The sadness of losing a pet (death).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By oldschool

I am sitting here in my kitchen, 11pm Sunday night, filled with sadness as my pet rabbit sits in a box next to me dying.

His life long friend died last weekend.  It is a very large rabbit named Lunar (he is black).  It is really depressing, as there is nothing I can do about it, except make him comfortable.  I think he is dying a natural age death.  My partner told me he was dead, so I dug a grave and went to get him out of the hutch, only to find him still alive - barely.

I am going to have to go to bed, knowing that he will likley die during the night.  This is really hard.

We all bond with our pets.  They become family, but their lives are generally shorter than ours.  Condolences to those who lost a pet recently.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oldschool

I am sitting here in my kitchen, 11pm Sunday night, filled with sadness as my pet rabbit sits in a box next to me dying.

His life long friend died last weekend.  It is a very large rabbit named Lunar (he is black).  It is really depressing, as there is nothing I can do about it, except make him comfortable.  I think he is dying a natural age death.  My partner told me he was dead, so I dug a grave and went to get him out of the hutch, only to find him still alive - barely.

I am going to have to go to bed, knowing that he will likley die during the night.  This is really hard.

We all bond with our pets.  They become family, but their lives are generally shorter than ours.  Condolences to those who lost a pet recently.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red
   That should help you with the grief.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool

That was pretty sweet,  Nice kid.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm sorry to hear that Brett, I too know the terrible pain of losing a pet / family member. I was cut up when it happened to me last.

I had these two Peruvian Guinea Pigs called Coco and Channel that died, and it was very painful. Coco was a adorable muddy brown male, while Channel was virginal white female with class.  Sadly, Coco died after eating something toxic in the garden, as a result Chanel went off her food, she was clearly heart broken. I tried everything to cheer her up, I even brought in a younger male, but that didn't work.  I knew then that she would soon follow him.. :(  It was really sad to see her waste away like that.

Awww, sweet kid.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
Linkyshinks said:
"I'm sorry to hear that Brett, I too know the terrible pain of losing a pet / family member. I was cut up when it happened to me last. I had these two Peruvian Guinea Pigs called Coco and Channel that died, and it was very painful. Coco was a adorable muddy brown male, while Channel was virginal white female with class.  Sadly, Coco died after eating something toxic in the garden, as a result Chanel went off her food, she was clearly heart broken. I tried everything to cheer her up, I even brought in a younger male. but that did not work.  I knew then that she would follow him.. :( It was really sad to see her waste away like that."
I think that loneliness thing is a factor here as well.   A mere week apart.  The feeling of being useless to fix it is never an enjoyable experience.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

True, but you can make this passing sweet for all. I would put Bright Eyes on repeat on low volume, and leave her to pass away after letting the kids say goodbye..

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool

Art Garfubkel has a voice that has brought me to shed a tear (in a good way).

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Marzy

Sorry to hear about that, my thoughts are with you.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
Marzy said:
"Sorry to hear about that, my thoughts are with you."
Thanks man, your comments are always appreciated.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I've had to deal with losing pets (a cat and a dog). It's really hard, because you love them like they're a part of your family and you want to be with them forever, but unfortunately, you have to say goodbye one day. The hardest part of having a pet is saying goodbye. Sometimes, I like to believe that they go somewhere after death, like some animal utopia or something, even it isn't true. Just remember that your pet won't die off completely; you'll have plenty of good memories of him/her.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Mushir

I know how it feels. Hope you do alright.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
TheJollyRajah said:
"I've had to deal with losing pets (a cat and a dog). It's really hard, because you love them like they're a part of your family and you want to be with them forever, but unfortunately, you have to say goodbye one day. The hardest part of having a pet is saying goodbye. Sometimes, I like to believe that they go somewhere after death, like some animal utopia or something, even it isn't true. Just remember that your pet won't die off completely; you'll have plenty of good memories of him/her."
Twilight said:
"I know how it feels. Hope you do alright."
I know I will move on, we all do.  It is just so damn hard watching it happen.  I really need to go to bed, but I feel guilty.

Thanks for the thoughts though.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_

My sister had a chinchilla that she didn't have time to pay that much attention to for around a week and a half during some hectic testing periods. One night we found him shaking and barely moving. He was like 3 years old (1/5 of his natural lifespan) and he died of an infection that night. One of the saddest things ever.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

**sniff** my poor hamster

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shazam

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. My Irish wolfhound Raiden died a couple of months back and one of the hardest things I ever had to do was to acknowledge he wasn't going to live and let my vet put him down. He was 10 years old (very old for an Irish wolfhound) and had bone cancer. I had him since I was 8 and that dog was a staple of my childhood. Chasing after him with a coolie hat was the best game ever invented.

My advice would be to bury your pet in your back garden and plant a tree to remember him - it really helped me. It doesn't feel like he is completely gone every time I look out at that tree. My thoughts are with you.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By teh_destroyer

Loosing a pet does suck.I remember when my dad gave me a call about 3 years ago that our small family dog had disappeared into the woods and we never saw her again.I was really heart broke when I received that news so I know how you feel.Take it easy man.

Edit:I read the post above mine before I posted,my little Poodle/Miniature Doxin was 8 years old and weighed about 10 pounds when she left us :(.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wolverine
oldschool said:
"I am sitting here in my kitchen, 11pm Sunday night, filled with sadness as my pet rabbit sits in a box next to me dying.

"
Wow that is sad and depressing. Just remember everything will always get better and life always ends with death. We will all die some day and all that is important is that we make the best of our time alive. Judging by your post it sounds like you are very attached to this rabbit and instead of being depressed try to celebrate the wonder relationship you and Lunar had. Fell Better
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I have had many pets in my years and it is painful losing them. The first time I lost my dog was very sad and painful for me. I still remember my grief to this day. I hope you go through it well and bounce back. It is tough. My thoughts are with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I had just lost a friend in a helicopter crash, he was a great guy and I will miss him dearly and now that my dog is getting old which I had since I was 8 and I`m now 17, she may pass on at any time, but I'll always remember her as a part of my family and never forget how she was a sneaky fat dog at stole my pizza rolls.
Anyways man, I`m sure your rabbit had a good life and will pass on comfortably.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I hate losing loved ones. Pets, friends, anyone. It feels like an end.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

I always listen to something superficial, which reminds me I'm still alive. Sorry for your loss.

ghettobond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By ghettobond

I've lost three pets in my lifetime, the most recent being on August 25, 2008.  The most recent one was the most difficult, because I had that cat, Peanut, for his entire life.  He was the first pet that I had that really felt like a companion.  The others were all great, but they really belong more to my mother.  It's crazy, but I mourned that loss longer than I mourned any other loss in my life, human loss included.  I look back now, and I can only remember the fun times I had with him.

There's just something about a good pet that makes them special.  Once they love you, they're attached to you regardless of how you behave.  It's really bizarre and cool at the same time.  I think that's why losing them can be so difficult.

I feel for you oldschool, and anyone else who has lost anything that has meant something to them.  This will sound cliched, but just try to remember the good times you had with the rabbit.  It's better you had and lost them than if you never had them at all.  You'll bounce back, and you'll eventually remember all the fun times you had with them in a more positive light.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool

Thank you fall all your kind words.  As expected Lunar died overnight.  Burying him wasn't a good way to start the working week.  Life moves on.  Still very sad though.

One of my staff who I told this morning just said to me, "why didn't you clock it?"  Seriously, I just couldn't do that.  I have put wild animals out of their misery after they were hit by other cars and that is humane, but a family pet?  No, I couldn't do that.  His death seemed fairly natural to me.  I doubt that there are many of us who could.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Linkyshinks

That was a little insensitive of him.. Depending on the kind of pet and the problem, it is something I would consider doing as humanely as possible, if the situation called for it. In this case I think you did the right thing.  Anyway, as you say, life goes on, perhaps you can get another pet to fill the void.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RandomHero666

I had a pair of Gerbils ages ago, they were brothers and best mates, after about 5 years one of them died naturally, and the other one degraded, he got very cold to the touch and could barely walk.. like most pensioners.
I decided to grind up a painkiller and feed it to him, he died within the hour in his bed, much better than letting him live maybe up to a week in pain.

RIP Terrence & Philip

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RyanJW

Losing a pet is definitely horrible, and almost puts you off having them — almost.

I was really saddened when our hamster died during late 2007, as he'd only been around eight months before getting some kind of illness that the vet said there wasn't any hope of fixing. He pretty much fell apart over the space of a week, eventually dying while being stroked in the palm of a hand.

One thing that really upset me about that is that we never really got any photos or videos of him, assuming there'd be plenty of time. While I do have some low-quality phone footage of him limping around during his final days, I really wish I'd captured all the times he used to do crazy stuff like hang off the bars, run on the wheel, play around on my hand, run around in his ball, fall onto his back with his legs all in the air, etc.

Since then we've gotten two dwarf hamsters, which are extremely cute and also playful (with each other). I've been getting quite a few photos and videos of them, and I encourage any pet owner to do the same so you can treasure those memories!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool
RandomHero666 said:
"I had a pair of Gerbils ages ago, they were brothers and best mates, after about 5 years one of them died naturally, and the other one degraded, he got very cold to the touch and could barely walk.. like most pensioners.I decided to grind up a painkiller and feed it to him, he died within the hour in his bed, much better than letting him live maybe up to a week in pain.RIP Terrence & Philip"
Haha, pensioners are funny :P

I agree, depending on the circumstance, euthanasing your pet is the right thing to do.  My last 2 cats were given injections when cancer was causing them to suffer.  However, hitting them over the head with a substantial blunt object?  Ummm, no.  I like your idea as it is seems far more humane, if you can get them to take it.