#1 Edited by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

And by artists I mean anything from a painter to a musician to a writer to a game developper, doesn't matter. If it's a form of media you consume it counts. It can also apply to an entire genre if you want; for example let's say you hate WW2 movies but love Saving Private Ryan, tell us why. Try to explain your choices if you can, it makes for a better forum.

For me it has to be this right here:

I hate Rick Ross with a passion. The way people talk about him in hush tones makes me want to vomit. People on the internet are literally saying Hip Hop is entering a second golden age thanks to him. If you've ever heard more than two songs from him you probably already realised that EVERY SINGLE TRACK from him is about money and how he has more of it than you. He doesn't have anything special when it come to flow, lyrics or delivery and he's not pushing any boundaries yet everyone keeps talking about him as if he's doing god's work. Safe to say he's not my cup of tea, because I like my tea to have some flavor, not taste like generic tea from Costco that comes in packs of 350 teabags.

This brings me to the song above. It literally has everything I just mentionned; rick ross, talk about money, boring lyrics, etc. It's quite literally Meek Mill doing his best rick ross impression and he pulls it off perfectly.

But every time I hear this song I can't help myself. I don't know if it's the beat that sounds like it's pulled straight out of a boxing movie; the way Meek yells all of his lyrics or the extremely dumb chorus. It's as if he heard thelonelyisland's "Like a Boss" one time and decided to make his own version. Maybe it's my brain tricking me into believing that these two extremely similar songs are the same and I should love them both. That is the best theory I have so far....

#2 Posted by Irvandus (2645 posts) -

I really enjoyed black ops even though I was pretty sour on Call of Duty during MW2. I wouldn't say I hate the series, I'm just kind of done with it. I would happily go play another match of Black Ops though. I also hate WoW but kind of love it at the same time, don't know if that counts.

#3 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

How Mac Miller makes catchy tunes.  I dont want to like them.  And how hilariously stupid Birdman's spending is.   

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

@Irvandus: Absolutely, I feel the same way about CoD, but I prestiged again in Black Ops two days ago and caught the bug again. I could totally play a game of Black Ops right now even though I never want to touch a Call of Duty again.

#5 Posted by niamahai (1402 posts) -

Katy Perry. I hate her so much I can't spell her name right, but goddamn do I want her.

#6 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (292 posts) -

Good OP should go first.

I love Vivre sa Vie and Histoire(s) du Cinéma, two movies by Jean-Luc Godard. While I don't really hate his stuff, I hate the fact that he's so well regarded while I find his movies good at best, except those two that I love a lot.

#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I don't hate artists.. I'm either a fan of their work or not. Except for Crytek. I want to go into their office with a machine gun and come out soaked in blood.

#8 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: You could just say you love Crysis, but then again everyone here knows why you hate crytek, or what they've become....

#9 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I rally like Black and White.

I really don't like Peter Molyneux.

#10 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -

Read Dead Redemption. I enjoy it.

Can't stand Rockstar

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6939 posts) -

I love My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy but I think Kanye West is an asshole.

#12 Edited by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Hate is maybe a little strong, but anything put out by the Takeshi/Tsugumi team made me want to throw my face into a wall (A bunch of Death Note was practically all they had done at the time, so maybe it's a little unfair). I think they really knocked it out of the park with Bakuman though! it didn't hurt that the whole last arc of that manga was practically commentary on how they think they effed up with Death Note.

Black Ops is a good one as well.

#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

@Bishna said:

I rally like Black and White.

I really don't like Peter Molyneux.

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Read Dead Redemption. I enjoy it.

Can't stand Rockstar

Can you fine folk elaborate on why you love Black and White/RDR but hate Peter M./rockstar games?

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5187 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Hate is maybe a little strong, but anything put out by the Takeshi/Tsugumi team made me want to throw my face into a wall (A bunch of Death Note was practically all they had done at the time, so maybe it's a little unfair). I think they really knocked it out of the park with Bakuman though! it didn't hurt that the whole last arc of that manga was practically commentary on how they think they effed up with Death Note.

I'd be really interested to hear how they think they effed up Death Note, but I don't read Manga. Is it because they kept going after a pretty good closure point halfway through the series?

#15 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

@Vinny_Says: Black and White was an awesome blend of resource and city management with a great amount of freedom in its puzzle solving with just enough charm to not get on your nerves.

Peter Molyneux likes to talk way to much. I didn't like the Fable games and hearing him talk about why I should didn't help. Talk less, make better games.

#16 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

I really like some of Nickelback's songs but Chad Kroeger is an unlikeable douche and that combined with much of their work makes them impossible to defend in front of other people, as if I'd ever care that much about defending their first album no one gives a fuck about. Chris Brown is a really talented dude who has straight up killed some beats, but obviously he's made a lot of shitty decisions in his lifetime. Still, I like to separate an artist's work from their personal conduct whenever I can, and I can openly admit that he has some great work. In fact, he's a much better rapper than most people give him credit for. Woman-beating doesn't automatically make you a shitty rapper.

Also, The Who have a couple songs I like, but Pete Townshend is a(n) (alleged) pedophile. Eminence Front is fucking incredible. But fuck fucking kids. Not fucking kids as in "Hey, you fucking kids" but rather "Hey, Sandusky was found guilty of fucking kids!" (ba dum psh! Topical humor!)

#17 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I'd be really interested to hear how they think they effed up Death Note, but I don't read Manga. Is it because they kept going after a pretty good closure point halfway through the series?

Death Note is the one with the book you write names in and it kills them right? If it is I remember watching the first few episodes of the anime and thought it was awesome, but then after a few episodes it lost me. I would also love to know how they think they fucked up.....

#18 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

That's very much the focus, yeah. It's a really interesting read! of course you can just wait until the anime adaptations catch up if you want to see that whole arc.

#19 Posted by Hunter5024 (5187 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

That's very much the focus, yeah. It's a really interesting read! of course you can just wait until the anime adaptations catch up if you want to see that whole arc.

Is it dubbed or subbed? I don't know how to read.

#20 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Hunter5024: The first season is dubbed with the second one still in the works, I think.

#21 Edited by Hunter5024 (5187 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Thanks I will check it out! I know the whole "You're not a real anime fan if you watched dubbed" thing but I really can't help it. Reading subtitles requires too much attention for me because I often preoccupy myself with other things while I'm watching a series.

Oh, and just so to get the conversation back on topic, I hate Orson Scott Card generally, but love Enders Game.

#22 Edited by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Hunter5024: That's only the mentality of really stupid, elitist anime fans. I have my reasons for watching subbed, and you have yours for watching dubbed!

Bakuman is very much a romanticized autobiography, which I thought was really interesting.

EDIT: Oh god, Ender's Game is a good one as well.

#23 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Andrew Lloyd Webber sucks, but Jesus Christ Superstar is awesome.

#24 Posted by wemibelec90 (1294 posts) -

For me, it's usually music. I can appreciate a good, catchy pop song but I usually hate every other song that artist does.

#25 Posted by The_Tolman (424 posts) -

North Korean graphic design is by far some of the best in the world.

#26 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

@The_Tolman said:

North Korean graphic design is by far some of the best in the world.

Can you name some examples, or are you just talking about their propaganda posters which are total ripoffs of soviet and chinese propaganda posters?

#27 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (469 posts) -

Kanye West is a complete arse in my book but god dammit he's made some awesome tracks.

#28 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

I'm by no means a Linkin Park fan but their collab album with Jay-Z is amazing. 

#29 Edited by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

I'm not a Odd future fan and I like Tyler the Creator even less. With that said I love Odd Futures recent release Rella. It should be garbage but for some reason I fuckin' love that song. The beats and the lyrics are insane. The video is hypnotic.

#30 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I hate Marilyn Manson, but her album ''The High End of Low'' is a masterpiece.

#31 Posted by Aetheldod (3344 posts) -

I really really hate the music of Nirvana , but I love the unplugged song Of the man who sold the world by them , also by all rights I hate rap/hip hop Emminem , but I really like to listen to the marshall mathers album ...

#32 Posted by thomasnash (407 posts) -

I absolutely love Futurism

I'm no art historian or anything, so I can't say too much about it, but I love the stuff about trying to reproduce kinetic energy in a still image. I think it's a fascinating idea, and also I think that futurist painting frequently came really close capturing that.

But I'm always wary of like, getting any of it to hang on my walls or anything because of it's association with Fascism, both the explicit link in the role futurist artists played in the rise of Fascism in Italy in the 20s, and just the fascist undercurrent to everything they wrote, I suppose. Marinetti's futurist manifesto describes a world that I would hate to live in, bold though his vision may be.

I just rationalise it by saying that the famous names involved in fascism in Italy were poets and futurist poetry is mostly cobblers anyway. It's the paintings that I love.

#33 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@Vinny_Says: I think its because Meek Mill is ear crack.  Thats how I see it.  I dont even know why I like Meek Mill but his songs are addicting to me.  I dont even want to like him but I just am.   

I want to hate on this song and T Pain so much but I just cant!  I dont even get it.   

Maybe its the beats?  I dont know, thats how I already feel about Young Money but MMG is different for some strange reason......  And the weird thing is I really like how Mac Miller raps in this song.  I dont even like him too!  What in the fuck............  
#34 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

kanye west.i think he is a terrible person.like,really,really bad. but damn,that guy can rap.

#35 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Why would you hate some artist you don't know?

#36 Posted by Veektarius (4164 posts) -

Hmm. In music, I would say Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory is a great album amidst a sea of garbage that is their other discography. Great musicians, not very good songwriters.

The first thing that came to my mind, though, was David Eddings, the fantasy writer. I liked the Belgariad a lot, hated everything else. But I don't think it was because the Belgariad was better - it was just because I hadn't figured out his formula yet until after I'd read it. The same might apply for RA Salvatore and his Dark Elf Trilogy.

#37 Posted by Stete (704 posts) -

Dave Mustaine. The guy is one of the biggest cunts in the universe, but his music is damn good.

#38 Posted by andriv (251 posts) -

Ethan Hunt - thing i love

Tom Cruise - artist i hate

#39 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

I hate most of Mac Millers music but I really like the beat in this song