TheBill1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By TheBill1979

Greetings!

Since this is my first blog, I figured that it'd be a good idea to go ahead and introduce myself:

About Me.....

My name is Bill, as you may already know or have deduced from my handle here on Giant Bomb. A few of you may remember me from GameSpot.com. I, as some others have recently, have migrated over here from there due to some overall dissatisfaction with GS. I'm quickly approaching my 30-somethings. I've been playing video games since my father brought home a Commodore 64 in 1984. I'm a pseudo musician; I've been playing guitar for about 16 years now. But now it's just more of a hobby. I'm a big DVD/Blu Ray/HD-DVD (sniff sniff) collector. And I'm, of course, a gamer. I'm not what you'd call a "hardcore gamer" by any means. But I'm also not a casual gamer. I guess you could call me a "softcore gamer". The gaming equivilant to the adult programming found on Cinamax after midnight. I often make it a habit of putting console fanboys in their place in forums. It's somewhat theraputic. 

How I'm Liking Giant Bomb So Far....

I think this site is great. I definitely see the attraction. From the funny and informative Bombcasts, to the ability to edit and create Wiki-like entries, this site is like the perfect combination of MySpace/Facebook and GameSpot (only without all of the cam-whores and site breaking glitches).

So far, I've already racked up over 100 points. It's kinda cool to know that I'm actually helping to make the site stronger through user generated content. I've mostly been updating the second generation gaming sections. Mostly because, in the "classic gaming" world, that era is often passed over for 8-bit and 16-bit consoles (both of which I also love). So expect to see a lot of Intellivision and Atari console/game edits from me in the very near future.

I wish I knew how to add hardware entries (if there is indeed a way to do so). The absense of the Intellivision IntelliVoice Module in the "Accessories" section is a crime against gaming. But I realize that the site is still young and that the mods already have enough to keep up with. Maybe there will be more adding options added as the site continues to grow.

My Future On Giant Bomb...

I'm hoping and pledging to myself to be more active here than I have ever been on GameSpot. I've already got some great ideas for blogs. I'm hoping to at least post one well written blog a week. It would, however, be nice to have some more folks to interact with. So if you've stubbled upon my profile and think that we have some things in common (or if you just want to read my ramblings on a regular basis), please add me to your network. The more the merrier, I always say (except in the case of venereal disease and Mario Party games-----which may or may not be linked somehow).

If you are already on my network and have a friend on your network that you think I should know, feel free to suggest/link them to me. Afterall, a friend of a friend is a friend. Or something.

Looking forward to my days here on Giant Bomb!

Thanks for reading.

--TheBill1979
TheBill1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheBill1979

Greetings!

Since this is my first blog, I figured that it'd be a good idea to go ahead and introduce myself:

About Me.....

My name is Bill, as you may already know or have deduced from my handle here on Giant Bomb. A few of you may remember me from GameSpot.com. I, as some others have recently, have migrated over here from there due to some overall dissatisfaction with GS. I'm quickly approaching my 30-somethings. I've been playing video games since my father brought home a Commodore 64 in 1984. I'm a pseudo musician; I've been playing guitar for about 16 years now. But now it's just more of a hobby. I'm a big DVD/Blu Ray/HD-DVD (sniff sniff) collector. And I'm, of course, a gamer. I'm not what you'd call a "hardcore gamer" by any means. But I'm also not a casual gamer. I guess you could call me a "softcore gamer". The gaming equivilant to the adult programming found on Cinamax after midnight. I often make it a habit of putting console fanboys in their place in forums. It's somewhat theraputic. 

How I'm Liking Giant Bomb So Far....

I think this site is great. I definitely see the attraction. From the funny and informative Bombcasts, to the ability to edit and create Wiki-like entries, this site is like the perfect combination of MySpace/Facebook and GameSpot (only without all of the cam-whores and site breaking glitches).

So far, I've already racked up over 100 points. It's kinda cool to know that I'm actually helping to make the site stronger through user generated content. I've mostly been updating the second generation gaming sections. Mostly because, in the "classic gaming" world, that era is often passed over for 8-bit and 16-bit consoles (both of which I also love). So expect to see a lot of Intellivision and Atari console/game edits from me in the very near future.

I wish I knew how to add hardware entries (if there is indeed a way to do so). The absense of the Intellivision IntelliVoice Module in the "Accessories" section is a crime against gaming. But I realize that the site is still young and that the mods already have enough to keep up with. Maybe there will be more adding options added as the site continues to grow.

My Future On Giant Bomb...

I'm hoping and pledging to myself to be more active here than I have ever been on GameSpot. I've already got some great ideas for blogs. I'm hoping to at least post one well written blog a week. It would, however, be nice to have some more folks to interact with. So if you've stubbled upon my profile and think that we have some things in common (or if you just want to read my ramblings on a regular basis), please add me to your network. The more the merrier, I always say (except in the case of venereal disease and Mario Party games-----which may or may not be linked somehow).

If you are already on my network and have a friend on your network that you think I should know, feel free to suggest/link them to me. Afterall, a friend of a friend is a friend. Or something.

Looking forward to my days here on Giant Bomb!

Thanks for reading.

--TheBill1979
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

Welcome to Giant Bomb and I hope you enjoy your stay.

:)

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By coonce

Glad you're digging the site Bill..... I'll think you'll find the community one of the coolest things about the site. I truly hope you enjoy your time on the site -- and thanks for making GB a better place to hang out :)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Hey welcome Bill, I'm an older guy too. Well... a little older than you... 43. I've had a great time here at GiantBomb. There are a lot of great blogs out there to read and sometimes the forums can be fun. Have a good time and see you around the site.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Welcome to the site bud, nice blog post also, hope you enjoy your stay here!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By breadfan

Welcome to Giant Bomb! You will definitely enjoy what the site has to offer

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Optiow

Welcome to Giantbomb man!
if you do not mind me asking, why did you dislike Gamespot?

TheBill1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBill1979

@ Optiow:

I guess I always felt like I was working against GameSpot.com rather than enjoying it. It was always buggy (I don't know how many times I wrote a nice long blog, only to have GS erase it). I also really disliked some of the forum users, namely the GameFAQ users. Some of them were really rude and talked down to GameSpot members (ie: "The type of response you'd expect out of a GS'er").

I found myself never wanting to log on to the site. I would still visit (and still do) to read reviews and get some news snippets, but that's about where my interest peeked. Still, I do miss some of the folks from that site. I'm hoping that they'll make the jump over here soon.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By damswedon

hello i've sent you the Obligatory welcoming friend request.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By super_machine

welcome aboard.