#1 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

#2 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

I used to be a big Mike fan, but as I've gotten older and more into weird old B-movies and stuff, I like Joel's more friendly and lazy, laid back approach to MST3K, as opposed to Mike's more aggressive jabs at the films.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Who?

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I don't know what that is but I have a cousin named Joel so I guess he wins?

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Who?

#6 Posted by Pudge (882 posts) -

Obviously you duders need to set out a 90 min chunk of your life and watch this video.

#7 Posted by GeneralZod37 (260 posts) -

Everyone who answered Mike is wrong!

#8 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

Mike is great but my heart belongs to Joel.

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

I gotta go with Mike.

#10 Posted by Vuud (1948 posts) -

The Mike era was better because it had the best movies (for riffing).

#11 Posted by jeffrud (382 posts) -

Joel is the correct answer. I love them both though!

#12 Posted by Pudge (882 posts) -

I should probably post my answer. Maybe it's because my first episode was the Joe Don Baker western (I forget the name. Final Justice maybe?), but I've always been a Mike guy too. I just always laugh harder when Mike is tearing a movie apart. The mean streak is what makes the mediocre Mike movies better than some of the slogs we got in the Joel seasons.

#13 Posted by PlowDriver (32 posts) -

You have to love them both and it's almost an impossible choice. However I say this all just to put my hat in for Mike. I enjoy his snark.

#14 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

I lean towards Mike. Almost all of my favorites were during his run. But Joel definitely did the host segments better.

#15 Posted by Fluttercry (188 posts) -

I say I enjoyed Mike the best. I like his style of riffing a bit more. Plus we got Rifftrax out of him, which is hilarious.

#16 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

The real debate is who makes for a better Crow? Trace Beauliu or Bill Corbet? Mike, Bill, and Kevin make for such the perfect dream team that I can't go back past season 8 anymore. I've been to see several of their live Rifftrax broadcasts in theaters and those guys are still incredible together.

#17 Posted by SgtSphynx (1338 posts) -

Joel always seemed high to me

#18 Posted by Sor_Eddie (90 posts) -

@SgtSphynx: No, he was just running on like 3 hours of sleep on a good night. All the stuff he did with the show behind the scenes really took its toll.

#19 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (249 posts) -

While I think both of them were great in their role, I've always preferred Mike slightly more. Joel always came across as uncomfortable in front of the camera whereas it seemed more natural to Mike. I also felt that the relationship between Mike and the robots was better. If you're taking modern stuff into account, then it would easily have to be Mike. Rifftrax is much better than Cinematic Titanic. Despite all the talent involved with Cinematic Titanic, they just don't have the chemistry or timing that Mike, Bill, and Kevin have.

#20 Posted by twhalen (126 posts) -

I appreciate both, but I'll choose Mike if forced to decide. Full disclosure: I didn't start watching MST3K until Mike was host.

#21 Posted by ZagZagovich (757 posts) -

Joel is amazing his sleepy delivery and friendly nature is very suthing and gives that much more power to more cynical jokes when those come up. I grew to like mike but most of his stuff is in the later seasons where the out of movie segments grew unbearable. Both still hold up though, even the early pre-comedy central stuff.

#22 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

Both are great, but I'm going on the Mike side.

#23 Posted by TheIronYuppie (120 posts) -

Always, always Mike. Like others have already said, i liked Mikes' s snarkier delivery better, the movies of Mike's era were better and better for riffing.

Pretty sure Mike was one of the main writers for the show from fairly early on so the debate is a little moot. It was always Mike's words in Joel's mouth! :)

#24 Edited by medacris (648 posts) -

I think which one is better depends on which movie they happen to be riffing on (ditto on comedy in general-- I think you're generally only as good as the content you have to work with). I find the riff generally funnier if the movie itself is hilariously bad instead of just boringly bad.

That being sad, my favorite episodes are Santa vs. The Martians, Space Mutiny, The Final Sacrifice, and Pumaman.

#25 Posted by Jrinswand (1703 posts) -

I chose Mike because I watched that stand-up video of Joel and I freaking hate gag comics.

#26 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Mike by a mile are you crazy

#27 Posted by SgtSphynx (1338 posts) -
@Sor_Eddie: I know full well how sleep deprivation can affect you, he still seemed high to me, even if he wasn't.
#28 Posted by 71Ranchero (2733 posts) -

I voted for Mike but I wasnt happy about it. I hate that you made me choose.

#29 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

They're both great, but Joels voice can be kinda annoying.

#30 Posted by jerseyscum (870 posts) -

@Pudge said:

Obviously you duders need to set out a 90 min chunk of your life and watch this video.

*sigh*

Looks like my night is totally blown.

#31 Posted by jerseyscum (870 posts) -

I've gotta give Joel some love also.

#32 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Mike duh!

Nah I like Joel too, but I just like Mike's riffing style in the 5th and 6th seasons the best.

#33 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (615 posts) -

I enjoy watching episodes with Joel more but I think Mike has more/better riffs usually. Joel just has a much better personality/demeanor to me.

#34 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Mike Nelson and his robots pals are caught in an endless chase!

EDIT: Play Prince of Space at my funeral.

#35 Posted by Roomrunner (811 posts) -

Ask the internet, and ten times out of ten the majority will favor everything seasons 8-10 of MST3K, than anything before. The series speaks to this generation by being more cynical and mean spirited (in both their treatment of the films, and towards each other in the host segments.) Trolls on 4chan, something awful reviews, youtube videos of people screaming at bad videogames... the internet loves to be angry. That just can't compete with Joel's "Lemons into lemonade" approach to the series where he was trying to make fun out of the movies, rather than making fun of them.

That being said. Joel. He's the daddy. The show certainly was a lot funnier in the last three seasons, but not just because of Mike (keep in mind, he was the head writer of the show when Joel was around). Bill played a much more charismatic Crow than Trace ever did. They got the rights to a lot more 70s and 80s movies (even a few from the 90s), which are bad in much more entertaining ways than the 50s-60s ones Joel had to work with. And the planet hopping + clean slate of bad guys brought a lot of fresh ideas to the usually dull and formulaic host segments).

#36 Posted by Stubert73 (82 posts) -

Still follow @michaeljnelson on twitter and love rifftrax. Mike also had a big part writing Joel episodes of Mst3k so he's great for that too. I've just always enjoyed the mike episodes, though I think one of my faves (Mitchell) was a Joel joint.