The GED, Have you taken it?

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

I've been in the process of studying for this Test. but the books i have purchased aren't that helpful, they only list one paragraph for the exercise. most of the time i find my self outsourcing to wikipedia or going online. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the book, Thing is i had bought another book awhile back. But it jumped right into fractions without mentioning Order of operations. Had to give that book away too, because it left some steps required out of context or Wiped it from the book. Any idea what a good book is on this subject? I'm really tired of out sourcing. There shouldn't be a need for that.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deusdigit

Why view this thread if you aren't going to post in it?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hatking

@deusdigit said:

"Why view this thread if you aren't going to post in it? "

Well I can post in it, but I'm afraid the only help I can offer would be to wish you luck.  I was just curious... sorry.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum

Unfortunately no, I'm still in High School and I plan on graduating. Not trying to sound like a dick, either. Good luck.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By angelfan91

I was in school up untill the second semester of my junior year started.  I've had migraines most of my life.  So, when the semester started I was hospitalized for about a month total.  I got so far behind I couldn't catch up.  I was unenrolled and I tried homeschooling but it didn't work for me.  Eventually, I just decided to take the GED so I could be done with it.  I used a book made by the SPARK NOTES people.  It helped a lot.  I passed on my first try.  Now I'm trying to find money for community college.  Good luck to you.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Gunner

I haven't, I dropped out when i was 17 in order to support my family after my dad bailed and i haven't been able to since. 

but most community colleges offer classes for people that are going to take the GED, they give you a placement test which is basically the GED test only much shorter, then depending on how you do, you take classes in whatever subject you are struggling in. I recommend checking that out.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@angelfan91 said:
" I was in school up untill the second semester of my junior year started.  I've had migraines most of my life.  So, when the semester started I was hospitalized for about a month total.  I got so far behind I couldn't catch up.  I was unenrolled and I tried homeschooling but it didn't work for me.  Eventually, I just decided to take the GED so I could be done with it.  I used a book made by the SPARK NOTES people.  It helped a lot.  I passed on my first try.  Now I'm trying to find money for community college.  Good luck to you. "

I get more than enough grant money to cover all my expenses. If you can't afford to go to community college, you should be able to get some help.
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By lucas_kelly
@deusdigit said:
" Why view this thread if you aren't going to post in it? "
Because I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dark_Jon

Sorry, I can't help you, I graduated. I'm glad school is over with.

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WizardShazam

Can't help much except to say maybe look for a Barron's book or something. I know my girlfriend used one for the GRE so they probably have a GED one, too. Best of luck.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By vasta_narada

I don't really know what to do besides offer my assistance. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing, so PM me and I'll see if I can't help a little.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GreggD

It's somewhat difficult, depending on the section. More than anything, just use logic and any prior knowledge you have and just do your best. There's not much else I can tell you, but had I scored a little higher on that test I would've been eligible for a scholarship. So if you think you're smart enough to do so, go for the gold.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm only in my sophomore year in high school, so, no I haven't taken the GED.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Diploma'd

Avatar image for deactivated-5aad21fd3cb7d
deactivated-5aad21fd3cb7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It has been about 15 years since I took mine. I didn't study, but I had not been out of school that long either. For the most part they give you the easiest questions, and then give you paragraphs to read before answering others. So it was more about comprehension. I took a few years of college after and I never had a test as easy as the GED. I am not trying to downplay it, just saying in my opinion, I thought it was easy. So I think you really just need to try it and not worry so much about it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My name is Gamer_152, I live in the UK and today I learned what a GED is.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Bruce

Lots of condescending "Sorry, I graduated from High School" going on here.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GreggD
@Bruce: Yeah, seriously.
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fishmicmuffin

You don't necessarily have to get a book either; you can find an online help course as well.   I have a friend that got his GED and he used an online thing. I don't know what online resource he used, but he passed the test and said that the course he did online helped a lot. I'm sorry that's all I could provide, but it might broaden your search a little bit. You could also go to a Barnes and Noble and look at all of the prep books they have there and read bits of them before you buy them. That way you know what you're getting yourself into before you buy the book. Good luck on the test!