The price of strategy

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Just yesterday I was watching the Resident Evil retrospective on Gametrailers when I was struck with the urge to play RE: Code Veronica. So today I dusted off the Gamecube and threw the game in only to realize that I had no idea where I left off. Then I remembered the trusty Official Dreamcast Magazine I have tucked away with a strategy guide in it. When I say tucked away, I really mean buried in a box in my closet. So I took a deep breath and delved into the depths of my closet and, of course, didn't find it. I did find, however, strategy guides for every other game from the PS1/N64 era.

That's at least 80 bucks right there. God I'm lazy.
Ok, I'm exaggerating but holy shit I have a lot of strategy guides. The ones pictured are just the ones I kept out for the purpose of this blog.  I also found guides for GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas,  Final Fantasy 9 & 10, Jedi Outcast, Resident Evil 4, TWO guides for Ocarina of Time and several others that escape me at the moment. The thing that really freaked me out was how much money I'd spent on these things over the years. I figure I've wasted a good $200-300 on these things, but thanks to the internetz, never again

My wallet thanks you GameFAQS.
The last guide I actually paid for was for Oblivion, which I didn't plan on buying until I saw how phonebook-ishly thick it was which kind of made me panic. RPG's were never my strongest genre so whenever I did decide to play one I always ended up buying the guide for it, which is evidenced by the pile of Final Fantasy guides I unearthed in my closet.

So what was the last strategy guide you bought? Did you end up feeling mildly idiotic spending your cash on it? Let me know!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just yesterday I was watching the Resident Evil retrospective on Gametrailers when I was struck with the urge to play RE: Code Veronica. So today I dusted off the Gamecube and threw the game in only to realize that I had no idea where I left off. Then I remembered the trusty Official Dreamcast Magazine I have tucked away with a strategy guide in it. When I say tucked away, I really mean buried in a box in my closet. So I took a deep breath and delved into the depths of my closet and, of course, didn't find it. I did find, however, strategy guides for every other game from the PS1/N64 era.

That's at least 80 bucks right there. God I'm lazy.
Ok, I'm exaggerating but holy shit I have a lot of strategy guides. The ones pictured are just the ones I kept out for the purpose of this blog.  I also found guides for GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas,  Final Fantasy 9 & 10, Jedi Outcast, Resident Evil 4, TWO guides for Ocarina of Time and several others that escape me at the moment. The thing that really freaked me out was how much money I'd spent on these things over the years. I figure I've wasted a good $200-300 on these things, but thanks to the internetz, never again

The last guide I actually paid for was for Oblivion, which I didn't plan on buying until I saw how phonebook-ishly thick it was which kind of made me panic. RPG's were never my strongest genre so whenever I did decide to play one I always ended up buying the guide for it, which is evidenced by the pile of Final Fantasy guides I unearthed in my closet.

So what was the last strategy guide you bought? Did you end up feeling mildly idiotic spending your cash on it? Let me know!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

I got an SSBM strategy guide (pretty good guide overall but of course did not anticipate all the advanced techniques and changes in the metagame) but was bundled with my gamecube/ssbm bundle.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I have never bought a strategy guide in my life... wait, I literally just remembered as I am writing this that I have a Diablo 2 guide in my closet. I don't think I bought it though. I really don't remember. There's a good chance it was my friends originally. Anyways, I always was short on cash before the gamefaqs days so it just really wasn't an option.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 71Ranchero

I dont use them so I havent bought any. SOme of my friends do buy them for EVERY game they get and I would hope that they feel idiotic for it :P

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

You know, I do have some actualy. Like JJ, I got some with games but I doubt I ever used them. one for Starcraft 2(battlechest) and one from a Myst game.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

I bought a strategy guide to Madden NFL 08 for some reason. I threw it away. Who would need a strategy guide now? That's what the internet is for.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hamst3r

I think the last strategy guide I got was for something on the SNES.

We have the internet now. If I get stuck, I go to GameFAQs.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust

I bought a strategy guide for World of Warcraft since it's a big big game and was also my first endeavor into MMOs since Everquest 1.  But, other than that, I don't bother because gamefaqs exists and somewhere on the web, people publish everything a store-bought game guide could offer for free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should probably state that all these guides were bought way before I had a computer. I can't imagine that these guides sell nearly as much as they used to now that everyone in the world owns a computer.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Pie

The last guide i brought was fallout 3 which is extremely detailed and worth the moneyz in my opinion. I still flick through and read my final fantasy 7 guide just for memories sometimes......

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By phlegms

I bought a Fallout 3 guide and it turned out to be pretty useful.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Akeldama
@Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497: Fallout 3's guide was invaluable
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain

I bought the Fallout 3 hardcover guide because it was epicly good looking. I bought some other guides because they feature nice artwork, there are a ton of retro guides I would pay millions of monies (if I had any) for though, like all the Resident Evils, etc just because they look so much fucking better than shitty GameFAQS, and actually offered decent advice on Mercs modes etc.

I have a bunch of varying quality ones, alongside art books, Mass Effect, HL2 (purely for the artwork, who needs a guide for HL2?! Srsly) SFA Anthology, etc etc. The one I regret the most though would be, well two things.

I regret my asshole of a dad ripping most of the spines off them to put them into ringbinders. I mean, sure the ones he did that to were his books but WHAT THE FUCK DUDE?!!?!?!? I managed to save the Parasite Eve II guide from being thrown out, but its had its spine ripped off and been ringbindered :\

And the SFIV guide, that thing is fucking awful even for the artwork, the information in it is flat out wrong, and strategy is for advanced SF players kinda basic info, other than that its a simply moves list. Fucking crap.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By TheHBK

Last one?  I have never bought one except for a pokemon one I bought when i was 12, that was 11 years ago.  The last one I got though was maybe the very same code veronica strategy guide, but I think mine was from gamepro, dont remember.  I did subscribe to that dreamcast mag though.  It really helped on that game.  But after that, never got one, just not worth it, not with the internet out there an all.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Keyser_Soze

All I can say is thankyou ALEX and all the other Gamefaq Kiddies.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo

Bought a Soul Calibur IV guide last year - an obvious waste of $30 since it's a fighting game. Oh well. The only time I'll ever buy another guide is if an RPG comes out I'm interested in. I love getting everything. By the way... give me that FF IX guide!

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Adamantium

Last one I bought was the FFXII guide. No regrets there, since too many online WTs and FAQs leave out much info, necessitating two or three different bookmarks to have all the same info. Plus the artbook is cool. I'll get the FFXIII guide too, but those are the only games I really pay for a guide to.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Nasar7

The last strategy guide I bought was for Shenmue. The game didn't have a huge community at the time (well, it still doesnt really) so it was worth it for all the info on sidequests and hidden events and such. Also it had a lot of Japanese culture info and pretty glossy pictures. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By Suicrat

The only strategy guide I ever acquired (aside from the one that came with Earthbound) was F-Zero GX. And I got that with a Nintendo Power subscription, so I didn't really pay for it.

F-Zero's strategy guide didn't have all the info I wanted though... not enough detailed info on creating your own vehicles...

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By FCKSNAP

Last guide I bought was FF7 for 25 cents about a month ago. I don't even like/own that game.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Emilio

I think the last one I got was a free digest version for Phantom Hourglass. I also got an F-Zero GX guide, which is soooooo awesome because that game is haaaard.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Keyser_Soze said:
"All I can say is thankyou ALEX and all the other Gamefaq Kiddies. "

I like GameFAQS I really do, and other internet guides, but I think the plaintext has damaged my eyes from looking at it so much. They should at least implement something which converts the text files to a nicer looking webpage, even if it's a simple colour change to a light grey on black or something, easier on the eye. Or white on dark grey.

Edit: And does it annoy you as much as it does me when you're looking for info for an older obscure game and there is either none, or worse a poorly written half finished one that stops 30 seconds before where you are stuck lol.