Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -

Moonbase Alpha

So, there's this game on Steam now, Moonbase Alpha from NASA and friends. It takes place on the moon. Bad stuff is happening and you have to fix everything.

It's not easy to do alone, so luckily it can be played cooperatively. Unfortunately though, I was all by myself.

There is no winning in space. The moon only knows hate.

Resident Evil 5

Something else that has a cooperative mode is Resident Evil 5, which I played a bit of yesterday. I made a test video to see if I could edit together videos with footage and commentary from two people. I think it turned out pretty good, so a full playthrough is forthcoming. :D 

That's all for now. There's other new stuff on mah youtube page and stuff, but whatever. :P I'll be posting new music here too after I get some video to go along with it.
#1 Edited by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

You can win at Moonbase: Alpha on your own. You just have to do some pre-planning. 

There's a briefcase with a wrench and welder, along with a spare coupler by the solar panels. All you need to bring is a robot with welder arm and robot with grabby arm, which you can load onto the rover and drive over.

Game is ponderous and has a lot of annoying quirks, but is otherwise entertaining.

Educationally, I learned that astronauts are mentally incapable of holding more than one item at a time, or putting items in their belt. :|

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4282 posts) -

Is it actually a decent game, and does it have steam achievements? I saw it linked from GamePro and was slightly interested by the fact that it is free.

#3 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -
@jim_dandy said:
"Educationally, I learned that astronauts are mentally incapable of holding more than one item at a time, or putting items in their belt. :| "

Yeah, that got to me. :P

@mosespippy said:
" Is it actually a decent game, and does it have steam achievements? I saw it linked from GamePro and was slightly interested by the fact that it is free. "
It's not really much of a game and no it doesn't have Steam achievements. it is an interesting experience though and best played with a few other people.
#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Then my job is done. *evil laugh, turns on music*

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

I disagree Hamst3r. I think it would be awesome to die on the moon.

#6 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13232 posts) -

#8 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Moon-inhabiting Space Nazi's are terrifying.

#9 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

The Moon is still a threat 

Also that soldering mini-game looks intense yo.

#10 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
"
"

#11 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

" I disagree Hamst3r. I think it would be awesome to THROW A RAVE on the moon. "

#12 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

If I became President I would blow up the moon.

#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Then my job is done. *evil laugh, turns on music* "
You should think about moving. I see crowded in your future.
#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Claude: 

Not happening. Our technology can kick the crap out of yours, so there's no threat of you guys invading, or even moving here.
#15 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Pretty awesome, like usual. You know... I didn't think I was cut out to be an astronaut until I saw that video. Looks like I've got the upper hand, being able to turn around with minimal effort, bend over like a trained athlete, and hold multiple small objects at the same time.

From my completely amateur eye, that test video seemed to be done pretty damn well, too. And I'd like to see more of that RE:5 playthrough, as I think I'm done playing it for now.

#16 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -
@Hamst3r: I love how over the course of nearly 13 minutes you go from merrily chirping that the base looks like a puppy, to your ultimate morose apology that you've killed everyone.
#17 Edited by Evilsbane (4644 posts) -

Dude the moon base video was hilarious, your apology at the end was classic.

EDIT: Good job on the coop video to a lot of really funny moments

#18 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Are you calling my home terrifying?! How dare you sir.

#19 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Are you calling my home terrifying?! How dare you sir. "

I will destroy it, even if it's the last thing I do! The moon will be no more!
#20 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

Do I have to download steam to get moonbase alpha? It looks interesting.

#21 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

You should know that the moon is TRUE POWER!!!
#22 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

Really enjoyed watching your video as I had no idea this game existed . The idea of doing it co-op and the comparison to RE5 makes me wish they had zombies on the moon.

#23 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

this is my favorite moon.... Moon Unit Zappa  

#24 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

I wanted this post to be about someone being legitimately frightened of the moon. I wanted that so badly. Sigh.

#25 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -
@fedorajay said:

" Really enjoyed watching your video as I had no idea this game existed . The idea of doing it co-op and the comparison to RE5 makes me wish they had zombies on the moon. " 

#26 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -

If this game has the difficulty of the America's Army games, I will curse. a lot.

#27 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -
@buzz_clik: Hahaha, I don't know why they didn't just send the robot seen at the end to deal with the zombies right off the bat. Less heads would of been split in half.
#28 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

I demand an RE5 co-op Endurance Run!

#29 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -
@guiseppe said:

" I demand an RE5 co-op Endurance Run! "

And you shall receive one! ...Well, not an official Endurance Run, but I'm exporting the first episode of our playthrough right now. Editing the second later tonight. I'll start uploading them soon. :)
#30 Posted by dudeglove (8008 posts) -

Man, fuck the moon. Hanging up in the sky making fun of me while I sleep. Fucker.

#31 Posted by jkz (4039 posts) -

Do you record commentary in line, or do you record commentary separately from game footage / audio, and sync them up in editing? 

Just asking because I've been trying to find a better solution.

#32 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -
@jukezypoo said:
" Do you record commentary in line, or do you record commentary separately from game footage / audio, and sync them up in editing?  Just asking because I've been trying to find a better solution. "
It's all recorded at the same time, but into separate programs, which gives me a ton of freedom with the processing and editing. :)
#33 Posted by GrandpaJelly (207 posts) -

I know, my biggest fear is space.