• 62 results
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

It should be obvious to any casual observer in America that Soccer just isn't quite the same here as it is in other countries in Europe, Asia, South America, and Africa. It is openly mocked by comedians and politicians, and certainly has gotten very little respect in the states since the North American Soccer League collapsed some 20 years ago.

However, It looks like Soccer may have achieved a foothold in the Northwest corner of our country. The Seattle Sounders, in a state with the highest number of soccer players in the country per capita, opened up their inaguaral season with a win over last years MLS cup runner-ups, the New York Red Bulls, in front of a standing sellout crowd of 32,000. Anyone who saw the footage on ESPN2 saw a stadium that shook after the first goal, and quaked after the second and third. Later in the day, Portland,Oregon was announced as an upcoming expansion team that would join Seattle and Vancouver B.C. to the north in 2011, instantly rekindling a fantastic geographical rivalry for the three teams that started back in the NASLeague. (of course, Portland will always suck, but Vancouver and Seattle will have a lot of fun i'm sure.)

So, is Soccer on its way up? Will this trio of teams in the Northwest create a foothold for the sport in the rest of the country? Who else saw that awesome Sounders game? How about Freddy Montero?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Even if you get "soccer" popular in America, the rest of the world will never take your "soccer" seriously until you call it by its proper name.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

I'd like soccer to start being popular here, but I just don't think it'll happen,  Football and baseball are too commanding of presences in this country, each for different reasons, and I think they, and the other sports, are going to make it so that soccer will stay as it is - marginalized until the World Cup, and then we get to watch our team get obliterated.  But hey, it'll probably be more popular and televised than hockey!

I want hockey to make a comeback. :(
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ
MattyFTM said:
"Even if you get "soccer" popular in America, the rest of the world will never take your "soccer" seriously until you call it by its proper name."
Unfortunately that will never happen. We don't even use the metric system, and we drive on the wrong side of the road. The closest we will get is to continue to name our teams "________ FC" (for the uninformed, FC means Football Club)
iAmJohn said:
"I'd like soccer to start being popular here, but I just don't think it'll happen,  Football and baseball are too commanding of presences in this country, each for different reasons, and I think they, and the other sports, are going to make it so that soccer will stay as it is - marginalized until the World Cup, and then we get to watch our team get obliterated.  But hey, it'll probably be more popular and televised than hockey!

I want hockey to make a comeback. :(
"
Only if they bring back the Seattle Metropolitans, the very first American team to ever win the Stanley cup.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By super_machine

I think the real issue is the money North American sports pull in through televised advertising. Basket ball, hockey, American football, baseball...etc are all commercial friendly sports. Soccer with its non stop action is not a commercial break friendly sport and thus doesn't get the kind of sponsorship money and air time it needs to become a major sport in the US.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By maxszy

Being from Seattle, and being at that opening game and part of the sell-out crowd, I would say that at least in this city, I think soccer will really get a foothold. I am not sure how many at that game were first time soccer followers than not... but I think we can see that with the success of the season opener, more people will be jumping on the bandwagon here.

As for the opening game, it was electrifying. Quest Field (where the our NFL team the Seahawks play and now where our Sounders FC play) is known for getting really loud and shaking as it did. But what makes me so happy about it, is that we made the stadium do that cheering our brand new Soccer team instead of our Seahawks.

I think it was a good day for Seattle soccer, and probably the Northwest soccer because of the Portland and Vancouver teams coming in the next two years. Hopefully, and I do really hope, that the success here can at least somewhat translate to success for Soccer across America. It really is the world's sport after all.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daz0608

Also it doesn't help that America are rubbish at football, the only sports that are really popular in America are Am. Football, Basketball and Baseball all sports created by Americans and that Americans are best at (mainly because they are the only major country that take these sport seriously)

It would be great to see football rise in popularity in America, but I can't see it happening soon
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Osaladin

I watch MLS sometimes, but honestly, it doesn't intrigue me at all, specially when I can watch Juventus, AC Milan, Manchester United, Liverpool, Aresenal, so on and so forth. MLS just doesn't do it for me, it looks like I'm watching college soccer, and why should I watch that when I can go out and play it? The only way soccer in America will get popular is if MLS really brings it to the table.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
AgentJ said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Even if you get "soccer" popular in America, the rest of the world will never take your "soccer" seriously until you call it by its proper name."
Unfortunately that will never happen. We don't even use the metric system, and we drive on the wrong side of the road. The closest we will get is to continue to name our teams "________ FC" (for the uninformed, FC means Football Club)
"
Yeah, I don't mind soccer being the most commonly used colloquialism of football in the US, but would it really be too much to ask to have all the official names say football, to recognize that football is it's actual, internationally recognized name? Or even calling it Association Football to differentiate from American Football. Like renaming the MLS to MLAF (Major League Association Football). People could still call it soccer, but it'd be nice to see them recognize it's proper name on official names and things.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic. I dunno.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

See I'm glad USA doesn't take football seriously, because you see those miserable faces on my beloved England team (^^), given USA's pool for resources, pool of talent, and general passion for sport, those England players faces could end up being "soured" by yet ANOTHER team. Thankfully USA doesn't like football, and this gives my lovely England slight hope of regaining the glory of 1966. Or probably not actually, we're wank at the moment.

EDIT: Hope this post made some sense.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
Osaladin said:
"I watch MLS sometimes, but honestly, it doesn't intrigue me at all, specially when I can watch Juventus, AC Milan, Manchester United, Liverpool, Aresenal, so on and so forth. MLS just doesn't do it for me, it looks like I'm watching college soccer, and why should I watch that when I can go out and play it? The only way soccer in America will get popular is if MLS really brings it to the table."
Apparantly you didn't see Freddy Montero tearing up the field. That kid is dynamite, and if he somehow stays in Seattle instead of moving on to Europe, he could be the thing that MLS needs to attract higher level players.
MattyFTM said:
"AgentJ said:
"MattyFTM said:
"
Yeah, I don't mind soccer being the most commonly used colloquialism of football in the US, but would it really be too much to ask to have all the official names say football, to recognize that football is it's actual, internationally recognized name? Or even calling it Association Football to differentiate from American Football. Like renaming the MLS to MLAF (Major League Association Football). People could still call it soccer, but it'd be nice to see them recognize it's proper name on official names and things. Maybe I'm just being pedantic. I dunno."
We could rename it to MILF. Major International League of Football. What? Whats wrong with MILF?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Endogene
AgentJ said:
 and we drive on the wrong side of the road. 
Wait what? People drive on the left in the US?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
super_machine said:
"I think the real issue is the money North American sports pull in through televised advertising. Basket ball, hockey, American football, baseball...etc are all commercial friendly sports. Soccer with its non stop action is not a commercial break friendly sport and thus doesn't get the kind of sponsorship money and air time it needs to become a major sport in the US."
This.  Other sports have an established presence in America.  They have fans putting out billions of dollars.  Soccer/Futbol doesn't.  It'll need many years to build up a presence if it ever wants to be 'big in America'.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
AgentJ said:
"MattyFTM said:
"AgentJ said:
"MattyFTM said:
"
Yeah, I don't mind soccer being the most commonly used colloquialism of football in the US, but would it really be too much to ask to have all the official names say football, to recognize that football is it's actual, internationally recognized name? Or even calling it Association Football to differentiate from American Football. Like renaming the MLS to MLAF (Major League Association Football). People could still call it soccer, but it'd be nice to see them recognize it's proper name on official names and things. Maybe I'm just being pedantic. I dunno."
We could rename it to MILF. Major International League of Football. What? Whats wrong with MILF?"
The only problem with MILF is that it could lead to confusion with people thinking it's an international competition. If it wasn't for that there would be absolutely nothing wrong with MILF...
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
Diamond said:
"super_machine said:
"I think the real issue is the money North American sports pull in through televised advertising. Basket ball, hockey, American football, baseball...etc are all commercial friendly sports. Soccer with its non stop action is not a commercial break friendly sport and thus doesn't get the kind of sponsorship money and air time it needs to become a major sport in the US."
This.  Other sports have an established presence in America.  They have fans putting out billions of dollars.  Soccer/Futbol doesn't.  It'll need many years to build up a presence if it ever wants to be 'big in America'."
I'm assuming that you reaad the original post. While it certainly won't happen overnight, I think the success of the Seattle team proves that Soccer can be viable. Toronto has a similarly strong fanbase, though they didn't sell 22,000 season tickets. The presence of players like Montero and Ljundberg are the kind of things that MLS needs in order to be big. It needs Icons and rivalries, and both of those things seem to be taking shape. It will take time, but it may come sooner than you think.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond
AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"super_machine said:
This.  Other sports have an established presence in America.  They have fans putting out billions of dollars.  Soccer/Futbol doesn't.  It'll need many years to build up a presence if it ever wants to be 'big in America'."
I'm assuming that you reaad the original post. While it certainly won't happen overnight, I think the success of the Seattle team proves that Soccer can be viable. Toronto has a similarly strong fanbase, though they didn't sell 22,000 season tickets. The presence of players like Montero and Ljundberg are the kind of things that MLS needs in order to be big. It needs Icons and rivalries, and both of those things seem to be taking shape. It will take time, but it may come sooner than you think.
"
I don't think opening night for a brand new team in a single stadium really proves much.  I saw the videos on Inside Xbox and it looked like people were really getting into it, but I think we have to look a few years down the road in cases like this.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Hairydutchman

"It is openly mocked by comedians and politicians"

What's there to mock?
Football is awesome.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentJ
Diamond said:
"AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"super_machine said:
"
I don't think opening night for a brand new team in a single stadium really proves much.  I saw the videos on Inside Xbox and it looked like people were really getting into it, but I think we have to look a few years down the road in cases like this."
Like I said, 22,000 season tickets and the next few games are either sold out or nearly sold out, so things are going to essentially be the same in the XBOX pitch at Qwest Field. It may be a while before the rest of the country gets into soccer, but it looks like the NW is already sold.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By super_machine
AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"super_machine said:
"
I don't think opening night for a brand new team in a single stadium really proves much.  I saw the videos on Inside Xbox and it looked like people were really getting into it, but I think we have to look a few years down the road in cases like this."
Like I said, 22,000 season tickets and the next few games are either sold out or nearly sold out, so things are going to essentially be the same in the XBOX pitch at Qwest Field. It may be a while before the rest of the country gets into soccer, but it looks like the NW is already sold.
"
As a spectator sport I think soccer could do well. But for it to really make it in the US it needs to be a sponsor friendly as possible. As it stands I dont think soccer is as commercially accessable as established US sports. The format of the game does not lend itself to commercial breaks like Baseball or American football does. Its sad to say, but the success or failure of professional sports in the main stream of America depends on the commercial revinue that pays for it.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
super_machine said:
"AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"super_machine said:
"
"
As a spectator sport I think soccer could do well. But for it to really make it in the US it needs to be a sponsor friendly as possible. As it stands I dont think soccer is as commercially accessable as established US sports. The format of the game does not lend itself to commercial breaks like Baseball or American football does. Its sad to say, but the success or failure of professional sports in the main stream of America depends on the commercial revinue that pays for it. "
You know, it seems like there is a really obvious way to put commercials on during the game. Just have a ticker bar on the bottom of the screen! Individually they wont pull in much money since they are small and short, but If each one is up for 5-10 seconds and you are doing a 90 minute match, It seems like you could so some decent revenue. Its not much different from the video boards that line the sides of the Pitch.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By super_machine

Yes, ajentJ thats actually a good idea. But you see my point. I really think that is one reason why soccer doesnt get the kind of big network, primetime coverage others sports get.

Finch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Finch
super_machine said:
Am I the only one here that has a real problem with this? Doesn't it sicken you to your stomach to know that advertising and revenue are what's stopping "soccer" from becoming popular in America? It's not a television programme, it's a sport. You might think I'm being naive but for soccer's "non-stop action" to be a hinderance on its success in America as a sport seems plainly ridiculous. I guess that's just how sport works in America though.

Do you really think if, say they changed the MLS to have 4 quarters (ugh) instead of two halves it would make a difference? That's terrible!
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alexander

It would be nice to see the US take the world's number one sport seriously.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
Finch said:
"super_machine said:
Am I the only one here that has a real problem with this? Doesn't it sicken you to your stomach to know that advertising and revenue are what's stopping "soccer" from becoming popular in America? It's not a television programme, it's a sport. You might think I'm being naive but for soccer's "non-stop action" to be a hinderance on its success in America as a sport seems plainly ridiculous. I guess that's just how sport works in America though. Do you really think if, say they changed the MLS to have 4 quarters (ugh) instead of two halves it would make a difference? That's terrible!"
Even splitting it into 4 quarters wouldn't do it. They would have to take at least a minute during every out-of-bounds and probably every shot on goal, not to mention player substitutions. You aren't the only one, but unfortunately that is how television works in America. Id be shocked if they didn't get the majority of their revenue from advertisements, which is why they air games on tv in the first place.
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#25  Edited By Valkyr

Stop calling Football Soccer and stop calling US America, America is the damned continent and football is named football not that funny stupid word that who knows who invented it. And by the way, why US football is called football if you use your HANDS?.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
Valkyr said:
"Stop calling Football Soccer and stop calling US America, America is the damned continent and football is named football not that funny stupid word that who knows who invented it. And by the way, why US football is called football if you use your HANDS?."
Yikes man, Im only doing it to keep us all straight on the topic, since UNITED STATESIANS would be confused if i called the thread "The state of Football in America". I agree that American Football (as it is called outside of the US) should not be called Football since the only time they use their feet is during Kickoffs and Field Goals, but that is something that won't change anytime soon. Really though, whats wrong with the word Soccer? Seems like a fun word to me.
Finch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Finch
Valkyr said:
"Stop calling Football Soccer and stop calling US America, America is the damned continent and football is named football not that funny stupid word that who knows who invented it. And by the way, why US football is called football if you use your HANDS?."

America is in fact two continents, comprised of North and South America. American Football is called "Football" because the ball is the same shape as a rugby ball (roughly) which used to be called football, before it was called Rugby Union Football or whatever it is now. Some (maybe all) rugby teams have the suffix RUFC (Rugby Union Football Club), so in the same respect they use there "HANDS" too, yet the game was called football for years.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

The state of soccer, IMO, is right where it needs to be:  non-existant.

Golf, however, needs more recognition.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By get2sammyb
jakob187 said:
"The state of soccer, IMO, is right where it needs to be:  non-existant.

"
Good grief.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mushir
jakob187 said:

"
Golf is one of those sports that is probably fun to play, but watching it is torture.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
get2sammyb said:
"jakob187 said:

"
Good grief."
This. Golf will never be more popular than it is right now, thanks to Tiger. Talk about a sport that allows for a lot of commercial breaks.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eclipsesis

Do you know everytime someone says soccer we english people die a little inside lol

Chelsea FTW

Frank lampard FTW

Shunsuke nakamura FTW

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Fosssil
Osaladin said:
"I watch MLS sometimes, but honestly, it doesn't intrigue me at all, specially when I can watch Juventus, AC Milan, Manchester United, Liverpool, Aresenal, so on and so forth. MLS just doesn't do it for me, it looks like I'm watching college soccer, and why should I watch that when I can go out and play it? The only way soccer in America will get popular is if MLS really brings it to the table."
This about sums up my feelings as well. I actually have begun to really enjoy watching televised soccer over the past year or so, but only if it's something like the Champions League (I think?) or the World Cup. The MLS doesn't interest me, not only because I'm conscious of the fact that what I'm watching isn't the most elite level of competition possible, but also because the league lacks much of an identity or history. As long as the best players are in Europe, and the MLS matches don't hold any real weight or significance, then I'm probably not tuning in.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoelTGM

I live in Canada and though I don't follow sports at all and have no idea what kind of canadian teams there are, I think soccer is pretty popular here, at least among young people.  When I was a kid I played soccer for 5 years.  It's probably the most popular sport for a child to participate in by far, as you don't need a lot of equipment, and it can be played anywhere.  I'd rather watch a soccer game over american football, but I'd rather watch hockey over any sport... no other sport has that same excitement, and you can't get as close to the live action in any other sport when you're right down there with the players only separated by some boards and plexiglass.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive
MattyFTM said:
aint gonna happen.

anyways, i love soccer and football. but there is no way in hell soccer or any other sport will ever become more popular in america than football. and i believe that one day football will spread and it will be a huge international sport rivaling baseball and basketball. many years from now though, the chinese need to bulk up a bit, Yao Ming is promising though. its just once people learn more and more about football, you realize it is probably the most diverse sport in terms of positions and duties of players on the field, and its probably the most strategic. like i said i love soccer too as well as hockey baseball and basketball, and i know how incredibly strategic all of these sports are, but i just don't think any of them can match the level of strategy involved in football. that is why every season more and more new amazing things happen that have never been seen before, and i'm not talking about some fancy move or trick play (although football gets more than handful of that stuff too). i just think all this debate is about is fear that you're beloved sport no matter what it may be (in this case soccer) isn't going to get as much praise as you think it should everywhere and that maybe one day something esle might come along.
or who knows, maybe im completely wrong and perhaps the complexity of football that i touched on before is reason to believe that it could only exist in a country like the US, and there are very interesting books that have been written about why and how football is so incredibly popular in the US and why its probably only in the US it works that way. it has a lot to do with the structure of US society, government and culture, and the more you learn about football the more you draw the connections.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
TwoOneFive said:
"the chinese need to bulk up a bit, Yao Ming is promising though. "
I think the Chinese could take on the US at American Football with a bit of training. There will be tonnes of big bulky Chinese somewhere. There are so many Chinese people there is going to be plenty of bulky dudes somewhere. I mean, you know the stereotypical short Chinese stereotype? Its fairly true for the most part. But have you seen the Chinese basketball team? They're huge tall dudes. There are just so many Chinese people, that eventually you find some freakishly tall people. I'm sure it'll be the same for freakishly bulky people too.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TwoOneFive
DOUBLESHOCK said:
 I'd rather watch a soccer game over american football, but I'd rather watch hockey over any sport... no other sport has that same excitement, and you can't get as close to the live action in any other sport when you're right down there with the players only separated by some boards and plexiglass."
i agree to some extent. if its my flyers than hell yeah. but i still like a great football game a bit more, but hell yeah hockey is the most exciting and intense especially live front row....but i have had courtside seats a sixers game once and uh, thats bit closer than front row hockey seat man, at one point a player fell down at my feet dude.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive
MattyFTM said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"the chinese need to bulk up a bit, Yao Ming is promising though. "
I think the Chinese could take on the US at American Football with a bit of training. There will be tonnes of big bulky Chinese somewhere. There are so many Chinese people there is going to be plenty of bulky dudes somewhere. I mean, you know the stereotypical short Chinese stereotype? Its fairly true for the most part. But have you seen the Chinese basketball team? They're huge tall dudes. There are just so many Chinese people, that eventually you find some freakishly tall people. I'm sure it'll be the same for freakishly bulky people too."
lol true, but those guys totally freak me out, chinese people should be average height, quick, and nimble. ninja style.
jk
but yeah i'm sure you could round up some guys to play football, but no fucking way against any randomized collection of professional football players. each position takes years to get any good at.
Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sushbag
AgentJ said:
"and we drive on the wrong side of the road."
What the fuck are you talking about you douchebag. The majority of the civilized world drives on the right.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AgentJ
Sushbag said:
"AgentJ said:
"and we drive on the wrong side of the road."
What the fuck are you talking about you douchebag. The majority of the civilized world drives on the right."
It was a joke sir. Whats with the "fucks" and the "douchebags"? Apparantly the world isnt really all that civilized.

Though now that i think about it, the UK, Norway, Peru, and Japan all drive on the left. Could it really be a coincidence?
destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By destro

FOOTBALL is awesome. I always love when the FIFA world cup/Euro cup and ect come around. Its the most intense and exciting sport to watch IMO. Its not popular in North America as much because North America has "American Football". Plus you all need to start calling it by its proper and original name. FOOTBALL. Which makes perfect sense because you kick a ball with your foot............... "American Football" should be named...hand ball or something.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgentJ

You are right Destro, but its not going to change anytime soon.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By auspiciousqueue

It does irk me that we call it something different in the US. I don't know if it will ever be as popular, but I do notice, as mentioned above, that a lot of children play it. 'Soccer' is actually pretty fun to watch. But I know I would rather watch hockey above all else.

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Shadow2K6
Daz0608 said:
"Also it doesn't help that America are rubbish at football, the only sports that are really popular in America are Am. Football, Basketball and Baseball all sports created by Americans and that Americans are best at (mainly because they are the only major country that take these sport seriously)

It would be great to see football rise in popularity in America, but I can't see it happening soon
"

Wow. 

Basketball is Canadian, American Football takes influences from Rugby from the UK, and baseball is popular in a lot of countries especially Japan. 

Also Action Sports (Skateboarding, BMX, and Snowboarding) > Soccer/Football (whatever you want to call it).
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By maxszy
Twilight said:
"jakob187 said:

"
Golf is one of those sports that is probably fun to play, but watching it is torture.
"
For the most part yes. But watching the tension rise and finally seeing Tiger sink a 30 foot put on an extra hole to win a championship... there's not too much more nail biting than that.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Red

I lived in Europe for 4 years, where the only thing anyone could talk about was soccer. It annoyed the crap outta me. Every day it was like "OI! CHURCHILL! MANCHESTER U BEAT LIVERPOOL BECAUSE LIVERPOOL SUCKS!". Just shut up. It's a friggin' game. At least in the states, they have more than one sport, and at least football is mildly amusing to have on in the background of a party, but getting so excited over soccer is like being amazed at how grass grows.

Soccer will never be popular in the states, and it will always be way too popular everywhere else.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vidiot

As a Washington resident I was absolutely floored by the response from the recent success of the Sounders.  Very excited to see where this goes, personally for me, it's about time soccer became popular somewhere in this country, I can easily see Seattle being a lightning rod for getting people interested.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BrickRoad

Left or right, it doesn't matter. Neither is more dangerous, and cars from both 'versions' are set up for the driver to drive on that side of the road. It's just the UK etc drive clockwise, that is to say the oncoming traffic is heading on your right, and the US etc drive anticlockwise, that is to say the oncoming traffic is on their left.

Anyway, Soccer I've heard comes from the English term Association Football. And just like the posh Englishmen would've said Rugers for Rugby, and Badders for Badminton, I guess Assers was a little too bizarre, so they called it Soccer. They other explaination I've heard is down to the type of sock worn during football, but that sounds... well they both sound strange actually.

And can people stop calling Americans terrible at football, because those who watched the World Cup know there's some pretty good footballers over there.

The state of Cricket in America on the other hand...

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DavidPalmer
Twilight said:
"jakob187 said:

"
"
I actually disagree, but I'm aware that many would probably think so.

I think the game is too boring for many American fans to get into. I think it still has a really passionate and strong cult following though.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hairydutchman
BrickRoad said:
"Left or right, it doesn't matter. Neither is more dangerous, and cars from both 'versions' are set up for the driver to drive on that side of the road. It's just the UK etc drive clockwise, that is to say the oncoming traffic is heading on your right, and the US etc drive anticlockwise, that is to say the oncoming traffic is on their left.

Anyway, Soccer I've heard comes from the English term Association Football. And just like the posh Englishmen would've said Rugers for Rugby, and Badders for Badminton, I guess Assers was a little too bizarre, so they called it Soccer. They other explaination I've heard is down to the type of sock worn during football, but that sounds... well they both sound strange actually.And can people stop calling Americans terrible at football, because those who watched the World Cup know there's some pretty good footballers over there.The state of Cricket in America on the other hand..."
Well as a team the USA was pretty good, but there not a lot of great individual players.

Brad Friedel is still one of the best goalkeepers in the premier league though. And Michael Bradly seemed to be a good talent when he played in Holland.