#1151 Posted by MachoFantastico (4588 posts) -

Can't say I'm to happy for Rosberg after yesterday but super impressed by Daniel, what a class driver he's looking.

#1152 Posted by mrfizzy (1527 posts) -

Damn. Really wanted him to catch Hamilton!

#1153 Posted by Unsupervised (53 posts) -

I'm happy with a Rosberg win. The intense rivalry between the Mercedes is the only thing keeping their utter dominance at the front of the pack interesting.

#1154 Edited by T_wester (128 posts) -

N Rosberg Mercedes

2 Great Britain L Hamilton Mercedes

3 Australia D Ricciardo Red Bull

4 Spain F Alonso Ferrari

5 Germany N Hulkenberg Force India

6 Great Britain J Button McLaren

7 Brazil F Massa Williams

8 France J Bianchi Marussia

9 France R Grosjean Lotus

10 Denmark K Magnussen McLaren

11 Sweden M Ericsson Caterham

12 Finland K Raikkonen Ferrari

13 Japan K Kobayashi Caterham

14 Great Britain M Chilton Marussia

15 Mexico E Gutierrez (ret.) Sauber

16 Finland V Bottas (ret.) Williams

17 France J Vergne (ret.) Toro Rosso

18 Germany A Sutil (ret.) Sauber

19 Russia D Kvyat (ret.) Toro Rosso

20 Germany S Vettel (ret.) Red Bull

21 Mexico S Perez (ret.) Force India

22 Venezuela P Maldonado (ret.) Lotus

edit

#1155 Posted by Mijati (908 posts) -

@t_wester: Can't be right, Magnussen was lower than that

#1156 Posted by burgavo (213 posts) -

Im watching for pants wrenches

#1157 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

Really entertaining race. I found myself cheering on Ricciardo at the end.

#1158 Posted by Dezinus (250 posts) -

@burgavo said:

Im watching for pants wrenches

Hahaha. Glad I wasn't alone.

#1159 Edited by mrfizzy (1527 posts) -

Love how Nico and Daniel are all BFFs on the podium and then just Hamilton off to the side a bit.

#1160 Posted by Atwa (617 posts) -

Lewis does not look happy, he left that price pod quick.

#1161 Posted by Mister_V (1255 posts) -

That podium was amazingly awkward.

#1162 Posted by Grinsa (40 posts) -

@mister_v said:

That podium was amazingly awkward.

Agreed

#1163 Posted by Silan (29 posts) -

Magnussen is finally back on track with a nice 5-6 place, and then a drunk fin comes along and fucks it up. God damn it i hate you finland!

#1164 Posted by MachoFantastico (4588 posts) -

This one feels odd, what a strange podium. Can't help but feel that without Monaco's tight circuit things might have be different in regards to Rosberg vs Hamilton and Hamilton vs Daniel.

#1165 Posted by RedSquirrelBrown (42 posts) -

I'm a big fan of Benedict

#1166 Posted by CrazyCraven (163 posts) -

Good old Benedict Cumberbatch.

#1167 Posted by Dezinus (250 posts) -

Ricciardo just has the biggest grins in the world. Love that guy.

#1168 Posted by T_wester (128 posts) -

the eye thing sound like a very bad excuse

#1169 Edited by MachoFantastico (4588 posts) -

Awesome result for Marrusia, they have been much better this year. Delighted for them.

#1170 Posted by RedSquirrelBrown (42 posts) -

That 9th place for Bianchi could end up being huge for the team at the end of the season

#1171 Edited by MachoFantastico (4588 posts) -

Woo Canada, my favorite F1 circuit.

#1172 Posted by Mijati (908 posts) -

@dezinus said:

Ricciardo just has the biggest grins in the world. Love that guy.

Ricciardo Vs Brad Muir in a smile-off. Who would win?

#1173 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@t_wester said:

It isn't. If true he losses depth of field and considering the speeds and the tight corners those guys are taking it would be a huge disadvantage to not be quite sure how far you are from the wall.

#1174 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

I liked the 'He (Rosberg) didn't make any mistakes' from Cumberbatch and Hamilton.

#1175 Posted by datarez (545 posts) -

I wonder if Cumberbatch picks those questions or is forced to ask those awkward ones.

#1176 Posted by L44 (555 posts) -

I really enjoyed that one. Shame Ricciardo couldn't get 2nd, he was driving phenomenally. That battle for fifth was crazy and Maldonado you poor, poor man.

#1177 Edited by T_wester (128 posts) -

@t_wester said:

It isn't. If true he losses depth of field and considering the speeds and the tight corners those guys are taking it would be a huge disadvantage to not be quite sure how far you are from the wall.

yeah its no joke, still sound that way but respect for finishing with limited depth perception

#1178 Posted by burgavo (213 posts) -

Alright, see you guys for Canadian GP. :bye

#1179 Edited by smellylettuce (119 posts) -

WTF! my PVR didn't record TSN! Arrrgh! Any other Canadians experiencing problems?

#1180 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

I know that Sebastian has had some bad luck this year but is it fair to say, (at least this year), that Ricciardo is the best Red Bull driver. Qualifying matters, (see this race), a lot in F1 and he has consistently out qualified him. Ricciardo has only impressed me this year.

#1181 Posted by MasterpinE (63 posts) -

Bit of a slow burn that one, really came alive at the end. It's a shame the red bull's don't have enough raw power to stick with the merc's, would have loved to see Dan pull out a 2nd place but Hamilton just had too much speed on the straights. Gives me hope that by the end of the year or even next season with closer matched power these cars will be fantastically exciting because they're pretty good now.

Can't help but feel Hamilton is falling back into his old self destructive ways. He's very fast to look for excuses and drop his bundle. I'm not buying the "got something in my eye", he knew he couldn't chase Nico down in equal cars at Monaco and was looking for an out. I hope i'm wrong and i probably am, but he's got that personality. It's such a shame, he's a very talented lad but listening to his comments about his rivalry being up there with Senna and Prost... geez, give it a rest and focus on the drive. Let the pundits and journo's build the tall tales of rivalry and prestige, Lewis is great when he's just focused on his sport.

Really unlucky for Raikonnen too, punctures are just one of those things, would have been nice to see him battling with Dan. Enjoyed Hulk's drive too. Man, if he were half a foot shorter i can only imagine the impact he would be having with a decent drive. Just isn't an era for big blokes in these cars.

#1182 Posted by Gyrfal (105 posts) -

Mercedes:

#1183 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

Can't say I'm to happy for Rosberg after yesterday but super impressed by Daniel, what a class driver he's looking.

Stop whining. There's no way he went off the track on purpose. He qualified with the fastest lap and was the best driver today.

#1184 Edited by edgeCrusher (144 posts) -

So everyone seems to be making a big fuss about Hamilton throwing a hissy-fit over Rosberg's incident during qualifying where one of his wheels locked up going into a turn, causing a yellow flag. Now I admit I've been out of F1 for many many years, but are these cars at the WIpeout stage already where they have independent left and right brakes that can be activated independently? Because that's the only way I can see Rosberg intentionally causing that incident.

#1185 Edited by Khann (2817 posts) -
@edgecrusher said:

So everyone seems to be making a big fuss about Hamilton throwing a hissy-fit over Rosberg's incident during qualifying where one of his wheels locked up going into a turn, causing a yellow flag. Now I admit I've been out of F1 for many many years, but are these cars at the WIpeout stage already where they have independent left and right brakes that can be activated independently? Because that's the only way I can see Rosberg intentionally causing that incident.

Single wheels lock all the time (the majority of the time). An F1 driver would be well aware of how to force one of their wheels to lock intentionally.

Not saying he did it intentionally, because honestly I don't really care, but there is merit to the argument.

#1186 Posted by edgeCrusher (144 posts) -

@khann said:
@edgecrusher said:

Single wheels lock all the time (the majority of the time). An F1 driver would be well aware of how to force one of their wheels to lock intentionally.

Not saying he did it intentionally, because honestly I don't really care, but there is merit to the argument.

Huh, no kidding? I do know that single wheels lock up often, I've watched enough highlight reels this season to know that, but I wasn't aware there were things a driver could do to force that. Interesting...

#1187 Posted by diz (918 posts) -

I think Hamilton's petulance will be his downfall. Perhaps he should change his mind over Mercedes new psychologist. Well done Rosberg!

#1188 Edited by FinalDasa (1586 posts) -

I'm new to the sport and this was actually the first race I've ever watched. I enjoyed the race but the full explanation of why Hamilton and Rosberg seem to have such disdain for one another isn't fully clear to me.

Or why people seem to think Hamilton is such an asshole and Rosberg is so great? Just personal opinions or is there past issues with Hamilton that warrants these feelings?

#1189 Posted by horseman6 (385 posts) -

I'm new to the sport and this was actually the first race I've ever watched. I enjoyed the race but the full explanation of why Hamilton and Rosberg seem to have such disdain for one another isn't fully clear to me.

Or why people seem to think Hamilton is such an asshole and Rosberg is so great? Just personal opinions or is there past issues with Hamilton that warrants these feelings?

Some really really off-putting comments from Hamilton over the years and especially towards Nico recently. Nico has been pretty good about holding his tongue but Hamilton is acting like a child. It's showing even during races; the constant complaining and throwing around blame at everyone but himself is getting very irritating.

#1190 Posted by FinalDasa (1586 posts) -

@horseman6: Gotcha. Do teammates usually have a pecking order? Like if they're both doing well, like Mercedes is, is one always supposed to be in first place and the other in second?

#1191 Edited by rethla (447 posts) -

@edgecrusher: if you brake and turn right at the same time you lock up your left wheel. You need to brake early enough to stop the car before turning. Nico locking his wheels whas not the cause of the accident only a result of him braking to late. All the data, fia engineers and experienced drivers (Niki Lauda, David coulthard, Eje elgh etc.) support Nico in this.

Its just silly those who thinks he did it on purpose.

#1192 Edited by isomeri (1245 posts) -

@finaldasa said:

@horseman6: Gotcha. Do teammates usually have a pecking order? Like if they're both doing well, like Mercedes is, is one always supposed to be in first place and the other in second?

Teams usually have a main and secondary driver, but in most cases the team doesn't really care which driver ends up on top as long as both drivers collect the maximum amount of points for the team. However if the drivers championship rivalry is really close, a team may start preferring the driver who currently leads in points so that he has a better chance to win the overall championship. Instructions on who should end up ahead, or team orders, were banned from the sport for a long time but after incidents like the one below became more prevalent the FIA allowed them.

#1193 Edited by mrfizzy (1527 posts) -

As others have stated, Hamilton's problems with his eye may well have been true but I can't blame people for assuming he is just throwing blame onto everyone/everything except himself.

If he thinks he is better than Nico (and I think he may well be) that's great but he needs to shut his mouth and prove it on the track.

For me, those final laps with Ricciardo trying to take Hamilton just proved to me that Merc has this season sewn up. They way that Hamilton would just power away from Ricciardo as soon as they hit the straights showed just how much more power the Merc cars can lay down. If they couldn't catch them at Monaco, I have no idea how they could ever catch them on any other circuit.

See you all for Canada ay! (it will be shown here in Aus at 4am on the Monday morning, God help me).

#1194 Posted by diz (918 posts) -

@rethla: I thought it would be the right wheel that locks (as in Rosberg's case) since more force in placed on the left hand side in a right turn and the right wheel is more likely to have less grip and therefore be more prone to locking.

Additional data for Rosberg's lap was that he was travelling 7 kph faster than he was in his previous fast lap before that incident.

#1195 Edited by rethla (447 posts) -

@diz: You may be right in this. I was thinking most of the sideway force goes into the left wheel so even if it has more grip it also has more load. In any case you shouldnt floor the brake and turn at the same time.

Maybe Drew can clear this up on the next podcast? :)

#1196 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

A lot of former F1 drivers say Nico definitely locked-up on purpose. If you go back and read about qualifying in F1 you'll find a lot of gamesmanship taking place, especially at Monaco. These are some of the best drivers in the world with superior car control. Those cars have so much downforce it should be all but impossible to make them slide yet F1 drivers can do it easily. I don't think there is anything really wrong with that. You do what you can do to win. Schumacher, as great as he was, used to pull stuff like this to.

#1197 Posted by Damodar (1331 posts) -

Maybe since we've lost the cacophonous whine of the near 20,000rpm V8s, Lewis is whining louder to compensate. This could be the new Merc solution after their exhaust trumpet idea didn't pan out.

#1198 Edited by diz (918 posts) -

@rethla: Left has more grip and load, so right has less grip and load, so is more prone to lock. No need for Drew here.

No-one is flooring the brakes - if they did, both fronts would lock. Without ABS it is a delicate and changing balance of brake pressure that stops a wheel from locking while applying maximum braking force in a corner. I guess things are less tangible and direct with energy harvesting (in the rears) during braking too.

#1199 Posted by BaconGames (3358 posts) -

I think it's fun drama to watch the front but for me I'm happy the middle pack was super exciting to watch. Even the very back got its share of battles today. Glad to see Hulkenberg continue to do so well and good job to Ricciardo once again. Also yeah Marussia! If I recall correctly it's been 5 years and this is their first time with points.

#1200 Posted by edgeCrusher (144 posts) -

Thanks for all the clarifications and analysis guys, fun stuff. I think I finally "get" the appeal of F1. Now, lets move on from all the doom and gloom, and talk about the most exciting think Vettel did all weekend, almost run over Kimi Raikkonen in the pit lane. Thankfully it didn't happen, but if it did and Raikkonen was injured enough that he couldn't drive the next day, what would Ferrari do? Call up a reserve? Race a man down?