• 85 results
#1 Posted by BeachThunder (12448 posts) -

Depending on your timezone, April Fools' day is already well under way. So, this thread's to discuss pranks pulled by websites, pranks pulled in real life, your own pranks, prank speculation, whatever...

By the way, this site's great for tracking website pranks; there's nothing that interesting at the moment, but I'm sure that will change soon enough :o

#2 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

I have it on good authority that this will be Wikipedia's featured article tomorrow.

#3 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

A big home-opener win by the Cleveland Indians  April 1 over the Chicago White Sox would be quite an April Fool's prank.

#4 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

April Fool's is the opiate of the people.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

Referring to things as the opi[um] of the people is the opium of the sardonic.

#6 Edited by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: I never knew the formal definition of sardonic. Also, opiates exist, so I don't understand why you're correcting me. 

I do like the idea of being mockingly cynical, though.
#7 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Every year I always say that absolutely nothing is going to fool me. I then end up being puzzled by some small or minor thing I never saw coming, or some huge thing that has the plausibility of being true.

#8 Posted by YetiAntics (1493 posts) -

Cant wait to see what shenanigans they use on tomorrow's Happy Hour.

#9 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -
@example1013: Original quote from Karl Marx translated directly from German is "Religion is the opium of the people." Just giving the Marx-man his due :D
#10 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: I've always heard it quoted as "opiate", but if I've been going by a mistranslation, I completely bow to your logic. I just didn't understand why, since that's the only way I've ever seen it written. Oh well. No worries!
#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -
@example1013: You're totally not wrong. Many people refer to that quotation as, "Religion is the opiate of the masses," but the original German text reads, "Die religion... ist das Opium des Volkes."
#12 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: TBH I glazed over the WIkipedia article (that actually said that in it), so I didn't really pay attention enough to notice that, when I went to check the phrase yesterday for my post in the religion thread. 

Well by now, the non sequitur is ruined anyways, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll make sure to get it right next time.
#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

i got laid

#14 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -

Youtube 1911 is pretty good.

#15 Posted by TheLastNeo (443 posts) -

Myself and 14 other guys I work with (we do field support) are all "pretending" to call out tomorrow.. and make the inside staff @ our office freak the hell out.

somewhat lame, but simultaneously hilarious. 

#16 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

So the april fools joke is that this thread is actually official?

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (12448 posts) -
#18 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

I'm psyched to see Blizzard's gag this year.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (12448 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" I'm psyched to see Blizzard's gag this year. "
;_; last year was heart-breaking; joking about a new Blackthorne game is just mean.
#20 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Waiting for Half Life 3 announcement.
#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

boo it's april fools again. i'm going to try and not be here or online because of crappy pranks that sites are going to pull. i remember a couple of years ago all of youtube's front videos were rickrolls, which i found pretty funny. there were some people that put like hey this isn't the video that i clicked on.

#22 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

I hope Duke Nukem Forever comes out. Like, it's actually out, in stores, on April 1. 

But in reality, I'm hoping something will actually trick me. A few years back it was this article that I thought was real until I started reading the comments.

#23 Posted by RecSpec (3949 posts) -
#24 Edited by Trebz (487 posts) -

Looking forward to what the Internet has to throw at us tomorrow (it's 10:30pm March 31 here). I hope I fall for something this year. 

EDIT: The "Top 5 Viral Pictures of 1911" is hilarious.

#25 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Was the tested thing a joke too?

#26 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

#27 Posted by Daouzin (119 posts) -
#28 Posted by RecSpec (3949 posts) -
@yoshimitz707: Kinda in a sense, I mean the glasses work, but it is impractical as hell. Also, that video was from February. 
#29 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I heard theres this trailer for the Legend of Zelda Movie...
#30 Posted by RecSpec (3949 posts) -

I feel bad for anyone that has to report real news today. 

I remember the Square Enix merger happening on April Fool's Day.

#31 Edited by powerpc127 (98 posts) -
#32 Posted by ajamafalous (12166 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
" Waiting for Half Life 3 announcement. "
Maximum troll.
#33 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

While I did say this in another thread, I'd like to say this one more time:

This is going to be a rough April 1st.

Oh and if anyone says anything about developer/publisher Cing being brought out of bankruptcy and developing another game with Kyle Hyde in it as a joke just for today, I'll cut you!

#34 Posted by BeachThunder (12448 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @Rayfield said:
Maximum troll. "
Are you trying to imply that Crysis 3 and Half Life 3 will actually be the same game :o

If they do actually combine the two games together, it should be called:
#35 Posted by Zabant (1269 posts) -

Happy Liars Day!!
#36 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Rayfield said:
Maximum troll. "
Are you trying to imply that Crysis 3 and Half Life 3 will actually be the same game :o

If they do actually combine the two games together, it should be called:
"
Thats pretty good. =P
#37 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -

#38 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I hate April fools....see you tomorrow giantbomb.

#39 Posted by Sweep (8986 posts) -

Wikipedia's featured image of the day: 

A 1513  portrait of an unknown Duchess , possibly  Margaret, Countess of Tyrol , by  Flemish  painter  Quentin Matsys . She holds a red flower in her right hand, at the time a symbol of engagement, indicating that she is trying to attract a suitor. This portrait inspired the appearance of the  Duchess  in  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland . The portrait is Matsys' best-known work, and formed half of a  diptych . The painting is in the  National Gallery  in London.

#40 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -

I like the Destructoid approach, may as well go completely ridiculous with it. No one is going to take any news posted today seriously anyway.

#41 Posted by cinemandrew (710 posts) -

=)

#42 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
#43 Posted by BeachThunder (12448 posts) -
@Lautaro said:
" I like the Destructoid approach, may as well go completely ridiculous with it. No one is going to take any news posted today seriously anyway. "
I can't say I usually care about Destructoid, but that is many kinds of awesome. It's like the real message board but better :3
#44 Posted by Marokai (3155 posts) -

I truly hate April 1st.

#45 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@Marokai: It hates you too.
#46 Posted by Marokai (3155 posts) -
@example1013 said:
" @Marokai: It hates you too. "
Oh I know it does.
#47 Edited by BombKareshi (979 posts) -
#48 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@BombKareshi said:
" @example1013 said:

" @Sweep:  Amazon page for a book using that image. Do you have one for still not sure if serious? "

Someone place an order for that book and see what happens! "
See, I can't know for sure. Because the book is priced at exactly $69.00, and there's only one copy in stock, BUT, there's a preview of the inside. 

I really don't know what to think.
#49 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Oh, and Grooveshark's website is shit. They literally put a red/cyan filter on the WHOLE DAMN THING.

#50 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@example1013 said:
" @StarvingGamer: I never knew the formal definition of sardonic. Also, opiates exist, so I don't understand why you're correcting me.  I do like the idea of being mockingly cynical, though. "
He was trying to explain that the quote you so poorly paraphrased was Karl Marx's comment on Religion when he said it was "the opium of the people".  You might like the idea of sardonic humour, you're just not very good at using it.