The Universe

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By destro

I know this is a video game website and clearly off-topic but its to interesting. I've been seeing a bunch of space shows on the discovery channel lightly and I've been tuning into them because their just so damn interesting. I cant see how someone couldn't watch it. I was just going to share some of the FUCKED up information I've collected from these shows/documentaries. This will probably make you think......really hard. (if you actually read the whole thing)

- There is supposedly a mathematical equation to figure out how many intelligent lifeforms are in the universe and the numbers are insane. They were saying that if this equation is correct then that means there are millions of other intelligent lifeforms in the universe.

(Some people might already know ab out this one) - Venus and Mars are twins of the Earth.
Venus- Probably once looked like the earth does now. With an atmosphere, wind, water and possibly even life. Now Venus is a giant ball of fire and magma that constantly pours out of the crust. The reason for this is because there is so much greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that ALL the heat gets trapped in. Many scientists believe that Venus went through a major climate change much like the Earth is going through now. So one day if we don't stop global warming the Earth could come to the same fate as its twin sister, Venus.

Mars - Earth's big bro. This red, dry plant once had water on it, there is a lot of evidence to prove this but to me the only thing you need to see are the canals on Mars. You can clearly look at the canals/gorges on Mars and compare them to the ones on Earth and they are identical. The only way these canals/gorges could form would be from water (they also have proof of erosion). As many people already know there has been several controversial pictures taken off Mars showing what looks to be lines/grids in the ground. Many scientists believe that  these lines/grids looks the the last remnants to ancient walls/houses or fortresses. There is also the very controversial "face" on Mars. Not sure what to think about this one, either mere coincidence or a past civilization trying to communicate? There is also a picture of Mars that looks to show a giant tower and pyramids. In this documentary i watched it discussed a theory about how life might have started on Earth. Millions of years ago while the Earth was in its last stages of developments life on Mars was already flourishing. Vast green fields and flowing water....but also...a civilization. A civilization very similar to us. But one day the inevitable happens and an asteroid strikes the planet. Everything and everyone is destroyed. However, giant chunks of land and debris brake off from Mars and get throw into space. They eventually fly near Earth where they would get pulled into its gravitational pull. Those asteroids (which would have frozen water and, microscopic life on it) would then impact the Earth and the ice/life forms on the asteroid would melt. Bringing both water and life to this new planet..to start a new beginning. If this theory were true then that would mean that all humans are technically martians, and are home planet was Mars. Remember this would all be taking place billions of years ago. Just when our Solar System was in its last stages of development. And remember this is only a theory. It's just a very interesting one and you cant say its not impossible.

Im sorry i cant add any of those pictures. I tryed and tryed and i cant get it to work. So. Just google images "inca city" "mars pyramids"  and you should find them with no problem

I also saw what happens to stars once they die. Even though i already knew what happened i learned even more. Once a star dies it basically falls in on itself. Its gravity because so heavy and intense that the sun itself cant support it...and it collapses from the inside out. After a star dies a white dwarf is usually created. This is a baby star. However these stars are denser then any other in the universe. They are so dense that a pin-head sized amount would way millions of tons. I said usually white dwarfs are created because sometimes they are not.... Sometimes the star doesn't stop collapsing. It just keeps going and going until it completely disappears and then...boom...a black hole is born. Its gravity so intense that no even light can escape. Where do they go? who knows. We do know however that they defy every law of physics. For all we know we are inside a black hole right now, within a black hole, within a black hole.

The Universe is massive, far bigger then we think. But there's one thing for sure. We have to get off this rock...out of this solar system...out of this galaxy. The next step for humans is to spread throughout the galaxy and the universe. There are many secrets to the universe and the only way to get the answers is to get out there and get the raw facts..the proof we need. There ARE other intelligent lifeforms somewhere out there. I wouldn't even be surprised if there were other humans somewhere out there. With trillions and trillions of stars and billions and billions of planets around those stars. There are defiantly other planets that are not to cold and not to hot but just right.

Thanks for reading. Ignorance is a Bliss

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

This stuff should be taught in middle school.

I found out most of this when i was 16, and i found out that the face of mars was actually a mountain, much higher res pictures were taken on mars recently that prove it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I love reading and watching shit like this, and I`m horrible at science, but this stuff always amazes me, that was a good read man.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By EvilDingo
destro said:
"- There is supposedly a mathematical equation to figure out how many intelligent lifeforms are in the universe and the numbers are insane. They were saying that if this equation is correct then that means there are millions of other intelligent lifeforms in the universe."
While that's most likely the case - I saw a video with Stephen Hawkins recently and according him the statistic possibility of intelligent life within our reach (several hundreds of light-years) is very unlikely.

I can understand why these examples you mention is not being taught, because it's all very much just theories without large support.

One thing that annoys me about the typical Discovery program, is that it pretty much seem to have the same structure, no matter what the subject.
The first part of the programs is factual interesting coverage, that generally makes me feel enlightened.
The last part of the programs consists of "out there" theories, that makes me annoyed over watching the entirety.

I don't actually why this is the case. Probably entrainment value.
it's pretty much certain that if I watch a program about something like the Pyramids, while the entire program may be very enlightening, it's pretty much guarantied to end with suggestions of alien interference.

While you can argue that they are just covering multiple views and being fair, the fact that they always seem to end on the "wacky" note, makes it seem like that is the message they wanted to send with the program all along.
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercator

If you guys enjoy science but dont feel scientifically inclined i recommend the Radio Lab pod cast.

Radio Lab is basically This American Life but about scientific subjects. Its a weekly show that picks a theme, such as Space, Sleep, or Emergence and explains them through stories.

You find out interesting tidbits...like birds only sleep half of their brain at a time so they are constantly ready to escape predators or that ants seemingly have no intelligence by themselves, but once you get a colony together they are capable or specific jobs and elaborate structures, this phenomena is called Emergence.

The episode titiled The Multi Universes basically explains all the theories ofthe universe...its wild stuff.

Anyway you can get it on Itunes or ther website
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By super_machine

In the big picture of the universe it shows how special life on earth is, and how stupid humanity is for all the petty bull shit we do to each other.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bullet_Jr
super_machine said:
"In the big picture of the universe it shows how special life on earth is, and how stupid humanity is for all the petty bull shit we do to each other. "
I live for the petty bullshit, just so long as I'm not involved. It's the little things that piss people off that I enjoy most in life. Like when a business man in full suit has to run after the bus or a sexy girl rolls her ankle in high heels.

I'm not a sick person, I just can appreciate the tragedy/comedy in everything.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust

Did you know that the Universe is made up of vibrating strings of energy?  It can be a very complicatedly expressed idea, but check out these videos on this page for a nice easy explanation from a PBS series by Brian Greene, based on his book, the Elegant Universe. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html and it's available on DVD (4) if you have Netflix.

As far as the life on other planets question goes, scientists have long theorized that where the conditions are right, life could have started elsewhere in the Universe.  In fact, there is one theory that suggests life came to Earth from somewhere else inside a comet that crashed on our planet eons ago.  Life, as we understand it and can recognize it to be, requires water to exist, so it is other planets which may contain water in some state of being that have the best chance for life.   In addition to the possibility of life beneath the surface of Mars, there is speculation that the moon of Saturn, Enceladus and Jupiter's Europa may have the right conditions necessary for life to develop. 

Science is fun!
Science is fun!

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK

Anyone who's really interested in the universe should check out Cosmos. I also agree with the above poster that Elegant Universe is good as well.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercator
super_machine said:
"In the big picture of the universe it shows how special life on earth is, and how stupid humanity is for all the petty bull shit we do to each other. "
I agree with this. I have a teaching degree and have every intention of illustrating this thought to my kids using Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot

Every moment of your life should be savored as it is the product of ridiculous chance.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Geno

I've always loved astronomy and I think those educational shows on space are the best ones. Carl Sagan was and still is amazing, totally bringing the universe to life.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Aurelito
Geno said:
"I've always loved astronomy and I think those educational shows on space are the best ones. Carl Sagan was and still is amazing, totally bringing the universe to life. "
As far as I'm concerned, astronomy is not a the whole thing, it deals with trigonometry and astrophysics. I'm one hundred percent sure that I'm not right about it, but maybe that's not the correct term to use for whole space-related sciences.

Also educational shows are disappointing. I don't know if they're accurate or not, but since most of them convince people that disapproved theories are facts, I prefer reading books instead no matter how complicated it is, some of them are more fundamental.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane

The Universe is an awesome series.  I watch it whenever I catch it on the History Channel.