The worst action movie of 2015/2016

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Which action movie was the worst of 2015/2016, for example Spectre 007 was released in cinemas, I saw it, and you know what, I thought the first 20-30 mins were great but the rest of the film was absolutely pants.

Any opinions/review of your worst film of 2015/2016?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I don't think I watched one that was trash.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watched it out of morbid curiosity and because it went up on Netflix so I didn't have to spend any money on it, but Fantastic Four (2015) was probably the worst one I saw in the past two years.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Aren't they all kind of terrible?

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Not really, well... it's your opinion I'm asking for.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steven Seagal released like 5 movies this year but I'm not going to do the work to figure out which was the worst one.

Maybe you're talking about wide release big budget films only, in which case I'm not sure, but if you include direct to streaming and other smaller movies, well, it's almost definitely one of those.

I don't even know who these movies are for. I literally suspect (without any evidence at all, mind you) that there's some kind of money laundering operation or tax credit arbitrage or something else behind them, because they have budgets in at least the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, and they're all unwatchable.

Also did you know that Wild Card was technically written by William Goldman and directed by the director of Con Air? That movie was pretty bad. Probably not the worst over the last 2 years but definitely not good. Jason Statham isn't necessarily past his prime talent wise but he is not getting the roles he used to anymore. The Mechanic is no Chev Chelios!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

For me its a tie between Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad.

Suicide Squad has terrible writing, CG, villains, set pieces, boring action, and it ultimately feels like it was 4 different movies spliced together at the last minute.

Batman vs Superman was tiring, depressing, boring, and laughable at each minute; it is literally the culmination of every person whose had the idea of, "Like, what if comic book movies were, like...SERIOUS, bruh?" Then they gave the film to a person whose only qualification is that he can really frame a scene. I was laughing out loud at the "fight" between Batman and Superman. I really can't talk too much about BvS because my loathe for this movie gets into hyperbolic territory, but it really was the worst movie I paid money to see.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fancyusername: That video is nonsense. First of all, Taken 3 is going for a very different type of action than The Raid 2 is. Secondly, why is quick-cutting necessarily worse than extreme-shake-cam? If you ask me, shake-cam needs to go first. They are both cheap ways to incite thrill and both fall flat for me. Also, if shot length is such a concern to you, you could make the same video comparing The Raid 2 to John Wick and conclude that The Raid 2 is shit. In John Wick the scenes play out and you actually get to see what happens and how skilled the characters are. I'm not saying it's a better action movie, but comparing shot length to make a point is super shallow in this context.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman vs Superman for me

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrainScratch

[insert the name of every super hero movie released in 2015/2016 in here]

If it's a sequel, remake or super hero movie, there's a really big chance that it's probably a bad action movie.

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

London Has Fallen should be up there.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spectre is one of the worst pieces of shit I've seen in a while.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pompouspizza

@dharmabum: I didn't think it was a piece of shit. I'm not going to say it was good...actually it's kind of bad. Some of the places that story goes really rubbed me the wrong way but I wouldn't call it a piece of shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I use to love action movies but they just bore me now. I like mindbender movies these days it's hard for me to sit through a movie these days action movies just don't interest me enough to sit that long.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pompouspizza: I never saw Quantum of Solace but I'd easily call it the worst Craig Bond film. He looks so fucking bored throughout the whole ordeal.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dynamix said:

London Has Fallen should be up there.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: Quantum of Solace is a weaker film overall I think but Spectre is kind of a mess. You are absolutely right, he does look bored out of his mind.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely watch action movies. It has to be really good for me to watch.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It came out in 2014, but Liam Neeson's Non-Stop was bad. I generally will watch any action-'star' vehicle - all of Jason Statham's movies blend into one enormous clobberfest I basically enjoyed, and the same goes for Neeson's movies - but Non-Stop was just boring as hell, totally unoriginal, and completely forgettable.

I would have to say that this goes to Fantastic Four for me, though. I've stopped less than 20 movies in my life, and Fantastic Four is one of them. Stopped it before there was even any fucking action, for that matter.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear to whatever god you believe in that I'm not trying to be cool by having a different opinion than anyone else, but I really disliked Mad Max: Fury Road. It was my first exposure to the Mad Max universe, and I was so disappointed in the setting and the characters. All the villains are the worst inbread, stupid and idiotic characters I've seen on film in a loooong time.

I did like one scene though. The part where Max fights Furiosa while chained to the War Boy. Pretty good.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zevvion

@fancyusername said:

@zevvion: The clip from Taken 3 is 46 seconds long and has 90 cuts, that's less of a stylistic choice and more of a "let's use every bit of coverage available to us" choice. John Wick isn't a Tarkovsky movie, if I were to break down the shot length in the nightclub scene I'd probably get around the same number as the scene from The Raid 2. Both movies have very tight choreography and were most definitely heavily storyboarded before shooting. Even if the scene in Taken 3 has choreography on the same level of John Wick or The Raid 2 I can't tell because the editing is so fast and the cinematography is so reliant on tight close ups and shaky cam. They focused more on getting as much coverage as possible and then figured the scene out in editing instead of coming up with the rhythm and pace of the scene beforehand. If that's the type of action movie you wanna watch then feel free, I ain't stopping you.

I watched all three of these films and liked all three. I did like The Raid 2 and especially John Wick better, but I wouldn't say Taken 3 is incompetent. The Raid 2 also uses heavy shake cam which is what makes me not take your criticism too seriously. It's such a cheap and honestly lazy technique. You're trying to make something look more intense because your actual stuntwork would not reflect that.

To be clear, I really like The Raid 2, but as far as I can tell you dislike Taken 3 because it's not of the same ilk as The Raid 2 is. Action movies can go for different things. I would argue quick cuts are more of a stylistic choice than shake cam is.

@bojackhorseman I thought Mad Max was boring as hell. But I'm not above admitting I was expecting something else from it than it was which maybe jaded my experience. Also, that movie probably just is nothing for me.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: it's kind of sad that you feel like you need to qualify that statement but I totally get why you felt the need, I would too. I adored Fury Road but I really didn't enjoy the old Mad Max movies. The only one I haven't seen is the third one.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By odinsmana

@zevvion said:
@fancyusername said:

@zevvion: The clip from Taken 3 is 46 seconds long and has 90 cuts, that's less of a stylistic choice and more of a "let's use every bit of coverage available to us" choice. John Wick isn't a Tarkovsky movie, if I were to break down the shot length in the nightclub scene I'd probably get around the same number as the scene from The Raid 2. Both movies have very tight choreography and were most definitely heavily storyboarded before shooting. Even if the scene in Taken 3 has choreography on the same level of John Wick or The Raid 2 I can't tell because the editing is so fast and the cinematography is so reliant on tight close ups and shaky cam. They focused more on getting as much coverage as possible and then figured the scene out in editing instead of coming up with the rhythm and pace of the scene beforehand. If that's the type of action movie you wanna watch then feel free, I ain't stopping you.

I watched all three of these films and liked all three. I did like The Raid 2 and especially John Wick better, but I wouldn't say Taken 3 is incompetent. The Raid 2 also uses heavy shake cam which is what makes me not take your criticism too seriously. It's such a cheap and honestly lazy technique. You're trying to make something look more intense because your actual stuntwork would not reflect that.

To be clear, I really like The Raid 2, but as far as I can tell you dislike Taken 3 because it's not of the same ilk as The Raid 2 is. Action movies can go for different things. I would argue quick cuts are more of a stylistic choice than shake cam is.

@bojackhorseman I thought Mad Max was boring as hell. But I'm not above admitting I was expecting something else from it than it was which maybe jaded my experience. Also, that movie probably just is nothing for me.

I will preface this by saying that I have not seen Taken 3 and can`t comment on the quality of that movie.

I would argue that both quick cuts and shaky cam is something that has been both overused and used badly in a lot of action movies, but I think both can be really effective when used well. In my opinion the thing that makes most uses of shakycam in movies bad is that it`s really excessive and mixed with quick cuts (and add to that sometimes bad choreography and cinematography) and the end result is that it`s just hard to see what`s going on. With the Raid they have clear and long shots so I can still see what`s going on and apreciate the really great choreography and stunts that movie has. I also feel that it adds to the "feel" of that movie. The action in both Raid movies is "filthy" (for lack of a better word) whereas most action movies (especially hollywood) normally has "clean" action (sorry if this didn`t make any sense). I don`t think on is inherently better than the other, but I prefer the "filthy" action over the "clean" and the shaky cam can help with that feel I think (in the particular scene in the video it`s maybe bordering on a bit much).

For reference another example of what i would consider "filthy" action is the Oldboy hallway fight.