• 118 results
#1 Edited by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

Not sure how many giantbombers are on the east coast but just want to tell you guys to be safe, stay indoors, and keep your shit together. Just in case this thing goes fucking crazy and we up in over our heads (quite literally).

Be safe everyone! And now a scene to make this all a big circle like a horrible climax to a storyline.

#2 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@Caelum89: I'm all up-ons the east coast. Word is the storm won't hit us, being in Massachusetts. But, it's looking like rain. I've still got my hopes up, since I might be able to miss class and work tomorrow, maybe stay in and play some vidya games hallowsweenenstyle.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm on the west coast. It's been raining a little but no storm. So ha!

#4 Edited by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp: Yeah, I'm in MA as well. Hoping to keep my shit from flooding since I live in a basement apartment, though I doubt that'll happen. Just want these guys to know what's up just in case they haven't had their ears to the ground, ya know?

@SexyToad said:

I'm on the west coast. It's been raining a little but no storm. So ha!

Well fuck your shit.

#5 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Caelum89: I'm all up-ons the east coast. Word is the storm won't hit us, being in Massachusetts. But, it's looking like rain. I've still got my hopes up, since I might be able to miss class and work tomorrow, maybe stay in and play some vidya games hallowsweenenstyle.

I'm in Mass too and I'm really hoping it ends up being yet another storm over-hyped by the media. I'm going to a show at the garden on Halloween and that shit better fucking not get cancelled.

#6 Edited by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

live dead center in Pennsylvania, so I'll be getting hit pretty hard. I walked over to Wal-Mart earlier this morning only to find it looking like a skeleton. I've lived in Tornado Alley/Florida during some pretty horrid crap, so this is mainly going to be a inconvenience. I'm just glad I live in a nice area where tree's are the only thing I need to worry about. Also, you never know, the damn thing might just go putt-putt as soon as it hits the coast - like most Hurricanes tend to do.

@SexyToad: I don't like your new icon.

#7 Posted by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic: We shouldn't really get that much bullshit (50-60 million affected is very much over exaggerated imo) even if it isn't over-hyped.

#8 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@Caelum89: Have you had issues with flooding before? I honestly don't think it'll be so bad that it'll cause a basement to flood, especially if you've got a sub pump working (and the power doesn't go out). But, from the weather reports I've looked at, it's gonna be rainy and a little windy, gusts up to like... 50 mph max? But, who knows!

@Everyones_A_Critic: I mean if it is bad, I doubt it'll bleed over to halloween, at least... IT BETTER FUCKING NOT. I don't want a repeat of last year where some folks in my town were without power for a fucking week.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

In PA here less worried about rain more worried about the potential 2 FEET of snow we might get. That's like zero to sixty on snowfall man. It was just 70 degrees last week! Well see though.

#10 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

News reporting about 400.000 people is going to be evacuated from New York is this true? I support the good luck and stay safe message.

#11 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

Sounds like it's just going to be windy up here in NS.

#12 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

Nothing exciting ever happens here.. Sucks.

#13 Posted by YI_Orange (1123 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp: That was fucking terrible. We had to buy a generator. I'm hoping it's juuuuust bad enough to cancel class on monday.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@ck1nd

live dead center in Pennsylvania, so I'll be getting hit pretty hard. I walked over to Wal-Mart earlier this morning only to find it looking like a skeleton. I've lived in Tornado Alley/Florida during some pretty horrid crap, so this is mainly going to be a inconvenience. I'm just glad I live in a nice area where tree's are the only thing I need to worry about. Also, you never know, the damn thing might just go putt-putt as soon as it hits the coast - like most Hurricanes tend to do.

I concur. That toad is not "sexy" a all.
#15 Edited by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Caelum89: Have you had issues with flooding before? I honestly don't think it'll be so bad that it'll cause a basement to flood, especially if you've got a sub pump working (and the power doesn't go out). But, from the weather reports I've looked at, it's gonna be rainy and a little windy, gusts up to like... 50 mph max? But, who knows!

To be quite honest I just moved here, which is why I'm watching the storm so tentatively, but I can say I'm pretty high up for a basement apartment and I doubt anything too bad will happen because of the lack of trees and the like. New Bedford is near the coast though I'm nowhere close to immediate danger. I should be fine, and if not I guess I'll be surfing some tubular waves?

@Demoskinos:

As a guy who used to live in the south and then moved up here to the north 5-6 years ago, 2 feet of snow ain't that bad. Trust me, 2 years ago we had some seriously bad snow storms up here.

#16 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@Caelum89: oh man New Bedford? well if it does hit you'll probably get some of the worst of it, most likely. Not a bad place to live otherwise though, as long as you don't mind whaling!

@YI_Orange: We can only sacrifice a goat to the rain gods for ample saturation and do a dance to appease the wind gods that they may lay their vengeance upon us!

#17 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4247 posts) -

I'm up in central Maryland and, for better or worse, I'm not too worried. I just want it to be over so the damn news stops acting like it's the apocalypse. Only thing I'm actually concerned about is the inevitable power outages and Pepco's "we make glaciers look like supersonic jets" response time. The main reason is because my boredom tolerance is like 5 minutes tops. Anything longer than that and I start contemplating ways to knock myself out for days at a time. Luckily, I have a ton of books I haven't read to I won't be too bored during the day, but at night, I think I'm going to drive myself insane. Most people would say, "just read using candlelight" which I would have to reply, "have you ever read by candlelight? It fucking sucks."

#18 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Everyones_A_Critic: I mean if it is bad, I doubt it'll bleed over to halloween, at least... IT BETTER FUCKING NOT. I don't want a repeat of last year where some folks in my town were without power for a fucking week.

You mean a sump pump?

#19 Posted by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp: Maybe, I'm not too concerned, I'm taking it in strides, really.

@BabyChooChoo: Same. My main fear is not having shit to do since my job is online and that's my main way to communicate. Unfortunate as it is.

#20 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ck1nd

I concur. That toad is not "sexy" a all.

I will only be ZombieToad for Halloween! Afterwards it's back to normal SexyToad.

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@Caelum89 Oh its not the end of the world or anything but some people around here lose their damn minds over this stuff. Also PENNDOT is fucking useless at clearing the roads so the less snow the better.
#22 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

I'm just glad I live in a nice area where tree's are the only thing I need to worry about.

Only thing I have to worry about in wonderful Reno is an early frost. We don't have as many trees as the east coast, but Tahoe is 40 minutes away...I love it so hard.

#23 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

I am securely in the upper midwest of wisconsin, so I should be fine, but yeah, I have heard that it is looking pretty bad. Good luck. Just watch Alexis' and Drew's 24-hour Halo 1-2-3 run!

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Stay safe guys!

#25 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

Everyone in Maryland is freaking out because we're terrible at handling inclement weather of any sort. Alllllll the milk is gone

#26 Posted by ThePickle (4152 posts) -

I live in NJ, where a lot of the power damage is expected to happen. But, already got two days off of school. And I'll still probably be able to watch the Giants/Cowboys game.

Last year, at this very time of year, we got a moderate storm where I live and I lost power for a week. So if we're talking storm of the century here, I'll be lucky to have it back by Christmas.

#27 Edited by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

@Getz: God damn it. I really hate that shit. They do that here too. Bread and milk gone in minutes.

@ThePickle: God. NJ sounds horrible.

#28 Posted by mosespippy (3975 posts) -

I'm starting to feel it in my shoulder. I got arthritis a couple years ago after breaking it twice in two months. Now I can feel storms coming. Hurricane season and winter sucks.

#29 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

I'm an electrician, so these storms are great for business.  I'm excited for it!

#30 Edited by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Is it a big gay storm? 

#31 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: I do! I always have trouble spelling that.

#32 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Glad that I am not on the East Coast with this monster of a storm churning up the coast towards heavily populated areas. My prayers to any GB members who do get unfortunately caught up in the wrath of this storm over the next 5 days.

#33 Posted by Bocam (3667 posts) -

So I'm in the middle of putting in a new roof and I live dead center in Pennsylvania... So yeah.

#34 Posted by BrockSampson (296 posts) -

I live dead center on Long Island. Me and my family have spent most of the day today making our house and yard storm proof.

#35 Posted by Milkman (16481 posts) -

New York here. Really not looking forward to potentially having no power for a couple days. I lost power for about a week the last time we had a big storm like this.

#36 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@BrockSampson: Same with my half sister, though she's in NJ near NY. I raked the leaves in the yard yesterday, good timing I suppose.

#37 Edited by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

I've got a stash of Spam, tinned oysters and Pop Tarts and on the third floor of my dorm. Bring it on, Sandy.

#38 Posted by mosespippy (3975 posts) -

@BrockSampson said:

I live dead center on Long Island. Me and my family have spent most of the day today making our house and yard storm proof.

I wouldn't call anything storm proof; more like storm resistant.

#39 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

It's times like this where I appreciate living on the West Coast. Hope everyone over on the East Coast will be safe.

#40 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

They never get this far North so I'm not worried. The worst we get is some rain and high winds.

#41 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

People are freaking the fuck out around me.

#42 Posted by BrockSampson (296 posts) -

@mosespippy: Very true. My property is a bit different though as my family runs a reptile rescue. So my back yard has 7 tortoise enclosures and 5 large ponds. As well as 3 large green houses that aren't in use due to the season.

#43 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

True, it does sound like sub pump when you say it out loud, and it is subterranean so I can see why you'd make that mistake. It's always a good idea to get it right though, so the guys at the hardware store don't laugh at you.

#44 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

The one thing I love about being in Ft. Lauderdale is that pretty much all of the hurricanes always look like they're coming at me and then they turn and just go north. I only get rain and wind and now it's gone.

#45 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

I'm hoping it will be a little crazy here in VT because I could use the excitement. However if it goes apocalyptic then it will be the shittest birthday ever.

#46 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@EarlessShrimp said:

True, it does sound like sub pump when you say it out loud, and it is subterranean so I can see why you'd make that mistake. It's always a good idea to get it right though, so the guys at the hardware store don't laugh at you.

This is very true, especially if your generator breaks down and you have to faux complain about how your basement is in jeopardy because you have no power and need a new generator to power your goddamn electric sump pump... not that I would know any experience like that...

#47 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@EarlessShrimp said:

This is very true, especially if your generator breaks down and you have to faux complain about how your basement is in jeopardy because you have no power and need a new generator to power your goddamn electric sump pump... not that I would know any experience like that...

A couple years ago I was living in a shitty house near my university. While I was away for Christmas the weeping tile got clogged with dead leaves. We had a warm January and most of the snow had melted over the break. I got back to my place and my whole bedroom smelt like mold and the shitty carpet was soaked through, I was so fuckin pissed at my landlord. That was a shitty year, and I'll never live in a basement again.

#48 Posted by ThePickle (4152 posts) -

@Caelum89 said:

@Getz: God damn it. I really hate that shit. They do that here too. Bread and milk gone in minutes.

@ThePickle: God. NJ sounds horrible.

Christie certainly sounded horrible during the press conference.

#49 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: I'm sorry, I just couldn't help but laugh. You'd think that'd be something people would check for, especially with a quick melt like that causing a significant rise in the water table.

#50 Posted by bartok (2406 posts) -

I am a bit concerned since I have quite a bit of family in Pennsylvania and throughout New England.