Thinking of quitting my job.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

I just got a new job working with a security company, and my god are they disorganized. They wont give me my shifts until a day or the day i'm supposed to go in, that was all fine. I could deal with that. But today. I call them and ask for my shifts, and they tell me I'm working a 3 hour shift. Yes a THREE HOUR SHIFT at a place that is 40 minutes away from my house. The fuck is that shit? They know where I live, and they know(Because I've told them.) that there is no bus route that comes close to me.

Do you guys think I should just quit? Or stick through this?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

Sorry, but it's entirely your call.

It seems to me that they aren't willing to work with you, so go ahead and put in your two weeks notice then get a new job.

I can't really stand behind that comment though considering that I don't have a job, so go ahead and tell me off CL60.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

Maybe try to find another job before quitting? Just in case you can't find one for a while?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JJOR64

If you do plan on quieting, you should find another job before doing it and put your 2 weeks in. That's the right thing to do.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

It's going to take a lot of 3 hour shifts to put a decent amount of hours on your paycheck... Are they paying you well? Is it worth the travel? I guess it all comes down to how badly you need the money. Really ask yourself if you enjoy the job... because I'm scheduled 35+ hours a week, my schedule is decided 3 weeks in advance, and I never work less than 6 hours at a time... and Hell, I'm thinking about quitting because I hate being there so much. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably quit and focus on finding something closer, with better hours... but isn't that what everyone wants? Stick it out for a month or so and see if it gets any better- if not, maybe it's time to move on.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
@TooWalrus: People need their pizzas. Don't quit.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

Depends. Why is the shift only 3 hours? Maybe they just dont need you right now. 

I work for a call center, doing internet tech support. Its been slow lately so some of my lower level techs have been losing hours, although generally it doesn't go below 4. Its just cus we aren't getting the calls though. Calls are how we make the money, no calls in no income.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus

@Claude: Yeah... I wouldn't quit without having another job lined up. Maybe that's something @CL60: should take into consideration too.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#9  Edited By Kidavenger

They should be paying you for the three hour shift plus a travel allowance by hours or miles for however long it would take you to get from their place of business to the work site(i.e. not how long it would take you to get there from your house which isn't their problem).

That's how it's been everywhere I've ever worked that required me to work offsite.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zeforgotten

Really, you want a community like this to control what you do in life? 
I'm starting to wonder why you haven't gotten fired yet.. Just do what you want to do. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60

@ZeForgotten said:

I'm starting to wonder why you haven't gotten fired yet.. Just do what you want to do.

Calm yourself. Just looking for opinions.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SSully

First off, when it comes to the 3 hour shit, just calculate how much you are spending in gas to get there and back, and how much you are making that shift. If you aren't getting paid well enough to justify it then obviously its a sign to look for a new job. That is the thing though, make sure you have a job lined up before you quit, or else you might be SOL.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By BrickRoad

There's no shame in pursuing happiness, and cutting out the things that make you miserable.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Scooper

3 hour shift and a 40 min commute? Forget it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60

@TooWalrus said:

@Claude: Yeah... I wouldn't quit without having another job lined up. Maybe that's something @CL60: should take into consideration too.

I don't really need a job immediately right now. I can look around. I'm not living on my own, and have no bills.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463

@CL60 said:

@TooWalrus said:

I don't really need a job immediately right now. I can look around. I'm not living on my own, and have no bills.

Still best to have one lined up before you go because you never know how long it will take to find a new one. If it's so terrible that you can't stand another moment then go ahead and quit, but if you can stick it out try to do so for as long as you can. I'm in a similar job where the time shifts blow, I need to work at least three hours a day just to break even due to gas cost and traveling to work, but I need this job to pad my resume so I won't be going any time soon. If by this time next year it doesn't improve, or if they don't fire everyone by then, then I will be in the same situation as you and will be looking for new work.

As I said above though, stick to it for as long as you can stand it without putting a gun in your mouth and just start looking for a new job while you do so. Have you tried sitting down with the boss/guy that makes the shifts and explain your situation? If it's a place like mine that won't do jack shit, but it's worth a try.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bwmcmaste

@CL60: Sounds to me like you have found yourself on a job board. As someone who has worked in security for a few years, I would strongly recommend that you look for something more stable. Get a good stat position or, better yet, a mobile position; they usually pay well. Perhaps a different company is the answer.

I recommend that you shop around:

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By qawsed

Be careful you don't fall into a job-experience-gap trap. You get a gap in your resume, employers won't hire you because of your gap, your gap grows larger, employers won't hire you because of your gap, your gap grows larger, employers won't hire you because of your gap, your gap grows larger...

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By subject2change

That sounds awful. I would quit that job personally, unless you are desperate for the money. Tell them you need to see a change in your schedule or you are putting in 2 weeks.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aetheldod

@CL60: How much they pay you? , also it sounds like you can walk there and make extra moolah by saving on the bus (unless you are saying that it is 40 min away by transportation then agree it sucks)

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By damnboyadvance

How much money are you making? If it is enough to make it through, stick with your job for a while longer. There are a lot of people who would be happy to be in your position right now. 

See if things get any better. If they don't, start looking around for a better job.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowshi

@qawsed said:

Be careful you don't fall into a job-experience-gap trap. You get a gap in your resume, employers won't hire you because of your gap, your gap grows larger, employers won't hire you because of your gap, your gap grows larger, employers won't hire you because of your gap, your gap grows larger...

Yeah, this is me.

They call me The Unhirable. I don't fight crime. I just eat a lot of ramen noodles.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

Quitting a job over a 40 minute commute is silly. I've worked jobs with commutes of an hour or more to work full days and overtime. Forty minutes both ways for three hours if work is nothing.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kindgineer

Yeah, I hear you on the shitty shifts thing, I use to work for Advantage Ambulance Company (they are now closed due to FBI citations and such) and I use to come to work for an 8-hour shift and they would send me home after 3 hours because they "didn't need me anymore." Was total shit, especially when in this day and age not getting 40 hours can hurt you, badly.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

Honestly, I'd keep it just for something to do (but you could be on the lookout for something better). Not doing anything productive at all starts to feel real shitty, real fast in my experience. It's depressing. Even the 40 minute drive to work with some music on will be better than being sat at home.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn

Depends entirely on what they're paying you, if the money you get exceeds the travel costs by an amount you deem fitting and you don't feel you'd get more value from staying at home and not having a job for a bit, then you should go. Does seem pretty absurd though.

rtnspeedwagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rtnspeedwagon

I would say to stay with them until you can find something better. Th one thing that bothers me about your situation is at they don't have a schedule for you. A good security company has their shit together and has a schedule mapped out for the month, not the for the week ahead. Just wait it until things change or something good comes around.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juicebox

Oh man, I worked at Target and this is exactly what i did. I quit I didn't need the stress. Then again, it's not like i have bills to pay.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Subjugation

A three hour shift is pretty lame. Commutes are bearable, but I can see how you would be annoyed at spending ~30% of your "work" time just traveling. I would want more hours to make it feel worthwhile. Rather than short shifts spread frequently throughout the week, they should have guys scheduled on fewer days for more hours. Just my opinion. I'll echo what everyone else is saying though, have another job in the works before you ditch. Maybe you don't need it right this second, but you'd be surprised at how hard it can be to find a job when you really need one.

c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By c0kemusheen

@ZeForgotten said:

Jesus Christ man he was just asking for opinions, don't be rude. To the OP, I definitely recommend sticking with the job until you have acquired a good solid lead on another one. Don't give up your source of income unless you have another one lined up, especially in this economy

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 49th

I think you should suck it up and do the work. Show some work ethic and do the job... or else you might as well just quit - it's your choice.

If you don't want to do it then quit, no one gives a shit or you could become a rich billionaire after doing this shift and getting a promotion, I don't even know where I'm going with this.

In conclusion, do whatever you want.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By musubi

I would say give them the benefit of the doubt THIS time. You have to be willing to suck it up sometimes to get anywhere in your job. However, if you continue to get shitty hours I would say your in the right to quit.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZimboDK
@Meowshi said:

@qawsed said:

Yeah, this is me.

They call me The Unhirable. I don't fight crime. I just eat a lot of ramen noodles.

Been there. 2 years with no job. Finally got one with a company that didn't care about the gap in my resume. 100's of applications and in total, more than 30 job interviews. What a pain.

@CL60
Think it over thoroughly. A few months without a job can suddenly become a few years. In this economy it's not exactly easy finding something to do.
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I would say to them "I like this job, but 3 hour shifts don't even cover my transport costs. If you guys can't give me enough work to be worthwhile, I'm going to have to move on"

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

well it sounds like you need a new job. 

i work part time, this week it's only 4 hours. it's pretty stupid of them to do that.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

@yoshimitz707 said:

Maybe try to find another job before quitting? Just in case you can't find one for a while?

Most definitely this option. Thinking about doing the same thing with my job.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus

@Claude said:

...Quitting my pizza job on Superbowl Sunday would be fuckin' perfect. Just sayin'.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tekmojo

I had 54 hours last week, worked 13 hours alone on Friday. Hell I'd say I want more hours if I could!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Claude
@TooWalrus said:

@Claude said:

...Quitting my pizza job on Superbowl Sunday would be fuckin' perfect. Just sayin'.

Holy shit, they might rehire you with a raise.
Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

40 minutes commute for 3 hours work isn't so bad.  
I mean, if I only had to work for 3 hours after my commute I'd never want to quit..

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Max_Cherry

I'm guessing they don't pay decent overtime. So, if your not happy then you should quit and not look back. You owe it to yourself.