#1 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I live in California and for various reasons, I am ready to move out. I'm thinking some where along the lines of Oregon or Washington. Unfortunately I don't think I can get a job before I move over there. So I'm probably going to have to try and live out of a hotel or my car until I can find something. What I was wondering is; do any you guys have any experiences you could share with moving out of state? Or do you have any tips you'd like to share?

#2 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i would like to know this also. there doesn't seem to be professional work where i live (not working in fast food), i was thinking about moving somewhere also. 

i would suggest looking for a job online to somewhere that you want to live.

#3 Posted by mrangryface (775 posts) -

I moved a few times while working for Staples, they were nice about transferring me to different stores as I moved. There was a military wife I worked with that also said that was why she worked for Staples- easy to move around when she had to. Not saying work for Staples, but maybe investigate easier to get jobs that either can transfer, or allow you to apply to locations outside of your state. It pays the bills, which is really what its all about the first few months in a new state if you aren't already backed by career experience.

#4 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

I've moved out of state many times, and from one country to another twice. Let me tell you something: if you don't have a job out there yet, forget it. Don't even entertain the idea. If you want to know what it's like seriously facing homelessness and going hungry, there are less damaging ways to get that experience.

I don't know your background, but try finding something through a job site such as Monster.com. Once you get a nibble, you can explain to them that you're wanting to relocate to their area but not until you land a job. That will +1 your rep in their eyes, too, because it shows you're responsible and can plan ahead. Depending upon your experience, some companies will even assist you financially with moving.

Seriously, until you land a job, there's no need to plan further.

#5 Posted by frakasattack (26 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
I've moved out of state many times, and from one country to another twice. Let me tell you something: if you don't have a job out there yet, forget it. Don't even entertain the idea. If you want to know what it's like seriously facing homelessness and going hungry, there are less damaging ways to get that experience.  I don't know your background, but try finding something through a job site such as Monster.com. Once you get a nibble, you can explain to them that you're wanting to relocate to their area but not until you land a job. That will +1 your rep in their eyes, too, because it shows you're responsible and can plan ahead. Depending upon your experience, some companies will even assist you financially with moving.  Seriously, until you land a job, there's no need to plan further.
That seems like a negative attitidue actually. Jams, I know plenty of people that have moved away and not had jobs. People seem to always get things right when they're knee deep in doo doo. I say go for it and it'll give you a chance for an adventure! :)
#6 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

My wife wants to move south so we can get one of those giant mansions that are twice the size of our house for a /third/ of the cost.  

But I don't want to live in the south. I only want to live in coastal metropolitan areas where minorities aren't a sideshow event. 

#7 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

No advice, but I would like to say that Washington is a pretty nice place to live.

#8 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Well if you can get a job then it will be no problem. Just focus on getting a job and then you find a place to live.

#9 Posted by johnny961 (53 posts) -

Try to have a place to stay first. This is the most important as you can always find a job @ a fast food or food store at first even if you have you have other skills. Also have at least $3000 to go with.
#10 Edited by themisfit138 (25 posts) -

First why do you want to move out of California? Because, Western Washington has many of the same problems as California. I moved from SoCal to the Kitsap peninsula in Washington earlier this year, and I found Western Washington to have a higher cost of living than where I lived in California.  The locals call the I-5 corridor California north, by the way.

#12 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Obviously, moving to a place where you have friends would help because you could stay with them while you get on your feet. But it doesn't seem you have that option. So my advice would be to save up a couple thousands dollars and move to where you want. Stay at a motel or in your car for a few days until you find a job. Get a shitty job at first because you can get those quickly. Wait tables or deliver pizzas. After you have your job, find your cheap apartment or if you're good at making friends, see if anyone at your job needs a roommate.

Advice for getting a job- never wait for them to call you. Put in an application and if they say they'll call you tomorrow, just go and see them tomorrow anyway. I've gotten hired doing this while others get overlooked.

#13 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

God damn it. Why does everyone from California want to come here?

Seattle's great. I love living here. I don't love, however, being one of the only people I know who was actually raised around here. Streets are safe here pretty much anywhere you go pretty much any time of day or night. Traffic is absolutely shitty. But the answer to that is you just don't drive places. Everything is within walking distance and if you try to get in a car to get there, you're going to be fighting with everyone else who's in a car trying to get there. So don't fucking bother. Cost of living is pretty damn high. Richest man in the world lives just a hop skip and jump out of town, so that explains that. There are so many wealthy people around and they sometimes seem to forget that anyone but them lives here. They all have a "vote dem and everything will be great attitude." Right? Like they're the sort of people you can tell have never had a thought that wasn't officially sanctioned by NPR. Snobs. Greener then thou proclamations made from the heated seats of their gas guzzling SUV. That's the sort of people around here. But we're getting the music scene back together after the ravages of two successive mayors who thought it was their one and only job to dismantle it. You know, because crazy kids and drinking and drugs. Mind you the rich kid cluuuubs their rich ass kids attend every night are getting more and more violent and dangerous. But we'll ignore that, because spikey haired kids look so spikey. Speaking of which, it's hard to drink here. 2 am bar closing times. And liquor is only sold at state liquor stores. It's fucking irritating. But there's been big talk recently about changing that. Oh! We might just be about ready to be the first city to legalize pot. We already forced pot offenses to be the "lowest priority" for police. Then we set up semi-legal "medical" marijuana dispensaries. There's big talk about how semi-legal those are going to be. If they become legal it will be de-facto pot freedom. Yep. Oh, we also really like soccer. Or people around here do. I think it's for European men dressed like ladies. No, I'm kidding. I don't care. Sports just isn't my thing. Nor is it most of this city's thing really. When we lost our basketball team there was this huge outpouring of "Oh, we lost the Sonics? When did that happen." In part at least this has to do with the fact that by and large, our teams can't play for shit. This is why the soccer thing is going so well. It's the first time we've really had a team that's been world class. Oh, what else. Trees everywhere. This city is green. The Emerald City. It smells good everywhere you go.

So yeah, don't move here, because we already have too many people from California. But if you do, hit me up on the PMs and I'll invite you to see my band.