a hat.

Yeah, your comedy analogy reflects my feelings nicely. There's too much random wackiness here for it to stick. It's like a junior high school kid's doodlings come to life.

#35 Posted by BigJeffrey (5142 posts) -

I watched it, it was okay. VFX were the impressive part. Some part ehhhh, some other parts okay.

#36 Posted by Moonshadow101 (628 posts) -

That was pretty great until the main character showed up.

#37 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (5008 posts) -

That was pretty great until the main character showed up.

Yup the beginning of it was just so strong. Soundtrack is probably the best thing about this for me because the 80's aesthetic plus music kept me watching

#38 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1565 posts) -

Well that was silly. Not as strong as I hoped. I totally chuckled a few times, but it felt kinda random a lot of the time I don't feel like those 30 minutes were wasted, though. The visual effects were actually impressive.

#39 Posted by Sanj (2729 posts) -

This was incredible, I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about.

#40 Posted by Capum15 (5141 posts) -
@sanj said:

This was incredible, I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about.

Agreed.

#41 Edited by Giant_Gamer (309 posts) -

I saw the trailer at steam today and i was like where is the game part of all of this. Then i scrolled down and i read "Watch". Then i was like oh, it's a movie.. Interesting. I might check it out today since it's free and only 30 minutes long.

#42 Posted by ChoboBot (192 posts) -

I watched about 15 mins of Kung Fury and felt that it was too over-the-top and the story didn't flow well and was a bit random.

I don't know why but when watching it, I got nostalgic for Big Trouble in Little China, a movie that is toned down compared to Kung Fury but still got the cheesiness to it.

#43 Posted by Humanity (11851 posts) -

A lot of the action and special effects are really well done. Like others mentioned, the writing sort of got away from them at times but I obviously theres probably millions of people out there who will love it for that exact reason. Lets say it's written with a YouTube audience in mind.

Anyway hats off to them for getting it done. Taste aside, it's a really astounding effort.

#44 Posted by Shindig (1381 posts) -

Its a lot of effort for a short thing that's so dumb. I enjoyed it but probably won't a second time around. Its clearly a thing made by the internet, mind.

"Hey, remember these things. These things need to be in it." Kinda like how twitch chat is a car crash of meme-y destruction.

#45 Posted by The_King_Monkey (4 posts) -

That was a fun watch, it put a smile on my face. Gonna hunt down the soundtrack and keep the vibe going.

#46 Posted by billmcneal (491 posts) -

it's Pat is a pretty dumb/fun movie

#47 Posted by planetfunksquad (837 posts) -

"Hey, remember all those things you liked in the 80's?" the Movie. Now with added slapstick irony.

I got 4 minutes in and had to stop. Soundtrack seems cool.

#49 Posted by Pezen (1817 posts) -

I loved it. Also, the popularity cash-in iOS game is better than it has any right to be. It's basically One Finger Death Punch in a Kung Fury skin.

#50 Posted by helvetica (147 posts) -

@chobobot: Big Trouble in Little China is an amazing movie. I just re-watched it the other day!

I enjoyed the Kung Fury trailer more than the movie. I am a big fan of goofy movies but this one didn't tickle my funny bone. Thor does have great pecs though.