The Mirror of Noitpmeder (The Not So Weekly Blog)

LonelyVagrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By LonelyVagrant

Because I have nothing better to do, I present to you:

The Wandering Thoughts of the Lonely Vagrant (2nd Edition...Delayed)

IN H3D! (Not really)

Hello to all gamers and merriment aficionados alike. Welcome to my delayed, yet hopefully reading, blog on all things gaming, television, movies or anything else that seems important to talk about. Been in a little rut lately; actually, I've been in a hole the size and depth of the sky above. But seeing as doing this seems to help me cheer up a bit, I'm back writing more about what's going on in the gaming world, my world, and other assorted things that I might throw in, for laughs and giggles. So the big thing that's going on now is TGS, the Tokyo Game Show, and there were some interesting announcements coming out. I don't know if I'll cover them all but I'll hit a few interesting spikes in the radar. So let's kick it off with probably the biggest spike (in my mind):

DmC: The New Face of Dante

Boy...oh...boy: this is the Infamous 2 fiasco all over again, isn't it? In case, for some reason, you haven't been in front of a computer for a while or have friends that aren't keeping up to date on this, Capcom announced a new Devil May Cry game, or DmC, as the new logo showcases it to be. Not unexpected, and also not completing unwanted. Fans of the series have been clamoring after 4 came out. Some people felt that the game had not evolved into the modern console life-cycle. So would this Devil May Cry be completely redefined and refreshed for people's taste? Well...apparently, it was too redefined for people.
"My name is Dante," the dark-toned voice replied. "NO YOU AREN'T," cried the fans.
The second the image of the new Dante appeared, fans flipped their brain-storage. It wasn't Dante, despite the trailer immediately verifying to those that it was Dante (you know, just in case people couldn't put two and two together: guy with two pistols, DmC as the title.) This new "vision" of Dante has been so negative, even the original creator of Devil May Cry can't believe this change. The game is being handled by Ninja Theory, the collective minds that brought us Heavenly Sword as well as their new game, Enslaved (Capcom will have some of their teams helping out with the game as well.) Personally, I don't really have a huge problem with this.  

Look out KFC, you have competition with Devil-Made Chicken. It's Sin-tastic!
Sure, I hate the fact that they change the look of the character of Dante, but I think in a long run, the most important thing we have to really be conscious about is if the gameplay is going to be either the same or a total re-haul from previous games. The game (from the look of it) still seems to keep that kinetic style and over-the-top attitude that people know to associate the games...but all we have is a simple trailer; hell, not even a trailer, a teaser. A peek; a frigging flicker of a foundation that hasn't been fixed (Fixed, in this case, being stable).  I'm probably preaching to the choir and I totally get why people are complaining, but with this tidbit of information that we do have, it's too early to say anything. I want to see where this goes; I honestly want to see if, with all the backlash, that Capcom decides to change the character model a-la Infamous 2. But to really say anything about the game, we really need to see what are the changes, other than the cosmetics, being applied to this series. And as for Hideki Kamiya, I feel that he brought everything and more when he gave us Bayonetta, so for it to become the new Devil May Cry of this generation, it would surprise no one. That's it, done with that. But yeah, I wish to see more on the new DmC.  Supposedly it is scheduled for next year. We'll see.

Yakuza of the Dead: Or How the Living Dead got into my Yakuza game

I can't say that I am heavily into the Yakuza games, only in that I have only played the first one, which was pretty fun and enjoyable. I hope to at least play through the rest of the series one of these days just to keep up to date on it. That being said, even I was slightly surprised that this game is coming out. And it looks bat-shit crazy.  I mean, in a game where the idea was simply to give somewhat a realistic outset on the life of a Yazuka (again, I'm only going off on my knowledge of the first game) and then, all of a sudden there are zombies running wild, No warning, no hint of it as far as I know; there are now zombies as well as monsters of the genetically-altered variation.

So this is the life of a Yakuza. I figured there would be less zombies.
But even with that, I am really digging it. If the game has always been about seriousness and reality and the like, then why not just have fun with it for a while. Go completely mental and just throw in zombies when you need to mood to be a little bit more cheerful. That seemed to be the idea when you read the statement made by the producer of the game, Masiyoshi Kikuchi: 

"For us, it's a way to hopefully attract more fans to the Yakuza franchise, by widening the gameplay style that we created...." (Source: Joystiq) 

That makes sense considering that Yakuza is one of those series which is only popular in a certain number of people's circle. I'm not going to pretend like I know everything, especially business, but I'm sure that no harm will come from testing the waters, especially if the games have been consistently good up to this point. But I'm really just an outsider looking in. I'm sure this surprised a lot of people who have played all the games and enjoy the series, but as usual, I'm just curious to see more of it. It also makes me wonder if I really hate anything. Hm...well, anyway, there's no date yet on the game's release or if it is coming to the States, as far as I have seen. You can correct me on this.

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Didn't they just release Valkyria Chronicles 2?

Ugh. Valkyria Chronicles. Just the name alone brings shame and embarrassment to my soul. Not because I hated the game; no, far from that. It's because I haven't beaten the first one yet. And now there's one game already out and another on the way. If that's not motivation to finish playing, I don't know what is. But I digress. Valkyria Chronicles 3 is on the way and, for some, the unfortunate thing about the game is that it is coming for the PSP.  According to the released information about the game, this new game is set in the same time frame as the original Valkyria Chronicles as well as the same area, Gallia, but now there's a new perspective: new characters, in other words. 

Too cute not to put here.
It will retain the same gameplay as the first and second games, with of course, the usual refinements and tweaks. I would go into more detail, but like I said, I only played the first game, I can't speak for the second one to really compare the two. I would imagine that there were certain limitations with Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSP, but for the most part, it featured the same experience as on the PS3. What I can say is that playing Valkyria Chronicles makes me wish that I didn't play it at all. As I'm writing this, all I can think about is why the hell am I not playing it...and it's all because I played that damn game. It is an unique game, no doubt about it, but I think, often times I will get stuck somewhere, and I try to come back to it...and I end up not doing so. That's a fault on my part...which will force me to play VC as soon as I finish this blog up.

Sorry for that tangent. What's completely insane is that the game is planned to be released on January 27, 2011 in Japan. Roughly a year after the second game came out. That's almost Insomniac-like.
 January 27, 2011.  That's how long I have. Let's do it.
So one can only assume that VC3 will come out around the same time frame as VC2 in the States. But you know what they say about assumptions. Something about asses and umptions. I don't know. But yeah, Valkyria Chronicles 3. Totally unexpected. But glad to know that it is coming out so soon. Damn it...I hate my life.

The 3rd Birthday: Aya Brea Returns to Pull a Geist On You

Don't put that gun in your mouth, Aya! You're getting a second chance!
I admit, I haven't been paying as much attention to this game as I would have liked to. I remember hearing about it, being excited and then having it slip my mind. Then I realized how much I miss playing through Parasite Eve 1 and 2, which lead me back to thinking about The 3rd Birthday. What can I say? I'm a sucker for RPGs...which says a lot considering my back log of games that I have to finish up. But The 3rd Birthday intrigues me, especially after going through a couple of gameplay videos just to check up and refresh myself on what this game is supposed to be about. And also because it's another PSP game. And sadly, that's the only time we can really say anything good about the PSP.

The story so far:  Weird monsters called the Twisted causes some mess in Manhattan, in the year 2012, Christmas Eve. Not only do they create a serious pandemonium in the city and bringing humanity into extinction, they also seemed to be causing time to run in reverse, if you follow the recent trailer that was released back at GC 10. There is something called the Overdrive, which can apparently be used by the lovely Aya Brea, and it allows her to inhabit the bodies of any nearby ally. Seeing that in action makes me think about the game Geist for the Gamecube. I never played it myself, but I remember the gameplay revolving around the main character being a ghost and the only way he could interact with anything in the physical world was to take over someone's body. It's sort of like that. 

Remember kids: when there's a problem, the only way to solve it is with an M16 Assault Rifle. Oh, and Liberation. Trust me on this.
Remember kids: when there's a problem, the only way to solve it is with an M16 Assault Rifle. Oh, and Liberation. Trust me on this.

From what I'm seeing and hearing, The 3rd Birthday is getting some good buzz and one would hope so for a series that hasn't seen a new game in 10 years. I really wish I could put my hands on a demo, but for now, all I can do is simply write out that this is a game I am rooting for unconsciously. I have always enjoyed the Parasite Eve series, even 2, despite some of the hate that game gets, it still gives me a nostalgic feel whenever I think about both, so to say that my PSP will be glad to be in use again, makes me slightly happy for my PSP. It's due out in Japan around Christmas, which is...perfect in more ways than one. Welcome back, Aya. Glad to see you're still looking...young.

Damn...best birthday ever.
I could go on and on with this, but I figured I would stop here. I will list some honorable mentions, just to fill my quota of stuff I wanted to talk about:

Honorable Mentions (TGS 10)
 The Last Guardian (Holiday 2011.) Bonus: Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (Two great games in HD. Awesome.)
 Shadows of the Damned (Suda 51, Shinji Mikami, and Akira Yamaoka. Sounds good to me.)
 Metal Gear Solid: Rising (Slicing watermelons. bowling pins and cute little robots has never been cooler.)
 Ni no Kuni: Shiroki. (Level 5 and Studio Ghibli teaming up to give us what seems to be one awesome-looking game.)
 Asura's Wrath.(What the hell did I just witness?)
 Core Blaze. (Seems pretty interesting. It caught my eye not too long ago, though I should at least give it a mention.)

So with that now finished, I now turn towards my favorite part of doing this: my lovely gaming progress sheet. Unfortunately, this one will be quick and to the point.

What I am Playing Now:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Everything that I listed before, KH: Birth By Sleep, Mass Effect  and (an addition to the list, as of right now) Valkyria Chronicles.

So yeah, as I said, I'll make this very simple and quick: All those games I've listed as playing, I barely played through at all. Call it a flux in my video game diet. I'm trying to recharge my batteries, I suppose, so that I can make that plunge back into the games that I need to tackle. Final Fantasy XIII is still haunting me, at the moment. Stuck on Chapter 10 still. Just need to kill that boss, Cid, and I should be fine. Dragon Age: Origins, I don't think I need to talk too much about. It's a slow burn, but I progressed maybe a snick through the game. If I ever beat it, I'll kiss a cat. Haven't touched Persona 3: FES. Haven't touched Just Cause 2. Haven't touched Eternal Darkness. Played just the beginning portion of Birth by Sleep as well as Mass Effect.

That's it. That's all I got. It's been pretty hectic, but I hope to put at least some more time in any one of those games so that I can at least have more to say then that pitiful paragraph above. See? Quick and to the point. I will say that I'm liking what I have played so far of Birth by Sleep...that combat system works surprisingly well on the PSP, just like in Crisis Core. 
=====================================================================================================================================

And with that, I end this long madness. Maybe next time, I'll write this stuff ahead of time instead of this writing this out from square zero. Ugh. But anyway, if you happened to read this, thanks for doing so. Hope to do it again as soon as possible. It's a nice exercise for me. I leave you with your quote of the weekend:

"Nucleic domination has finally come to an end once and for all!"

LonelyVagrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By LonelyVagrant

Because I have nothing better to do, I present to you:

The Wandering Thoughts of the Lonely Vagrant (2nd Edition...Delayed)

IN H3D! (Not really)

Hello to all gamers and merriment aficionados alike. Welcome to my delayed, yet hopefully reading, blog on all things gaming, television, movies or anything else that seems important to talk about. Been in a little rut lately; actually, I've been in a hole the size and depth of the sky above. But seeing as doing this seems to help me cheer up a bit, I'm back writing more about what's going on in the gaming world, my world, and other assorted things that I might throw in, for laughs and giggles. So the big thing that's going on now is TGS, the Tokyo Game Show, and there were some interesting announcements coming out. I don't know if I'll cover them all but I'll hit a few interesting spikes in the radar. So let's kick it off with probably the biggest spike (in my mind):

DmC: The New Face of Dante

Boy...oh...boy: this is the Infamous 2 fiasco all over again, isn't it? In case, for some reason, you haven't been in front of a computer for a while or have friends that aren't keeping up to date on this, Capcom announced a new Devil May Cry game, or DmC, as the new logo showcases it to be. Not unexpected, and also not completing unwanted. Fans of the series have been clamoring after 4 came out. Some people felt that the game had not evolved into the modern console life-cycle. So would this Devil May Cry be completely redefined and refreshed for people's taste? Well...apparently, it was too redefined for people.
"My name is Dante," the dark-toned voice replied. "NO YOU AREN'T," cried the fans.
The second the image of the new Dante appeared, fans flipped their brain-storage. It wasn't Dante, despite the trailer immediately verifying to those that it was Dante (you know, just in case people couldn't put two and two together: guy with two pistols, DmC as the title.) This new "vision" of Dante has been so negative, even the original creator of Devil May Cry can't believe this change. The game is being handled by Ninja Theory, the collective minds that brought us Heavenly Sword as well as their new game, Enslaved (Capcom will have some of their teams helping out with the game as well.) Personally, I don't really have a huge problem with this.  

Sure, I hate the fact that they change the look of the character of Dante, but I think in a long run, the most important thing we have to really be conscious about is if the gameplay is going to be either the same or a total re-haul from previous games. The game (from the look of it) still seems to keep that kinetic style and over-the-top attitude that people know to associate the games...but all we have is a simple trailer; hell, not even a trailer, a teaser. A peek; a frigging flicker of a foundation that hasn't been fixed (Fixed, in this case, being stable).  I'm probably preaching to the choir and I totally get why people are complaining, but with this tidbit of information that we do have, it's too early to say anything. I want to see where this goes; I honestly want to see if, with all the backlash, that Capcom decides to change the character model a-la Infamous 2. But to really say anything about the game, we really need to see what are the changes, other than the cosmetics, being applied to this series. And as for Hideki Kamiya, I feel that he brought everything and more when he gave us Bayonetta, so for it to become the new Devil May Cry of this generation, it would surprise no one. That's it, done with that. But yeah, I wish to see more on the new DmC.  Supposedly it is scheduled for next year. We'll see.

Yakuza of the Dead: Or How the Living Dead got into my Yakuza game

I can't say that I am heavily into the Yakuza games, only in that I have only played the first one, which was pretty fun and enjoyable. I hope to at least play through the rest of the series one of these days just to keep up to date on it. That being said, even I was slightly surprised that this game is coming out. And it looks bat-shit crazy.  I mean, in a game where the idea was simply to give somewhat a realistic outset on the life of a Yazuka (again, I'm only going off on my knowledge of the first game) and then, all of a sudden there are zombies running wild, No warning, no hint of it as far as I know; there are now zombies as well as monsters of the genetically-altered variation.

But even with that, I am really digging it. If the game has always been about seriousness and reality and the like, then why not just have fun with it for a while. Go completely mental and just throw in zombies when you need to mood to be a little bit more cheerful. That seemed to be the idea when you read the statement made by the producer of the game, Masiyoshi Kikuchi: 

"For us, it's a way to hopefully attract more fans to the Yakuza franchise, by widening the gameplay style that we created...." (Source: Joystiq) 

That makes sense considering that Yakuza is one of those series which is only popular in a certain number of people's circle. I'm not going to pretend like I know everything, especially business, but I'm sure that no harm will come from testing the waters, especially if the games have been consistently good up to this point. But I'm really just an outsider looking in. I'm sure this surprised a lot of people who have played all the games and enjoy the series, but as usual, I'm just curious to see more of it. It also makes me wonder if I really hate anything. Hm...well, anyway, there's no date yet on the game's release or if it is coming to the States, as far as I have seen. You can correct me on this.

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Didn't they just release Valkyria Chronicles 2?

Ugh. Valkyria Chronicles. Just the name alone brings shame and embarrassment to my soul. Not because I hated the game; no, far from that. It's because I haven't beaten the first one yet. And now there's one game already out and another on the way. If that's not motivation to finish playing, I don't know what is. But I digress. Valkyria Chronicles 3 is on the way and, for some, the unfortunate thing about the game is that it is coming for the PSP.  According to the released information about the game, this new game is set in the same time frame as the original Valkyria Chronicles as well as the same area, Gallia, but now there's a new perspective: new characters, in other words. 

It will retain the same gameplay as the first and second games, with of course, the usual refinements and tweaks. I would go into more detail, but like I said, I only played the first game, I can't speak for the second one to really compare the two. I would imagine that there were certain limitations with Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSP, but for the most part, it featured the same experience as on the PS3. What I can say is that playing Valkyria Chronicles makes me wish that I didn't play it at all. As I'm writing this, all I can think about is why the hell am I not playing it...and it's all because I played that damn game. It is an unique game, no doubt about it, but I think, often times I will get stuck somewhere, and I try to come back to it...and I end up not doing so. That's a fault on my part...which will force me to play VC as soon as I finish this blog up.

Sorry for that tangent. What's completely insane is that the game is planned to be released on January 27, 2011 in Japan. Roughly a year after the second game came out. That's almost Insomniac-like.
So one can only assume that VC3 will come out around the same time frame as VC2 in the States. But you know what they say about assumptions. Something about asses and umptions. I don't know. But yeah, Valkyria Chronicles 3. Totally unexpected. But glad to know that it is coming out so soon. Damn it...I hate my life.

The 3rd Birthday: Aya Brea Returns to Pull a Geist On You

I admit, I haven't been paying as much attention to this game as I would have liked to. I remember hearing about it, being excited and then having it slip my mind. Then I realized how much I miss playing through Parasite Eve 1 and 2, which lead me back to thinking about The 3rd Birthday. What can I say? I'm a sucker for RPGs...which says a lot considering my back log of games that I have to finish up. But The 3rd Birthday intrigues me, especially after going through a couple of gameplay videos just to check up and refresh myself on what this game is supposed to be about. And also because it's another PSP game. And sadly, that's the only time we can really say anything good about the PSP.

The story so far:  Weird monsters called the Twisted causes some mess in Manhattan, in the year 2012, Christmas Eve. Not only do they create a serious pandemonium in the city and bringing humanity into extinction, they also seemed to be causing time to run in reverse, if you follow the recent trailer that was released back at GC 10. There is something called the Overdrive, which can apparently be used by the lovely Aya Brea, and it allows her to inhabit the bodies of any nearby ally. Seeing that in action makes me think about the game Geist for the Gamecube. I never played it myself, but I remember the gameplay revolving around the main character being a ghost and the only way he could interact with anything in the physical world was to take over someone's body. It's sort of like that. 

From what I'm seeing and hearing, The 3rd Birthday is getting some good buzz and one would hope so for a series that hasn't seen a new game in 10 years. I really wish I could put my hands on a demo, but for now, all I can do is simply write out that this is a game I am rooting for unconsciously. I have always enjoyed the Parasite Eve series, even 2, despite some of the hate that game gets, it still gives me a nostalgic feel whenever I think about both, so to say that my PSP will be glad to be in use again, makes me slightly happy for my PSP. It's due out in Japan around Christmas, which is...perfect in more ways than one. Welcome back, Aya. Glad to see you're still looking...young.

I could go on and on with this, but I figured I would stop here. I will list some honorable mentions, just to fill my quota of stuff I wanted to talk about:

Honorable Mentions (TGS 10)
 The Last Guardian (Holiday 2011.) Bonus: Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (Two great games in HD. Awesome.)
 Shadows of the Damned (Suda 51, Shinji Mikami, and Akira Yamaoka. Sounds good to me.)
 Metal Gear Solid: Rising (Slicing watermelons. bowling pins and cute little robots has never been cooler.)
 Ni no Kuni: Shiroki. (Level 5 and Studio Ghibli teaming up to give us what seems to be one awesome-looking game.)
 Asura's Wrath.(What the hell did I just witness?)
 Core Blaze. (Seems pretty interesting. It caught my eye not too long ago, though I should at least give it a mention.)

So with that now finished, I now turn towards my favorite part of doing this: my lovely gaming progress sheet. Unfortunately, this one will be quick and to the point.

What I am Playing Now:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Everything that I listed before, KH: Birth By Sleep, Mass Effect  and (an addition to the list, as of right now) Valkyria Chronicles.

So yeah, as I said, I'll make this very simple and quick: All those games I've listed as playing, I barely played through at all. Call it a flux in my video game diet. I'm trying to recharge my batteries, I suppose, so that I can make that plunge back into the games that I need to tackle. Final Fantasy XIII is still haunting me, at the moment. Stuck on Chapter 10 still. Just need to kill that boss, Cid, and I should be fine. Dragon Age: Origins, I don't think I need to talk too much about. It's a slow burn, but I progressed maybe a snick through the game. If I ever beat it, I'll kiss a cat. Haven't touched Persona 3: FES. Haven't touched Just Cause 2. Haven't touched Eternal Darkness. Played just the beginning portion of Birth by Sleep as well as Mass Effect.

That's it. That's all I got. It's been pretty hectic, but I hope to put at least some more time in any one of those games so that I can at least have more to say then that pitiful paragraph above. See? Quick and to the point. I will say that I'm liking what I have played so far of Birth by Sleep...that combat system works surprisingly well on the PSP, just like in Crisis Core. 
=====================================================================================================================================

And with that, I end this long madness. Maybe next time, I'll write this stuff ahead of time instead of this writing this out from square zero. Ugh. But anyway, if you happened to read this, thanks for doing so. Hope to do it again as soon as possible. It's a nice exercise for me. I leave you with your quote of the weekend:

"Nucleic domination has finally come to an end once and for all!"