Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well?
Here in the UK speedometer's still say MPH and miles are still widely used. Feet would still be used for height.

Quite interested to know what it is like in the USA... Do you still use inches and gallons?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yit

However much it troubles me, in the US, I do.

I end up converting it for people all the time.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

The metric system is not used as much in the U.S. (miles, gallons, feet, inches, pounds, etc. are all still used the most) but I really like it myself.  I prefer centimeters and meters to inches and yards, and I seem to cook more with milliliters and the like than ounces. 

Some people are obviously different, though.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Endogene

Find it rather stupid that a system that uses non proportional units to measure distance and weight still exist really.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Always have, always will. Everything else just doesn't make sense.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Yes, I do. For work though I use the Imperial form of measurement at work.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Will1Lucky

I prefer to use Imperial, it does have an awesome name afterall.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

In science, yes. But I don't use it outside of the chem lab. The metric system is far more intuitive and efficient than our own system of measurement, it's a shame that we have to be such dickheads and ignore it for shits & giggles.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili

The english system of measurement is a retardation. Everything is measured from the body parts of a dead king. Also does it make you feel good at night when water boils at 212? You people force me to use a converter all the time, and the english system is the reason a multi-million dollar satellite was lost in mars.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chililili said:
"The english system of measurement is a retardation. Everything is measured from the body parts of a dead king. Also does it make you feel good at night when water boils at 212? You people force me to use a converter all the time, and the english system is the reason a multi-million dollar satellite was lost in mars."
English System?
What is that?
destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By destro

Haha yeah metric is used throughout the whole world now besides the United States. "According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the primary or sole system of measurement for all nations except for Mayanmar, Libera, and the United States" Why these countries and especially the Unites States havent converted is beyond me. Probably because they've used it for so long and now if they stop using it they'll look dumb or something. Plus, what kind of country uses fahrenheit to measure? it makes no sense at all, IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

destro said:
"Haha yeah metric is used throughout the whole world now besides the United States. "According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the primary or sole system of measurement for all nations except for Mayanmar, Libera, and the United States" Why these countries and especially the Unites States havent converted is beyond me. Probably because they've used it for so long and now if they stop using it they'll look dumb or something. Plus, what kind of country uses fahrenheit to measure? it makes no sense at all, IMO."
The USA should at least start to introduce it more. And Farenheit is kind of shitty too. What is the reason we dont use Kevlin. Why do we use celcius instead.
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By strangeling

I'd be fine with using the Metric System, but I live here in the US, so I use what we use for the most part.

How involved would it be to switch over?  There's so many things that would have to be updated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

strangeling said:
"I'd be fine with using the Metric System, but I live here in the US, so I use what we use for the most part.
How involved would it be to switch over?  There's so many things that would have to be updated.
"
Yea. I dont know what food packaging is like in America. But maybe have metric measurements alongside imperial for a period of time.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie

No, I support my fellow burger eating invasion monkeys by using a measuring system that does not have proportional units and no continuity.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#16  Edited By strangeling

That would be relatively easy to do, since they can do one redesign to send to the printer.

They'd also have to recalibrate (maybe replace) all their manufacturing equipment.
I was thinking of things with more manual labor involved.  Like pulling down all the current speed limit signs and putting up the new ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

strangeling said:
"That would be relatively easy to do, since they can do one redesign to send to the printer.
They'd also have to recalibrate (maybe replace) all their manufacturing equipment.
I was thinking of things with more manual labor involved.  Like pulling down all the current speed limit signs and putting up the new ones.
"
Maybe just have kilometres per hour alongside mph on new road signs. Slow transition is the best way.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By KamasamaK
p4ddym1607 said:
"strangeling said:
"I'd be fine with using the Metric System, but I live here in the US, so I use what we use for the most part.
"
Yea. I dont know what food packaging is like in America. But maybe have metric measurements alongside imperial for a period of time."
That has been in place for a while already. I think the road sign thing is a good idea too since cars have both in the speedometer. I use SI units when I can, but we're mostly forced to use Imperial units. I hope more schools emphasize SI units so that the new generation will have an easier transition.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

no im american but i wish america used the metric system...ect its much better to have a universal system in my opinion.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yeah I do, I found it troublesome during the period when the EU tried to phase it out in the U.K.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By insanejedi

Metric system makes sense.

Water Boils at 100 and freezes at 0.
1000mg = 1g
1000g=1kg

It's the most useful every day measurement for everything. (unless you are a scientist trying to freeze something to below zero.)

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By vibratingdonkey

What?

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aurelito

Educational books in our country use SI system, consequently all of educated people are more comfortable with the metric system. All countries should take this system as their main units. their constant comparing with other unints and widely used.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

nope...

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By DXSSI

It's the NFL's fault.  Converting to the metric system would be no big deal except it would radically change the game of American football.  If you switched yards for meters, first downs would be on the 9.14 meter line, and that would be inefficient.

Support the metric system; boycott the Super Bowl.  And write an angry letter to the NFL, telling them you won't watch any more football games until they personally usher the acceptance of the metric system into the United States.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I live in the USA, so uhh.... nope.
I think it is a more simple system, but since we're so used to using inches, feet, yards, miles, etc, it's hard for us to adjust.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Megalon

I strive to use it every day here in America. I refuse to use a dumb system like feet or yards or farenheight. REFUSE.

Now if we could just get time to cooperate...
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Weight--- pounds
Length- meters
Temperature--- in context (weather F, everything else C)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew
DXSSI said:
"It's the NFL's fault.  Converting to the metric system would be no big deal except it would radically change the game of American football.  If you switched yards for meters, first downs would be on the 9.14 meter line, and that would be inefficient.

Support the metric system; boycott the Super Bowl.  And write an angry letter to the NFL, telling them you won't watch any more football games until they personally usher the acceptance of the metric system into the United States."
Heh. Canadian football uses Imperial measurements too, despite metric being the standard for everything else up here. Converting a football field into metres would be total madness.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#30  Edited By LordAndrew
DXSSI said:
"It's the NFL's fault.  Converting to the metric system would be no big deal except it would radically change the game of American football.  If you switched yards for meters, first downs would be on the 9.14 meter line, and that would be inefficient.

Support the metric system; boycott the Super Bowl.  And write an angry letter to the NFL, telling them you won't watch any more football games until they personally usher the acceptance of the metric system into the United States."
Heh. Canadian football uses Imperial measurements too, despite metric being the standard for everything else up here. Converting a football field into metres would be total madness.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StaticFalconar

Me personally in America, I go metric when I think about measurement. Btw Celsius is not metric, anybody that cites it as metric as just wrong,  only liters, meters, grams as opposed to gallons,  feet and pounds is metric. But of course the gas station and warning signs around me are all in gallons and feet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StaticFalconar said:
"Me personally in America, I go metric when I think about measurement. Btw Celsius is not metric, anybody that cites it as metric as just wrong,  only liters, meters, grams as opposed to gallons,  feet and pounds is metric. But of course the gas station and warning signs around me are all in gallons and feet."
The metric base unit for temperature is KELVIN. Kelvin is in the same scale as celcius but only has absolute values. So it starts at 0. Which is logical i suppose.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tokyochicken

Canada, all we have is the metric system by now.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By Gunner

because i wasn't raised on it, and i have no desire to learn a completely different system. I dont use the metric system.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Optiow

In NZ we use meteres etc.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By JoelTGM

I'm in Canada, of course I use it.  Everyone should.  In school we still had to learn the imperial system because there are some areas where it is still used because some people can't be bothered to change.  Imperial is terrible and there's no way you can use it in science or anything too complicated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunner said:
"because i wasn't raised on it, and i have no desire to learn a completely different system. I dont use the metric system."
You just stay in the dark ages then
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By Gunner
p4ddym1607 said:
"Gunner said:
"because i wasn't raised on it, and i have no desire to learn a completely different system. I dont use the metric system."
You just stay in the dark ages then"
k.