'The Orphanage' remake in the works

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo
"The Hollywood Reporter says that actor-producer-director Larry Fessenden has signed on to helm The Orphanage, the remake of the Spanish horror movie.

Fessenden has written the script with Guillermo del Toro, who is the producer of both the original and the remake.

The 2007 film has directed by Juan Antonio Bayona and centers on Laura, who pruchases her beloved childhood orphanage with dreams of restoring the long abandoned facility as a place for disabled children. Once there, Laura discovers that the new environment awakens her son's imagination, but the ongoing fantasy games he plays with an invisible friend quickly turn into something more disturbing.

The project is in search of a lead actress."

Personally, this film doesn't need a remake it, the original was made two years ago. However, if Guillermo del Toro is on hand to produce then I have at least a little faith that Hollywood won't butcher the film.

No Caption Provided

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

2007 remake? that's even faster than that hulk remake heh

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By NickM

Great film, the fact that Del Toro is doing the remake makes me somewhat hopeful. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bruce

Isn't the point of this to re-do it in English?
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flaminghobo
@Bruce said:
" Isn't the point of this to re-do it in English? "
Pretty much, but I don't really see much of a problem watching a foreign film in subtitles if it's good. Also it adds to the creepiness of the film somewhat for me, being in unfamiliar territory with an unfamiliar language while all this crazy shit is happening creeps me out even more than say a horror film in English would.
gordoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By gordoa

And America is going to fuck it up like they did with Ju-On.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Akeldama
@NickM said:
" Great film, the fact that Del Toro is doing the remake makes me somewhat hopeful.  "
yea i was a naysayer up until i say Del Toro was on this as well. 
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

That was the last movie I've seen that seriously put me on edge. It wasn't exactly scary (besides a few jump scares here and there) but it was really a strange and emotionally disturbing film. I still wish the ending didn't suck so much though. Here's hoping they don't do anything crazy with it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

This film does not need a remake. Just watch the original spanish version. I really hate all these foreign film remakes just because a large portion of the american audience don't have the attention span to read subtitles. Rather sad actually. 

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer

I am disgusted! The Orphanage is a beautiful movie that does not need a remake.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Tordah
@teh_destroyer: Yeah, I agree. It feels especially pointless and retarded when it's such a recent movie too. [REC] and Let The Right In also suffered the same tragic fate and I'm sure there will be more to come.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RetroIce4
@gordoa said:
" And America is going to fuck it up like they did with Ju-On. "
True dat.
Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

I thought was made it creepy was that the kids were speaking Spanish, it just makes it that much more chilling.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187

This movie doesn't need a fucking remake!!!  The original was INCREDIBLE!!! 

I'm so so so so SOOOOO sick of Hollywood wanting to remake foreign language films with subtitles because Americans are too goddamn lazy to just READ THE FUCKING CAPTIONS!!!

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Osaladin

Why the hell does hollywood have to ruin everything that is good that didn't come from America? The original movie is awesome, subtitles or no, it's fine. Leave it alone!

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By fr0br0

I'm disappointed in Del Toro. It kind of seems like he's selling out to the Americans so he could get their money.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
@Fr0Br0 said:
" I'm disappointed in Del Toro. It kind of seems like he's selling out to the Americans so he could get their money. "
This as well!  Del Toro constantly pushed how proud he was of foreign language films like The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth being hailed in America...and now he's going to remake a movie due to, what I would assume, is mostly language issues? 

Also...is it just me, or was Belen Rueda hot?!
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_destroyer
@RetroIce4 said:

" @gordoa said:

" And America is going to fuck it up like they did with Ju-On. "
True dat. "
The Grudge was directed by a Japenese director :|.
XmassCthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By XmassCthulhu
@jakob187 said:
" @Fr0Br0 said:
" I'm disappointed in Del Toro. It kind of seems like he's selling out to the Americans so he could get their money. "
This as well!  Del Toro constantly pushed how proud he was of foreign language films like The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth being hailed in America...and now he's going to remake a movie due to, what I would assume, is mostly language issues?  Also...is it just me, or was Belen Rueda hot?! "
Not just you. She's way hot.

But yeah, the news of this remake is incredibly disappointing. When a populace is too lazy to read lines of dialogue, they simply don't deserve to be entertained. ;-)
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By strangeling

With today's technology, why remake a whole film just because people can't be bothered to read subtitles?  Start doing voice overs, and just CG the mouths to match the words when necessary.

foghorn6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#21  Edited By foghorn6

@Osaladin said:

"Why the hell does hollywood have to ruin everything that is good that didn't come from America? The original movie is awesome, subtitles or no, it's fine. Leave it alone! "

How is Hollywood ruining anything? The original will still exist, will it not? Are you worried about a new audience seeing the remake and thinking less of the original, which they probably won't know about to begin with? 

The Wicker Man film that was released in 1973 is still an excellent film despite the terrible remake that was released in 2006.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Raven

So....They're re-making the movie for the lazy people that can't be fucked reading subtitles?

Hollywood loves taking great foreign films and turning them into trash and I doubt this will be any different, even if Del Toro is involved...

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By strangeling
@Foghorn6 said:
"How is Hollywood ruining anything? The original will still exist, will it not? Are you worried about a new audience seeing the remake and thinking less of the original, which they probably won't know about to begin with?  The Wicker Man film that was released in 1973 is still an excellent film despite the terrible remake that was released in 2006. "
Sometimes a remake or cover can be good. 
A lot of the time a remake or cover is totally unnecessary ( the most recent example I can think of is ~the Day the Earth Stood Still~ ). 
What I dislike is that people experience the "new" stuff without the knowledge of the "old" stuff, and end up thinking the wrong people made this story / song they really like. 
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By guiseppe

Oh trust me, Hollywood will butcher the film. Has there been any foreign remake that's been any good? Or on par with the original?

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meltac

That's not really good news, even though I have some minor faith in the project because of Del Toro, but it's really stupid that all these movies gets an American remake. [REC], Let The Right In, which someone else mensioned, and theres also a Danish movie, which is getting a remake, and that movie isn't that old either

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Bigandtasty said:
" 2007 remake? that's even faster than that hulk remake heh "
Both The Hulk and this movie are not remakes per se. The 2008 Hulk was a completely new take on the comic book character more akin to the Hulk TV series than anything. The Orphanage is simply an english-make. They are making the same movie except  with english actors. The same thing was done with The Ring, The Eye, and The Grudge all of which were originally japanese movies. In my opinion it is rather lazy of American film makers. They should be making a new movie not just buying the rights to a foriegn one.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kohe321

The 2007 film was awesome, so I hope the remake does it justice.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By strangeling
@JeffGoldblum said:
"Both The Hulk and this movie are not remakes per se. The 2008 Hulk was a completely new take on the comic book character more akin to the Hulk TV series than anything. The Orphanage is simply an english-make. They are making the same movie except  with english actors. The same thing was done with The Ring, The Eye, and The Grudge all of which were originally japanese movies. In my opinion it is rather lazy of American film makers. They should be making a new movie not just buying the rights to a foriegn one. "
Don't forget ~Dark Water~. 

@Meltac 
Now that you mention it, I think I did hear something about "translating" ~Let the Right One In~ too.  And sooo much can be lost in translation.  You have to figure the films will probably be botched / lackluster, because the directors, et al, will want to "make it their own" instead of "copying" the atmosphere, etc. of the source material.
Avatar image for szayelaporrogranz
SzayelAporroGranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well in my opinion I'm not saying that I think this movie will be better than the original but I do not think people should not be harshly judgemental of this remake saying how much hollywood will butcher it untill we'll see how good it'll shape up to be in a trailer of it.

*puts up a flame shield*

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GunnBjorn

We had this cool Spanish movie [rec], it was awesome! 
Then the god-awful Quarantine came out, and Hollywood killed it.
spaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By spaded

i can never take this film seriously, for one reason, as i was walking out of the cinema when i saw it, i heard someone say....... " you know you have gone crazy when you making flan for ghost's" 

i cried for  a good 5 mins lol

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#32  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I like to think that when a film gets remade somewhere else (America isn't the only country to do this.  A lot of films in India, for example, are remakes of older concepts), that they bring attention to the originals.  Doesn't always work that way, but unfortunately a lot of domestic audiences won't even hear about the foreign versions of these things, either because of the language barrier or because the film didn't see wide distribution in the proper venues.  There are some films that manage to break directly through into big foreign markets, but they're definitely the exception.

TheTerrifyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheTerrifyer

why remake shit? i don't get it.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Bruce

I watched the Spanish version. I was expecting horror, but got decent-thriller, meh.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By flaminghobo
@TheTerrifyer said:
" why remake shit? i don't get it. "
Neither do I, your post that is.
TheTerrifyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheTerrifyer
@FlamingHobo said:
" @TheTerrifyer said:
Neither do I, your post that is. "
it makes perfect sense. the film is barely 3 years old, and compared to el laberinto del fauno its and piece of steaming dogshit. also, it'll be a complete failure.

just look at something like quarentine, remake of the spanish horror film rec. went completely under the radar. those two films had barely a year between them. and both were crap.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By flaminghobo
@TheTerrifyer said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @TheTerrifyer said:
Neither do I, your post that is. "
it makes perfect sense. the film is barely 3 years old, and compared to el laberinto del fauno its and piece of steaming dogshit. also, it'll be a complete failure.  just look at something like quarentine, remake of the spanish horror film rec. went completely under the radar. those two films had barely a year between them. and both were crap. "
I actually enjoyed both Quarantine and The Orphanage, though I haven't seen the original [REC]. I just wanted to hear some justification to your post, and I've never heard of nor seen El Laberinto Del Fauno.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

GOOD! Maybe this time he'll make a fucking horror movie. My biggest problem with the original was that there were some genuinely creepy moments, but we get swept up into a whimsical fantasy by the end and it pretty much ruined the film for me.