• 52 results
Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

I used to be a big fan of G4. I remember back in 2004 channel surfing and stumbling upon a show talking about Half-Life 2. I stopped and watched it and after it was over, a show called X-Play came on. The set had a bar and furniture that reminded me of building blocks. Still, I was sold and I started watching what I eventually found out was a channel known as G4TechTV.

I loved Icons, Judgment Day, and G4tv.com. When it debut in 2005, I started watching Attack of the Show and although I wasn’t that into it at first and stopped watching when Olivia Munn first came on, the show improved and I started watching it everyday. My favorite show however was X-Play, especially in 2005. The reoccurring characters, the various sketches, and the funny yet critical reviews hooked me instantly.

Having said that, the channel has been in a slump for sometime now. I tend to think that the channel lost its magic after many of the shows were canceled and reruns of Cops and Cheaters filled the daily schedule. However, I still watched X-Play and Attack of the Show, which remained solid. The downturn was ironically first signaled the reinvention of X-Play.

In 2008, X-Play became a more journalistic show, focusing on critical reviews and previews and less on comedy. While at first I liked this change (although I sorely missed the skits), a half an hour proved to be not enough time to do all the new show wanted to do. Reviews that used to be four minutes long and more detailed despite comedy being mixed in, became two to three minute summaries that really didn’t tell me why the game was good or bad. Similarly, previews became listing of features rather than impressions and reporting of the game in question. The show has been in this rut ever since.

The next signal was when Olivia Munn left Attack of the Show. AOTS was at its best during 2008 and 2009 when the hosts consisted of Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Alison Haislip and Chris Hardwick. However in 2010, Munn just dropped off the show for long periods of time. No explanation was given until Comic Con that year when she announced what we had already guessed.

Her replacement was Candace Bailey and while she has a lot of hosting experience and is charming on camera, she doesn’t really belong on a show like AOTS and she didn’t have the chemistry with Kevin Pereira like Olivia Munn did. The show became very different in tone, with Kevin Pereira being the only one on the show who seemed to belong there. Sara Underwood doesn’t help things.

The final straw for the channel however was the departure of Alison Haislip, Adam Sessler, and Kevin Pereira in November 2011, April 2012, and June 2012 respectively. Losing three of its four most popular hosts proved to be too much and G4 has loss a lot of its credibility. Proof of this can be seen in G4’s loss of its E3 exclusivity this year. Morgan Webb is the only resemblance of the channel it once was and many are predicting her inevitable departure, especially with the announcement that G4 will be rebranded in 2013.

When I heard about this news, I wasn’t surprised. I knew the channel would have a hard time recovering from the loss of three of its hosts but I hoped that something or someone would come along and bring G4 back from the dead. This looks not to be the case and the channel is going to be rebranded to resemble content you would find in a GQ magazine and resemble Spike TV. I will say that Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood would fit perfectly on a GQ-style network.

For a short time, a nerd culture TV channel was a reality but it hasn’t been around for a long time, partially due to G4’s loss of direction but mostly due to the audience moving to the internet. Fortunately, G4-like content is still available online. Web shows like Classic Game Room, The Angry Joe Show and The Destructoid Show are great substitutes. Hell, 4Points (featuring Alison Haislip) is basically The View for nerds. So I just say lets put G4TV to rest and remember the good times by someone uploading old G4 and Tech TV shows online, all on one site. Oh and Morgan Webb, Blair Herter and Jessica Chobot, as the only good things about the channel now, you jump off that sinking ship now! Chobot’s got an in at IGN. Take advantage of that!

#1 Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

I used to be a big fan of G4. I remember back in 2004 channel surfing and stumbling upon a show talking about Half-Life 2. I stopped and watched it and after it was over, a show called X-Play came on. The set had a bar and furniture that reminded me of building blocks. Still, I was sold and I started watching what I eventually found out was a channel known as G4TechTV.

I loved Icons, Judgment Day, and G4tv.com. When it debut in 2005, I started watching Attack of the Show and although I wasn’t that into it at first and stopped watching when Olivia Munn first came on, the show improved and I started watching it everyday. My favorite show however was X-Play, especially in 2005. The reoccurring characters, the various sketches, and the funny yet critical reviews hooked me instantly.

Having said that, the channel has been in a slump for sometime now. I tend to think that the channel lost its magic after many of the shows were canceled and reruns of Cops and Cheaters filled the daily schedule. However, I still watched X-Play and Attack of the Show, which remained solid. The downturn was ironically first signaled the reinvention of X-Play.

In 2008, X-Play became a more journalistic show, focusing on critical reviews and previews and less on comedy. While at first I liked this change (although I sorely missed the skits), a half an hour proved to be not enough time to do all the new show wanted to do. Reviews that used to be four minutes long and more detailed despite comedy being mixed in, became two to three minute summaries that really didn’t tell me why the game was good or bad. Similarly, previews became listing of features rather than impressions and reporting of the game in question. The show has been in this rut ever since.

The next signal was when Olivia Munn left Attack of the Show. AOTS was at its best during 2008 and 2009 when the hosts consisted of Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Alison Haislip and Chris Hardwick. However in 2010, Munn just dropped off the show for long periods of time. No explanation was given until Comic Con that year when she announced what we had already guessed.

Her replacement was Candace Bailey and while she has a lot of hosting experience and is charming on camera, she doesn’t really belong on a show like AOTS and she didn’t have the chemistry with Kevin Pereira like Olivia Munn did. The show became very different in tone, with Kevin Pereira being the only one on the show who seemed to belong there. Sara Underwood doesn’t help things.

The final straw for the channel however was the departure of Alison Haislip, Adam Sessler, and Kevin Pereira in November 2011, April 2012, and June 2012 respectively. Losing three of its four most popular hosts proved to be too much and G4 has loss a lot of its credibility. Proof of this can be seen in G4’s loss of its E3 exclusivity this year. Morgan Webb is the only resemblance of the channel it once was and many are predicting her inevitable departure, especially with the announcement that G4 will be rebranded in 2013.

When I heard about this news, I wasn’t surprised. I knew the channel would have a hard time recovering from the loss of three of its hosts but I hoped that something or someone would come along and bring G4 back from the dead. This looks not to be the case and the channel is going to be rebranded to resemble content you would find in a GQ magazine and resemble Spike TV. I will say that Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood would fit perfectly on a GQ-style network.

For a short time, a nerd culture TV channel was a reality but it hasn’t been around for a long time, partially due to G4’s loss of direction but mostly due to the audience moving to the internet. Fortunately, G4-like content is still available online. Web shows like Classic Game Room, The Angry Joe Show and The Destructoid Show are great substitutes. Hell, 4Points (featuring Alison Haislip) is basically The View for nerds. So I just say lets put G4TV to rest and remember the good times by someone uploading old G4 and Tech TV shows online, all on one site. Oh and Morgan Webb, Blair Herter and Jessica Chobot, as the only good things about the channel now, you jump off that sinking ship now! Chobot’s got an in at IGN. Take advantage of that!

#2 Posted by zombie2011 (5048 posts) -

G4 used to be great, but when they merged with TechTV it i stopped watching it. Judgement Day was the best!

#3 Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

@zombie2011: Huh. Usually, I hear people say it the other way around. They used to watch TechTV but when they merged with G4, they stopped watching.

#4 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

G4 was always terrible. When that channel stopped being TechTV and stopped being about video games and was more about reruns of COPS and Cheaters, it was no longer worth watching. Hell, they were basically riding on the popularity of XPlay for damn near half a decade with no attempts to make anything new or meaningful.

When Attack of the Show stopped being "The Screen Savers" it was no longer worth watching. I actually learned stuff from watching The Screen Savers, AOTS was a poor representation of dated news with awkward hosts.

#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yep, it's been dead to me for a 4 years now. i was channel surfing a few minutes ago to find out that i get G4 on this tv. i get regular cable with a few extra channels where i am, and then the family room has the more channels.

i'm sure judgement day / review on the run is still being made. review on the run is the candian version of the show. i saw it one time on tv but sadly don't know what channel it was on. that was a great show. victor and tommy always made me laugh just because they would fight about stuff. i one time met tommy on vacation. i was at san diego on vacation, not knowing comic con was going to be there. parents and i were leaving to go somewhere and tommy was in the elevator.

#6 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Haha the last time I watched AOTS was when Sarah Lane was still on it. Became shit after that but thats probably just my love of TechTV talking. Would watch XPlay, Screen Savers, Unscrewed, and all that jazz all the time. I miss that.

#7 Posted by Nux (2421 posts) -

I really liked G4 back when it was Tech TV. It had so meany good shows and for me X-Play was the best among them. I remember coming home from middle school everyday and watching Tech TV with my friends. Those were truly good times. Too bad G4 came in and recked that channel and turned X-Play into something that isn't even close to being as good as it used to be. RIP G4 I will always remember how good you used to be before you came and fucked everything up.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I agree with your last paragraph in fact I stopped watching Xplay when they stopped making skits and it turned into serious reviews, a little while later I found Giantbomb. I do hope Morgan Webb stays on screen, because she seems like an intelligent woman, who knows and loves games, and in a male dominated industry seeing a girl who knows her shit helps break conceptions, deserved or not.

#9 Posted by Thoseposers (791 posts) -

I agree with everyone else that Tech TV was where it was at. As soon as G4 came along everything sucked. I used to like xplay and the screen savers a lot but when that channel turned into COPS marathons and that method man show i couldn't keep watching. Oh and Wired for Sex

#10 Edited by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I hate to say it, but G4 was never an awesome network for me. Yes, they had a couple of good shows like X-Play and that one show where they had gaming tournaments. But once Tech TV and G4 merged, once Screensavers turned to Attack of the Show and Kevin Pereira took over as host, everything just turned to crap. Although, anytime I was channel surfing and landed on X-Play I always ended up watching it.

I should also note that I know Kevin Pereira is a good guy, but I just feel like he helped contribute turning Attack of the Show into another man show. If I wanted that, then I'll watch Spike TV.

#11 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

The Tech Tv stuff was more interesting. I think the best/hilarious thing still on that channel is Leo Laporte at like 4 AM.

Honourable mention though Fresh Ink introduced me to a lot of great Comics.

#12 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I still watch Ninja Warrior on it here and there, but yeah, the channel's pretty much abandoned gamers.

#13 Posted by JDW519 (156 posts) -

G4 was my go to game source until Giantbomb entered my life, but haven't watched anything on there in a long time, sad to see it go either way

#14 Edited by Dynablade (157 posts) -

Ziff DavisTV/TechTV I remember watching a lot of in the late 90s to early 2000s because there were some entertaining shows like GameSpot TV, Screen Savers, Call for Help, Anime Unleashed, etc. After G4 acquired TechTV my interest started to wane due in large part to all the repetitive gaming shows. Extended Play was alright, Icons was fun, Judgement Day was cool, but I could have cared less about G4TV.com.

I stopped watching G4 regularly when they cut most of the gaming shows and put on old reruns of Cops, Cheaters, Lost, and every other show. Basically in 2005-2006 when Neil Tiles became president of the company and tried to compete with its focus on "male oriented content".

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6701 posts) -

I miss Cinematech most of all. It was zone-out TV the likes of which haven't been seen since classic MTV.

#16 Posted by l4wd0g (2016 posts) -

Wai.t there was something on G4 besides Cops?

#17 Edited by Hashbrowns (663 posts) -

I still hold a grudge against G4 for turning a great technology channel ZDTV/TechTV into a games only channel that instantly turned away a huge part of TechTV's audience by being exclusively about "gaming culture" whatever that is. A big sign of their decline was when DirectTV cut G4 and publically stated something along the lines of "no one watches your crap anymore anyway so why should we bother?"

I remember feeling angry about DirectTV dumping G4 for a few seconds, but then I realized I hadn't even watched that channel for years.

#18 Posted by Bane122 (811 posts) -

Original G4 had a really cheap look but it was a bit charming. I loved G4tv.com, Judgement Day, Icons, and Filter. But then they had terrible stuff like the MMO-based soap opera, Cheat, and the show that was just various game trailers and cutscenes.

When they merged with TechTV I really didn't like X-Play at first but eventually came around and loved it up until they dropped the comedy. It was still okay but I missed a lot of the characters they would have on now and then.

AOTS was great when I watched it but my cable provider dropped G4 from the package I had, after that I only kept up with the show now and then through clips online and it looked like it went sharply downhill after Candace Bailey came on. Seeing shit like her motorboating Sara Underwood made me roll my eyes. It was just pandering to the boys who watched the show.

The best thing G4 ever had was their podcast, Feedback, back when Sessler hosted it with Patrick, Sterling McGarvey, Matt Keil and Abbie Heppe as frequent guests. Once most of them were gone and they reduced the time to around 30 minutes I stopped watching.

#19 Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

@Bane122: I forgot to mention Feedback! It will probably go down as the last great show they had. When Blair Herter took over it wasn't that bad but it didn't matter as the show's already be canned.

Stuff like what you mentioned about Sara Underwood is exactly why I really became turned off by AOTS. Although I can't say for sure, I think Kevin Pereira felt similarly and he's now no longer with the channel.

#20 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Haven't had cable in many years, but I do have fond, fond memories of Morgan Webb.

I wonder if Giant Bomb would ever find a woman that would fit in with the team. Would Morgan? I'm not sure.

#21 Posted by medacris (674 posts) -

@McGhee: It would be awesome to find one someday. Even better, a woman who is knowledgable about certain genres that the rest of the team has admitted they are not as well-versed on.

It would be nice to find another channel someday that genuinely caters to tech help, web cartoons/digital animation, and video games like the golden era of TechTV did, but as some have said, a lot of that stuff is online now. The Nerdist's podcast/YouTube channel (with the previously mentioned Chris Hardwick) is pretty good, although I wish they'd make more episodes of their "let's interview geek icons and discuss their favorite comic books together" series.

#22 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I didn't know Sara Underwood was on G4, I <3 her.

#23 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

I fantasized about Morgan Webb when I was 14 and X-Play was still good. True story.

#24 Edited by Solh0und (1850 posts) -

Personally, G4 to me died in 2005 when they started killing off shows that founded the channel in the first place.

I will always have memories of Portal,Judgement Day,Filter, G4TV.com,even Icons

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (15154 posts) -

Yeah, seems like the ship is going down. Shame. It used to be a decent channel.

#26 Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic: You and everyone else, my friend.

#27 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

The thing I never understood was why the hell their original programming, like X-Play and Attack of the Show, got so little air time in favor of stupid reruns of dumb shit. I may not be an expert on cable television, but I know that's not the way to get viewers to watch your channel at all, let alone consistently.

#28 Posted by Bigheart711 (1240 posts) -

I used to watch G4 most of the time that I watch TV up until 2006, when everything went downhill. Now it's just a shell of the being it once was.

#29 Posted by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -

The best G4 years for me were 2004-2005 with X-Play, Filter, Icons, Judgement Day, Cheat, G4TV.com, that show with just game trailers and cutscenes, and Attack of the Show. I couldn't afford cable so I'd go over to my new girlfriend's apartment to have drinks with her and watch the channel every Friday and Saturday that we weren't out. Like Solhound said, it definitely started to die in '05 when they were cutting shows aimed at gamers.

For a handful of recent years G4 has been a rotting corpse, but I think it's time to bury the body now that Adam Sessler is gone and X-Play isn't that that attractive to me anymore I just wish there was a way to get classic X-Play episodes and Icons on DVD.

#30 Posted by PokeIkzai (384 posts) -

X-Play was a huge staple of my childhood. Also I have nice memories of watching The Screen Savers with my Dad.

#31 Posted by Funrush (70 posts) -

I didn't care too much about Olivia Munn, she wasn't that funny, the departure of Alison, Adam, and Kevin was sad, as I thought they were all hilarious.

Why didn't they realize that we don't want to see shows like Cheaters and Cops on a tech channel, and that they should have had more tech oriented shows.

#32 Posted by ahgunsillyo (458 posts) -

The merging of G4 and TechTV really killed both of those channels.

I watched G4 when it was still in its infancy, when it consisted of rather low-budget shows that were solely about video games. Back when there were was a show called Blister that focused specifically on action games and Portal was a weird half-fictional show about the pre-WoW MMO genre. Back when there was a show about cheats in games, back when there still were cheats in games.

The old G4 even managed to be a bit educational with Icons, where they featured creators like Shigeru Miyamoto, Nobuo Uematsu, the founders of Atari, and even Oddworld's Lorne Lanning.

I understand the need to merge with TechTV, because a channel dedicated to video games never was going to pull in a large enough audience to survive, but once that merge happened and it started to be more than just about video games, the G4 that I really enjoyed started to disappear. Once they started showing more reruns of Cheaters and COPS than anything else, I knew that it really wasn't for me anymore, nor was it really for fans of video games.

So I hate to break it to you, but G4 didn't just die recently. It's been dead for a long time now.

#33 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1331 posts) -

I really enjoyed Tech TV, then when they merged with G4 things were still pretty good for a few years. They still showed Icons and cool shit like that. Then everything went to shit. And I vaguely remember Tommy Tallarico hosting a show or something? Maybe I am making that up.

#34 Edited by PenguinDust (12629 posts) -

I remember TechTV when it was ZDTV and 90% of its broadcast day covered the goings-on of the NASDAQ. In the evenings they would air The Screen Savers and such with Leo and Kate. Sumi Das was a tech-gizmo reporter. I think I saw her on CNN doing "real" news a year or so ago.

Anyway, G4TV the first couple of years was great. Cinematech, Filter, Judgment Day, Icons, etc...but then they merged with TechTV and both went down hill. G4 dumped most of what made TechTV great and later discarded what made it fun originally, too.

The problem is the demographic of the network. Here I am sitting on my PC typing away rather than watching TV. I watch TV shows when I want to, not when the networks schedule them to air (excluding sports). People aren't going to watch a network about video games when they could be playing video games. Well, not for too long at least. It was a good idea, but the timing was just terrible.

I haven't had G4TV since DirectTV dumped it and I haven't missed it.

#35 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

It all went down hill when the fired Alex Albrecht from TSS. I remember that being the moment where I knew it was one of THOSE mergers. You know the one. Where the big company buys out the little company. They promise it'll stay the same, but within a year or two, they completely change everything and it all goes to shit.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@SirPsychoSexy said:

I really enjoyed Tech TV, then when they merged with G4 things were still pretty good for a few years. They still showed Icons and cool shit like that. Then everything went to shit. And I vaguely remember Tommy Tallarico hosting a show or something? Maybe I am making that up.

Yes, and those girls who did the Xbox videos too.

#37 Edited by Pudge (922 posts) -

Good riddance, everything on that channel was terrible, and they murdered Tech TV in cold blood only to parade The Screen Savers and Extended Play out like zombies for years afterward.

Yes, I'm still bitter.

#38 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Am I a bad person for first thinking you were talking about G4 Ponies (the Friendship is Magic generation of My Little Pony) D:

As for G4, eh, it never said much to me.

#39 Posted by Pudge (922 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Am I a bad person for first thinking you were talking about G4 Ponies (the Friendship is Magic generation of My Little Pony) D:

#40 Posted by gla55jAw (2696 posts) -

I got really into AOTS last year for a month or so after not watching for a while. Kevin Pereira is the man, and while Candace Bailey is cute and quirky, she really doesn't belong on that show. You could tell she had no idea what she was talking about most of the time. I think I actually stopped watching after she was doing interviews for E3 coverage. Kevin and Olivia had great chemistry, but once he and Adam Sessler left, the whole network kind of sucked.

Kevin Pereira also did 2 or 3 guest appearances on the Joe Rogan Experience and even has a pilot show on their Deathsquad network called "Pointless", and are highly reccomended (on the Rogan shows he talks a lot more about tech and video games).

#41 Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo: I know its been dead for a long time. I said that in my post.

@SirPsychoSexy: He had a show called Judgment Day with Victor Lucas.

@Dagbiker: G4TV.com was the name of the show and it had Tina Wood and Laura Foy.

#42 Posted by ahgunsillyo (458 posts) -

@Colorwind said:

@ahgunsillyo: I know its been dead for a long time. I said that in my post.

After rereading your original post, yup, you totally did. Sorry about that. I think it was that image stating that G4 was alive from 2002-2013 that made me think you were saying otherwise.

Also, Jessica Chobot's on G4 now? Figures.

#43 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Colorwind: No, attack of the show has been awful since E3 2006 to be exact. When Kevin Rose and Sarah Lane left, the show nosedived.

#44 Posted by PDXSonic (105 posts) -

The only good thing about G4 was showing the Japanese Ninja Warrior (Sasuke). I had only had TechTV for a few months before it merged but I really like it. :(

#45 Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo: Yup. Jessica Chobot is at G4. However, she hasn't left IGN. She has two jobs. That's why I'm saying, "Hey. Quit G4 before it completely changes and stick with IGN. And while you're at it, see if they can use Blair Herter and Morgan Webb."

@BestUsernameEver: You can't be exact about that. That's just an opinion. Attack of the Show was good until Olivia Munn left and even then, it didn't just fail immediately. It took time to realize that Candace Bailey just wasn't a suitable replacement.

Personally, I think that Attack of the Show is a great show for what it is. It sucks that the Screen Savers was canned but it really isn't a replacement. AOTS is a good show for those trying to ease themselves into nerd culture. The Screen Savers is for those already in the know. Ideally, both shows would've been on the air. AOTS for the more mainstream aspects of nerd culture and TSS for the more hardcore.

#46 Posted by iceman228433 (617 posts) -

Aww I miss judgment day so much I loved that show :(

#47 Posted by Nightriff (5354 posts) -

Nice write up, I liked the shows when I watched them but it was hard to catch them all the time between reruns of random ass shows. I love Ninja Warrior but once they started doing their American Ninja Warrior bullshit they just kept playing that and not the Japanese version, that was very frustrating. When Olivia left was kinda the end for me. I thought she was hot and knew her stuff around nerd culture but her desire for more attention and bigger roles lead to her decision which I understand but it was sad to see. I moved on and replaced Olivia with Jeff......

#48 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Colorwind: Of course it's an opinion. I just can't understand why gamers who take the medium seriously think that show has been alright past 2006.

#49 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Hated Olivia Munn, Alison Haislip should've taken her spot as co-host which they sort of did but they messed that up by making the co host spot so inconsistent. I held out a little until Sessler left but really, once the reruns of Cops and Cheaters hit, it was curtains for the whole network.

R.I.P. G4TechTV

#50 Posted by MocBucket62 (1259 posts) -

Sad to see what happened to G4. I really dug the older shows like Judgement Day, Cinematech, Electric Playground, G4TV.com and classic X-Play. They really made some dumb decisions with what they did with the shows especially with X-Play making it more serious and making certain shows only for different countries. Apparently Electric Playground and this show called Reviews on the Run, which is basically Judgement Day but it reviewed movies and games and had much less Tommy Tallarico were aired in Canada only! 

I'm not entirely surprised with G4 ending with the issues with rating and loosing their key personalities like the Sess and Kevin Pereria. However, I'll definitely miss the channel for the found memories I had watching those shows and for being the TV channel for solid game coverage of the past game generation.