Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Wolverine
MattyFTM said:
"Even if you get "soccer" popular in America, the rest of the world will never take your "soccer" seriously until you call it by its proper name."
I kind of agree. Why don't we just call soccer football. It makes much more sense because in soccer you use your feet to play while in American football you hardly ever. We should just call American football soccer.
randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By randiolo
super_machine said:
"I think the real issue is the money North American sports pull in through televised advertising. Basket ball, hockey, American football, baseball...etc are all commercial friendly sports. Soccer with its non stop action is not a commercial break friendly sport and thus doesn't get the kind of sponsorship money and air time it needs to become a major sport in the US."
I think youv hit the nail on the head here on why the MLS is struggling atm. Sports like basketball , NFL , baseball and evan NASCAR are more popular because thier are plenty of breaks and oppatunitys to cut to a commercial or shove advertising in every nook and crany. Which is a shame becasue i think the US can bring alot to the table of world football. I too saw that Seatle game and that is a great indication that football can thrive in the US if you can abolish the ethnic stigma assosiated with football, aswel as the proper funding and marketing  which was a large problem here in Aus. I think if more people sat down and watched a proper game of football then i think people wouldnt be so cynical about it.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By grilledcheez
Twilight said:
"jakob187 said:
"The state of soccer, IMO, is right where it needs to be:  non-existant.

Golf, however, needs more recognition.
"
Golf is one of those sports that is probably fun to play, but watching it is torture.
"
It's addictive to play and hard to watch unless a select few golfers are playing.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By grilledcheez
destro said:
""American Football" should be named...hand ball or something. "
Handball (also known as team handball, European handball, or Olympic handball) is a team sport in which two teams of seven players each (six players and a goalkeeper) pass and bounce a ball to throw it into the goal of the opposing team. The team with the most goals after two periods of 30 minutes wins.
randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By randiolo
GrilledCheez01 said:
"destro said:
""American Football" should be named...hand ball or something. "
Handball (also known as team handball, European handball, or Olympic handball) is a team sport in which two teams of seven players each (six players and a goalkeeper) pass and bounce a ball to throw it into the goal of the opposing team. The team with the most goals after two periods of 30 minutes wins."
i like steroid ball.. 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#56  Edited By AgentJ

While in an ideal world the two would switch names, its not likely to happen. Football is way too big in America for anyone to agree with such a change.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Wolverine
AgentJ said:
"While in an ideal world the two would switch names, its not likely to happen. Football is way too big in America for anyone to agree with such a change."
I agree it will never happen but it should happen.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I prefer tennis, frisbee golf, etc.     Much funner than team sports.

I don't really watch sports, I think it's retarded.  I do however play pick up sports, the fun shit.  Do play for a baseball team, but I do that just to please others.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#59  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"I prefer tennis, frisbee golf, etc.     Much funner than team sports. "
... WTF Smug Loser? This thread has been dead for 3 weeks.
Besides, when you have other people to play with, team sports are awesome. God I miss baseball and football...
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Shadow2K6 said:
"Daz0608 said:
"Also it doesn't help that America are rubbish at football, the only sports that are really popular in America are Am. Football, Basketball and Baseball all sports created by Americans and that Americans are best at (mainly because they are the only major country that take these sport seriously)

It would be great to see football rise in popularity in America, but I can't see it happening soon
"
Wow.  Basketball is Canadian, American Football takes influences from Rugby from the UK, and baseball is popular in a lot of countries especially Japan.  Also Action Sports (Skateboarding, BMX, and Snowboarding) > Soccer/Football (whatever you want to call it)."
Nope, basketball is american.
Basketball was founded in the YMCA in Springfield, MA in 1900ish.  The guy who made it though is a canadian though.  He just lived in MA.
Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Maru

Football (soccer) is one of the most beautiful and dramatic sport in the world.  I have no idea why people here don't enjoy watching it, all they care about is hockey (Canada).   

Sometimes it get ridiculous watching players diving and acting like bunch of girls, but no sport is perfect.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Baseball > Football (American) > Water polo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soccer