The Informant! Review

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

Edited By RHCPfan24
May contain slight spoilers, though this is a true story so "spoilers" may not even be an applicable term. Just read the damn review, already. :)

A delightfully smart and witty comedy, The Informant! is one of the better comedies of the year thanks to its very intelligent plot progression and excellent lead performance by Matt Damon. Even if it is based on a true story, the film still carries an air of creativity that really sets it apart from recent comedic endeavors.
 Mark with FBI Agents Shepard and Herndon

The Informant! is centered around the story of the real-life Mark Whitacre, a successful scientist/business man at Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), a giant agricultural industry based in Illinois, turned whistleblower when the business side rears its corrupt head. When, supposedly, his conscience cannot handle dealing with the illegal price-fixing schemes that are going on at his company, he starts wearing a wire and contacting the FBI, represented by Agent Shepard (Scott Bakula) and Agent Herndon (Joel McHale). These two actors, known for past or recent appearances on television, are great in their roles, especially Brian Shepard who has to deal with Mark's lies and troubles firsthand. These lies show themselves as Mark begins to compromise himself by concealing certain information or distorting certain other facts. The self-destruction of Mark Whitacre is the real star of the show here, as he continues to descend on a downward spiral while not really noticing it himself.

Mark, played by Matt Damon, is a highly intelligent man with some severe problems. The best part of this movie is its constant, arbitrary narration from Mark himself, giving thoughts on anything from human interaction to polar bear camouflage. At first these non-sequiturs seem like random comedic tidbits but they eventually show another side of Whitacre's mind that is really his problem all along. I won't say much more (the facts are all out after all) but it really is a nontraditional yet satisfying approach at storytelling.

Of course, a real question is whether or not this movie is funny in the first place. It really is, but it will not appeal to everyone. There is a lot of dialogue and some jokes can go over people's heads if they don't pay attention. Any fan of films such as The Big Lebowski or television shows such as Arrested Development should feel right at home, however.
 Mark with his wife, Ginger

There is a interesting, surely intentional approach at lighting and filming that was made with this film. Everything is bathed in a orange, incandescent lightbulb glow that fills every scene, even ones outside. Sometimes rooms have lamps on behind the actors, making them very shadowed and blurry. This can be interpreted to be a few different things, maybe even a joke by the cinematographers. A reasonable explanation for the look could be an analogy itself to Mark. The script is smart and witty, much like the leading character, but there is another layer of him that is deeply troubled. His mind is bent to believing that he really is not wrong and his hardships are the results of others. By lying to himself constantly, his perception is altered in this way. So while his dialogue may be flattering and convincing, the real soul of his character is as distorted as the scenery around him. As the movie progressed and he starting to reveal some of his flaws and lies, I noticed that the lighting slowly began to look normal. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me but, if not, it was a clever albeit subtle way at seeing this mad man progress in thought and mind.

In the end, The Informant! is a very human comedy, showing all the wonders and flaws any regular person has. In this case, Mark had a fair share more foibles than the regular human but he used many to his own advantage. Would he be brought down? Yes, and he actually received larger punishment than the rest of his corrupt superiors. But the ride was fun along the way, much like this movie. It is not a classic by any means but The Informant! is a comedy that makes you reflect on your own qualities upon finishing it, trying to persuade yourself that you really are not a Mark Whitacre yourself. In this age of economic recession, it is nice to see the corporate bigwigs get a real, human side instead of current media stereotypes. And with all the problems that these characters have, you'll be laughing when you might be witnessing how the country fell in the first place.  

4/5
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RHCPfan24
May contain slight spoilers, though this is a true story so "spoilers" may not even be an applicable term. Just read the damn review, already. :)

A delightfully smart and witty comedy, The Informant! is one of the better comedies of the year thanks to its very intelligent plot progression and excellent lead performance by Matt Damon. Even if it is based on a true story, the film still carries an air of creativity that really sets it apart from recent comedic endeavors.

The Informant! is centered around the story of the real-life Mark Whitacre, a successful scientist/business man at Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), a giant agricultural industry based in Illinois, turned whistleblower when the business side rears its corrupt head. When, supposedly, his conscience cannot handle dealing with the illegal price-fixing schemes that are going on at his company, he starts wearing a wire and contacting the FBI, represented by Agent Shepard (Scott Bakula) and Agent Herndon (Joel McHale). These two actors, known for past or recent appearances on television, are great in their roles, especially Brian Shepard who has to deal with Mark's lies and troubles firsthand. These lies show themselves as Mark begins to compromise himself by concealing certain information or distorting certain other facts. The self-destruction of Mark Whitacre is the real star of the show here, as he continues to descend on a downward spiral while not really noticing it himself.

Mark, played by Matt Damon, is a highly intelligent man with some severe problems. The best part of this movie is its constant, arbitrary narration from Mark himself, giving thoughts on anything from human interaction to polar bear camouflage. At first these non-sequiturs seem like random comedic tidbits but they eventually show another side of Whitacre's mind that is really his problem all along. I won't say much more (the facts are all out after all) but it really is a nontraditional yet satisfying approach at storytelling.

Of course, a real question is whether or not this movie is funny in the first place. It really is, but it will not appeal to everyone. There is a lot of dialogue and some jokes can go over people's heads if they don't pay attention. Any fan of films such as The Big Lebowski or television shows such as Arrested Development should feel right at home, however.

There is a interesting, surely intentional approach at lighting and filming that was made with this film. Everything is bathed in a orange, incandescent lightbulb glow that fills every scene, even ones outside. Sometimes rooms have lamps on behind the actors, making them very shadowed and blurry. This can be interpreted to be a few different things, maybe even a joke by the cinematographers. A reasonable explanation for the look could be an analogy itself to Mark. The script is smart and witty, much like the leading character, but there is another layer of him that is deeply troubled. His mind is bent to believing that he really is not wrong and his hardships are the results of others. By lying to himself constantly, his perception is altered in this way. So while his dialogue may be flattering and convincing, the real soul of his character is as distorted as the scenery around him. As the movie progressed and he starting to reveal some of his flaws and lies, I noticed that the lighting slowly began to look normal. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me but, if not, it was a clever albeit subtle way at seeing this mad man progress in thought and mind.

In the end, The Informant! is a very human comedy, showing all the wonders and flaws any regular person has. In this case, Mark had a fair share more foibles than the regular human but he used many to his own advantage. Would he be brought down? Yes, and he actually received larger punishment than the rest of his corrupt superiors. But the ride was fun along the way, much like this movie. It is not a classic by any means but The Informant! is a comedy that makes you reflect on your own qualities upon finishing it, trying to persuade yourself that you really are not a Mark Whitacre yourself. In this age of economic recession, it is nice to see the corporate bigwigs get a real, human side instead of current media stereotypes. And with all the problems that these characters have, you'll be laughing when you might be witnessing how the country fell in the first place.  

4/5
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Nice review.  From what I've heard The Informant is a great movie.   

It is kind of funny to think of Matt Damon in this role when he was kind of on the other side in The Good Shepherd, except all serious like.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Br3adfan said:
" Nice review.  From what I've heard The Informant is a great movie.    It is kind of funny to think of Matt Damon in this role when he was kind of on the other side in The Good Shepherd, except all serious like. "
Yeah, thanks. And Matt Damon does a great job here...unlike The Good Shepard, haha (the whole movie was pretty bad actually). But this was an original comedy that I really enjoyed. I am glad most of the other opinions have been similar.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By sjschmidt93

Matt Damon with a mustache... I like it. 

Still though, based on my experience at the movies last time I find it risky to drive 40 minutes to see or not to see a R-rated movie. Me getting in depends on if the person taking tickets is an ass or not.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Matt Damon with a mustache... I like it.  Still though, based on my experience at the movies last time I find it risky to drive 40 minutes to see or not to see a R-rated movie. Me getting in depends on if the person taking tickets is an ass or not. "
Good point. But, though this doesn't matter that much logistically, it really isn't that much of an R-movie in terms of content. There was some language but it was not that offensive or used that much. And there was pretty much no sexual or violent content at all. The R rating seems like too much, though it did go over the typical "1 to 2 'fucks'" for a PG-13 movie.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By gingertastic_10

I LOVED this movie, good review sir.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Tireyo

Very nice. Love the pictures.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
@RHCPfan24: HEY!  I enjoyed The Good Shepherd, but maybe that's because I like Robert de Niro's directing style.  To each their own... 

I want to see The Informant, but I'm not a fan of Steven Soderbergh's style.  I may just wait for DVD on this one.  Good review, though.  Really diggin' the movie blogs you've been doing lately.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By End_Boss

Not to be confused with The Informers... Which is an awful movie.

If you like that movie, you're a bad person and should feel bad about your choices in life.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24
@gingertastic_10 said:
" I LOVED this movie, good review sir. "
@Tireyo643 said:
" Very nice. Love the pictures. "
Thank you very much, sirs.

@jakob187 said:
" @RHCPfan24: HEY!  I enjoyed The Good Shepherd, but maybe that's because I like Robert de Niro's directing style.  To each their own...  I want to see The Informant, but I'm not a fan of Steven Soderbergh's style.  I may just wait for DVD on this one.  Good review, though.  Really diggin' the movie blogs you've been doing lately. "

Yeah The Good Shepard was a mixed bag...some despised it though. I don't hate it that much. And thanks for the compliment. I have actually been doing reviews on a frequent basis for the past few years but just decided to start posting them here. I don't know what took me so long!!

@End_Boss said:
" Not to be confused with The Informers... Which is an awful movie.  If you like that movie, you're a bad person and should feel bad about your choices in life. "

That came out this year right? Yeah, that doesn't look too hot.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

i thought, by the previews, this was a Coens Bros movie. cause all of their comedies are kinda dark and usually involve conspiracies.  does it have that kind of vibe?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24
@TwoOneFive said:
" i thought, by the previews, this was a Coens Bros movie. cause all of their comedies are kinda dark and usually involve conspiracies.  does it have that kind of vibe? "
Sure it does, to an extent. Soderbergh definitely borrows a lot of trademarks and qualities from them, definitely in this one. And being like a Coen Bros. movie is a huge compliment, at least in my opinion.
Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Joseppie

Very quality review. I have not seen the movie but know the story from This American Life...it is very much an intriguing and very human story. And by human, I mean flawed. Also, foibles is a great word. Well done! Will report when seen movie, haha.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Joseppie said:
" Very quality review. I have not seen the movie but know the story from This American Life...it is very much an intriguing and very human story. And by human, I mean flawed. Also, foibles is a great word. Well done! Will report when seen movie, haha. "
Thank you. "Foibles" is one of my favorite words, lol. It just sounds messed up, like the meaning itself.
StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By StarFry64

I thought it was funny, beautifully shot, and so confusing (in a good way). Every actor involved was great, especially Matt Damon (not kidding). Weird why almost every actor in the movie though has background with comedy like Patton Oswalt, Tony Hale, Joe McHale, etc. 3 out of 4 stars