The Right to Make a New Account (Staff/Mods Please Read)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Ket87

Today I tried to make a new Giant Bomb account, one to match my PSN ID and Live GamerTag. Only to discover that apparently that is against the Terms of Use for the site and had the new account banned. After some discussion with a moderator I felt defeated but at least I was able to have my viewpoint heard. Now since we don't have a Site Suggestion forum I'm blogging this and placing it in Off-Topic. To someone at the staff or anyone who has the power to modify the Terms of Use I ask, why are we not allowed to have multiple accounts?

I began doing some research and Giant Bomb in all its awesomeness and having one of the most reasonable ToS agreements ever is the only site I can find that says no you cannot make a new account ever. I've checked IGN, GameTrailers, 1UP, and they say nothing whatsoever forbidding it and GameSpot actually says specifically in their own ToS multiple accounts is allowed because they view multiple accounts as being one profile altogether. GameSpot people, GameSpot. That site has one of the worst terms of service agreements ever. You can virtually get in trouble for anything you post yet they set aside an article in the user agreement saying thats okay.

This isn't a major thing but its kind of ridiculous that we can get away with murder here on Giant Bomb compared to other websites but of major sites we are the only one that prohibits changing your account.  Spamming or harassment those are separate issues, stop individual accounts don't make blanket rules saying everyone is locked into one name forever because X Y and Z could happen.

I'm just trying to change my name because its different than my account names for 360 and PS3 and I am incredibly OCD about that kind of stuff. I could have made the account and not said a word and never got into any problems but I was honest and its a shame to be punished for being honest for something that is okay virtually everywhere else, I wouldn't have imagined something a CNET site would okay would be banned here.

Call it complaining, whining, whatever I don't care. This would have completely been a non-issue and its such an unimportant thing but now how ridiculous this situation is after I started looking around other websites all my focus is on this. Hell I could make a new account right now you wouldn't even know but I'm not I'm fighting this the honest way because that is what I did the first time.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ket87

Today I tried to make a new Giant Bomb account, one to match my PSN ID and Live GamerTag. Only to discover that apparently that is against the Terms of Use for the site and had the new account banned. After some discussion with a moderator I felt defeated but at least I was able to have my viewpoint heard. Now since we don't have a Site Suggestion forum I'm blogging this and placing it in Off-Topic. To someone at the staff or anyone who has the power to modify the Terms of Use I ask, why are we not allowed to have multiple accounts?

I began doing some research and Giant Bomb in all its awesomeness and having one of the most reasonable ToS agreements ever is the only site I can find that says no you cannot make a new account ever. I've checked IGN, GameTrailers, 1UP, and they say nothing whatsoever forbidding it and GameSpot actually says specifically in their own ToS multiple accounts is allowed because they view multiple accounts as being one profile altogether. GameSpot people, GameSpot. That site has one of the worst terms of service agreements ever. You can virtually get in trouble for anything you post yet they set aside an article in the user agreement saying thats okay.

This isn't a major thing but its kind of ridiculous that we can get away with murder here on Giant Bomb compared to other websites but of major sites we are the only one that prohibits changing your account.  Spamming or harassment those are separate issues, stop individual accounts don't make blanket rules saying everyone is locked into one name forever because X Y and Z could happen.

I'm just trying to change my name because its different than my account names for 360 and PS3 and I am incredibly OCD about that kind of stuff. I could have made the account and not said a word and never got into any problems but I was honest and its a shame to be punished for being honest for something that is okay virtually everywhere else, I wouldn't have imagined something a CNET site would okay would be banned here.

Call it complaining, whining, whatever I don't care. This would have completely been a non-issue and its such an unimportant thing but now how ridiculous this situation is after I started looking around other websites all my focus is on this. Hell I could make a new account right now you wouldn't even know but I'm not I'm fighting this the honest way because that is what I did the first time.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ket87

Thats a thread, I mean a full forum.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ieatlions

is this your third post today?

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ket87
@ieatlions said:
" is this your third post today? "
Second but the other was more to a mod than anything. I'm fucking pissed at this situation as ridiculous as it sounds this is stupid that its not allowed.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Suicrat

Spam is not a separate issue. If they didn't specify one account per IP, then spambots would create endless amounts of spam threads in the forums, and maybe even spam in the wiki. If you're so obsessive compulsive about having a single username for everything, why did you give your Giant Bomb account a different name? I don't get it.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By DanielJW
@Ket87: Exactly, a thread where suggestions are made. Hence eliminating the need to clutter up the board with something that should be in the suggestion thread.
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ToadRunner

yea, its kind of weird not to allow. There is no way for you to do this the honest way, and I see where you are coming from. Good luck, Larry!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

No Caption Provided
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By asurastrike

Wait I'm lost on something, how can they tell you created a second account? If it's done by IP doesn't that mean only 1 account could be created per college dorm?

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ieatlions
@Ket87: you need to calm down its the internets.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ket87
@Suicrat said:
" Spam is not a separate issue. If they didn't specify one account per IP, then spambots would create endless amounts of spam threads in the forums, and maybe even spam in the wiki. If you're so obsessive compulsive about having a single username for everything, why did you give your Giant Bomb account a different name? I don't get it. "
Because you can change everything else. I changed my account names on PS3 and 360 because I wanted to stop using this name altogether for everything. I've been using it for years and I'm sick of it.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

It's one account per person, and no name changes are allowed. There have only been two name changes in the history of the site and those were under some pretty extreme circumstances, not simply "I don't like my name anymore."

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Suicrat

I would never change my username personally, but I can see why some would want to (without changing their account), just add to the chorus of people calling for the ability to change your username, and maybe one day, they'll be able to accommodate you. I doubt it though.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Gunner

I dont really see a good reason for you to have a second account or a name change. I understand why your upset but rules are rules and they are there so we dont have one person making 20 different accounts under the names of all the characters in the halo universe.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ket87
@ieatlions said:
" @Ket87: you need to calm down its the internets. "
Typically when I encounter a problem with terms of service I get pissed because ToS agreements are almost always totally unneeded. If I'm not advertising, harassing people, or trying to do something illegal who cares what I do?
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

No Caption Provided
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ieatlions
@Ket87: that is you not calming down/
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

C'est la vie mate.  Rules are there to stop bad things happening as well as for convenience. Their site, their rules. I understand your upset about it but if you don't like it then simply leave. I'm sorry but that's just the way things are.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ket87
@ieatlions said:

" @Ket87: that is you not calming down/ "

That was more a rationale. Besides how can you know for sure I'm not calm? This is all in print, there is no inflection to tell what my tone is lol. Just because I say foul language doesn't mean I'm on the other end of the computer looking like that angry german kid video or something. I just like the word fuck. I can be extremely pissed and calm.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Can you delete the old account and then create a new one? I mean, if your going to use the other one, then use it! I agree this is a bit much, but hey, such is life. They have a good reason. You may not like it, but hey, a lot of people don't like that illicit drugs are illegal. A lot of people don't like rules, that is why they exist, because people don't WANT to do that stuff, but they will if they HAVE to.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake
@MordeaniisChaos: As far as I know I don't think you can delete your account since someone (I think it was GiantSquirrel) asked this earlier this month. He's still around though.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Bruce
@Ket87: 

You're an adult dude; find some better shit to whine about. >_>
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ket87
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" Can you delete the old account and then create a new one? "
In my discussion with a mod I even asked if they can just lock this account and unlock the second account I made. I don't want or need two accounts I just wanted to change the name and thats how I got into this mess. If they could delete this one and let me use my new one like you said I wouldn't care.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ket87
@Bruce said:
" @Ket87:   You're an adult dude; find some better shit to whine about. >_> "
Really at this point I don't care if its whining or not, every other website doesn't care if you make a new account or change your name. And as I said if GameSpot can set aside in their ToS saying multiple accounts are ok because they view an IP address as the user then why can't GB? GameSpot has some of the most ruthless mods who follow their insane ToS to the letter and for once it makes perfect sense. I am just stunned that its such a big issue here at Giant Bomb that fuck it I'm gonna fight it out at this point. Giant Bomb since its a wiki is practically a site for the users by the users so this user wants his due.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Suicrat: 

Wait, you mean they can't ban IPs? I thought that was a universal thing across the Internet or something. But if they don't have that, whatever, Giant Bomb still has a lot of stuff that makes up for it.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bruce
@Ket87: 

Nah, I still stick to my original statement; you're too old to be getting riled up about this. Go get dumped by somebody or lose a job; those are some real young-adult problems worth complaining about.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Suicrat:   Wait, you mean they can't ban IPs? I thought that was a universal thing across the Internet or something. But if they don't have that, whatever, Giant Bomb still has a lot of stuff that makes up for it. "

Of course we can. We just don't do it very often because the usefulness of such a thing is limited.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ket87
@Bruce said:
" @Ket87:   Nah, I still stick to my original statement; you're too old to be getting riled up about this. Go get dumped by somebody or lose a job; those are some real young-adult problems worth complaining about. "
My life is too stable at the moment so this is all I got to bitch about currently, you're stuck with me for now sorry pal.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bruce
@Ket87: 

I wish that was the case. Two weeks ago I'm making out with this wonderful girl in Central Park, now she doesn't return my calls ... and people wonder why I never blog about anything relative. However, I envy the stability one must have for this to be his only serious problem. Touche friend.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King
@MB: 

I don't understand, but I'll just leave it at the obvious: then why are people still complaining about jewgypsy (some user I've never seen) when you should have banned his IP by now (and probably have)?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Suicrat
@Video_Game_King: I never said that.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mike

Eh, I'm going to close this now. The rules are clear and have been explained to you numerous times. Your only hope now is to petition Jeff to make an exception and allow you to change your username. Email gb_community@giantbomb.com or send him a PM. Good luck.