fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fr0br0

Yo! Giant Bomb Raps

I've been seeing a significant lack of Hip-Hop discussion on these boards. I wasn't sure if that was due to pure lack of interest in the genre or if there just wasn't really a venue to talk about it. Hoping for the latter, I've created a hub to discuss anything Hip-Hop/Rap.

Talk about what you've been listening to, old and new releases, who you think every person on the planet should listen to, who you think is wack (That means lame for the uninformed) or ask for recommendations if you're a newcomer or are just having trouble finding any new artist to pick up. I plan to revisit this thread and update it with any new hip-hop album I listen to.

So without further ado, here is what I've been recently bumping:

Logic - Under Pressure
Logic - Under Pressure

Never heard of the dude before this release. Was pleasantly surprised by the high production value, the very intricate beats, and Logic's colorful flow. The Tarantino and Christopher Nolan references were also pleasant to hear on a pretty classic sounding style of rap. However, with sequential listen thrus, I find it harder and harder to like the album due to Logic just straight up lifting rapping styles from other modern rappers such as Kendrick Lamar and Drake. It's an album I really want to love, but I find it hard to see this guy as genuine when he just rips lines from all the songs he's listen to in the last two years. (Soul Food is the track Jeff was referring to when discussing ballads in Rap music)

Notable tracks:

Logic - Soul Food

Logic - Buried Alive

Logic - Nikki

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

Fuckboys beware, this album is legit as shit. I'm a relative newbie to Run the Jewels. I didn't pick up their first album until a couple months ago. I wish I listened to the El-P/Killer Mike duo from day one because I now feel like I've missed out on life every moment I slept on them. Not as breathtaking as their first release, but offering a fuller album that features a larger spread of emotions than the original, there are many gems to catch here. Almost completely different from the Logic album in a production standpoint, as somebody who is growing tired of the trap sound a lot of modern hip-hop has been experiencing as of late, I find El-P's version of filthy beats to be much more fun and colorful than the majority of what is released today. Paired with the raw, but not-trying-to-hard lyrics of Killer Mike, this is a dangerous duo that should definitely be noted.

Notable tracks:

RTJ - Blockbuster Night Part 1

RTJ - Oh My Darling Don't Cry

RTJ Ft. Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine - Close Your Eyes

RTJ - Early

So does anybody have any opinions on these albums? What are some of your guys' all time favorite albums? WHAT THA FUCK ARE YA'LL BUMPIN'?????

Disclaimer: This is not a thread to start arguments about dissing (disrespecting) an entire genre of music. Debating about an artist is one thing, but blindly raging about how much you dislike the entire genre with no other reason than "lololol they just talk and c'rap'" is just lame and unwanted.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

A much needed board.

RTJ2 is my album of the year. Blockbuster Night is fucking hype.

Finally got around to listening Ab-Soul's latest, These Days recently. Thoroughly enjoying that as well.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Hopefully this necro isn't frowned upon, but using some logic here.

So I almost made a dedicated thread but figured I could just put it in this old thread for some general Hip-Hop talk, since that goes on with Wrestling and other stuff on here.

Anyways, rest in peace to in my opinion the best rapper in all of Hip-Hop Sean Price at only 43 years old. The man had brought me so much happiness through his music and was such a strong, independent and unique guy, on top of being supremely talented as an MC. I'm really cracked up about it just sitting here. Just wanted to say a few words and pour one out on the Giant Bomb forums here. If you are not familiar with his work and love some outstanding wordplay, flow, and humor in your Hip-Hop you need to check this man out. He is the classic "your rapper's favorite rapper" MC.

Need to get it off my chest because I am sitting here actually on the verge of tears for a few hours. Dude has meant a lot to me.

Loading Video...

All this love in my heart.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow Sean Price died? What the fuck? R.I.P. Heltah Skeltah's Nocturnal is a classic and Sean P had some excellent solo work. I'm shocked right now.