Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Grimhild

@andrew2696 said:

@Grimhild: What? It is clearly destroying your childhood and everything you hold dear. You must get mad.

But yeah remakes happen. Ignore them if you don't care. Hating them is just wasting your time.

Indeed. I'm withholding judgement on the movie itself. Who knows? It might even be *gasp* entertaining!

But as far as remakes go, it doesn't bother me to see a different view on the same story. Whether it turns out okay or not is completely subjective. An example would be the Clash of the Titans remake. Many of my friends were complaining about how "everyone is just going to see it because of the CGI etc," and I felt it was necessary to point out that the '81 version was sold on basically the same draw, only it was stop-motion animation instead of CGI. As well as the bronzen Harry Hamil and Judi Bowker's side-boob.

Anyway, I understand how some people would feel betrayed since it can be seen as a slight against their nostalgia, but a remake doesn't immediately rob you of the original movie/game/book or what have you.

Unless it's George Lucas who goes and actually changes the original movie that people have developed an enormous amount of affection towards over two decades, with questionable results.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By MrCandleguy

@GunstarRed said:

I love Robocop, fantastic movie and I know it would be easy to whine, but that old suit just wouldn't work now. The modern design is fine, It's kinda generic armour type thing, but what else could they have done without making it look silly?

This is why I love giantbomb so much.

Logic.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Grimhild

@rebgav said:

@Grimhild said:

Anyway, I understand how some people would feel betrayed since it can be seen as a slight against their nostalgia, but a remake doesn't immediately rob you of the original movie/game/book or what have you.

I don't think that these particular remakes are a slight against nostalgia so much as a slight against the property itself. To do a surface-level remake of RoboCop, or Total Recall or Starship Troopers or whatever, is to completely miss the point. Look at the sequels to RoboCop for examples of how it fails as an action movie franchise. Or the TV show. Oh god, the TV show....

Well, to be fair, the "original" Verhoeven-directed Total Recall wasn't all that faithful to the Philip K. Dick story it was based on. But that also didn't bother me. They were each entertaining in their own different ways. Every IP, story, and so on will itself change and evolve into something else once it leaves the hands of the original creator. Sometimes they get better, other times worse.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By monetarydread

@HarlechQuinn said:

...Oh my... why do the keep shitting on/"remaking" my old childhood "heroes"... This "armour" looks really BAD!

Because there are people out there who weren't children when the original came out. Plus, this isn't "your," anything. This belongs to someone else who is allowed to do whatever they want with it.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By BombKareshi
@Grimhild said:

Many of my friends were complaining about how "everyone is just going to see it because of the CGI etc," and I felt it was necessary to point out that the '81 version was sold on basically the same draw, only it was stop-motion animation instead of CGI.

Ah, stop motion effects in live action movies. I love me some freaky-ass jagged robot movement. They should replicate that with CGI more. I can't imagine the original Terminator being half as scary walking smoothly. The jumpy motion contributes to the inhuman quality of the robot.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#106  Edited By Hailinel

@rebgav said:

@Grimhild said:

I don't think that these particular remakes are a slight against nostalgia so much as a slight against the property itself. To do a surface-level remake of RoboCop, or Total Recall or Starship Troopers or whatever, is to completely miss the point. Look at the sequels to RoboCop for examples of how it fails as an action movie franchise. Or the TV show. Oh god, the TV show....

Or the animated series.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Spoonman671
RoboCop?  More like RubberCop!  Am I right?!  Am I right?!

@MariachiMacabre said:
@FengShuiGod

@bartok said:

the director for the upcoming Starship Troopers remake said he is going to remove the satirical in your face fascism in favor of good ol' fashion patriotism

Wait, what? This....What?

So he's destroying the entire message of the original film, then? Fuck that.
Sort of how the original film destroyed the entire message of the original book?  Didn't seem to make the movie suck too much.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Spoonman671
RoboCop?  More like RubberCop!  Am I right?!  Am I right?!

@MariachiMacabre said:
@FengShuiGod

@bartok said:

the director for the upcoming Starship Troopers remake said he is going to remove the satirical in your face fascism in favor of good ol' fashion patriotism

Wait, what? This....What?

So he's destroying the entire message of the original film, then? Fuck that.
Sort of how the original film destroyed the entire message of the original book?  Didn't seem to make the movie suck too much.
But you can't honestly say that taking a movie with a message speaking out against the Gung-Ho military rhetoric and making it into that exact type of rhetoric is at all a step in the right direction. I'll still see the film for myself but hearing that news is obviously worrying.
Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Grimhild

@BombKareshi said:

@Grimhild said:

Many of my friends were complaining about how "everyone is just going to see it because of the CGI etc," and I felt it was necessary to point out that the '81 version was sold on basically the same draw, only it was stop-motion animation instead of CGI.

Ah, stop motion effects in live action movies. I love me some freaky-ass jagged robot movement. They should replicate that with CGI more. I can't imagine the original Terminator being half as scary walking smoothly. The jumpy motion contributes to the inhuman quality of the robot.

I was talking with someone about that very thing the other day. Often it's the slight unpredictability in movement that heightens our defensive reactions more than the form of something, even if it's a form or object that is otherwise seen as harmless.

And since you like freaky-ass stop motion, I'll throw this out again, simply because I think it's a great mash-up of Jiri Barta and NWW.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By John1912

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Kinda reminds me of Night Man. Anyone else remember Night Man?

I do now....Thanks! ><

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By Jackel2072

@John1912 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

I do now....Thanks! ><

oh dear god i remember that! but does anyone remember this?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#112  Edited By Hailinel

@Jackel2072 said:

@John1912 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

I do now....Thanks! ><

oh dear god i remember that! but does anyone remember this?

Oh, god. So many memories of bad superhero TV shows. And the main character in M.A.N.T.I.S. was even killed in the last episode. He was done in by something completely ridiculous, too, like an invisible dinosaur or something.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@MonetaryDread: Please allow us the complaining about unimportant things, that's all we "old" people still have left ;)

And of course it's their IP and they can do whatever the want to do with it, even let Murphy wear a pink armour tutu, if that's their artistic vision then that's fine by me and there might be some good/logic explanation for this... The only reaction they might get from me is that I might complain in a Video Game Forum that I don't like the armour and refering to some nostalgia tinted memories...

But I would never try to convince people to not see the movie, hell I might even go to the cinema if friends ask me to join (although the chances for that might be not very high, but this has nothing to do with the "quality" of any movie but with the fact that I don't like to go to the cinema nowadays).

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By JackOhara

@FengShuiGod said:

I think they could have gone with the redemptive-reborn-knight-christ thing robocop has going on and deck him out in all white. Get something going like this:

No Caption Provided

Ghost in the shell?

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BombKareshi
@Grimhild: Right on! That's some creepy shit, thanks for sharing.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

From what I understand there's actually no guarantee that is the final Robocop costume, but if that is to be, it's a bit disappointing. I don't particularly like the original Robocop armour, I think it looks rather silly, but this seems just a little too plain and Batmanish. I suppose it's better that it be something simple and straightforward though, than try to do too much wacky stuff and end up looking dumb. Honestly, I'm much less worried about his suit and more worried about the fact that Hollywood is continuing to become more and more about recycling old ideas than developing new and original ones.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grimhild said:

@andrew2696 said:

@Grimhild: What? It is clearly destroying your childhood and everything you hold dear. You must get mad.

But yeah remakes happen. Ignore them if you don't care. Hating them is just wasting your time.

Indeed. I'm withholding judgement on the movie itself. Who knows? It might even be *gasp* entertaining!

But as far as remakes go, it doesn't bother me to see a different view on the same story. Whether it turns out okay or not is completely subjective. An example would be the Clash of the Titans remake. Many of my friends were complaining about how "everyone is just going to see it because of the CGI etc," and I felt it was necessary to point out that the '81 version was sold on basically the same draw, only it was stop-motion animation instead of CGI. As well as the bronzen Harry Hamil and Judi Bowker's side-boob.

Unless it's George Lucas who goes and actually changes the original movie that people have developed an enormous amount of affection towards over two decades, with questionable results.

No Caption Provided

Heck yes this would get me into the theater. Look at that hair.

Totally agree, regardless of how new Robocop is it wont change the fact that the old one is awesome. I can understand having zero interest in it if it's looking bad (i'm gonna give this a chance unlike Michael Bays train wreck of a Ninja Turtles movie) but old Robocop is still gonna be great.

The suit looks a little meh but you're not seeing it properly lit and shot the way the director's intending. That has a lot to do with how the final product turns out. I'm gonna withhold judgement for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Is he going to throw chickens across levels or is he going to be, you know, Robocop? There's an important distinction there.

Isn't this not even supposed to be a suit? I hope it looks like a suit as a result of no CGI magic being all over the place.

Also, why did Robocop need to be remade again?

RabidBadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By RabidBadger

I don't care about the suit. But if it doesn't have the line "Bitches, leave!" then I will boycott this movie.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By cheesebob

BLARGLEARGLEMARGLE RUINING CHILDHOOD BLARGLEDGHJEKOVKJN

jesus christ GROW UP! Don't see the film! Ignore it entirely! Watch only the originals with its crappy special effects. Just stop moaning about it. No one cares!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By JazGalaxy

My brother and I were discussing this yesterday. I don't like the new suit becuase it doesn't look that uncomfortable, really. The whole point of robocop is that he's a monstrosity. I think you're supposed to feel pity and revulsion at what they made out of Murphy. The old Robocop doesn't even look like he can sit down. Like he couldn't go anywhere or do anything without breaking his surroundings to a pulp and the only thing he does well, what he was designed for, are the worst things about mankind. He's the worst thing about people and the best things about machiens combined into one giant horror.

The new suit looks, as someone said, like iron man or something...

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By GoofyGoober

Its fine to me, that original outfit was terrible.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, back to pretending that that reboot/remake/whatever doesn't exist.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Coafi
No Caption Provided

I don't care what you guys say, I still think that suit is pretty badass!

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Damian

This is what happens when audiences have convinced Hollywood into thinking that injecting "verisimilitude" will improve every property. Bottom line: Fuck Nolan and the people who say that his movies are the best comic book translations!