The Twin Peaks Season 3 discussion thread! [SPOILERS]

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

This episode was incredible. The show keeps getting better and I love it so much. Completely unlike anything else on TV.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well at least stuff is happening. My fear is that people were right, though. If we get to see cooper firing on all pistons at all, it will likely be very brief.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@mudkatt said:

Well at least stuff is happening. My fear is that people were right, though. If we get to see cooper firing on all pistons at all, it will likely be very brief.

The MacGuffin for original Twin Peaks was "Who killed Laura Palmer?" We all knew something killed her, and watched every ep with fingers crossed we'd get closer to our answer, or at the very least that at some point, we will get it.

The Return has "Who will wake up Coop?"

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great episode. Sarah Palmer just became the most intriguing character to me.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Speaking of the numbers and telephone poles, did anyone notice that the numbers shown to Andy on the pole were 6 but in three shots. It might be me getting too paranoid about Lynch and Frost but that sure as hell seemed like a 6 6 6 to me.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@retris: it was 6 shown 3 times but all the telephone poles in the show have focused on the same one with the same number above the big 6 (I assume those are some kind of serial number for the pole or something). They've reused footage from Fire Walk With Me of that same pole, it's the one from the trailer park where the agent went missing in the film.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help but feel that Andy being the chosen one, and snapping into action when returning was yet another prank on the audience.

It was like Lynch was saying "Look, we just showed the dumbest character in the series a slideshow, and HE seems to understand it all just fine!"

Mindkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new episode was great but the season as a whole is a big misfire imo.

I don't really think it adds much worthwhile to Twin Peaks. Lore stuff with Bob and the Black Lodge isn't that interesting imo. I hope we get to see a Lynch film again at some point.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, episode 15 had a ton going on, between having probably the most happy (Ed and Norma) and sad (Margret) scenes in the series, plus the real interesting stuff going on with both Dougie and Mr. C.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love this show. Also, this show can go fuck itself.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way this series has been going I was expecting the Ed/Norma scene to go really rotten at the end. Not sure what to make of the Dougie stuff, trying to go back to the lodge for that gold ball from forever ago maybe?

Log Lady scene was great.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

I was really looking forward to what they were going to do with Phillip Jeffries once he showed himself and it was both surprising and exactly what I would have expected out of David Lynch.

Man, that look in Cooper's eye when her heard "Gordon Cole" and the absolute panic to turn the TV off. I think he's back now and I hope we see him next episode. There are theories that his physical body came through that wall socket but his consciousness did not, which is why he's been acting like he has acting. Perhaps hearing Gordon's name woke him up enough to know he had to put that fork in that socket. Dougie Jones died there but Special Agent Dale Cooper has returned in his stead. I can't believe I have to wait 7 days for another.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Literally gasped and covered my mouth when Dougie heard "Get Gordon Cole." I know it's been said a thousand times at this point but I think Cooper is actually back.

The scene with the Log Lady was heartbreaking, especially knowing that Catherine Coulson has passed away. A really beautiful tribute that was very well deserved.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't get the point of the Charlie and Audrey scenes. In a show where I respect the long pauses and unexplained story, these annoy me more than anything.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last ep was frustrating.

- First I'll get the good stuff out of the way. Loved the Good/Evil Coop scenes, as usual. We got to see Evil Coop get a bit flustered or hot headed, which was special, and see Good Coop emerge. I was slightly horrified at him going for the socket though :(

- Seems like the coma theory is out the window, if Audrey has a kid. Also, I had no idea her dumpy husband was a full highted human being! Audrey sucks by the way. I know people like her... that refuse to do anything with themselves but pretend to be a victim, and focus all energy into fighting who they deem as the root of all their problems, rather than "put on their coat and just go out".

- They gave a passionate tribute to Margaret. Sadly, it didn't strike any more of a stronger tone than when the first time she appeared this season. The scene with the PD mourning was a bit too much. Also, wtf was Truman just looking at a tiny picture of a fish on his laptop?

- Nadine "setting Ed free" annoyed me. This is another example of Lynch sweating the small stuff, and not delivering the pertinent info. I was under the impression all season that Ed and Nadine were separated. I was even taken a bit aback that they reset Ed & Norma to apart (they were together at the end of S2). Like... a little bit of setting up where they stand would have gone a long way to make the breakup feel important.

- I have the same problem with Chad being in the clink. We all HATE Chad, but they skipped over the part where we see the cops get their information together and figure out how they're gonna nail him. Not being able to see that part made his arrest two eps ago feel... unearned. Also, LOL at Andy saying "no one can know about this creepy blind lady.", then throwing half the town into a room with her.

- James sucks. He deserves to get pummeled by an angry redneck. Also, my god, the roadhouse is just the worst place. I'd feel safer above the convenience store.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't get the point of the Charlie and Audrey scenes. In a show where I respect the long pauses and unexplained story, these annoy me more than anything.

I think you do get the point, then.

- Nadine "setting Ed free" annoyed me. This is another example of Lynch sweating the small stuff, and not delivering the pertinent info. I was under the impression all season that Ed and Nadine were separated. I was even taken a bit aback that they reset Ed & Norma to apart (they were together at the end of S2). Like... a little bit of setting up where they stand would have gone a long way to make the breakup feel important.

While I liked the eventual resolution to that arc (kinda hard not to be happy for them), I also didn't really like the stuff with Nadine. Like, this series has done nothing to show that she'd ever have this change of heart, to the point where I was waiting for a followup scene where she walked into the RR and gunned everyone down in a cheerleader outfit with pills erupting from her mouth.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roomrunner: the small stuff is why I like twin peaks.

@teddie: I think the very few scenes they had with her did a good job of conveying why she had a change of heart. She developed an obsession for Dr Jakoby and his message, and it's very obvious. Also, people rarely behave like normal humans in twin peaks

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By Panfoot

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think it's more of Lynch just intentionally skipping over the stuff he didn't like from season 2 rather than not setting it up. It matches up pretty well with their relationship throughout the original series, prior to the whole cheerleader thing. Ed and Nadine's relationship being just barely existent in the first place, Ed obviously pining after Norma and Nadine obsessed with her silent drape runners. Everything is the same as 20 years ago, again with Ed in the dinner pining over Norma and Nadine's obsession taken to the next step, selling her silent drape runners.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is this a one and done thing or is there going to be a 4th season?

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a one and done thing or is there going to be a 4th season?

I think it's probably a one and done thing. I remember seeing an article about showtime being willing do to more if Lynch wants to but they haven't discussed it yet. Kinda get the feeling that this is going to be the end though.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By Roomrunner

@roomrunner: the small stuff is why I like twin peaks.

Same, but Lynch/Frost can't have their cake and eat it too here. In a show where most storylines agonizingly tease payoffs, and make you hang every step of the way, this Nadine/Ed/Norma did not properly lay enough groundwork for me to care as much as they wanted me to when it climaxed. One establishing scene of knowing where Nadine and Ed stood with each other would have done a lot more good than two extra Jacoby InfoWars skits. All those scenes with Nadine and her milkshake (and later meeting Jacoby) gave me the impression that she was living her own independent life, with no connection to Ed left.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Goboard

@roomrunner:

I feel like you get it then, but don't realize it. It takes all the way until now to see that the relationship between Ed and Nadine has all but died and was only ever built on Nadine's obsession and Ed's guilt over shooting out Nadine's eye. That they are finally at the point where this can happen is conveyed through the total absence of one in the others scenes up till this point and our knowledge that it's been 25 years since we last saw these characters making the absence speak volumes. Ed is alone but clearly not with Norma and Nadine is infatuated with Dr. Jacoby As for the state of the relationship between Ed and Norma at the end of season 2, after Nadine has something fall on her head at the Ms. Twin Peaks pageant we see her back at home and she had returned to her normal self, both confused and angry to see Norma and Ed together essentially resetting things. All of these details are small and not integral to the main plot, but borne out over a long period of time, all of which makes it feel really earnest and human.

I also disagree that Audrey being in a coma is no longer a possibility. Sheriff Truman not having a scene where he tells her what Richard did, not having any kind of communication between Audrey and her parents after what Richard did to Sylvia and Johnny all suggests something about her situation. Even her being the mother of Richard Horne doesn't exclude the possibility because, though rare, it's possible to give birth while in a coma. As for Charlie, I've gotten the sense that he's intentionally obscuring things from Audrey and manipulating her current distressed state by his own passive aggressive tone. Not to mention his total disinterest overall and the threat he made towards her in the previous episode, I find it hard to not see things from Audrey's perspective.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I very rarely need to go back and watch scenes from movies or tv-shows right after watching them, but I had to go back and watch both the Ed/Nadine/Norma and the Coop scene right away this time. The acting by both Everett McGill and Kyle MacLachlan was beautiful. Everett especially, when Nadine turned around and had set him free, and when Norma touches his shoulder. That man should get some recognition for what he did there. Just perfect acting.

And Kyle. Man. He just went from the dazed and lost Dougie to Special Agent Dale Cooper in an instant.

I am really looking forward to the finishing episodes, not only because I want to see how this ends, but also so that I can rewatch the whole damn thing!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how many episodes are there in this season ? Also what's up with those teens shooting them self's in the woods where they on Meth or something ?

Rip Dougie

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

So how many episodes are there in this season ? Also what's up with those teens shooting them self's in the woods where they on Meth or something ?

Rip Dougie

Only 3 episodes left now, almost there.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: The guy who presumably shot himself (we didn't see it so maybe he didn't?) is Stephen Burnett, Becky's husband and the women he's with is Gersten Hayward, daughter of Will and Eileen Hayward as well as sister to Donna and Harriet Hayward. We've seen Stephen do drugs and clearly act crazily before so he's probably high in this scene. Last time we saw Stephen and Gersten they were hiding in the stairwell at the apartments where Becky shoots at the door to Gersten's apartment. When Cyril Pons, the guy walking his dog in the forest, gets back to the New Fat Trout trailer park he points to the window of the trailer that Becky and Stephen live. Stephen was saying a lot of stuff that didn't make any sense, but some think that he was talking about Becky and that he might have killed or hurt her.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goboard: Ok thanks for clearing that out , there just way to many characters to keep up with :D.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

IT FINALLY HAPPENED

HOLY SHIT

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

I can't stop smiling, it was all worth it.

EDIT: ...well Diane's story put an end to that, but still glad Cooper is back.

Avatar image for achillesforever
achillesforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how a bunch of the loss ends were tied up immediately in this episode

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By Panfoot

I can't stop smiling, it was all worth it.

EDIT: ...well Diane's story put an end to that, but still glad Cooper is back.

Yeah, Diane's story is the one thing I didn't like in this episode, but I also totally expected the backstory there to be what happened. Otherwise maaaan did I not expect so much to happen so quickly, I expected we would be at the point we are at now by the end of episode 17.

Btw, in case anybody missed it, both episodes 17 and 18 will be back to back next sunday, starting at 8.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ. I'm exhausted.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, is the Road House James just an Audrey projection? Does this explain the preposterous statement "James was always cool".

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By Ben_H

That was a lot to digest.

REAL COOPER IS BACK YAYYYYY. Them playing the theme right after was the perfect touch.

The ending to the couple of assassins was pretty amusing. Also, Richard Horne's death was pretty good too, if he is indeed dead. And yeah, it's now confirmed he's evil Cooper's son.

Audrey is totally either in a coma or trapped in some type of weird dimension. It seemed like that would be the case and it definitely seems to be.

Seeing what must have been the real Diane for a bit was crazy. It all makes sense now that the one coordinating with evil Cooper was a doppelgänger. Sad to see the suspicions everyone had about the real Diane and evil Cooper were true.

@sethmode said:

So, is the Road House James just an Audrey projection? Does this explain the preposterous statement "James was always cool".

That could explain why he played that dumb song too.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: That too, of course! haha

Saw some a good theory as well that Real Diane is the woman in the cell that Andy and the Boys found at Jackrabbit's Palace.

I have to stop posting for a bit and digest more. I still feel blown away.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@sethmode said:

Saw some a good theory as well that Real Diane is the woman in the cell that Andy and the Boys found at Jackrabbit's Palace.

DoppleDiane said "I'm at the sheriff's station" over and over before she deflated like a balloon, so at this point I'd say that's a very plausible theory. Though I really, really hate to think that real Diane's condition is a result of BadCoop... Just awful to even think about.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#388  Edited By Milkman

@sethmode said:

This was my first thought as well.

What the fuck am I suppose to do with my life when this is over next week?

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I totally thought Gordon was going to get shot and I was NOT HAPPY thinking that. Close call, lol.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By SethMode

@corwag: Man, so did we. I said "Oh man, they're going to give us one thing and take away another."

That scene was fucking tense.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By MudKatt

This was the one I had been waiting for! Rather than talk about what could/should have been, I'm just going to enjoy that Coop is back in the saddle and see where we go from here. I guess at this point, no matter what may happen I got to see what I had signed up for, even if this should have been like episode 4. I'm pretty interested to see where we end up here...I don't know how everything could possibly be tied up nicely, but I'll be there for the trip. Any thoughts on whether there will be room left for another season or not?

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mudkatt said:

This was the one I had been waiting for! Rather than talk about what could/should have been, I'm just going to enjoy that Coop is back in the saddle and see where we go from here. I guess at this point, no matter what may happen I got to see what I had signed up for, even if this should have been like episode 4. I'm pretty interested to see where we end up here...I don't know how everything could possibly be tied up nicely, but I'll be there for the trip. Any thoughts on whether there will be room left for another season or not?

I can totally see them doing a sort of spin-off following Tammy Preston digging into the Blue Rose cases.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@corwag said:
@mudkatt said:

I can totally see them doing a sort of spin-off following Tammy Preston digging into the Blue Rose cases.

Pretty sure that's what this is going to be.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let it be known that I called it that the entirety of Twin Peaks was in Audrey's head, not just the scenes with her in them, 2 weeks ago in this very thread. Y'know, for when they reveal that in next weeks show.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea what's going on with Audrey. Suddenly the Cooper story is very straightforward and everything else makes no sense. I'm kind of glad to see that those scenes are dumb for a good reason.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: I couldn't really get through The Secret History of Twin Peaks, but I have my suspicions as to who the "narrator" of that is now given their initials and this character.

This show has in its own way ruined GoT for both myself and my partner. We finish the TP episode and just want to talk about it nonstop. Then we watch GoT and...just want to talk about TP nonstop. It has really exceeded my expectations. I'm legitimately excited to go back and rewatch it.

Also somewhat tangentially GoT's related, it's so nice to be genuinely surprised constantly (TP) in the midst of a GoT season that, while enjoyable, is fairly predictable in a lot of ways.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things really are wrapping up, although I really wonder what the point of Richard was if that's the last time we see him. They never developed him beyond "1-dimensional asshole", or made him plot-critical, or gave him any backstory/resolution to his story.

I really hope that's the last we see of the Vegas family. That whole "goodbye" scene made me way more uncomfortable than I think was intended. I can't believe people actually wanted an ending where Cooper kept pretending to be Dougie/stayed with them.

Otherwise yeah this was a pretty killer episode. The amount of fanservice and characters actually doing things in the last few episodes makes me wonder why the first half of the show was so dull and emotionless, maybe to make the stuff that happened in this episode hit harder? Either way I'm looking forward to next week, but fully expect the last episode to just be a pair of giant blue balls superimposed over Kyle MacLachlan's face.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: overall I agree with you (particularly regarding the Vegas family, which I liked but, come on...it seems obvious to me that Coop intends to create a new Dougie for them and that is how it should be).

Having said that, I think Richard might still be justified depending on where things go with Audrey. I'm not saying it was done well per se (I am still like, legit troubled by the kid getting hit scene) but I think it will be wrapped up. I really only say that because every time I think something won't be tied up, it is.

The plot threads I am most confused by are all of those in the Sheriff's jail that aren't Naido, what the Roadhouse is supposed to be this season, why we even met Shelly and Bobby's kid outside of getting to see Dana Ashbrook fucking kill it this season, and Mr. Hulk Hand. They are all threads that I feel like are almost impossible to wrap up in 2 hours. Having said THAT, this show has found ways to fucking just seal up plot points in like, 30 seconds, so what the fuck do I know.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: I don't think that Richard had to be more important to the story. He illustrates a lot of issues with other characters by being such a shitbag himself which was enough for me.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am still pumped about what has happened. I think once it's all done I'm definitely going to go back and rewatch it all again. I bet there's tons of stuff I've missed or forgot about week to week that would be quite noticeable when watching episodes back to back.