The Incredible Tale of the PCI DSS SAQ

• 84 results
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think there are online vendors who are compromised and they never report the theft of their data out of fear of losing business. I've had two credit cards used for fraudulent purchases at different times, one of which was caught immediately and the other which the CC company made me eat of all outcomes. Either that or there are insider thefts at online retailers and meatspace retailers as well. Pretty easy to photograph both sides of a credit card quickly if you have access to one at your place of employment.

I still remember the time that a woman at my credit card company called me up to confirm that I actually wanted to purchase $600 worth of sneakers. I didn't! Some companies will apparently look at what you've spent in the past to try and verify that future orders are legitimate, which is both kind of scary and kind of nice of them.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By rorie

Haha, this read was more interesting than I expected it to be. Sure you're not sharing too much, Rorie? The compromised/hacked staff account issue from a few months ago comes to mind; why does CBSi's cyber crime unit/legal team/whatever handle that guy, but not these fraudulent orders?

The earlier hacking was a completely separate issue, fortunately. In this case, none of our security measures have been compromised; we're dealing with the results of other company's poor storage of credit card data, for the most part. I'd love to be able to report this stuff to credit card companies or some kind of federal agency, but if it's just a couple thousand dollars I doubt they'd want to spend much time on it, especially when the orders are being placed from overseas.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is the Bay Area version of Papers, Please.

Can the player process enough orders to buy enough liquor for yourself and your friends...

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@rorie said:

@bkbroiler said:

So these fraudulent orders are from people who really, actually want Giant Bomb merch? Or are they somehow making money off the stuff they buy? Both realities seem absolutely nuts.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that these are likely just test purchases where people are trying out card numbers to see which ones work before using them for huge purchases elsewhere, or reselling them. Sounds plausible.

So you're actually stopping crime BEFORE it can start? You're a superhero!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Good read.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Speaking of the store, are you able to say why the Ryan Davis memorial shirt was taken down?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, you mean you do things other than looking up pictures of puppies ot taking pictures of them yourself?

Why would you do that?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@rorie nice to have an update!

... though I wish you'd stream more Dark Souls :D

Thompson820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Thompson820
EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Who needs Papers, Please? when you can just play Is This Order Legitimate?

When Rorie got to the end and mentioned that game, I had exactly these sentiments. I really want to see something like this come out now...

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never really thought you were slacking but it's nice to hear about your workday. Still, I agree with some of the other comments, it's a shame we don't get to see more of your writings around here.

jacobgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm. Who knew reading about someone else's battle against online fraud would be interesting...but there it is. Keep up the good fight, Rorie.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

Give us the fake delivery addresses and we can mess these guys up!

Like Jay and Silent Bob style? "Did you place an order for 16 giant bomb hoodies with this credit card? Order declined biatch!"

@rorie The more I think about this, the more I am convinced this is an act of guerilla warfare by GameBomb.ru

They are testing the defences. Soon the assault will begin.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@the_laughing_man said:

Give us the fake delivery addresses and we can mess these guys up!

Like Jay and Silent Bob style? "Did you place an order for 16 giant bomb hoodies with this credit card? Order declined biatch!"

@rorie The more I think about this, the more I am convinced this is an act of guerilla warfare by GameBomb.ru

They are testing the defences. Soon the assault will begin.

Yes.....And I am sure @rorie can even send us a giant book like in the movie.

mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By mrchup0n

@rorie If only we could get, "Quick Look: 'Is This Order Fraudulent Or Not' Game"! But then someone would watch it and figure out how to break your system.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By MrMazz

yay Giantbomb is a test site for Credit Card Fraud I think that's a sign you've made it

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie No Nigerians? I used to get crazy orders from so-called englishmen currently living in america wanting to buy my "item" to sell in a new japanese merchandise store opening up in Nigeria. Hilarious to read them day after, even moreso when I didn't sell items but provided a service to restore bricked consoles.

pingolobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boss of Bosses was a gamespot thing but you could still post a video where you tear through a hard game just to show them kids how it's done. That was amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb should get some new shirts and bring back the wizard shirt.

It would also be great if the shirts were better quality. :p My first bomb shirts from few years back were much better quality than the most recent one I got.

Just saying.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, this totally explains why that dude gave me a key wrapped in a China Don't Care shirt.

I mean *cough* what

tiny_tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71  Edited By tiny_tank

@rorie Wow that is very interesting as everyone else on here has said, and also you do write very well. Also please thank @patrickklepek for putting this in the Worth Reading which is where I saw it, as I don't generally have/take the time to look at stuff in the forums very often at all.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, this totally explains why that dude gave me a key wrapped in a China Don't Care shirt.

I mean *cough* what

Dude. Not cool. I told you not to talk about that. Our mutual friends will be paying you a visit tonight.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I suppose the upside of Rorie looking at all orders and using a fine tooth comb is the fact that after awhile the thieves learn to not test stolen cards on GB...it is a waste of time and leads to their operation being on radar one step earlier than with another retailer who scrutinizes less.

evil_gordita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

I was reading something on this, and apparently some of the places in south Florida are used by people overseas who want to order stuff from the States but don't want to pay large shipping fees. So apparently some of these places consist of actual buyers who'll get a bunch of merchandise, ship all of it at once, and then reship it to the individual buyers back in the other country to cut down on costs. No idea if it's true or not!

It probably is true. I know that there are people in Japan who offer a deputy service where you can commission them to buy goods from local shops and websites who don't deal with overseas orders. I haven't used a deputy service myself, but it's something I've considered doing.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By Nictel
@rorie said:

Presumably this means that these orders are being placed from credit cards that were actually physically stolen, or perhaps issued by legitimate vendors based on fraudulent applications.

Don't rule out employees at restaurants/shops that make a quick snapshot of your cc

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Oh man, as soon as you mentioned PCI DSS compliance, and flowcharts, I just started laughing my ass off. I've been working on some authentication process stuff for my company, and it's been a royal shitshow. The first cut of everything I built (to spec, which was handed down to me, and I assumed had been verified for compliance) had to be completely thrown out. Once I went back to the drawing board, I took it upon myself to make sure what we're building is really compliant, and it's painful, to say the least...

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Definitely need more posts like this from Matt & the rest to see some of the behind the scenes of Giant Bomb until Matt has some free time to get in on the bombcasts. After dealing with all the stuff you put in this post about the crazy store events Matt, you definitely deserve all the puppy attention. (can't recall where the photo is from but too cute to not pass along)

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for zachmorrissey--DEF
ZachMorrissey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We really appreciate your work Rorie!

zakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah no Pugs in the OP

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RORIE GIMME THAT MASKKKK BOYYYY

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PLEASE

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

my dog needs it

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@nach0sanchez: Please stop with the spam. This topic is over 5 years old. One reply was probably too much, over and over is disruptive.