The Three Stooges vs The Marx Brothers, who was better?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

Marx Brothers.  Their comedy could be both witty and slapstick, while the Stooges were more of a one joke trio.  They were masters of that one joke, but still there wasn't much depth to their routines.  The Marx Brothers however could do the sight gags and pratfalls of  vaudeville, but also conversational interplay, verbal sparing if you will, that was satirical and smart.  Groucho and Chico played off against each other in a different way than Chico and Harpo or Harpo and Groucho.  There was a balance between the three and Margret Dumont, the actress who often found herself the object of Groucho's hijinks.  I don't dislike the Stooges but I always placed them beneath the Marx Brother, Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello as far as noted comedy teams of the 30's and 40's go.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

I would say Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Abbot  and Costello and Finally the Marx Brothers. This rates from the most simplistic to most sophisticated and urbane. The Stooges are an example of basic slapstick humor rooted in vaudeville, whereas the Marx brothers pioneered a more adult and mature form of baroque comedy that was not particularly well-received or understood at the time. Their material was, more often than not, over the heads of their audiences. It was best enjoyed by more intellectually oriented patrons, then and now.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

The Marx Brothers were better, but The Three Stooges were funnier. If that even makes sense.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

The Marx Brothers. Their comedy is timeless and never ages, I haven't found The Three Stooges funny since I was 6 or so.  

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Kyreo

@rebgav said:

Marx Brothers. I don't think it's even close.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Kyreo

@rebgav said:

Marx Brothers. I don't think it's even close.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By MayorFeedback

Marx Brothers, FUCKING DUH.

@HAMMERCLAW: To say that the Marx Brothers were not "well-received or understood at the time" is to display massive ignorance, sorry bro.