• 106 results
#1 Edited by pingpongmaster (1 posts) -

We all know Vertigo just topped Citizen Kane for #1 spot, but which movie do you think should be #1?

I think

- Taxi Driver has the best acting I've ever seen, leagues above Vertigo.

- The music score by Bernard Herrmann is brilliant & really sets the mood.

- The editing is top notch & has been unmatched since 1976.

What would be your pick?

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

I just watched Taxi Driver for the first time last week. That movie is fucked up.

Back To The Future is the best film ever made.

#3 Posted by Rafaelfc (1471 posts) -

Cobra is the best movie ever made (even Jeff agrees on this)

#4 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

Cool As Ice is the greatest movie ever made.

#5 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

Cool As Ice is the greatest movie ever made.

This. Obviously.

Though in serious, for me, it's Up. That film is fucking fantastic start to finish. Rushmore a close second.

@Redbullet685 said:

You're an insane individual who I just do not understand. I really don't get why that film is so loved. It's just... it's just so flat. Nothing special about it. One of those "Classics" that may have been cult in the time, but really doesn't stand the test of it.

#6 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King

#7 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Sliced Bread II: Electric Boogaloo

#8 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Where did Vertigo top Citizen Kane? I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Vertigo is pretty damn good. Haven't seen Citizen Kane.

Shawshank Redemption is probably my number 1.

#9 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -
#10 Posted by Sean2206 (258 posts) -

I'd agree with vertigo at number 1 and have for a while, that or It's a wonderful life. i adore both of those movies. I like some James Stewart. I also love the original Oceans Eleven.

#11 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

No other movie is even in the same fucking sport.

#12 Posted by Matterless (328 posts) -

(It's still Citizen Kane.)

#13 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
No Contest.
#14 Edited by Fear_the_Booboo (587 posts) -

Last Year at Marienbad.

Best film ever made. It's just too artsy and some people hate that.

While I think both Citizen Kane and Vertigo are masterpieces, I don't think any of them is number one.

No Fellini's film in the top 10 is also pissing me off.

Edit: 8½ is in there. So sorry for my mistake, my bad.

#15 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

@Sean2206 said:

I'd agree with vertigo at number 1 and have for a while, that or It's a wonderful life. i adore both of those movies. I like some James Stewart. I also love the original Oceans Eleven.

Yeah Brad Pitt was great in that!

#16 Edited by Matterless (328 posts) -

@Fear_the_Booboo said:

Last Year at Marienbad.

Best film ever made. It's just too artsy and some people hate that.

While I think both Citizen Kane and Vertigo are masterpieces, I don't think any of them is number one.

Um... 8 1/2 was #10. Be pissed off no more!

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@Degringolade said:

i think you're confusing influential with best. they mean different things. just like the Beatles arent the best rock band.

#18 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (217 posts) -

My film snob pick would be Rear Window as the Best Film. That film stands up fantastically. It's just a man in his room looking out his window yet it still super suspenseful. Plus I have written a rather large paper on it for a Film Theory class I took.

#19 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1219 posts) -

Jack & Jill, no joke

#20 Edited by Nottle (1915 posts) -

Pulp Fiction and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly are both great so I'd have to say Godfather.

I've never seen Vertigo or Citizen Kane.

#21 Edited by jakob187 (21780 posts) -

Raging Bull.

While I understand why people put Vertigo and Citizen Kane up there, I will continue to feel that Raging Bull is a movie that has rarely been given the due recognition it deserves. Yes, people call it a fantastic movie, even a masterpiece. Nonetheless, I look at how The Searchers is in the Top 10 on that list and say "it's a stellar film and a prime example of a fantastic Western, but Raging Bull is a better movie all-around and deserves that place".

Then again, I also get miffed at the idea that Sunrise continually gets more praise just because of the German expressionism and art direction of the movie. Again, that is a great thing, but Raging Bull uses all of that SOOO much better IMO.

With all this having happened, I really think I need to have a night of watching Vertigo and Citizen Kane. It's been a solid five years since I've seen either of them.

@Fear_the_Booboo said:

8 1/2 is on the list.

#22 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

No Contest.

Fuck yeah. Greatest buddy cop bro movie of all time.

#23 Posted by Strife777 (1614 posts) -

No film is number one. There is tons of stellar films, masterpieces if you will, but they reach for and achieve different things.

Boring answer I know, I just hate choosing number ones, I think it doesn't make much sense.

#24 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (587 posts) -

@Degringolade: Not in the new top 10, is it?

Oh yes, sorry, my bad. I take that comment back.

#25 Posted by Matterless (328 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

@Degringolade said:

i think you're confusing influential with best. they mean different things. just like the Beatles arent the best rock band.

I know exactly what I mean, thanks. Just as I'm sure lots of people would disagree with you about The Beatles.

#26 Posted by believer258 (12216 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

Jack & Jill, no joke

I saw bits and pieces of that while my parents watched it. They laughed their asses off and the bit I saw of it seemed funny, but then I saw the Rottentomatoes thing. I'm wondering if my parents just have lame taste (which they do) or if it got low ratings because all movie critics are snobby hipsters (which I'm sure was a contributing factor).

Anyway, to be a pedantic snob, there is no such thing as "true best film ever" or any sort of best-ever anything. There's taste, to be sure, but tastes and opinions vary wildly so one man's Citizen Kane might be another man's Pulp Fiction.

Count me in the Pulp Fiction camp, Citizen Kane was boring. I feel like honorable mentions should be given to It's a Wonderful Life. Idealistic? Sure. But that's a great movie for brightening up a bad day.

#27 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Shawshank Redemption

#28 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93 said:

No other movie is even in the same fucking sport.

Shit son, that ain't even the best Tarantino film.

#29 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1219 posts) -

@believer258: It is awful but the fact that it made 150 million dollars has convinced me that it's somehow brilliant.

#30 Edited by Yummylee (22587 posts) -

I'm not going to contest it as the ''best'' movie, because it's an argument that's never worth having, but my own personal favourite would be Goodfellas.

#31 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

No film is number one. There is tons of stellar films, masterpieces if you will, but they reach for and achieve different things. Boring answer I know, I just hate choosing number ones, I think it doesn't make much sense.

i completely agree.

its exactly like saying "this is the BEST painting" "this is the BEST song". people should stop trying to make opinions facts.

#32 Posted by xdaknightx69 (450 posts) -

and the LOTR trilogy.

#33 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
#34 Posted by Demoskinos (15188 posts) -

For me it is Fight Club.

#35 Posted by OldGuy (1575 posts) -

I've watched 8000+ movies. I personally own about 2000. I was ahead of the curve, Vertigo is my favorite movie of all time.

#36 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Apocalypse Now.

#37 Posted by PenguinDust (12642 posts) -

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

#38 Posted by AlexW00d (6450 posts) -

Bad Boys 2 obviously.

#39 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

There is no such thing as a true best anything.

#40 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

@Cheesebob said:

Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King

Seriously? The Fellowship of the Ring is by far the best movie in the trilogy and still there are a good few better films than that.

#41 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

I just watched Taxi Driver for the first time last week. That movie is fucked up.

I love everything about this answer.

#42 Posted by Stonyman65 (2879 posts) -

Big Trouble in Little China

#43 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best film ever made.

#44 Posted by BRich (440 posts) -
@Clonedzero

@Degringolade said:

Except for the fact that the Beatles are far and away the best rock band.

Movies are tough, but of the "modern era" I fucking love Gladiator and Inception.
#45 Edited by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

You are all wrong. This is the greatest movie ever.............

p.s so is this ......

#46 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1210 posts) -

Warrior

or

The Wrestler

BEST FILMS EVER MADE.

#47 Posted by CookieMonster (2451 posts) -

Agent Codie Banks

Die Hard 4.0

Agent Codie Banks 2

#48 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

Avengers!

Not as a work of art, but as something made to entertain me.

Other than that, either Life Aquatic or Royal Tenenbaums. I dunno, I like what I like.

#49 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1007 posts) -

I would probably say something generic like pulp fiction but I want to say something crazy like Eraserhead.

@Degringolade said:

Fuck no. Fuck that film. FUCK

#50 Posted by Djnuttty (139 posts) -

Eraserhead.