The new "SyFy" Channel

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Edited By Fade2Gray

My disgust with the SciFi Channel has reached a new zenith with thisannouncement first brought to my attention by the folks over at Penny Arcade. I'm tempted to say I

Just looks like yet another a nail in a coffin to me
can grow no more disenchanted with the channel than this, that my long, rocky, and dare I say masochistic relationship with the station has finally crashed jarringly to its bottom. If the last several years have taught me anything, however, it's that every time I think I've climbed to the highest peak of revulsion and based disgust with how they handle everything from their programing to their PR possible I'll only arise to find yet another higher summit looming into view; it can, and likely will, get worse from here... much worse.

I've suspected it for some time but, with this new name change and its accompanying press release, now it's official; the "SyFy" channel has utter disregard, if not outright contempt, for its "geeky" audience. Makes you wonder why they got into the Sci-Fi business in the first place.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fade2Gray

My disgust with the SciFi Channel has reached a new zenith with thisannouncement first brought to my attention by the folks over at Penny Arcade. I'm tempted to say I

can grow no more disenchanted with the channel than this, that my long, rocky, and dare I say masochistic relationship with the station has finally crashed jarringly to its bottom. If the last several years have taught me anything, however, it's that every time I think I've climbed to the highest peak of revulsion and based disgust with how they handle everything from their programing to their PR possible I'll only arise to find yet another higher summit looming into view; it can, and likely will, get worse from here... much worse.

I've suspected it for some time but, with this new name change and its accompanying press release, now it's official; the "SyFy" channel has utter disregard, if not outright contempt, for its "geeky" audience. Makes you wonder why they got into the Sci-Fi business in the first place.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

"By changing the name to Syfy, which remains phonetically identical, the new brand broadens perceptions and embraces a wider and more diverse range of imagination-based entertainment including fantasy, paranormal, reality, mystery, action and adventure, as well as science fiction."

I don't understand the reasoning to change the name at all if the programming will remain basically the same.  They've aired series that were not exclusively science fiction for years now.  Hercules, Ghost Hunters, ECW professional wrestling, Painkiller Jane, Sightings, Scare Tactics, and Tremors can all be classified outside the definition of science fiction and yet they ran on the network. 

I've read that they are trying to shed their geek image and broaden their audience, but I believe all they will wind up doing is alienating their core causing the people who do watch the network to go elsewhere for their entertainment, just like G4 when they attempted to lose their video game based identity.  Scifi wants to discard the geek image why change the name to something that is phonetically the same exact thing?  Although, I do understand that the new spelling will allow the network to copyright productions that bear the name, i.e. Syfy Presents.  Although, that never stopped The Discovery Channel, Military Channel, Science Channel, Food Network or DIY Network, so actually it still makes no sense.  Like Scifi is meant to be short for science fiction, DIY is short for do it yourself. 

Anyway, I hear there is a new Stargate series in the works...I never liked Atlantis, but I am curious, hesitantly so.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Gmanall

Make some cool moives and not B- movies I hope 

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By maxszy

I love Sci-Fi but the only thing I have watched on there for a long time has been Battlestar Galactica.

Avatar image for graphicartist21
graphicartist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By graphicartist21

“When we tested this new name, the thing that we got back from our 18-to-34 techno-savvy crowd, which is quite a lot of our audience, is actually this is how you’d text it,” Mr. Howe said. “It made us feel much cooler, much more cutting-edge, much more hip"

Yeah thats less geeky. Cause we all know the "techno-savvy" kids are the "cool" kids. Ridiculous!

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fade2Gray

@PenguinDust: You hit the nail on the head in almost every way. This DOESN'T make since at all. I can understand on a basic level why they might want to change the name to reflect their broader programing, but you would think someone in the company would realize the reasons why this is a horrible idea far out weigh the good. Its almost like this was some bad April Fools' joke that was going around the office and just wound up getting out of hand. As for Stargate, I did like Atlantis even though it had a LOT of missed potential, but I'm not feeling too excited about the next series based on what little I've heard about it so far.

@Gmanall: B-? Isn't that being a big generous?

@Maxszy: Eurika is actually pretty good. You might want to give that one a shot. And as for Battlestar... well, let just say I'm just not in the mood for another rant. Here's hoping the finale tonight actually manages to salvage something out of the series.

@graphicartist21: And remember what Jeff and Vinny learned; popularity leads to intimacy. It all makes since now! Those poor repressed SyFy execs...

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Serker

They play Twilight Zone sometimes... Otherwise that channel doesn't need to exist.