The fleeting expletive, the U.S., and where you're heading

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Suicrat

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already, personally....

Anyways, it is directives, policies, and laws like this that make me laugh at every single American conservative who has their head up their own ass thinking Obama is the one starting this purge of liberty in your country.

WAKE THE FUCK UP! It's been happening for years, this fine was instituted in 2003 and first enforced in 2006. Never mind that, the FCC came into being in 1934!

Americans haven't freedom for decades, and now the prospect of live spontaneity on television is dead. Because if the risk and cost of fines is more expensive than the margin on ad sales for live broadcasts, networks will no longer find it worthwhile to broadcast spontaneity live. FCC standards and regulations have already twisted the product on television for decades, this ruling would just be one more arbitrary limit on freedom.

The concept that, among 300 000 000 people, there are common tastes and values is completely absurd, nation-wide, there are hundreds, if not thousands of sub-cultures. So imposing nation-wide regulations on speech and communications is absurd.

Thankfully, the power-wielders thusfar have only given such wide-ranging power to regulate networks, and not cable or internet video. Yet. But statisticians would tell you it's 'trending' in that direction.

Of course, anyone whose spent 5 minutes on the internet knows that regulating internet video would be practically impossible.

What do the people of the Off-topic forum think of the FCC, and government-regulation of communication in general?

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

I said, what you think. Not what Seth MacFarlane thinks.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

You wanna know what I think?

This is America.  People have the freedom to censor...and they have the freedom to not censor.  =  P

I don't give a shit what the FCC does and doesn't do.  Just because something is censored does not mean it isn't kick ass.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Snipzor
Suicrat said:
"I said, what you think. Not what Seth MacFarlane thinks."
Blame the culture, nowadays it is simply easier to express one's feelings through the use of pop culture references.

I'll just say this quickly. The FCC will become as relevant as the PMRC soon enough, so we don't exactly have to worry about it much longer. It's not as if they did anything to stop the propaganda from being shown around North America (*Cough* 24 *Cough*), so their power is limited. Hell, because internet is impossible to regulate completely, it will be the proverbial brick wall to the censors 18-wheeler. It's like when you cancel one episode, and the rest of them simply fall of destroying the show as seen in south park.

/I saw what I did there.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

You don't see many U.S. citizens complaining. If the FCC were a bit more.... lenient, I doubt many programs would be that different, considering how conservative much of the population is. Only problem I have is that they can't bring the Jon Dore show over here. Oh well.

Suicrat, could you be clear on precisely what problem is caused by toning down the content of news? As long as it's not filtered, and as long as the news gets out, what's the issue? Mind you, I'm discussing the FCC's role, not whether or not the news media provides acceptable content.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Snipzor
BoG said:
"You don't see many U.S. citizens complaining. If the FCC were a bit more.... lenient, I doubt many programs would be that different, considering how conservative much of the population is. Only problem I have is that they can't bring the Jon Dore show over here. Oh well.
Suicrat, could you be clear on precisely what problem is caused by toning down the content of news? As long as it's not filtered, and as long as the news gets out, what's the issue? Mind you, I'm discussing the FCC's role, not whether or not the news media provides acceptable content.
"
Jon Dore is ours, you have no right to him!
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By vidiot
Snipzor said:
"Suicrat said:
"I said, what you think. Not what Seth MacFarlane thinks."
Blame the culture, nowadays it is simply easier to express one's feelings through the use of pop culture references.
My apologies for having a little bit of spontaneous fun which is now apparently a reflection of thediminishing of our culture. :P