The Old Boy remake has a trailer.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Krullban

If you've seen the original, what do you think of this? Do you think they will keep the original plot twist? The trailer sort of implies that he knows who his daughter is, but that might not actually be his real daughter and the other girl in the trailer might be his daughter. A twist for the people who already know the twist, and expect it to be changed or something.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

First off, that trailer really just gave away the entire movie. Second, I don't enjoy that this exists one bit.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like they at least tried to recreate the hallway scene. I doubt they did it in one shot like they did originally though. If the twist doesn't remain the same the impact of the ending will be ruined.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

First off I'd spoiler most of that stuff since who knows maybe some people will want to watch the original and it's a shame to ruin it for them.

Second - I don't want to completely write this off from the start, although there is no real reason why it should exist. The main actor doesn't really fit with me, seems too clean, too Hollywoodish. Samuel L Jackson should definitely not be in this at all. Who knows maybe it will be alright, I just don't think it should have been remade at all, but the almighty dollar and all that.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aegon

Oldboy was so fucking messed up. Damn.

Don't know how I feel about this. Also, remove the spoilers from your post.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought he had one station to watch or it was very limited. Also it does seem like the trailer gave away the whole thing. I really wish this wasn't a thing.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity:

It's funny because Jackson already starred in a recent, shameless DTV knockoff of Old Boy.(Down to the big twist and everything.)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Humanity

I haven't seen the original in quite a number of years but it sees like the trailer for the 2003 release gave away essentially just as much story.

Loading Video...

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldboy is an amazing film. The Bollywood version was trash, this version looks incredibly soulless.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

First off, that trailer really just gave away the entire movie. Second, I don't enjoy that this exists one bit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that was a good trailer, but maybe the movie will be OK. The original had such great word of mouth and is easily accessible for American audiences, so it feels a little slimy for there to be an American remake. If you've seen the original, Brolin does not seem anywhere close to as good as Choi Min-sik. But my hope is that they try to do something interesting. That cross on the wall and the bible in the trailer stand out so maybe they will incorporate religious themes or something.

I think it would have been smarter to do a trailer that wasn't a such a hodgepodge of various imagery. Something about it seems a little too "Hollywood". I would love to hear what people who haven't seen the original think about this.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how to feel about this, it just seems...wrong. The original was amazing and this one doesn't seem to have the same feel and impact that the original did. Eh I probably won't watch it.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By strainedeyes
Loading Video...

As long as the hammer fight is better than this one.

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Whamola

I don't really care that they're remaking the movie. I DO care that it seems to be exactly the same movie, only with white people. I don't really feel comfortable with Spike Lee putting his name on it. It'd be like if I took a Queen song, used different instruments, and claimed I wrote the song.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aegon

@nicked: Yeah, Min-Sik is definitely one of the best actors I've ever seen. It took a while into "I Saw the Devil" before I realized the bad guy was him. I figured it out when I paid attention to his eyes.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rebgav

I don't understand the thinking behind making mid-budget trash versions of cult movies. Morbid curiosity is not a big draw for me.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Mushir

I literally can not see where it would improve on the original. One of the most unnecessary remakes of all time.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@nicked: Yeah, Min-Sik is definitely one of the best actors I've ever seen. It took a while into "I Saw the Devil" before I realized the bad guy was him. I figured it out when I paid attention to his eyes.

MIn-Sik is amazing, he has easily become one of my favorite actors and he was great in I Saw the Devil. My friend and I walked out of that movie and could not stop talking about him and his performance in it and other movies.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshthebear

Oh god. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the point of remakes when all they seem to do is recreate the old movie shot for shot. Why not just watch the original at this point?

I enjoy my remakes when they go crazy and try different things. I have way more respect for something like Total Recall, which wasn't great, but at least didn't feel like the exact same thing.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The plot seems slightly altered from the original movie - but at every point of that trailer, I feel like they are missing the point of it. It doesn't have the tone which made the original work so well.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

@slashdance said:

I don't see the point of remakes when all they seem to do is recreate the old movie shot for shot. Why not just watch the original at this point?

I enjoy my remakes when they go crazy and try different things. I have way more respect for something like Total Recall, which wasn't great, but at least didn't feel like the exact same thing.

There's a lot of people who simply don't watch movies in other languages, and there are pretty legitimate reasons for that. This just allows those people to experience the story too, nothing wrong with that.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks EXACTLY like Oldboy....

VirtuaGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't seem too bad except for the fact that it is 100% pointless so I will never watch it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, I'm confused. The trailer shows him seeing his daughter grown up giving an interview on TV. Doesn't that completely conflict with how the events unfold throughout the rest of the film? Or is that a trick his capture employs so that he thinks he knows what his daughter looks like?

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I never saw the original, so I thought this looked pretty cool. I guess that makes me uncultured or something.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andorski

I never saw the original, so I thought this looked pretty cool. I guess that makes me uncultured or something.

Just watch the original. It's fucking demented.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@andorski said:

Wait, I'm confused. The trailer shows him seeing his daughter grown up giving an interview on TV. Doesn't that completely conflict with how the events unfold throughout the rest of the film? Or is that a trick his capture employs so that he thinks he knows what his daughter looks like?

The latter, I assume. They're mixing in a redemption sub-plot rather than the movie just being about revenge.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@andorski said:

@anothersomebody said:

Just watch the original. It's fucking demented.

Or don't, because it's fucking terrible.

OPINIONS

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but...ehh

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@benpicko said:

@milkman said:

I think that's because you've already seen it. I don't see how this trailer reveals anything to someone who has no idea what Old Boy was about.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jimmy_p

Trailer looked like they replicated about every other shot from the original. And whats worse, generic cinematography- standard Hollywood orange/blue color scheme. And whats with the dumb yellow umbrella

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know Oldboy's great and all but it's nothing compared to the fucking gut punch that is "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" I feel like he managed to make the perfect revenge film first time out.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to lack emotional depth. But maybe that's just a premature judgement.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put on my "I have never seen Oldboy" hat on, this films looks really good (if a little weird).

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a movie made to make money quickly and easily.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx

It pissed me off. I saw this trailer yesterday.

Mainly because I don't believe good movies need to be remade.

But who knows, maybe it will be good. I mean, they have good actors. Josh Brolin is a good actor- although I always think of Goonies when I see him haha

I don't know. Old Boy is an amazing film.

Edit: Also, I am going to bet they get rid of the "slept with his own daughter" part of the story. This movie looks like it wants a bigger audience so I feel like they may take it out.

Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the twist ending of the original I wonder how they do this one

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OldBoy is my favourite movie. I won't be going to see this. I feel fucking angry that this remake even exists. Leave perfection alone, Trashywood.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate that this remake exists, but I am pleased to learn that so many people here have seen the original. Great movie.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmy_p said:

And whats worse, generic cinematography- standard Hollywood orange/blue color scheme

Whoa, whoa, whoa, don't insult Sean Bobbitt now

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I think the trailer was fine. I'm interested to see it solely because Josh Brolin is fucking awesome.

Moreover, while everyone is saying "oh, they are gonna get rid of the original ending where he sleeps with his own daughter," we're talking about Spike Lee. He's never been one to shy away from damn near ANYTHING. Therefore, I can see them keeping it intact.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Oh god dude, seeing Spike Lee in the credits makes me say no, but seeing Josh Brolin makes me say yes.

- Goddamn it looks like Lee filmed this shot for shot with the original flick, also fuckin incest.