#1 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

Anybody ever think about how the only thing time is, is a measuring tool?

The only reason it exists is cause all elements corrode....

My brain goes to weird places trying to picture a life without time....

Its just this made up tool that gives us direction and a sense of place.

Man I must look at the clock a thousand times a day.....it seems silly

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Isn't it more a tool for contextualizing change? That's a more neutral term than you're going for.

#3 Posted by RubberFactory (288 posts) -

That's deep.

#4 Posted by TheHT (11492 posts) -

Decay requires time.

#5 Posted by Sterling (2439 posts) -

Earth Has 4 Days In Same 24 Hrs., 1 Day God Was Wrong.

Einstein Was ONEist Brain.

Try My Belly-Button Logic.

No God Knows About 4 Days, It Is Evil To Ignore 4 Days,

Does Your Teacher Know ?

Uneducated masses need read timecube.com

#6 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Isn't it more a tool for contextualizing change? That's a more neutral term than you're going for.

hmmmm I don't know. I don't think so. Change has many paths and isn't consistent. Except to say that change itself is consistent. But life, matter, all has a beginning and an end. That is absolute. I think that's what time measures. The

beginning and end of things.....

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9741 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ:

Stoned, high school student, or taking a philosophy class. Which one is it?

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ said:

But life, matter, all has a beginning and an end. That is absolute.

But in order for that to be true, there must be a change from beginning to middle and middle to end, meaning that change is present and, accepting your previous logic, absolute.

#9 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@ShenaniganZ:

Stoned, high school student, or taking a philosophy class. Which one is it?

ha! neither. I just get bored at work and my mind wanders.

#10 Posted by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

I always think of the concept of forever, and it makes me feel sick inside. It's actually kind of a relief for me not to believe in an afterlife.

#11 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

You posted this topic 7 minutes ago...

I read it one minute ago...

My interest has decayed....

Whoa...

#12 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ShenaniganZ said:

But in order for that to be true, there must be a change from beginning to middle and middle to end, meaning that change is present and, accepting your previous logic, absolute.

Maybe. But life and matter have to exist for change to be present. And the act of life or matter coming into being is change in itself.......hmmm so change is absolute. I like saying things are absolute. Good word.

#13 Posted by TheHT (11492 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ: Only a sith deals in absolutes.

#14 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

well if you put the time of the earth (4.6 billion years) in a 12 hour time scale, humans have only been around for 2 seconds

#15 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

I always think of the concept of forever, and it makes me feel sick inside. It's actually kind of a relief for me not to believe in an afterlife.

Yeah I don't believe in an afterlife either. I used to be in a youth group when I was a kid and the pastor told me that heaven was a place where everyone was just happy, all the time. I told him that doesn't make any sense. He just told me that's why they call it faith....that's when I knew religion was not for me.

#16 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

@TheHT said:

indeed.

#17 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Time is a thing, right? Weather we ignore it or not it is there. Time may be abstract but it is influences everything.

#18 Posted by august (3852 posts) -

I poop too much.

#19 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Time is a thing, right? Weather we ignore it or not it is there. Time may be abstract but it is influences everything.

I don't know. I've heard scientists say that we are moving forward through time....

#20 Posted by Andorski (5341 posts) -

Well, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious shit.

#21 Posted by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Yeah I don't believe in an afterlife either. I used to be in a youth group when I was a kid and the pastor told me that heaven was a place where everyone was just happy, all the time. I told him that doesn't make any sense. He just told me that's why they call it faith....that's when I knew religion was not for me.

I quit religion when I saw my next door neighbors (who were good friends at the time) ex-communicate with their friend (a mutual friend of ours as well) and basically disgraced him and caused him to move out of the city, simply because he revealed he was gay and they couldn't take it due to their devout Catholicism.

Plus, the stories told in the Bible are so far-fetched it's ridiculous to me that anybody believes them at all.

#22 Posted by captain_clayman (3325 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

same here! to me, doing anything forever will eventually become hell. whether it's burning forever, or being in paradise and lazing around forever. it's the worst.

#23 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!

#24 Posted by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

@jsnyder82 said:

same here! to me, doing anything forever will eventually become hell. whether it's burning forever, or being in paradise and lazing around forever. it's the worst.

Right. When I lay my head down for the last time, I want that to be it. The end. Nothingness. Basically how it was before I was born.

#25 Posted by ShenaniganZ (65 posts) -

I'm going to go play some Kingdoms of Amular before I hit the sack. Thanks for the chat. Especially

@august said:

I poop too much.

#26 Posted by TruthTellah (9291 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ: Consider this: all of time is speeding up.

Scientists in the early-1900s showed that time isn't an absolute; it's relative. And it's constantly changing. The only absolute is change, not time.

#27 Edited by TruthTellah (9291 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Sounds less like a terrible reality of eternity and more like a lack of imagination. To our limited visions, eternity may sound tiring, like a child thinking about the weight of a full lifetime ahead of them, but if there truly is eternity, there are infinite possibilities for all we might do in that time. And that's quite an intriguing proposition.

#28 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Dude...what if everyone sees colours differently, but we name them all the same because they correspond to eachother...woaaahhhhh

#29 Posted by believer258 (11979 posts) -

, remember when you mentioned black holes and teenage poems earlier today? Yeah...

#30 Edited by pyrodactyl (2167 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ:

1-Are you high?

2-Your first post would be great to start a philosophical conversation but

3-Science (particularly modern physics) has shown that time is not an independant unit. It's in fact directly linked to space (length units) and they form the space-time continuum which is the fabric that holds the universe together. So no, it's not just measuring tool.

Also,

@TheHumanDove said:

Dude...what if everyone sees colours differently, but we name them all the same because they correspond to eachother...woaaahhhhh

Always wondered if that was a real thing or could be proven wrong. Anyone knows?

#31 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -
#32 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

@kermoosh said:

well if you put the time of the earth (4.6 billion years) in a 12 hour time scale, humans have only been around for 2 seconds

wut r u talkin bout man? earth is totes only like 5000 years old

#33 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Time is literally a dimension in physical space that we perceive differently than the other dimensions (x, y & z axis). Relativity explains this pretty well, but it's a real mid fuck.

#34 Posted by Flappy (2296 posts) -

Whaaaaaaat the fuzz did I just stumble upon? Thank you.

#35 Posted by grimmspectre18 (70 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ: Interesting thought but aren't you concerned the time you've spent thinking about it, then sharing it with us is now gone forever. You've begun a tragic consecutive sympathetic time burn. Essentially you've yawned and now we have. Now I've perpetuated the the cycle. Shit we're Time-Vampires.

#36 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Always wondered if that was a real thing or could be proven wrong. Anyone knows?

It's sort of feasible to swish around since color isn't contained in EM radiation itself but produced by its interaction with the light-processing cells in your eyes, but considering that all people--barring those with vision problems--see blue and can confirm it as blue to one another, I don't see how it would be possible that we're all convening on the same definitions by chance or relativism. Blue is blue.

#37 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2022 posts) -

@ShenaniganZ said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@ShenaniganZ said:

Maybe. But life and matter have to exist for change to be present. And the act of life or matter coming into being is change in itself.......hmmm so change is absolute. I like saying things are absolute. Good word.

Not true, change can be present without life or matter. Energy can change from one state to another without the existence of either.

Props for creating an actually interesting topic, something quite rare these days unfortunately.

#38 Posted by TruthTellah (9291 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@TheHumanDove said:

It's a real thing. Color is your brain's interpretation of wavelengths of light, plus input from your other senses. Since every brain and set of eyes is unique, everyone sees color in a unique way.

Now, color is an actual measurable thing, but it doesn't mean our imperfect, unique human eyes can truly perceive color without it being a little bit different from the next. It is unclear how wide the differences are person to person, but people generally agree on established wavelengths. For some, such as those with color blindness, the difference is more pronounced, to the extent that it is measurable.

Though the difference is usually negligible in the grand scheme of things, you could say that every person perceives the world in a slightly different way.

#39 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

What if time itself has slowly sped up/slowed down over the course of history and what is 1 second for us was like 10 seconds for the people who occupied this planet 10,000 years ago?

#40 Edited by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -

There is no

just

#41 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

@fisher81 said:

@kermoosh said:

wut r u talkin bout man? earth is totes only like 5000 years old

for Christians the earth is 4016 years. sorry this is the two things i learned from geology class :)

#42 Posted by Sanity (1937 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

Indeed, cus id get board of Skyrim in Eternity.

#43 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Whoa. That's some fucking transcendental shit, man.

#44 Posted by Draugen (663 posts) -

Ti-i-i-ime is on my si-ide....

#45 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

There is time, and it marches on mercilessly and relentlessly, with no regard for life or sentience (the very basis of your post). Time cares not what you think of it, and it will be here long after we're all gone, just as it was here long before us, in times of decay and flourishing alike. Stuff doesn't just happen. It happens in time, which is a fundamental universal concept and rule, not just some made up thing to measure the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the Sun. Sure, we've expanded and expounded upon this, and simplified it to define our existence in relation to the Sun, but time is so much greater and more fundamental than that. People are out of touch with time and its true meaning and roots. This is obvious and apparent in anyone who thinks of the Sun as 'rising' in the morning and 'setting' in the evening, and never looks at it any deeper than that, as if the Sun is providing a consistent and dependable regulating service to us. The Sun isn't doing a damn thing here. It's the Earth rotating.

/random musings

#46 Posted by Jolt92 (1558 posts) -
#47 Posted by McHampton (65 posts) -

"Seriousness, young man, is an accident of time. It consists, I don't mind telling you in confidence, in putting too high a value on time. I, too, once put too high a value on time. For that reason I wished to be 100 years old. In Eternity, however, there is no time, you see. Eternity is a mere moment, just long enough for a joke."

Thas' all I got.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -
@ShenaniganZ said:

@TheHT said:

indeed.

I concur.