#1 Posted by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

So this is a thread to post your thoughts on each episode from week to week. With the inclusion of Ninja girl and Meryl having a bayonet arm or whatever the fuck is going on in that trailer I think this season could turn out to be pretty amazing. Oh and Zombies!!!!

#2 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

A Daryl-Carol love plot is very fucking high on the list of things I don't want from this season.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Since when did Rick become such a dick?

#4 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Since when did Rick become such a dick?

the end of season 2

Even with a robed ninja woman with pet zombies and a racist redneck with a retro lancer arm, I still think it won't be as good without Shane

#5 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

OH SHIT HERSHEL.

OH SHIT HERSHEL'S LEG.

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

…and there goes Herschel.

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3936 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Even with a robed ninja woman with pet zombies and a racist redneck with a retro lancer arm, I still think it won't be as good without Shane

Complete opposite for me, had they not killed Shane yet i wouldn't watch this season.

Online
#8 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I really enjoyed that. I hope it doesn't drag on throughout the mid-season like season 2 did.

#9 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Even with a robed ninja woman with pet zombies and a racist redneck with a retro lancer arm, I still think it won't be as good without Shane

Complete opposite for me, had they not killed Shane yet i wouldn't watch this season.

Exactly. Shane's continued existence was part of what destroyed the second season as far as I'm concerned. The other factor was the group remaining on that farm for way too damn long.

#10 Edited by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

Ok so the first episode is over and overall I thought it was pretty god damn great. I love that Rick is fucking cold as hell now. Especially towards Lori. I loved the scene with Ninja lady running through what appeared to be a store and slicing 2 zombies head off in one slice. I love that Hershel has a beard. I like that Carl appears to be much more mature now instead of an annoying little kid. Daryl is great as always. I appreciate the amount of Zombies in this episode but I expect nothing less from the season premiere. I wish T Dogg had more to say since he maybe said about 3 sentences in all of last season. Also the Hershel leg part was awesome. Next week is going to be great.

#11 Posted by Zacagawea (1596 posts) -

Poor Hershel :(

#12 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1838 posts) -

so have they said if tyresse will be in this or is t-dog his replacement?

Online
#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

I love that Carl wants him some cowgirl.

#14 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

Of course they kill of the character with the sick beard! This season looks like it's going heavily off the comic and by the looks of it T Dogg is going to have the Tyreese hammer moment. I just hope that it doesn't drag it out like last season.

#15 Edited by JacobG (39 posts) -

Oh man, I have to admit, I was worried about this season but man did they start things off on a high note. Even though we don't see much of her, I like the casting of Michonne so far. Seemed like there were a few more prisoners than there were in the comics.

#16 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2416 posts) -

Laurie's thought of a zombie baby ripping her open was pretty interesting. 
 
And holy shit Carol was horny as hell for Daryl.

Online
#17 Posted by Stonyman65 (2725 posts) -

Damn, they probably killed more zombies in the first 15 minutes than they did in the entire first and second season!

High hopes for this season. If it is anything like the first episode, this is going to be bad ass.

#18 Posted by Pr1mus (3936 posts) -

@Kombat said:

The other factor was the group remaining on that farm for way too damn long.

That was AMC doubling the number of episodes while slashing the budget in half, hence the 10 episodes of not doing anything on that goddamn farm. Hopefully they don't repeat that again.

@laserbolts said:

I wish T Dogg had more to say since he maybe said about 3 sentences in all of last season.

It'd be great if they upgraded his character from token black guy to just black guy this season!

Online
#19 Posted by JEC03 (901 posts) -

Great start of the season but I can't stand Carl I hate kids he needs to die but never the less what a awesome episode.

#20 Edited by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

I like the group being super capable and confident now. Clearly, the season seems to be stating the dead aren't much of a threat anymore. Carl also got cock-blocked like a motherfucker.

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Good start for the season!

#22 Posted by MentalDisruption (1639 posts) -

Really enjoyed this first episode. Hopefully they can keep it up. Definitely don't want to see a romance between Daryl and Carol. I'm just not a big fan of Carols character. I won't complain if she gets offed this season. Curious to see what will happen with the baby. I'll be surprised if everything goes well with the birth and they have to keep an infant alive and healthy in that world, but I haven't read the comics. Liking Rick's new attitude. Can't blame Carl for having a thing for Beth. She's pretty damn cute. I hope they don't have Carl get attached to Beth just so they can kill her off for a bigger impact. That sounds like something that could easily happen in order to develop him into a colder person.

Was it just me or was watching them try to figure out how to take down those armored walkers pretty funny?

Oh and Hershel's leg!

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

The parts that did not make since:

  • Hours after unloading massive amounts of ammo into the zombies in the yard, Rick says that they are so low on ammo that they need to clear the prison hand to hand? What?
  • Seconds after hiding from a load of zombies coming from all angles in the hallway, they go out to find not a single zombie still roaming around, only to have the same group of zombies circle around. Where they just doing their rounds?
  • Also silencers, really?
#24 Posted by Redbullet685 (6047 posts) -

I wanna say it was the best episode since the series pilot, which is my favorite episode. Great start to the season! Hope they can keep it up for the rest of the season.

#25 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Cool to hear it's good, it needed to be.

#26 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

loved when rick ripped the gas mask off the zombies head, peeling away it's facial skin or whatever. it was pretty graphic but i loved it

and i guess hershel will be replacing dave as the old guy without a leg. this should be interesting

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@kermoosh

loved when rick ripped the gas mask off the zombies head, peeling away it's facial skin or whatever. it was pretty graphic but i loved it

and i guess hershel will be replacing dave as the old guy without a leg. this should be interesting

It'll be hard to replace Dale, no matter how many legs he loses.
#28 Posted by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -

How bad did they ruin Michonne?

#29 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

  • Hours after unloading massive amounts of ammo into the zombies in the yard, Rick says that they are so low on ammo that they need to clear the prison hand to hand? What?
  • Seconds after hiding from a load of zombies coming from all angles in the hallway, they go out to find not a single zombie still roaming around, only to have the same group of zombies circle around. Where they just doing their rounds?
  • Also silencers, really?

1. Maybe that's precisely why they're now low on ammo. And why wouldn't they use the ammo to clear that prison yard even if they were already short on ammo? It looked like the first safe place to settle down for a while and wait for Lori to have her baby.

2. Agreed, that was kind of weird.

3. Not too hard to come across a silencer in the first place (can buy them at many gun shops,) but those weren't "real" silencers. Rick had a mag-light over his pistol and I couldn't tell what Carl had over his but it definitely didn't look like a silencer. If you're just talking about the use of something to suppress the sound of their weapons, why not?

Not trying to be hostile or a dick, just sharing my views on those points.

#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

@Mr_Misery said:

How bad did they ruin Michonne?

She had all of two minutes of screentime the whole episode. She did manage to decapitate two walkers at once, though.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

@xobballox: Thats fine if they are low on ammo because of that, but the banging on the fence and drawing them to you seemed like it was working fine.

#32 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

I like the group being super capable and confident now. Clearly, the season seems to be stating the dead aren't much of a threat anymore. Carl also got cock-blocked like a motherfucker.

Possessing the knowledge that Beth's actress is a college graduate made all of the weird flirting between she and Carl very awkward.

I've been wondering whether or not they would go through with some of the bad stuff that happened to Rick throughout this particular arc in the comics, but I can't imagine they would want to doctor up Andrew Lincoln's arm for every episode moving forward. I think this is likely why Hershel lost a limb.

#33 Posted by Jayne7 (1 posts) -

I hope hershel lasts a while without his leg and then eventually gets eaten by cannibals :P but no rly, i truly love hershel in this series and would like to see him survive a while. maybe a peg leg or something... like some really religious, zombie fighting pirate <3 and Carl movin in on hershels daughter is nothing but win. I'm loving it, time to watch it again :]

#34 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

@Kombat said:

@EpicSteve said:

I like the group being super capable and confident now. Clearly, the season seems to be stating the dead aren't much of a threat anymore. Carl also got cock-blocked like a motherfucker.

Possessing the knowledge that Beth's actress is a college graduate made all of the weird flirting between she and Carl very awkward.

I've been wondering whether or not they would go through with some of the bad stuff that happened to Rick throughout this particular arc in the comics, but I can't imagine they would want to doctor up Andrew Lincoln's arm for every episode moving forward. I think this is likely why Hershel lost a limb.

Hey, it's the apocalypse. Standards go down, you know? Besides wouldn't women at this point basically just serve the purpose of carrying the human race forward?

#35 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

All the interesting characters were killed off in the first two years. Even now, the most interesting one left, the preacher, gets his leg bitten off, and looks to be killed off asap. Rick's heel turn has made him more unwatchable. The fact that the notion of the baby being still born and eating its way out of her belly was discussed tonight means it wont actually happen, which is the only interesting thing that could happen to the golden family of the zombie apocalypse this season. The new character, apparently stolen from the cutting room floor of the second Matrix movie, adds a Terranova/Lost season 2 quality to the show... thats an insult. At least Michelle Rodriquez doesn't have a role yet. CarolDaryl is useless. T Dogg hasn't done shit in two seasons. Haven't read the comics, but he must have some really fucking important coming up or theyve kept him around to avoid being called racists.

But:::::::::::::: the action was great. If everyone shuts the fuck up, the interpersonal drama goes away, the whispering scenes with Laurie go away, and we just get pure mystery/thrills/action/adventure, this season will be great.

And I hope Carl gets his. The world is ending, and that girl has the mental capacity of someone his age anyway.

#36 Posted by Bocam (3764 posts) -

Has the Governor showed up yet?

#37 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

@Kombat said:

@EpicSteve said:

I like the group being super capable and confident now. Clearly, the season seems to be stating the dead aren't much of a threat anymore. Carl also got cock-blocked like a motherfucker.

Possessing the knowledge that Beth's actress is a college graduate made all of the weird flirting between she and Carl very awkward.

I've been wondering whether or not they would go through with some of the bad stuff that happened to Rick throughout this particular arc in the comics, but I can't imagine they would want to doctor up Andrew Lincoln's arm for every episode moving forward. I think this is likely why Hershel lost a limb.

How old is Beth's actress? I thought she was younger.

I hope they don't push the Carol's infatuation with Daryl. I would find that even more awkward than pairing Carl with Beth.

#38 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

I gotta say the very beginning before the title screen was super impactful to me. They don't say a word but you know exactly how things went during the winter. Awesome epiosde.

Also lots of video game trailers and I saw one for that run for your lives thing Patrick did

#39 Posted by Patman99 (1593 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

I gotta say the very beginning before the title screen was super impactful to me. They don't say a word but you know exactly how things went during the winter. Awesome epiosde. Also lots of video game trailers and I saw one for that run for your lives thing Patrick did

I agree, that opening scene was great. Everyone just seems tired of it all. I really hope Hershel makes it. He and Glenn are my two favs.

#40 Posted by golguin (3940 posts) -

@Apathylad said:

@Kombat said:

@EpicSteve said:

I like the group being super capable and confident now. Clearly, the season seems to be stating the dead aren't much of a threat anymore. Carl also got cock-blocked like a motherfucker.

Possessing the knowledge that Beth's actress is a college graduate made all of the weird flirting between she and Carl very awkward.

I've been wondering whether or not they would go through with some of the bad stuff that happened to Rick throughout this particular arc in the comics, but I can't imagine they would want to doctor up Andrew Lincoln's arm for every episode moving forward. I think this is likely why Hershel lost a limb.

How old is Beth's actress? I thought she was younger.

I hope they don't push the Carol's infatuation with Daryl. I would find that even more awkward than pairing Carl with Beth.

I'm guessing she's in her late 20's since she graduated from college years ago.

I thought the episode was good, but thanks to the Walking Dead game I don't know how to feel about the show as a whole anymore. It's cool that the old dude got his leg bit and then promptly cut off, but I don't see it holding the same tension as the game where YOU KNOW any character can go at any time. I was watching the characters put in dangerous situations as the prison zombies swarmed and I just felt that things were going to turn out okay. When you play the game you're constantly thinking "Oh god they're gonna die here!" and those fears are usually made real a bit later.

#41 Posted by azrailx (383 posts) -

hershell is the new allen i guess

#42 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

T dog is always good for a laugh. Him being a non-character is a running joke between me and my friends.

Also as someone who disliked most episodes of the last two seasons, I thought this was a good start. Hoping it keeps strong.

#43 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1055 posts) -

@xobballox said:

@Dagbiker said:

  • Hours after unloading massive amounts of ammo into the zombies in the yard, Rick says that they are so low on ammo that they need to clear the prison hand to hand? What?
  • Seconds after hiding from a load of zombies coming from all angles in the hallway, they go out to find not a single zombie still roaming around, only to have the same group of zombies circle around. Where they just doing their rounds?
  • Also silencers, really?

1. Maybe that's precisely why they're now low on ammo. And why wouldn't they use the ammo to clear that prison yard even if they were already short on ammo? It looked like the first safe place to settle down for a while and wait for Lori to have her baby.

2. Agreed, that was kind of weird.

3. Not too hard to come across a silencer in the first place (can buy them at many gun shops,) but those weren't "real" silencers. Rick had a mag-light over his pistol and I couldn't tell what Carl had over his but it definitely didn't look like a silencer. If you're just talking about the use of something to suppress the sound of their weapons, why not?

Not trying to be hostile or a dick, just sharing my views on those points.

Not quite sure but it looks like Carls silencer was made out of a part of a baseball bat.

#44 Posted by DrifterInGreen (49 posts) -

@Apathylad said:

@Kombat said:

Possessing the knowledge that Beth's actress is a college graduate made all of the weird flirting between she and Carl very awkward.

How old is Beth's actress? I thought she was younger.

I hope they don't push the Carol's infatuation with Daryl. I would find that even more awkward than pairing Carl with Beth.

According to IMDB (the Internet Movie Database)

Chandler Riggs (Carl) was born in 1999 where as Emily Kinney (Beth) has apparently at least graduated college, and according to comments in the message boards is around 28 years old, making "Beth" actually around or over twice “Carl’s” age.

In contrast Melissa McBride (Carol) was born in 1965 and Norman Reedus (Daryl) was born in 1969, leaving only a four year difference in their ages.

#45 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

@DrifterInGreen: It's clear that Beth is much younger than 28 in the show, though. I dunno the age difference of Daryl and Carol, but she seems older, having a child around Carl's age.

#46 Edited by myketuna (1710 posts) -

@DrifterInGreen said:

@Apathylad said:

@Kombat said:

Possessing the knowledge that Beth's actress is a college graduate made all of the weird flirting between she and Carl very awkward.

How old is Beth's actress? I thought she was younger.

I hope they don't push the Carol's infatuation with Daryl. I would find that even more awkward than pairing Carl with Beth.

According to IMDB (the Internet Movie Database)

Chandler Riggs (Carl) was born in 1999 where as Emily Kinney (Beth) has apparently at least graduated college, and according to comments in the message boards is around 28 years old, making "Beth" actually around or over twice “Carl’s” age.

In contrast Melissa McBride (Carol) was born in 1965 and Norman Reedus (Daryl) was born in 1969, leaving only a four year difference in their ages.

The character she's playing isn't that old though, right?

Granted, it still is pretty weird that Chandler is so young compared to Emily, but man. He's living my 13-year-old self's dream.

::EDIT::

Figured I should say something about the topic at hand. I thought the first episode was great. Had a little bit of everything and a nice flow to it. Interested where the season goes from here.

#47 Edited by HKZ (70 posts) -

This show has another season now? Wow. I figured AMC would throw the garbage out when it started to attract flies.

#48 Posted by azrailx (383 posts) -

^hyperbole 101

#49 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Stuff happened. I like shows where stuff happen. I was waiting for the first katana to show up. Now I just need a chain saw to appear.

#50 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

So Carol has a personality, finally. Although that personality can basically be summed up as "hot for Daryl and kinda desperate about it", which is fine, as long as it stays a one sided thing.

Carl is now less the idiot son that didn't fall far from the idiot mother's idiot tree and hit all the idiot branches on the way down, and more his father's son, which is a major improvement. He's also hot for the babysitter, which provided some amusement. Again I prefer his feelings not be reciprocated. Also is it just me or did she seem older last season? Having a boyfriend and attempting suicide made her seem more mature, I guess.

T-Dawg still has no personality. But at least he now speaks occasionally. He said some words, right?

Andrea's plot felt a little to disconnected from the rest of the episode, for me. I'd have preferred they left her out of this episode, I think.

I'm so glad Shane is dead.

A good start, but I think I liked last years premier and the pilot better. But that's OK, as long as we don't get the many annoyances that plagued much of last season.

Online