• 80 results
#1 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

OK people, this is driving me crazy, it's time you learn the difference between then and than.

Then is used in setting out a sequence of events. For example, "I read about 8 topics today where people misused the word 'than' instead of 'then', then my head exploded."

It can also be used to indicate an effect of a cause. For example, "If people knew how to use 'then' and 'than' properly, then I wouldn't have had to make this thread."

Than is used to compare things. For example "I would rather pour battery acid into my eyes than read another topic in which the majority of people don't know how to use 'then' and 'than'."

Got it?

#2 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3362 posts) -

Are you by any chance CM Punk?

#3 Edited by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -
#4 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

I am not CM Punk but it seems we share a common hatred for misuse of basic grammar.

#5 Posted by groin (846 posts) -

your an idiot than

#6 Posted by Brendan (7805 posts) -

This mistake sometimes happens to me as a consequence of typing something out on my phone. I usually do a quick proofread and edit after I post but sometimes I miss it.

#7 Posted by StarvingGamer (8229 posts) -

"YEA" not "YAY"

#8 Posted by MormonWarrior (2590 posts) -

How about people finally learn the difference between loose and lose? I've seen professional articles misusing "loose" recently and it's making me bonkers.

#9 Edited by believer258 (11897 posts) -

This one doesn't bother me as much as spelling "definitely" as "defiantly". How the hell do you make that mistake, anyway? I'm looking at a keyboard and I just don't see how that's possible. And the latter is a DIFFERENT. FUCKING. WORD.

#10 Edited by White (1347 posts) -

Want some advice on how to advise people? Don't.

Us grammar nazi(s) (what's plural for Nazi?) are a minority. The majority doesn't give a shit as long as the meaning was conveyed, spelling/usage be damned.

#11 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

Well than...

#12 Posted by Coafi (1488 posts) -

This one doesn't bother me as much as spelling "definitely" as "defiantly". How the hell do you make that mistake, anyway? I'm looking at a keyboard and I just don't see how that's possible. And the latter is a DIFFERENT. FUCKING. WORD.

I defiantly get you, duder.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10999 posts) -
#14 Posted by wjb (1661 posts) -

@brendan said:

This mistake sometimes happens to me as a consequence of typing something out on my phone. I usually do a quick proofread and edit after I post but sometimes I miss it.

I try not to get on anyone's case unless it's constant and blatant. I'm good 99% of the time, but a few weeks ago, I remember I typed a post just like this and took 20 seconds to figure out if I should have been saying "than" or "then" in the sentence.

It happens, people.

#15 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

wats grammer

#16 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

How about people finally learn the difference between loose and lose? I've seen professional articles misusing "loose" recently and it's making me bonkers.

Yeah I think I saw one on techradar about the Oculus Rift that made that mistake, I was all like "really? Really techradar? Come on."

#17 Posted by TheHT (11240 posts) -

if you're got a problem with that, than you should do some thing about it than.

#18 Posted by RonGalaxy (3165 posts) -

This is just silly.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm more concerned with how people can't keep their はs and がs straight. IT'S NOT THAT HARD, PEOPLE. GOD!

#20 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

You should of thinked about it more good before creating dis topic, because you look like your all grammer nazi's. Ill write how I want 'till the end of time.

#21 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

As long as the text legible, and it conveys what the writer is trying to say with clarity, then I don't care if anyone makes small grammar or spelling mistakes.

#22 Edited by Superkenon (1430 posts) -
#23 Edited by RonGalaxy (3165 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

You should of thinked about it more good before creating dis topic, because you look like your all grammer nazi's. Ill write how I want 'till the end of time.

your are a freedom figther.

#24 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3309 posts) -

Giving grammar advice on the internet is the most pathetic and egotistical of all posts.

#25 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1971 posts) -

@geraltitude: I'm sorry if you think expecting people to utilise knowledge gained in god damn elementary school is egotistical.

I mean this is BASIC grammar, it's not one of those weird parts of the English language like not using an apostrophe on 'its' when using it as a possessive pronoun because 'it's' can only mean 'it is'.

#26 Posted by believer258 (11897 posts) -

This is just silly.

When the issue pops up in articles that people get paid for or in essays that students - even college students - write, then it's not silly at all.

On a forum? Yeah, it is silly to complain about grammar issues. It's a quick forum post. No one cares, though you should still put some effort into making it decent. Not perfect, just decent. These grammar mistakes come from not trying at all in your informal writing. It starts to seep into any formal writing that you might have to do. When you do give some sort of effort, good grammar eventually becomes completely natural and you have to try to make it look bad. Why not go for that?

I think that putting an effort into making your communication look decent is pretty important. No, I'm not going to say that making simple, small mistakes like the one the OP mentions is actually bad or even noteworthy. But the way that most people in this thread have reacted to it, and the way that most future posts will react to it, is just sad. It's sad because you don't seem to care at all about what is arguably humanity's most important tool - communication.

So yeah. Sue me for caring.

#27 Edited by EthanML (455 posts) -

What? I can honestly say I've never encountered this. Does sound baffling though. Still not as bad as the rampant usage of 'literally'.

#28 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1592 posts) -

"Affect"/"effect" mix-ups are a recurring pet peeve of mine. "Affect" is always a verb, and in most cases "effect" is a noun.

#29 Posted by CaLe (3982 posts) -

This is the only grammatical mistake that bothers me at all. You can mess up your your/you're and there's/theirs all day long for all I care, but seriously, how can you not know the difference between then and than? I'll never understand it.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#31 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

hahahaha

welcome to the internet

i look forward to your next thread, titled "could of, would of, should of"

#32 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I'm more concerned with their and there.

It seems some people just love pick up that homophone. If you know what I mean. What I mean is, they really like to talk to other men. On the homophone. If you catch my meaning.

#33 Posted by diz (918 posts) -

My peeves are people who write "I could care less" when they mean they "couldn't care less". People who use "addicting" rather than "addictive" also get my goat, as are people starting topics and sentences with "So...".

#34 Posted by RonGalaxy (3165 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

This is just silly.

When the issue pops up in articles that people get paid for or in essays that students - even college students - write, then it's not silly at all.

On a forum? Yeah, it is silly to complain about grammar issues. It's a quick forum post. No one cares, though you should still put some effort into making it decent. Not perfect, just decent. These grammar mistakes come from not trying at all in your informal writing. It starts to seep into any formal writing that you might have to do. When you do give some sort of effort, good grammar eventually becomes completely natural and you have to try to make it look bad. Why not go for that?

I think that putting an effort into making your communication look decent is pretty important. No, I'm not going to say that making simple, small mistakes like the one the OP mentions is actually bad or even noteworthy. But the way that most people in this thread have reacted to it, and the way that most future posts will react to it, is just sad. It's sad because you don't seem to care at all about what is arguably humanity's most important tool - communication.

So yeah. Sue me for caring.

uhh, okay...

#35 Posted by joshwent (2199 posts) -

@grissefar: Don't forget "they're".

And to people who think correcting grammar is dumb. Well, you sound dumb when you use improper grammar. So at least we're all dumb than.

#36 Posted by johnny961 (53 posts) -

It is a reflection of the us educational system and the youth work ethic of the 21st century. It sucks!!!

#37 Edited by Zelyre (1193 posts) -

Easy way to remember which then/than to use.

If you're talking about something that is taking place in time, then is the word you want to use. Then has an E, just like epoch. An epoch is a moment in time. Or, a time machine from Chrono Trigger.

#38 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Just let it go, man. It's a losing battle. People on the internet are terrible for so many reasons, and this is just one of the smaller ones.

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

your are a freedom figther.

Im 3edgey5u, man!

#40 Posted by Superkenon (1430 posts) -
#41 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

"Affect"/"effect" mix-ups are a recurring pet peeve of mine. "Affect" is always a verb, and in most cases "effect" is a noun.

I'm guilty of this. Really need to think for a bit of which to properly use.

#42 Edited by chiablo (929 posts) -

#43 Posted by Random45 (1196 posts) -

What annoys me the most is when people get there, their and they're messed up.

#44 Posted by Zeik (2423 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

"YEA" not "YAY"

As someone with a personal stake in this I will agree wholeheartedly.

#45 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6188 posts) -
#46 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5479 posts) -

If I were to let every grammar error on the internet get me upset I would've gone crazy years ago. Thanks for the lesson though. I honestly hope some people were able to take away something positive from this.

#47 Edited by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

I've always taught that "thAn is for compAring, thEn tells you whEn."

EDIT:

@white said:

Want some advice on how to advise people? Don't.

Us grammar nazi(s) (what's plural for Nazi?) are a minority. The majority doesn't give a shit as long as the meaning was conveyed, spelling/usage be damned.

That's why nearly all of my Wiki editing time is taken by fixing others' mistakes. Also, we grammar nazis are the minority.

#48 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Could you please put these both in a sentence so that I may learn more of this phenomena

#49 Edited by Petiew (1347 posts) -

Honestly I could care less. Grammer nazis like you are a diamond dozen. Lets all stop replying and let this thread RIP in peace.

#50 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@rollingzeppelin: You seem to be under the impression that English is everyone's first language.