#1251 Posted by mbdoeden (171 posts) -

One fucking hell of a race. I properly gasped when that Massa crash happened, that looked fatal for a second.

#1252 Posted by SJQPersonal (72 posts) -
#1253 Posted by Trusty_Spoon (81 posts) -

Just watched the race. HOLY SHIT! I think its safe to say that the Canadian Grand Prix is now my favourite race of the season! So eventful!

#1254 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Ricky-ardo!

I feel bad for Massa and Perez, but it was a great race.

#1255 Posted by talibanchic (119 posts) -

As an Australian I was yelling at Perez A LOT. Amazing finish and gutted to see Massa and Perez go out like that, especially Massa, but seeing the replay Perez moved his line and pretty much caused the accident. Rosberg is a man who can handle some pressure that's for sure.

Maldonado cant be long for the F1 world can he?

#1256 Posted by mrfizzy (1528 posts) -

Oh man, when my alarm went off at 3.50AM this morning I was so close to just not bothering but now so happy I did. Those last 20 laps were so intense.

I was impressed with the lack of whining from Hammilton and felt really bad for him when his breaks went. Loved how Merc seemed to be more or less resigned to the fact that Rosberg was going to get passed but god damn if he didn't fight for his position. Good on him.

Have to say that Perez/Massa crash was quite scary to watch. First big crash I have seen watching live. Glad that both of them were OK but I really would have liked to see Force India on the podium.

As an Aussie I was grinning like an idiot when Ricciardo took Rosberg. Have to wonder what he would be doing if he was in a car equal with the Mercs.

#1257 Posted by horseman6 (389 posts) -

Anyone have any more insight as to why this was Perez's fault? Did he really change his racing line because that's not what I saw in the replays. It looks very much like Felipe Massa got pissed and purposely turned into him.

#1258 Posted by MajorZiggy (42 posts) -

@horseman6:

"We showed the stewards evidence that Felipe brakes about five metres earlier than the lap before.

"There is evidence from the side shot - if you take Felipe and Sebastian through the braking phase, the distance between them is the same and you see Perez is backing towards Felipe.

"We showed them the overhead shot. Perez brakes very early, and the car jinks to the left, either because he does it or because of brake problems, I don't know.

This is from here.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27758096

#1259 Edited by stenchlord (233 posts) -

I was super bored early in the race but damn that was a super exciting end.

Chopper view of the Massa/Perez crash - https://vine.co/v/MD0BgJYVeam

On board with Vettel as Massa passes him - https://vine.co/v/MD07j6lMTeW

Props to Rosberg though for being able to hold his position despite all the issues, just a testament to how good a driver he is (and just how ahead of the curve Merc are with their cars atm).

Also Ricciardo is such an upstanding bloke

Also looks like Perez is getting a drop of 5 grid positions in the next race :/

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f1-2014/f1-2014-07/Formula%20One%20Canadian%20Grand%20Prix%202014%20Document%20-%2044.pdf

#1260 Edited by MachoFantastico (4650 posts) -

That's why I love the Canadian circuit. Proof that the classics are still the best. Fantastic race throughout and congrats to Daniel, proving again what a class driver he looks.

Shame for Lewis and I'm not sure how I feel about Rosberg not getting a penalty of sorts of cutting the corner as he clearly got an advantage. Still, epic battles throughout. That crash at the end was scary, once upon a time that could have seriously injured one of those drivers, thankfully the cars are build like beasts nowadays.

#1261 Edited by stenchlord (233 posts) -

27g is pretty damn impressive to be able to walk away from.

Still not quite the same as David Purley's crash in 1977 where he survived (with many broken bones) a 178g crash (173km/h or 107mph to 0 in 66cm or 2ft)

EDIT: Didn't know about this one - 214g crash in 2003 by a driver named Kenny Brack

#1262 Posted by talibanchic (119 posts) -

@horseman6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUEbC1bf2sc

Check out that vid.

#1263 Posted by Hero_Swe (1132 posts) -

Eugh! EUGH! What are the stewards thinking? Perez was on a one stop strategy and his brakes and tyres were basically gone, he was driving like a hero throughout the entire damn race only to have Massa completely rear end him because he wasn't paying attention or he was over-eager (Everytime you thought he could have overtaken Vettel he just span his rear coming out of the corners). That incident is all on Massa, whatever "evidence" Williams could have come up with is pretty bullshit stuff. Perez deserved that podium.

#1264 Posted by rethla (453 posts) -

Yes it wasnt the best performance from the Williams drivers. They both pushed to hard and cracked from the pressure in a car that could easily make the podium. Maybe even 1st. The crash was just the epitath and the final nail.

#1265 Edited by stenchlord (233 posts) -

Massa was looking at taking the inside lane, when he saw that Vettel had it and he couldn't fit in behind him, he pulled to the right to get behind Perez but because Perez hit the brakes so early and changed his line, Massa turned into him.

#1266 Posted by Khann (2833 posts) -
#1267 Edited by Phouchg (59 posts) -

@talibanchic: Hm that is weird to give Perez the blame for that. Sure he was taking a tighter line but there definitely was room on the inside, no idea why massa suddenly turn out towards perez.

#1268 Posted by Berserker976 (343 posts) -

Damn, that was a lot of skill and a lot of luck.

This race perfectly illustrated why I like Vettel. I know it's cool to hate on the guy but not only is he clearly an A-tier driver, after the race you could tell he was genuinely happy for his teammate. And keep in mind this is a guy who is a 3 time reigning world champion that has been out-qualified and out-scored by his new teammate pretty consistently this year. He has every reason to harbor ressentiment towards him, and after all the drama that is the Mercedes team rivalry I think Vettel's response stands in pretty stark contrast.

#1269 Posted by forkboy (1138 posts) -

I dunno, it just seemed like a racing incident to me. Perez had been having problems with his brakes, of course he started braking a little early. Also, 5 metres when you are driving at the speeds you hit at the end of that straight is...it's a fraction of a second. It seems absurd he's being penalised over that.

That said, I'm just glad they were both able to walk away from it because for a few seconds there I was seriously worried.

#1270 Edited by Craymen_Edge (22 posts) -

The ruling was that Perez illegally changed his line going into the corner.

It did look like a racing incident to me. But, the stewards have access to a lot more data than we do, and there are several rules about when and how much you can change your line when around other cars.

It would be really if nice if an f1/sport site could break it down and explain the decision.

#1271 Posted by Phouchg (59 posts) -

This race perfectly illustrated why I like Vettel. I know it's cool to hate on the guy but not only is he clearly an A-tier driver, after the race you could tell he was genuinely happy for his teammate. And keep in mind this is a guy who is a 3 time reigning world champion that has been out-qualified and out-scored by his new teammate pretty consistently this year. He has every reason to harbor ressentiment towards him, and after all the drama that is the Mercedes team rivalry I think Vettel's response stands in pretty stark contrast.

Yeah I was really rooting for him this time. He's actually a really likeable guy, people just started turning on him because he won all the time. And he's even a 4 time reigning world champion not 3 (crazy i know). :P

#1272 Edited by Berserker976 (343 posts) -

@phouchg said:

@berserker976 said:

Yeah I was really rooting for him this time. He's actually a really likeable guy, people just started turning on him because he won all the time. And he's even a 4 time reigning world champion not 3 (crazy i know). :P

Ha! Lesson learned, don't post about F1 immediately after waking up. :P

#1273 Posted by talibanchic (119 posts) -

@phouchg: If you just watch Perez in that video you can see he just rides left of his line as Massa moves up. Gotta hold that line.

#1274 Posted by Damodar (1375 posts) -

Yeah, I'm glad you posted this, because I heard a bunch of different people make comments about how Seb got really lucky to avoid being clipped, but no mention of the fact that he did make a key evasive correction. Obviously, the angle only had to be ever so slightly different and Massa would have ploughed into him in a completely unavoidable way, but he still deserves credit.

#1275 Posted by forkboy (1138 posts) -

Is the rule not still that you are allowed to make one defensive move? Did Perez do more than that?

#1276 Posted by Phouchg (59 posts) -

@talibanchic: I've been watching and checo was in front and is allowed to chose his line and massa had lots of room on the inside to still make a try for a pass.. problem is his car twitches when he brakes and he goes straight in to checo. For me it's a very clear race incident.

#1277 Posted by Khann (2833 posts) -
@phouchg said:

@talibanchic: I've been watching and checo was in front and is allowed to chose his line and massa had lots of room on the inside to still make a try for a pass.. problem is his car twitches when he brakes and he goes straight in to checo. For me it's a very clear race incident.

http://i.imgur.com/WRTu05L.jpg

#1278 Edited by talibanchic (119 posts) -
#1279 Edited by Khann (2833 posts) -
@talibanchic said:

@khann: that's an excellent image, who made it?

Someone on Reddit.

I think that it was ultimately just a racing incident. The penalty was way too harsh and was only given due to the severity of the crash.

#1281 Posted by Damodar (1375 posts) -

Just got a news alert about this. Really glad to hear it, hopefully his rehabilitation goes ok. An injury like that and then a coma of that length has to have a pretty serious impact on the brain.

#1282 Posted by Corvak (1009 posts) -

Saw that just now, was going to post it.

Glad to hear it, the man is a legend.

#1283 Edited by Mister_V (1269 posts) -

I got a Sky news push notification on my phone and as i started reading it thought it was going to be bad news..

Still a long road ahead but this is an encouraging development.

#1284 Edited by Dezinus (264 posts) -

Woah, pretty neat news! I had read some rumors about him being moved to another hospital a while ago, and wasn't sure if there was improvement, or they were giving up on a proper recovery.

#1285 Edited by forkboy (1138 posts) -

Great to hear about Schumi starting on the road to recovery. Obviously it'll be a long road, but he's a strong character and I'm sure he'll cope with the difficult times ahead.

#1286 Posted by IzunaDrop (143 posts) -

Also Ricciardo is such an upstanding bloke

Legend. Not just a smiling assassin. That Vettel cam is haunting...

#1287 Posted by Corvak (1009 posts) -

Danny mentioned on the Bombcast that they were going to record an episode yesterday.

Now that all this video game show tomfoolery is in the bag, it's time for Austria :)

#1288 Posted by Unsupervised (53 posts) -

Vettel did some viral marketing for Roundabout during Practice.

#1289 Edited by ThaDun (22 posts) -

It seems to me that Danny got sick and that's the reason there's no pre-Austria alt+F1 show.

I think hit the nail on the head there. Maybe.

#1290 Posted by burgavo (235 posts) -
@thadun said:

It seems to me that Danny got sick and that's the reason there's no pre-Austria alt+F1 show.

yeah I was thinking the same thing after it didn't show up by thursday. So if you're sick Danny feel better soon!

#1291 Edited by Sessh (787 posts) -

Man, what a huge upset. Mass and Bottas in first row and Hamilton only 9th.

I was already excited for this race, since it's been way to long since the F1 was here in Austria, but now it's gonna get really fun.

#1292 Edited by Unsupervised (53 posts) -

Hell of a qualifying. A seemingly straightforward track has a huge weakness for everyone leading to some surprising failures and a really interesting grid.

#1293 Posted by Mister_V (1269 posts) -

Well that was unexpected!

Well done Williams.

#1294 Posted by burgavo (235 posts) -

Wow spectacular end to Q3. Happy to see Williams own the front row for the first time in a long time. Strange to see Mercedes can't maintain their advantage on the super soft's. I'll be intrested to see how this pans out in the race.

#1295 Posted by rethla (453 posts) -
@burgavo said:

Wow spectacular end to Q3. Happy to see Williams own the front row for the first time in a long time. Strange to see Mercedes can't maintain their advantage on the super soft's. I'll be intrested to see how this pans out in the race.

Hamilton was on a much faster lap when he went offtrack at the last section.

#1296 Posted by burgavo (235 posts) -

@rethla: Wow spectacular end to Q3. Happy to see Williams own the front row for the first time in a long time. Strange to see Mercedes can't maintain their advantage on the super soft's. I'll be intrested to see how this pans out in the race.

yeah, but it seems like the gap to the rest is a lot smaller on the super soft's, it was in qualy at canada as well I think.

#1297 Posted by Pr1mus (3874 posts) -

What the hell happened with Hamilton? That did not look like a mistake on his part. You can't really lock the back wheels like this.

#1298 Posted by XenoNick (1403 posts) -

Just saw the highlights. What an incredible Q3. Great result from Williams. Really excited to seeing what happens tomorrow. (Gutted I don't have Sky to watch this one live)

#1299 Posted by burgavo (235 posts) -

@xenonick: Don't know if this will work for you, but it's working for me so far. caught qually yesterday. Quallity isn't the best but It's better than nothing.

http://nl.vipboxeu.co/motorsports/95559/1/skysports-f1-:-skyf1-%28not-24/7%29-live-stream-online.html

#1300 Edited by rethla (453 posts) -

The Williams cars are pure drag racers, They just launch like a rocket on the straights and then slow as hell in the corners. If they can just get some power down during corner exits they should be impossible to overtake but ofc they cant :(

I still wonder why Mercedes never uses their 8th gear, it seems to be working well for Williams at 330km/h +