• 169 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15160 posts) -

The future is now people. Amazon is advertising on their actual website that "Amazon Air Prime" is targeted for a 2015 launching date after working out details with the FAA. I'm considerbly pumped about this. Although its still bizarre to think this is an actual real thing that will happen within like...a year or two.

#2 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

What in the actual fuck!? That looks...amazing.

#3 Posted by YoThatLimp (1938 posts) -

So what happens if someone hits the thing with rocks and steals the package? This seems like a terrible idea.

#4 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

The number of logistical concerns this raises is mindboggling. But yeah, pretty freaking cool nonetheless.

#5 Posted by Nasar7 (2805 posts) -

Is this for real? Amazon is greatest company of all time.

#6 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

this is fucking mint

#7 Posted by SMTDante89 (2584 posts) -

So what happens if someone hits the thing with rocks and steals the package? This seems like a terrible idea.

"Jenny, get my rifle. One of them there internet delivery robots are flying over our house again."

#8 Edited by briangodsoe (484 posts) -

If I were a mail carrier or a UPS guy, I'd be really fucking nervous right now.

#9 Edited by jkz (4061 posts) -

I dunno how it'll work given how complicated an endeavour developing coordinates and navigation systems to avoid electric lines / other obstruction, find spots to actually land in a lot of residential complexes, and so on and so forth could be.

But damn Jeff Bezos you crazy. Seems awesome

#10 Edited by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

Just saw this on 60 minutes, though Jeff B. said it would be awhile. I guess people stealing stuff wont be a problem for Amazon. It can only hold 5 pounds, and it has a 10 mile radius around distribution centers. Most of the things it is transporting are probably going to be cheap like paperbacks, shampoo and razors, and the actual drone has GPS on it, so you probably wouldn't want to try to steal one.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Just saw this on 60 minutes, though Jeff B. said it would be awhile. I guess stealing stuff wont be a problem for Amazon. It can only hold 5 pounds, and it has a 10 mile radius around distribution centers. Most of the things it is transporting are probably going to be cheap like paperbacks, shampoo and razors, and the actual drone has GPS on it, so you probably wouldn't want to try to steal one.

Still, the prospect of getting a candy bar air drop is pretty awesome.

#12 Edited by Flappy (2354 posts) -

It's all fun and games until someone steals my shit.

#13 Posted by TurboMan (7735 posts) -

this seems like a horrible disaster in the making. How will the thing bring me a (let's say) PS4? I'm guessing there's some sort of weight constraint.

Not sure if this is a real thing or an April 1st prank.

#14 Posted by Voxus (349 posts) -

PRE ORDER NOW

#15 Posted by YoThatLimp (1938 posts) -

Just saw this on 60 minutes, though Jeff B. said it would be awhile. I guess people stealing stuff wont be a problem for Amazon. It can only hold 5 pounds, and it has a 10 mile radius around distribution centers. Most of the things it is transporting are probably going to be cheap like paperbacks, shampoo and razors, and the actual drone has GPS on it, so you probably wouldn't want to try to steal one.

I'll never have to buy shampoo again.

#16 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

All houses need to be torn down and rebuilt with flat roofs. Every house needs a secure drone landing site, or even a roof-access so the drone can drop your package into your house. THE FUTURE ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR OLD ARCHITECTURE!

#17 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4892 posts) -

the lengths some people will go to to cut human interaction out of their lives is staggering.

#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

I could get all the latest video games in 30 minutes or less!

#19 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -
First thing that came to mind.

#20 Posted by Krullban (1066 posts) -

the lengths some people will go to to cut human interaction out of their lives is staggering.

Because a post man angrily coming up to our door, saying "Sign here" then leaving is something that is so necessary.

#21 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

i foresee a lot of lost packages in the future.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

The logistics seem insane but it'll be awesome if they figure it out!

#23 Posted by DonutFever (3538 posts) -

Amazon: Black Ops II is droning its way into stores 2015.

#24 Posted by Bulby33 (617 posts) -

So many things could go wrong in this situation that I cannot fathom it being real.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4892 posts) -

@krullban said:

@oldirtybearon said:

Because a post man angrily coming up to our door, saying "Sign here" then leaving is something that is so necessary.

Your caricature of a typical postal worker is funny. I bet he stomps all over your flowerbed as he leaves.

#26 Edited by Spoonman671 (4774 posts) -

The number of limitations this will have on it will make it pretty much useless to the average person.

#27 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

So what happens when I need something larger than a power drill delivered? Will I be resigned to the dark days of having someone come up to my door with the package, or is Amazon going to reveal that they have one of these waiting to make a drop? This is pretty neat though, I would try it once.

#28 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1495 posts) -

I would say there are quite a few variables that lead to this going bad. Mid-air engine failure seems likely, due to nature or just mechanical reasons. The other thing would be the cost of all those yellow boxes unless they pull a netflix and have you return them. Though I suppose all the cardboard they use now isn't any better.

#29 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

This is really cool. It doesn't make sense to me at all though about how they expect to achieve this. But awesome regardless!

#30 Posted by BigJeffrey (5185 posts) -

Amazon is sick, Sunday deliveries are the best.

#31 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

Skynet.

#32 Posted by Bumpton (457 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

Really? Spend a lot of time talking to your mailman/UPS dude? I don't even disagree with you, but this not even sort of contributing to that issue.

#33 Posted by jillsandwich (760 posts) -

AMAZON PLEASE FLY ALL MY SHIT TO ME WITH A LITTLE ROBOT

It's probably some sort of remote-controlled drone. Unless Skynet is happening with this shit.

#34 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

The batteries on those things last 10 minutes, without any load.

This thread is dumbtarded.

#35 Posted by PimblyCharles (1642 posts) -

Now that's some real funny shit

#36 Posted by MB (13134 posts) -

They need to partner up with Pink Dot so I can get liquor and junk food airlifted in at 1am. I don't care how much it costs.

#37 Edited by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

#38 Posted by HatKing (6114 posts) -

I fail to see how this is any different than a person delivering a package.

#39 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

Does it ring the doorbell or do you get an email when it's delivered?

#40 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

@kidavenger: I'm sure it lasts more than 10 minutes. Assuming it'll just die on the trip or not be able to make it is "dumbtarded"

#41 Edited by Demoskinos (15160 posts) -

@kidavenger: Yeah, I'm sure a company as huge as Amazon isnt going to go public with something like this until they are absolutely sure that most of the infrastructure is in place.

#42 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

the division has been deployed

#43 Edited by golguin (4050 posts) -

Can I order a drone and keep it? It would deliver a remote control in it's box and then say "Awaiting Order."

#44 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

So when this flies over someone's house, they find a way to EMP it out of the air, strap explosives to it, and use it to bomb shit, I'm assuming it's still going to be an awesome idea?

I'd rather just have someone hand-delivering shit to people. Fuck machines.

#45 Posted by Brendan (8155 posts) -

I have the dumbest smile on my face right now.

#46 Posted by Demoskinos (15160 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

So when this flies over someone's house, they find a way to EMP it out of the air, strap explosives to it, and use it to bomb shit, I'm assuming it's still going to be an awesome idea?

I'd rather just have someone hand-delivering shit to people. Fuck machines.

That is extremely presumptive.

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I give it a week until people hack the drones and redirect packages to their place, till drones get lost due to weather, and people just sit on roofs shooting these things down and having their friends go pick up the packages. Not to mention that I still can't get better then 3 day shipping here. Which means I would never see this in my area even if it somehow worked.

Also, how would the drone know where to land? Front door, back door, what if you have a car port you gotta go through?

#48 Posted by Shishkabob (18 posts) -

I don't really care how it's delivered/ what it's delivered by. The biggest takeaway for me was the 30 minute time.

#49 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@golguin said:

Can I order a drone and keep it? It would deliver a remote control in it's box and then say "Awaiting Order."

Or just have a drone send you your drone

#50 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@briangodsoe: Luckily there's a weight limit to how much those can carry.

Unless they make drones out of Seaking helicopters