The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 discussion thread

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, emotions and comments on this thread. It was a pleasure discussing all the matches and   reacting to big moments with giantbombers!

Official
FIFA website

FIFA world cup fantasy game

Complete schedule  (PDF format)

GROUPS:  

Teams and Squads:

GROUP A

GROUP B

GROUP C

GROUP D

GROUP E

GROUP F

GROUP G

GROUP H

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By armaan8014

So did your country make it? Who will you be supporting? Who do you think will win? 
Use this thread for all pre match discussions, predictions and post match reactions! 
My country didn't make it, so I'm supporting England as I'm a Chelsea fan, also I'm supporting Ivory Coast (underdogs!) and am hoping that Drogba sees them through the group stages

PS: Sorry, the player names are highlighted and are not visible. You'll have to select/highlight their names to be able to read the names.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

Jesus christ that's a lot of information you put into this. This deserves to be pinned... 

In any case, I'm no real soccer analyst, but I'll be rooting for Germany. They always seem to be consistent when it comes to getting around at least the semi-finals.

PoppaKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PoppaKyle

My country didn't make it. Turkey. I'll be supporting USA, and South Africa.  

I'm excited to watch it friday morning
PoppaKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PoppaKyle

Actually I have loads of friends from the Netherlands so I'll probably end up cheering for them

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

haha England vs America . The winner decides if football should be called football or soccer

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

I hope USA does well, but knowing my luck...they will lose, like every other team I root for.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By teeknuts

If the US gets out of the group stage I'll be happy. I would love for the Dutch to overcome their Dutch-ness to actually win a world cup, and if not them, Spanish football is just too great to not cheer for.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Both of my countries, South Korea and New Zealand, made it but I think they won't make it any further and lose spectacularly. I don't have a team I'm supporting because my only interest in the World Cup is just watching some soccer.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By armaan8014
@Meteora: 
Thanks, it was fun :)
 @turbomonkey138: lol, true. I'm guessing it will probably be called football, we all know who's gonna win that match! 

@Teeknuts:  Almost all of my friends are supporting Spain. They DO look like they could win it this time, but i'm not too sure. 

@Scrumdidlyumptious: Wait, I'm confused. There are 2 Korea(s?) that qualified for the world cup! Do all parts have different teams? And hey, you can always support N Korea or the other one, no?
billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By billmcneal

I hope USA and Mexico do well. But a team from South America or Europe will probably win it all, as usual.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar
@billmcneal said:

" I hope USA and Mexico do well. But a team from South America or Europe will probably win it all, as usual. "

Spain is still a beast since winning the european cup. And yes my country is there, Portugal, but we are utter shit atm, the pinacle of a steady decline over the last 6 or so years (finalist in euro 2008, how the fuck did we lose to greece is still a mystery, then semi finals in world cup 2006, which was still very nice, then only quarter finals in euro 2008, and now im seriously wondering if we even get through the group stage)

edit: oh and just a hilarious little sidenote, Fifa has us (us as in Portugal, not US as in United States heh) as the THIRD best squad in the world atm (or at the time of the last rankings a few weeks ago)...what the FUCK are they smoking over there?
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us

I am Australian so naturally I am going for the Socceroos. But I would love to see the Ivory Coast and other under dogs do well.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By armaan8014
@Rhaknar said:
" (finalist in euro2008, how the fuck did we lose to greece is still a mystery, then semi finals in world cup 2006, which was still very nice, then only quarter finals in euro 2008, and now im seriously wondering if we even get through the group stage)
I think you meant 2004 there. And Portugal is in the so - called group of death! I'm supporting Ivory Coast because of Drogba and Kalou, so see you there! :)
SaintMits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SaintMits

England all the way. And I'm so damn excited, can't wait for it to start and I just want to see some top quality football.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

I will have this thread pinned to the top of Off-Topic for the entirety of the World Cup and take it down a few days afterward.  Enjoy!

Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Frostler

USA! USA! ALL THE WAY! ALL THE WAY!

SaintMits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SaintMits

I'd just like to say well done on the topic, really well done and pretty exhaustive.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Rhaknar
@armaan8014 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" (finalist in euro2008, how the fuck did we lose to greece is still a mystery, then semi finals in world cup 2006, which was still very nice, then only quarter finals in euro 2008, and now im seriously wondering if we even get through the group stage)
I think you meant 2004 there. And Portugal is in the so - called group of death! I'm supporting Ivory Coast because of Drogba and Kalou, so see you there! :) "

I did mean 2004 obviously :P
gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By gosukiller

Holland! Not a single point lost while qualifying. We will tear shit up!

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

Doesn't Drogba have a broken elbow or something? 

I will be supporting England (we still believe, it's coming home, etc.), but I will try to watch every game I can, because there is no better event than the World Cup. It makes me ^_______________________^

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hence they shall win. 
Hence they shall win. 
Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Liono88

My money is definitely on Spain or Holland

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EdIsCool
@gosukiller said:
" Holland! Not a single point lost while qualifying. We will tear shit up! "
I hope the dutch win it,as I'm studying game design in Amsterdam at the moment, defence is utter shit, but buckets of style and great attacking players. 
A loss to Brazil in the quarters is most likely.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By armaan8014
@TheLegendofLuke said:
" Doesn't Drogba have a broken elbow or something?  I will be supporting England (we still believe, it's coming home, etc.), but I will try to watch every game I can, because there is no better event than the World Cup. It makes me ^_______________________^ "

looks like he's fit now.
And hey! I'm supporting England as well! High five!
aylien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By aylien

Go Australia!
Here's hoping the Socceroos make it to the knockout stages.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ben99

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Spain All the way . Keep an eye for David Villa . The rest of the team is magical
ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ElegantRuby

I don't think I'll be able to watch the games due to my schedule, but I will be following it.  I'm rooting for the USA all the way, even though I know we will loose.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By lumley

England all the way! 

That must have have taken forever to make, well done sir!

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By themoon13

I have no allegiance to France, but I hope Domenech gets fired finally after this. He's an absolute idiot.

Let's hope Serbia makes it out of the group stage this time.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ClaritySam

"England till I die, Im England till I die.  I know I am, I'm sure I am I'm England till I die.  Eeeeeennnnnngggggggland till I die...." - Repeat till end of tournament :-) 

PS Didier Drogba is an absolute disgrace and I'm gutted he's recovered from his injury. You could add Patrick Viera's violent streak to Cristiano Ronaldo's blatant cheating, multiply the result by ten and STILL end up with a player who was nowhere near as repellent as him.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cap123

England! We will mostly likely disapoint but one of these days... one of these years!!!! 

I would also like to see Germany, Serbia and Ivory Coast do well.

p.s where are you from armaan?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By armaan8014
@Lumley:  Thanks. Yeah the squad part did take some time. Sucks that the players names are all invisible until you highlight them though :)
@ClaritySam:
What? Come on! He's not that bad! I've followed all the Chelsea matches, and have never seen him act even close to how that dick C.Ronaldo acts!
ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ClaritySam
@armaan8014:  You obviously missed him ending the last three champions league campaigns getting sent off in disgrace, screaming obscenities at the tv camera when Chelsea lose, constantly diving all over the place etc etc
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By armaan8014
@ClaritySam: 
I was screaming obscenities with him so that's so big deal. And he doesn't dive that much, no one beats Ronaldo at that!
markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By markini6

To be honest I'll be happy if England reach the semi-finals. I swear to god, if we lose in a quarter final, on penalties, to Portugal, for the third time in recent memory, I will lose all faith :) On the BBC website it said that experts were predicting England to come 4th overall, and I could live that :)

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37  Edited By MachoFantastico

Awesome threat mate. 

Come on England!

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rawrz

Im rooting for the US though I know they wont get very far. If i had to pick a country to win Id probably go with Brazil or Spain. I just look forward to watching England lose since I take joy every world cup in having to hear people praise them like there the greatest team ever just for them to never win anything.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ChickenPants
@ClaritySam said:
" "England till I die, Im England till I die.  I know I am, I'm sure I am I'm England till I die.  Eeeeeennnnnngggggggland till I die...." - Repeat till end of tournament :-)  PS Didier Drogba is an absolute disgrace and I'm gutted he's recovered from his injury. You could add Patrick Viera's violent streak to Cristiano Ronaldo's blatant cheating, multiply the result by ten and STILL end up with a player who was nowhere near as repellent as him. "
I agree with everything you said about him but yet I love him!(and I'm a Man Utd fan)
He's a fascinating character and, in my opinion football needs as many characters as it can get.To me he's just ridiculous and resembles a comic villan in a lot of ways.Not to mention he's an amazing sportsman.

On topic, I am sooo pumped for somes matches today.I see S.Africa getting a plucky draw or maybe snatching a win.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cap123
@ClaritySam:  but with the amount of charity work he does and how famous he is among africans expect a huge drogba love in for the next month! no matter what he does on the pitch.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By armaan8014

haha, the opening ceremony is funny but it's good to watch. :)

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ineedaname

=D should be a good one.

I kinda hate the world cup for everything that surrounds it, and how people manage to delude themselves England can win it.
Up against teams like Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, on paper our team compared to theirs is terrible and half the players don't even want to be there.

Ima back Germany to win.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By armaan8014
@Ineedaname: 
I have no idea who's gonna win, should just be a fun tournament to watch! :)
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cap123
@Ineedaname:  hmmm on paper we're pretty strong, that's the problem when we play so horrifically.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ineedaname
@cap123: Oh come on, look at that team and compare it to any of the other favourites.
Our goalkeepers all have their major down falls.
Our defence is practically broken as it is, and Terry looks like he's getting slower.
The midfield on paper is solid, but put any of them in a team together and they seem to go to pot.
The strikers are also pretty good, as long as it's Rooney and Crouch that could be a saving grace, but up against a bigger club I imagine both of them including the rest of the team to really really struggle, we nearly lost to Japan, even if that wasn't our proper side, it doesn't say anything good about them.

@armaan8014:
I'm backing Germany because they're all disciplined and solid players, their team will be really hard to break down and I picture them trying to play their best against anyone, even if both their strikers are Polish, they all seem to want to be there.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cap123
@Ineedaname:  on paper we have a better midfield than pretty much anyone (not spain) i agree that together they're useless but that's not what on paper means. Defensively we have the best left back in the world, and centre backs who are world class even if they're getting old. Terry needs a fast partner, if he has that it could rival anyones, Serbia perhaps have the best but we're not far off. Germany for example have awful centre backs. No argument with goalkeepers, though i think Hart could do a good job for us. Wayne Rooney is a force to be reckoned with, though with no decent partner it's laughable in the face of Argentina's. 

We have a great team in defence and midfield ON PAPER. that's all i'm saying. Attack is decent. Goalkeeping awful. I'm not saying we have a chance of winning it really, I'm just saying in comparison to the other teams we're not terrible on paper, like you said, we just don't get it together at all.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ChickenPants
@Ineedaname said:
" =D should be a good one.  I kinda hate the world cup for everything that surrounds it, and how people manage to delude themselves England can win it. Up against teams like Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, on paper our team compared to theirs is terrible and half the players don't even want to be there.  Ima back Germany to win. "
You can't seriously claim that Germany has a better team than England on paper.ugh I'm not even going to argue.
Anyways every team has their weaknesses ''on paper''. That's the beauty of international football you can't just go out and splash the cash to fill holes, everybody just has to make do.

First match in 20 minutes -SO friggin excited!
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By clubsandwich

so fucking exited, I'm mexican so you should know how I'm feeling! :P VAMOS MEXICO PUTA MADRE!!!!!!!!!

SA 1 - 3 M, Chicharito, Dos Santos and Marquez, fuck yeah.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By get2sammyb

WORLDDDDDDDDD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I reckon 2-1 to Mexico.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Its Brazil's year. We won every 8 years the past 2 times. I think RSA will win today's game though.