#1 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Is anyone else on the edge of their fucking seat now?

I still remember the day it happened. The Gamespot forums exploded. All these heartfelt posts coming out of GS staff who had no idea what was happening or how to deal with it. People running through the office screaming, mass chaos everywhere.

And then that god damn Hotspot.

This one singular event is why Giantbomb is where it is today, it was a huge moment whose ripples are still being felt today. The journalistic integrity of the gaming industry, paid reviews, developer and press relations, all catalyzed into this one huge black mark on the face of video games.

Today is going to be huge.

It's going be fucking revelatory.

#2 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

You need to be on some sort of medication.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:

Delicious pillsies keep the voices away.
#4 Posted by Linkster7 (1022 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

I'll take some of that medication.

#5 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -

I left GS that day. I don't want to return...

#6 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: WHere can I watch it. The live feed is not working. What the hell is going on?

#7 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I think he needs more than medication.

#8 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Mordukai: It's not until 4PM Pacific.

#9 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

Watch it turn out to be something like Jeff was late too many days in a row and it actually had absolutely nothing to do with the Kane and Lynch review.

#10 Posted by dOm_CaTz (214 posts) -

I can't wait for this, my brain might melt.

#11 Edited by TheGreven (30 posts) -

@Mordukai: They gonna put up the story here at Giantbomb as well as gamespot later today

#12 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

This is a little too much to take in one day. Christ.

I bet it has nothing to do with Kane and Lynch.

#13 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

HOly crap. I just woke up to this? Fuck this. There are going be massive walkouts.

#14 Posted by MethodMan008 (809 posts) -

That hotspot? Link please. :)

#15 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2274 posts) -

@RoboRobb said:

I'm thinking (and kinda hoping) this.

I think it's going to just be that it was the review though and that Jeff probably went off on someone about how it was stupid to take down the review and he refused to make a new one. Then again why would either party agree to join together again if they left on bad terms?

#16 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -
#17 Posted by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

Yeah the one day that my internet is still down at home. Fortunately, a tech will be coming over between 4-6 pm (central time) so that probably means I'll be able to watch the 4pm PST live stream at least.

#18 Posted by Daiphyer (1333 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

That hotspot? Link please. :)

This!

#19 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

Same, and I came to this site to get away from big gaming sites like GS... not sure if i am willing to return to that culture (damn SW, there are enough trolls out there, you don't need to breed more of them)

#20 Posted by Kosikutioner (35 posts) -

@LoveYouSomeEric: If you believe Jeff is going to just come out and lie about it, why do you ever listen to him about anything? The past few years have been GBs staff chance to prove their trustworthiness. Give them a chance to prove it in new circumstances as well. Stop being the Internet, Internet.

#21 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#22 Posted by cikame (991 posts) -

I watched Gamespot become worse and worse over the last few years, there's nothing there for me.
Giant Bomb, a website entirely opposed to metacritic, is now owned by a website which has metacritic embedded up its ass.

#23 Posted by BigStupidFace (214 posts) -

It's a double bluff. GameSpot think they're gonna get their man back. They'll be standing in front of Jeff with a contract. Jeff will look back at his friends at Giantbomb with an "I'm sorry" face before turning back to the contract, holding a pen to paper before saying "Yeah, well sign THIS!" *explosion* Then some other things will happen.

That or... something else I guess.

#24 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

It'll definitely be interesting. I still remember the days of Gamespot's On the Spot, and Jeff helped make that show so amazing. When word went out that he was fired, the internet literally imploded and it was just a crazy transition. The question was, stay with Gamespot or go to Giantbomb? Amazing how these sites are being brought together, whether I think its good or not, it'll be interesting to see happen. Very few people on the site today actually realize what had happened years ago and it's a shame because it's basically the reason for why this site exists.

#25 Posted by TheGreven (30 posts) -

I guess CBS/Gamespot realized that gamespot went downhill when Jeff was fired and now they are crawling back to Jeff

#26 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2274 posts) -

Ugh this isn't for another ~5 fucking hours.

#27 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I'd be fucking hilarious if it turned out it had nothing to do with K&L but with Jeff turning up to work naked and drunk that day.

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -
@TheGreven said:

I guess CBS/Gamespot realized that gamespot went downhill when Jeff was fired and now they are crawling back to Jeff

Err, Jeff is going back to work for the company that fired him for giving a shitty review to an advertised game. I don't think either side comes out of this looking great.

Hey, maybe it'll turn out that it was all just one big misunderstanding(!)
#29 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: I remember the day it happend too. It was insane. I really cant wait for this.

#30 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1632 posts) -

I'm just hoping it gets archived, I'll be at class when the stream goes live...

#31 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Not sure what can be too revelatory about this unless everyone has been completely wrong about it for years.

#32 Posted by TheGreven (30 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

You wont be able to concentrate during class :-)

#33 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Unless I missed something, you'll still going to type www.giantbomb.com on the url bar on your internet browser.

@LordXavierBritish: This doesn't compare to that day. That day was freakin ridiculous. Not knowing what was going on was unbearable. That led to some crazy shit that day (I remember some kind of petition involving going to the street where their office is).

#34 Posted by Bollard (5401 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

It'll be on Twitch at the very least, the breakfast news stream is already available on Twitch. Also hooray for it being at midnight in my time zone!

#35 Posted by iyaoyas615 (81 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

Same with me. I am very curious about this. To be honest though I respect all the guys here and I do not think that this will bring them over to the dark side so to speak.

#36 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2274 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

I'd be fucking hilarious if it turned out it had nothing to do with K&L but with Jeff turning up to work naked and drunk that day.

Id love for it to have nothing to do with K&L, but go back and watch the Dog Days review here.

IIRC he says something to the affect of how he has 'history' with the first Kane and Lynch which to me obviously has to do with the whole fiasco that happened.

#37 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@RoboRobb said:

Show me on the doll where he touched you.

#38 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook: I know, I know ;)

#39 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3131 posts) -

And then CBS.

#40 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2274 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@SomeDeliCook: I know, I know ;)

I still really hope it has NOTHING to do with it.

Kane and Lynch was just a scapegoat

#41 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

I remeber that day like everyone else, but I kinda don't get what this thread is about? Is something supposed to happn today?

#42 Posted by theveej (824 posts) -

if the whole story gets out, and is at nuts as everyone thinks it it; then the whole move to CBS would be worth it for me. Been waiting 5 years to hear the story from Jeff.

#43 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@FilipHolm said:

I remeber that day like everyone else, but I kinda don't get what this thread is about? Is something supposed to happn today?

At 4PM there is going to be a livestream with Jeff explaining what happened.
#44 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

Fuck yes, I've been waiting years for this.  

Remember Brad's clenched fists and crazy stare on that hotspot? I honestly thought he was gonna shout something.  

This should be great. 

#45 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Fuck yes, I've been waiting years for this. Remember Brad's clenched fists and crazy stare on that hotspot? I honestly thought he was gonna shout something. This should be great.

Would love to see this as someone who knew about it when it happened, but didn't watch the Hotspot.

#46 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

so they fired him, now hire him back and people expect a honest conversation about it? I...see. curious world vision some people have

#47 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: Oh Jeez, after all thses years finally an answer? I just read the "Pancakes" article, but there waere no "embedded" video as promised? Does anyone have a link to this "Live announcement" video?

#48 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@FilipHolm said:

@LordXavierBritish: Oh Jeez, after all thses years finally an answer? I just read the "Pancakes" article, but there waere no "embedded" video as promised? Does anyone have a link to this "Live announcement" video?

I assume it will be posted on the front page when it starts.
#49 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@JonathanAshleyMoore said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Fuck yes, I've been waiting years for this. Remember Brad's clenched fists and crazy stare on that hotspot? I honestly thought he was gonna shout something. This should be great.

Would love to see this as someone who knew about it when it happened, but didn't watch the Hotspot.

There was a video on youtube of it, but I can't find it now. Conspiracy! 

EDIT: Might have been On The Spot, not Hotspot, forgot the difference.
#50 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Jeff's gonna reveal what happened when he got fired? Where?