dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By dbz1995

What is 'The Zone'?

'The Zone' is a phrase I use commonly when speaking my native language, playing piano or playing games. It is basically a phase you go into when doing these things where everything you do becomes second nature. Your fingers, or your mouth, or your feet have a mind of their own, but try and interrupt it, and you fall out of 'The Zone', normally losing focus and making a mistake of some kind.
 Let's put this into some perspective. You are playing Modern Warfare 2 (or BFBC2 for those people saying 'haha! Why the hell would I play that shit!') and you see a guy. You shoot him and he dies. Did you think before pressing the R1/Right Trigger button? Did you aim? Did you think? 'The Zone' controls you here, like Soviet Russia would. 

Who has 'The Zone'?

First off, that is what I want to find out. I know I get 'The Zone', but whether that is a good thing or not we will find out. My belief is that by practising, you gain your inner self, you inner Zone. And it is he, not you, who plays the game, or kicks the ball, or does the test. 

When does 'The Zone' occur?

Again, it depends. If you play something non-stop, you'll eventually get into 'The Zone' whenever you play it. However, the first time you do something, chances are there won't be a 'Zone'. The 'Zone' has to establish a variety of things, such as:

• The boundaries, the rules
  • The set thing you wish to do
  • How you do it

Is 'The Zone' a good thing?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I mean, having the ability to do something absent-mindedly helps your reaction time for the specific thing that 'The Zone' does. No need to think, you'll shoot and aim automatically.
 However, there are a lot of problems with 'The Zone'. Probably the largest one is the fact that 'the Zone' isn't adaptable. The Zone will only work one way-like a robot. Let's say you make a robot run from A to B, where A to B is a straight line. Now, if a wall is suddenly formed between A and B, the robot, unless programmed, will not be able to get round the wall. And here is the problem with 'The Zone'.
 Another problem? It is hard to alter a phase of 'The Zone'. Let's say you play the piano, and you play a song. After playing it for one year, you find out that one note is different. Everytime you play that song, you have to ensure that that note is correct. If you think about it too much, you will never reach the complete tranquility required to enter 'The Zone', but don't think about it at all and you'll just play the wrong note.

OH SHI...What do I do?

There are remedies to the problems of 'The Zone'. Whilst it is difficult to change things within 'The Zone', it is NOT difficult to add things in. Again, use the analogy of Modern Warfare 2. You shoot everybody and you run out of ammo. What do you do? The best thing you can do is get a gun from a fallen enemy or comrade. By doing this a number of times, it should become programmed into your 'Zone'. Essentially that is what Modern Warfare competitive battling is-the effeciency and strategy of your 'Zone'. Obviously everybody will have different Zones, either to counteract the faults of the weapon used like recoil (shooting less bullets in a row) or large reload time (find a place to hide). 

So, basically, 'The Zone' is a very intriguing thing. Maybe you haven't thought about it before, maybe I'm just crazy or demented or enlightened with 'the Zone'. But to understand 'The Zone' is like understanding hitboxes in Street Fighter. It will help you with the basic background of your hobby to make you more effecient. To become a better SF player, you might want to know about hitboxes-the same way that you should find out your own Zone and make it a perfect cog within your engine.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dbz1995

What is 'The Zone'?

'The Zone' is a phrase I use commonly when speaking my native language, playing piano or playing games. It is basically a phase you go into when doing these things where everything you do becomes second nature. Your fingers, or your mouth, or your feet have a mind of their own, but try and interrupt it, and you fall out of 'The Zone', normally losing focus and making a mistake of some kind.
 Let's put this into some perspective. You are playing Modern Warfare 2 (or BFBC2 for those people saying 'haha! Why the hell would I play that shit!') and you see a guy. You shoot him and he dies. Did you think before pressing the R1/Right Trigger button? Did you aim? Did you think? 'The Zone' controls you here, like Soviet Russia would. 

Who has 'The Zone'?

First off, that is what I want to find out. I know I get 'The Zone', but whether that is a good thing or not we will find out. My belief is that by practising, you gain your inner self, you inner Zone. And it is he, not you, who plays the game, or kicks the ball, or does the test. 

When does 'The Zone' occur?

Again, it depends. If you play something non-stop, you'll eventually get into 'The Zone' whenever you play it. However, the first time you do something, chances are there won't be a 'Zone'. The 'Zone' has to establish a variety of things, such as:

• The boundaries, the rules
  • The set thing you wish to do
  • How you do it

Is 'The Zone' a good thing?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I mean, having the ability to do something absent-mindedly helps your reaction time for the specific thing that 'The Zone' does. No need to think, you'll shoot and aim automatically.
 However, there are a lot of problems with 'The Zone'. Probably the largest one is the fact that 'the Zone' isn't adaptable. The Zone will only work one way-like a robot. Let's say you make a robot run from A to B, where A to B is a straight line. Now, if a wall is suddenly formed between A and B, the robot, unless programmed, will not be able to get round the wall. And here is the problem with 'The Zone'.
 Another problem? It is hard to alter a phase of 'The Zone'. Let's say you play the piano, and you play a song. After playing it for one year, you find out that one note is different. Everytime you play that song, you have to ensure that that note is correct. If you think about it too much, you will never reach the complete tranquility required to enter 'The Zone', but don't think about it at all and you'll just play the wrong note.

OH SHI...What do I do?

There are remedies to the problems of 'The Zone'. Whilst it is difficult to change things within 'The Zone', it is NOT difficult to add things in. Again, use the analogy of Modern Warfare 2. You shoot everybody and you run out of ammo. What do you do? The best thing you can do is get a gun from a fallen enemy or comrade. By doing this a number of times, it should become programmed into your 'Zone'. Essentially that is what Modern Warfare competitive battling is-the effeciency and strategy of your 'Zone'. Obviously everybody will have different Zones, either to counteract the faults of the weapon used like recoil (shooting less bullets in a row) or large reload time (find a place to hide). 

So, basically, 'The Zone' is a very intriguing thing. Maybe you haven't thought about it before, maybe I'm just crazy or demented or enlightened with 'the Zone'. But to understand 'The Zone' is like understanding hitboxes in Street Fighter. It will help you with the basic background of your hobby to make you more effecient. To become a better SF player, you might want to know about hitboxes-the same way that you should find out your own Zone and make it a perfect cog within your engine.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dbz1995

And now I am done.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

wut  

i don't get what's going on here duder 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

No Caption Provided
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Hehe, i understand what your saying sort of ^_^

I get into the zone alot, but if i get distracted by whatever happens in the game, i can panic, screw up and fall out of the zone.

No Caption Provided

I'm in the Zone.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

* turns on music* Oh, I know what you're talking about, I've been in the zone before. Last time was when I was writing my FF13 review.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

This isn't someway related tooo Zone of The Enders is it? ;P. 

And you play piano?? Noice 8).
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By hondorondo

The zone doesnt exist cause there is no free will that controls the individual. In other words... the zone is just the illusionary experience of causation. It is an illusionary acceptence of what is and recognition that there is no-one in charge and nothing to change.
Society seems to seperate the conscious from the unconscious(=here: subconsious),  but actually there is no difference because thoughts arise without any previous selection. And if there was a selection, it was made by the unconscious. 
So to make it more clear, if thoughts that arise as conscious are selected by the unconscious, thoughts are in reality a form that belongs to the unconsious and appear just in the conscious. 
So either you admit that there is no seperation between unconscious and conscious and so loose the transition from the zone to the non-zone, or you say there is the conscious and thoughts but the thoughts are selected by the unconscious, which makes the conscious to solely to an observer/perceiver.

Its similiar to the act of learning something by-heart. You sit down and read the poem (whatever you learn) again and again and pray to an "esoteric-god" that he will take this ideas and glue to your memory. There is actually no conscious selection of what will be memorized and how good it will be memorized, and just a hoping/praying to "esoteric god" that you read that poem often enough for its memorization. 
 Actually there isnt even an conscious decision making of you sitting down and reading the poem cause, as I mentioned before, thoughts arise in the conscious but are not selected by it. Even if you now say "Thats not true, I have a choice between 100 decisions and I consciously think about every one and then choose" I have to oppose your idea by asking "But who selected that limited amount of 100 decisions? And if the unconsious selected that limited amount of 100 decisions from which you seem to choose one, why didnt the unconscious  just offer you only one decision?  I mean the descriptive thoughts for every decision are also sponsored by the unconsious and your decision making process depend on the comparison of this information which result could have already been achieved by the unconsious. 

So, because of the problem of no-purpose of "consious decisions" it would make more sense in just admiting there is no difference between unconsious and conscious and no individual who is doing anything.

Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I NEVER got into the zone even if play the game for a loooooooooong time!

lukeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By lukeyk

I understand what your talking about, I rarely get into the zone when playing games as their is way too many distractions for me and living with 5 other people, but I still understand.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I think we have competing thoughts in us that make us able to adapt to complex situations but that thwart our simple abilities.  While some people have better ability to concentrate than others, I think with practice you can sort of manage it.  It's kind of rewarding when you get there, it's a bit like getting the brain cleaned, but I think there's a reason we aren't there all the time.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By SumDeus

When I play games and I'm not in "The Zone" I get in the "I'm playing like shit so don't come near me because I'm pissed off".