Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
Lament with me brothers, our great father is dead!

Before anything else, i think we can all agree that The Simpsons started sucking a while back, especially when compared to the old episodes. But there are also a lot of people that still love the "new" Simpsons, and that's cool. But I'm one of those that doesn't. So read on, through the ramblings of a mad man.

Yeah, that's right, the show's been decreasing in quality for quite a while now. But as of 30th of October, i regret to announce that the Simpsons have died. As you may or may not know, The Simpsons have a long standing tradition of making a "Halloween" episode every year, which is aptly named Treehouse of Horror. Usually it's a nice reprieve as it allows both the writers, animators and viewers to move away into the supernatural, impossible and weird side of The Simpsons (at least more so). This year however it's been a complete and utter f*** up.

I used to love this chubby, bald bastard. Now all he does is fart.

In the first part of the episode, The Diving Bell and the Butterball Homer gets bitten by a black widow and is left paralyzed, the only way he can communicate? Farting. That's it, that's all. Farting. He continues to communicate through farting for the next few minutes, until he gets bitten by a radioactive spider, still paralyzed though. The next few minutes is a sigh Spiderman parody, finally it ends. This is something i expected from Family Guy, which is ok but there was a time where it was no where near The Simpsons, or should i say there was a time when The Simpsons was way better than Family Guy. I don't want to see Homer fart for 6 f***ing minutes, i mean fart jokes are ok if you're going to kindergarten, but this is one of the longest, most successful franchises in history, a God damn cultural phenomenon. Is this what it comes down to? Fart jokes?

Thankfully the next part is actually a lot better, and i was glad i didn't just stop watching. Dial D for Diddly. And i have to say, this is probably the best work I've seen on The Simpsons for years, i was almost ready to forgive the 6-7 minute farting thing. This part starts off with an intro that is a obvious nod to Dexter (a series i love and have started re-watching recently), as Flanders is getting ready for his day. Good ol' Flanders is tricked by Homer into killing people via microphone hidden in a bible. And frankly, I've imagined Flanders killing people in his basement for years, it makes perfect sense. A person that talks to God, has markings of religious fanaticism spells psychotic serial killer to me. Kind of a head scratcher as to why the writers didn't come up with this earlier. Overall pretty good.

Next, In the Na'Vi, the whole part was an Avatar parody. I don't think i have to say more, do I? But i will. Avatar came out in 2009, my guess, the writers couldn't come up with anything so they decided to put in a completely unfunny parody. What started off as disbelief (The Diving Bell and the Butterball) turned into surprise and enjoyment (Dial D for Diddly) which unfortunately turned into disappointment (In the Na'Vi)

In Conclusion

If you type into google "The Simpsons are" a suggestions pops up that says "The Simpsons are not funny anymore" and "The Simpsons are we there yet.

The Simpsons decline in quality and humor was and is obvious, even as far as several seasons back, but on this October 30th the show reached a new low. I am...was a big fan of the Simpsons, at one time i even collected Simpsons memorabilia but decided it took too much effort (similar to what the Simpson writers decided about little things like plot and good humor). Even my dad who thinks cartoons are for kids praised the Simpsons on numerous occasions.

I remember the time when The Simpsons wasn't just a simple show that made me laugh (and it did make me laugh a lot). But it was touching, emotional, many times did i go aaaaa just like a sit com audience goes when they see something sweet. It also showed great insight into American society, culture and politics. Now? Now it's fart jokes and cheap parodies. The Simpsons used to be a cultural phenomenon, now it's below the quality of Family Guy. The Simpsons are becoming animation's own equivalent of Jason Seltzer & Aaron Friedberg.

I've been waiting for that old spark of geniality that made the Simpsons great. I've been waiting for it just like the Ethiopians have been waiting for rain (ok, that joke is fucked up and i apologize). Twenty three seasons, we had a good, long run, and i can always watch the old, great Simpsons episodes. But when your dog is sick, it's time to put it down. And the Simpsons became sick a long time ago. Then again, who knows, perhaps some new writer will find a cure, and we can all start enjoying The Simpsons again.

TL;DR

I was just expressing my opinions and disappointment about the new Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode. I know that the Simpsons aren't what they used to be, but i didn't expect this.

#1 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
Lament with me brothers, our great father is dead!

Before anything else, i think we can all agree that The Simpsons started sucking a while back, especially when compared to the old episodes. But there are also a lot of people that still love the "new" Simpsons, and that's cool. But I'm one of those that doesn't. So read on, through the ramblings of a mad man.

Yeah, that's right, the show's been decreasing in quality for quite a while now. But as of 30th of October, i regret to announce that the Simpsons have died. As you may or may not know, The Simpsons have a long standing tradition of making a "Halloween" episode every year, which is aptly named Treehouse of Horror. Usually it's a nice reprieve as it allows both the writers, animators and viewers to move away into the supernatural, impossible and weird side of The Simpsons (at least more so). This year however it's been a complete and utter f*** up.

I used to love this chubby, bald bastard. Now all he does is fart.

In the first part of the episode, The Diving Bell and the Butterball Homer gets bitten by a black widow and is left paralyzed, the only way he can communicate? Farting. That's it, that's all. Farting. He continues to communicate through farting for the next few minutes, until he gets bitten by a radioactive spider, still paralyzed though. The next few minutes is a sigh Spiderman parody, finally it ends. This is something i expected from Family Guy, which is ok but there was a time where it was no where near The Simpsons, or should i say there was a time when The Simpsons was way better than Family Guy. I don't want to see Homer fart for 6 f***ing minutes, i mean fart jokes are ok if you're going to kindergarten, but this is one of the longest, most successful franchises in history, a God damn cultural phenomenon. Is this what it comes down to? Fart jokes?

Thankfully the next part is actually a lot better, and i was glad i didn't just stop watching. Dial D for Diddly. And i have to say, this is probably the best work I've seen on The Simpsons for years, i was almost ready to forgive the 6-7 minute farting thing. This part starts off with an intro that is a obvious nod to Dexter (a series i love and have started re-watching recently), as Flanders is getting ready for his day. Good ol' Flanders is tricked by Homer into killing people via microphone hidden in a bible. And frankly, I've imagined Flanders killing people in his basement for years, it makes perfect sense. A person that talks to God, has markings of religious fanaticism spells psychotic serial killer to me. Kind of a head scratcher as to why the writers didn't come up with this earlier. Overall pretty good.

Next, In the Na'Vi, the whole part was an Avatar parody. I don't think i have to say more, do I? But i will. Avatar came out in 2009, my guess, the writers couldn't come up with anything so they decided to put in a completely unfunny parody. What started off as disbelief (The Diving Bell and the Butterball) turned into surprise and enjoyment (Dial D for Diddly) which unfortunately turned into disappointment (In the Na'Vi)

In Conclusion

If you type into google "The Simpsons are" a suggestions pops up that says "The Simpsons are not funny anymore" and "The Simpsons are we there yet.

The Simpsons decline in quality and humor was and is obvious, even as far as several seasons back, but on this October 30th the show reached a new low. I am...was a big fan of the Simpsons, at one time i even collected Simpsons memorabilia but decided it took too much effort (similar to what the Simpson writers decided about little things like plot and good humor). Even my dad who thinks cartoons are for kids praised the Simpsons on numerous occasions.

I remember the time when The Simpsons wasn't just a simple show that made me laugh (and it did make me laugh a lot). But it was touching, emotional, many times did i go aaaaa just like a sit com audience goes when they see something sweet. It also showed great insight into American society, culture and politics. Now? Now it's fart jokes and cheap parodies. The Simpsons used to be a cultural phenomenon, now it's below the quality of Family Guy. The Simpsons are becoming animation's own equivalent of Jason Seltzer & Aaron Friedberg.

I've been waiting for that old spark of geniality that made the Simpsons great. I've been waiting for it just like the Ethiopians have been waiting for rain (ok, that joke is fucked up and i apologize). Twenty three seasons, we had a good, long run, and i can always watch the old, great Simpsons episodes. But when your dog is sick, it's time to put it down. And the Simpsons became sick a long time ago. Then again, who knows, perhaps some new writer will find a cure, and we can all start enjoying The Simpsons again.

TL;DR

I was just expressing my opinions and disappointment about the new Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode. I know that the Simpsons aren't what they used to be, but i didn't expect this.

#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

The first thing that comes up for me when I type "The Simpsons are" in Chrome is "The Simpsons are Black." D:

#3 Posted by Aetheldod (3644 posts) -

I havent seen the Simpsons in a long time so I cant really say something about its quality , but I always disliked that the characters never grew old , thus providing more materials or something along those lines
#4 Edited by Gumby (229 posts) -

@iAmJohn: I get "The Simpsons are catholic"... Why is it so random?

EDIT: Also, typing in "Family Guy is" results in:

"Family Guy is bad"

"Family Guy is annoying"

"Family Guy is not funny"

and "Family guy is Islam"...

#5 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1010 posts) -

I will always still love them, through ups and down and cannot wait for all seasons to be released and the possibility of a 24 hours Simpsons channel. Not the best of Simpsons anymore, but it's still better than any Seth McFarlane shows, the new Jonah Hill show, or Bob's Burgers. I'd say only South Park and Futurama beat it.

#6 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Gumby: The ways of the google search engine are mysterious indeed.

#7 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

@Gumby: I know Google personalizes the autofill to your liking if you're logged in so there's probably a bit of that in play, I'm just not sure what the hell Google thinks I like or am looking up if the first result I'm offered is how the Simpsons are secretly black.

Family Guy is Islam is pretty great, though.

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Gumby: To be fair, Family Guy is pretty Islam. ; )

#9 Posted by BonOrbitz (2217 posts) -

IMO The Simpsons have been tired, cliched, boring, and lacking creativity and cleverness for a long time now. Family Guy is getting stale, but at least that show still makes me laugh out loud. I'll take anything McFarlane dishes out, along with South Park, Futurama, and Bob's Burgers, any time over present-day Simpsons. Also, I love Regular Show and Adventure Time!

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Well, to be fair, Fox is canceling The Simpsons later next year, so it's pretty much dead to everybody, or at least it's dying.

#11 Posted by Nightriff (5164 posts) -

For me the Simpsons have been in an iron lung since 10th/11th season, with few funny episodes i'll catch every now and again (but since I don't watch much TV anymore except for a few things I haven't seen a new Simpsons episode in a couple years). The movie was surprisingly funny but that's it, that is where the Simpsons stop for me. I personally go back and re watch episodes season 5 (my favorite seasons and episodes) and just go "God, they were so funny and clever back then where now I just find it...not clever or funny anymore." South Park is kinda going down this road for me too and Family guy (to me) hasn't been funny since they brought it back in...05 was it? Maybe I just grew up, maybe the quality of these shows HAS degraded, but either way I just don't care for them anymore, I would rather re watch episodes of Arrested Development than anything on Animation Domination Sundays.

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6574 posts) -

How did you survive the post-movie season? Compared to that trainwreck, a few minutes of farting Homer sounds like bliss, haha.

I honestly think they're slowly getting back to form. Not golden age quality, but not "EVERYTHING IS HOMER ALSO GUEST VOICES ALWAYS" bad by far. I was a little worried by the Chalmers-centric episode, though. If they're focusing on characters that are only there to pronounce words that end in "-inner" in a funny way, they are scraping far beneath the barrel.

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

The Simpsons has been dead since the episode with those magical elf jockeys.

It's when the series stopped trying to be at all serious and resorted to completely random, unrealistic, Family Guy style antics.

#14 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Hey man, welcome to 1999.

#15 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@MysteriousBob: Hey...man...welcome to...shut the fuck up! :D

#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Anything after season 8 is generally not worth bothering with. You lasted longer than I did. I stopped watching after Homer just started randomly accusing some Muslims of being terrorists like an asshole.

#17 Posted by TwoLines (2821 posts) -

Eh, some of the most recent episodes aren't that bad.

The Treehouse epsiode... well, the farting Homer thing was abysmal. I'm not saying I'm super classy and don't/can't enjoy fart jokes. No. This was just so painful to watch. The writing was so bad. Horribly, soul crushingly bad.

So yeah, I am not going to say that was okay by any standards. But the Flanders as Dexter part was pretty cool, and as I said, some of the episodes here and there are pretty decent.

#18 Posted by BonOrbitz (2217 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

@TheDudeOfGaming: Anything after season 8 is generally not worth bothering with. You lasted longer than I did. I stopped watching after Homer just started randomly accusing some Muslims of being terrorists like an asshole.

I didn't know the Fox News channel was playing The Simpsons also.

#19 Posted by Herocide (442 posts) -

It also showed great insight into American society, culture and politics. Now? Now it's fart jokes and cheap parodies. 

I think that shows great insight into current American culture and politics.
#20 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

I've never found the simpsons very funny, I actually don't like any of the "adult" cartoon comedies besides like, the first couple seasons of Futurama.

#21 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

When I put: "the simpsons are"

I get: going to Delaware, ending

Which brings me to, the Simpsons are going to end in like two years. Yes they hammered out a new deal so the Simpsons are going to continue this season, but even Fox sees that its a dieing franchise.