• 84 results
#1 Posted by nima (108 posts) -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html 

I just cannot believe what I was reading there. Unbelievable that this kind of thing happens in 2009! How can this even be alright? Wasn't there this Mel gibson movie called the passion of the christ or something? Why is this Charles Darwin film shown around the world but when it comes to America...Oh man this really pisses me off! 

What are your views on this subject?
#2 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

One Word, America

#3 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Religious people are always hating on something that threatens their beliefs or encourages independent thinking.

#4 Posted by Lifestrike (481 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" Religious people are always hating on something that threatens their beliefs or encourages independent thinking. "
I would say bad religious people.
#5 Posted by NoDice (7 posts) -

there's not really anyone to blame and not much anyone can do about. the goal of a film distributor is to make money and fair enough if they dont want to take this risk. it's a shame that there are elements of a modern civilisation that wont be open to the idea of something that goes agaisnt their own beliefs.

#6 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

damn that is ignorant*.  yeah lets not show them this film, or they might start using their brains too much.

#7 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@Lifestrike said:
" @Br3adfan said:
" Religious people are always hating on something that threatens their beliefs or encourages independent thinking. "
I would say bad religious people. "
Your right, it is mainly the religious fanatics who want to do things like ban science from being taught in schools.
#8 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

OH GOD! People using their brains! BLASPHEMY! THIS MOVIE MUST NOT BE PUT OUT IN THE US!

#9 Edited by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Its honestly anti-american, free speech right? 

Whatever... I am a semi reiligous and I still believe in evolution.
#10 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Another example of the American majority's moronic retardedness. Nothing to see here, move along.

#11 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Religious nut jobs get offended regularly, and Im pissed off because of this article. FUCK YOU America, stop censoring us!!
#12 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"Another example of the American majority's moronic retardedness. Nothing to see here, move along. "

To be fair, the majority of all people of the world are moronic.
#13 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

You can expect any outrage from them. You release a movie about hypocrite conservative politicians, there's outrage (And the movie outrage). You say something along the lines of "We should treat all other beliefs equally", you get outrage. You say something along the lines of "Maybe we shouldn't have prayer in school, it might offend certain religious beliefs", you get Outrage 2: Electric Boogaloo. It's the same as in the UK, except you get Muslims being outraged over anything that happens, so you don't exactly escape the outrage. Neither do I, because I have the seperatists. Nobody can escape the outrage, it is impossible.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

It makes me sad to say that I live in America.

#15 Edited by Scooper (7882 posts) -

"It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There's still a great belief that He made the world in six days. It's quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules."

I agree with this. You'd think the most powerful nation on the Earth would have more sence then founding their nation on old stories.

" The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying"". 

Typical religious ignorance here. Darwin's theory has been prooven by advanced cell theory.

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Religion will be the downfall of humanity.

#17 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I kind of don't see what the problem is.  It's not like anyone is banning the film.  Maybe the distribution companies just don't believe it has a chance of recouping the costs.  I really don't buy the "too controversial" angle. 

#18 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" @Meowayne said:
"Another example of the American majority's moronic retardedness. Nothing to see here, move along. "
To be fair, the majority of all people of the world are moronic. "
Yes and no. I think this American phenomenon of somehow seeing a contradiction of religion, or an offense against christianity in the theory of evolution is one of the most moronic things I have ever heard of. There has been a LOT of crazy retardedness in history, but almost always there was some kind of reason, or sense, or point, or comprehensible element in its origins. 

This rejection of the evolutionary principles for religious reasons, when the two have absolutely nothing at all to do with one another, is just uncomprehensible to me. I cannot for the life of me imagine what must be happening in the heads of these people.
#19 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" @Whisperkill said:
" @Meowayne said:
To be fair, the majority of all people of the world are moronic. "
Yes and no. I think this American phenomenon of somehow seeing a contradiction of religion, or an offense against christianity in the theory of evolution is one of the most moronic things I have ever heard of. There has been a LOT of crazy retardedness in history, but almost always there was some kind of reason, or sense, or point, or comprehensible element in its origins.   This rejection of the evolutionary principles for religious reasons, when the two have absolutely nothing at all to do with one another, is just uncomprehensible to me. I cannot for the life of me imagine what must be happening in the heads of these people. "
You know that not everyone in America believes the same stuff as these wackos right?
#20 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

It boils down to this: 

There are people on this planet, educated people of a civilized western country, who have received a decade of standardised school education, who have access to uncensored mass media and mass information such as books, TV and especially the internet, and yet deny the principles of evolution, and of neo-darwinism.

Unbelievable. Just... mind-blowingly unbelievable.

#21 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Br3adfan:

Of course.

#22 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

religion is stupid and should be stopped. make them all wear stars. gas them ?

oh wait thats been tried already

#23 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Only 39 percent of Americans believe in Evolution...? Wtf!? I guess the rest believes in Creationism.

#24 Edited by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I'm a Christian and I have to say I'd have no problem with a Charles Darwin film being released and would even be interested in watching it. However, the anger displayed towards those who follow a religion here is unsettling. Instead of focusing hate on an entire religion, why not focus your energy on those who seem to not only follow the religion but enforce their views on others. It's pretty offensive to be lumped up with said people.

#25 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -

Bullfucking shit. Whoever was in charge of looking for a distributor has got to be completely incompetent. There have been loads of movies more controversial than that in the US.

#26 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" I'm a Christian and I have to say I'd have no problem with a Charles Darwin film being released. However, the anger displayed towards those who follow a religion here is unsettling. Instead of focusing hate on an entire religion, why not focus your energy on those who seem to not only follow the religion but enforce their views on others. It's pretty offensive to be lumped up with said people. "
Oh yeah, it's so terrible being oppressed in a majority Christian nation.
#27 Edited by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Wait, so we're allowed to learned about what Charles Darwin has done, but we can't have a movie about what he has down here in America? Seriously, what the fuck? I mean, I didn't get a total look of his discoveries in my Biology class, but we did learn what he discovered.

#28 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -
@The_Ish said:
" @Illmatic said:
" I'm a Christian and I have to say I'd have no problem with a Charles Darwin film being released. However, the anger displayed towards those who follow a religion here is unsettling. Instead of focusing hate on an entire religion, why not focus your energy on those who seem to not only follow the religion but enforce their views on others. It's pretty offensive to be lumped up with said people. "
Oh yeah, it's so terrible being oppressed in a majority Christian nation. "
Where did I say the GiantBomb community represented the entire nation? I simply said the hate here (in other words the forum) was unsettling to me. I never even mentioned oppression in my post.
#29 Posted by nima (108 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy: 

although I am not an american, I would think that this kind of thing only benefits the American people themselves. I mean, you get more choice and who is to say that the film wouldn't be succesfull? I think I read that 39% of Americans believe in religion. 39% is still kind of allot!
#30 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" @The_Ish said:
" @Illmatic said:
Oh yeah, it's so terrible being oppressed in a majority Christian nation. "
Where did I say the GiantBomb community represented the entire nation? I simply said the hate here (in other words the forum) was unsettling to me. I never even mentioned oppression in my post. "
In that case, you need to specify. I thought you mean the US by "here".
#31 Posted by nima (108 posts) -

It's really unbelievable. I'm not here to mock anyone's religion but this is really stupid. 39% of people know of evolution in america which I still think is pretty high for America. I just cannot understand how it has come to this.  
Is it money? Do they think they can't make money out of this? I would have thought that more people would watch it due to curiosity. Didn't that documentary film religulous with Bill Maher do well? I'm pretty sure it did.  
I just cannot figure it out. I sometimes have this view of America being filled with religious people but reading some of the comments on this page leaves me with some hope for this world.
#32 Posted by Tofford (526 posts) -

Thats religion for you it will open your mind to the stuff that they see fit.

#33 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

Our country is just outright stupid sometimes.

#34 Posted by Sabata (823 posts) -

I don't really get it.  I mean, they showed Religulous, why not this?

#35 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

USA is the Iran of the Western Hemisphere

Mexico is Iraq

#36 Edited by TheFreshmaker (132 posts) -

Hey!  Let's all bash America!  

If this movie is really that good, then it will obviously get an American distributor eventually.  Meanwhile, Americans will continue to enjoy getting video games sooner and cheaper. 

Boy, it sure sucks to live in the United States.  /sarcasm      

If it makes you feel better to generalize an entire country, then by all means, continue.  But in doing so you are only embarrassing yourself.

#37 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Okay, what the hell? I know plenty of people who would be interested in seeing this movie. The younger audience that movies are usually marketed to (18-30) has a rapidly rising amount of atheists and agnostics. This movie HAS to be marketable in the US! Fuck US distributors.

#38 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@clarke0 said:
" Okay, what the hell? I know plenty of people who would be interested in seeing this movie. The younger audience that movies are usually marketed to (18-30) has a rapidly rising amount of atheists and agnostics. This movie HAS to be marketable in the US! Fuck US distributors. "
It's not the US distributors. There are a whole bunch of movies that are controversial, pro-evolution and good that have been picked up here in the US. The article probably doesn't have much integrity anyhow, since it takes a very opinionated tone and is probably meant to bring in some traffic. 
#39 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@TheFreshmaker said:
" Hey!  Let's all bash America!    If this movie is really that good, then it will obviously get an American distributor eventually.  Meanwhile, Americans will continue to enjoy getting video games sooner and cheaper.    Boy, it sure sucks to live in the United States.  /sarcasm        If it makes you feel better to generalize an entire country, then by all means, continue.  But in doing so you are only embarrassing yourself. "
Actually it makes me sad to slander this country, but I don't have my eyes closed and my head in the sand.
#40 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

This is why I can't stand religious people. It's okay to release a war movie with blood and guts and gore and movies with sex and nudity, but god forbid you release a movie with a man saying that humans evolved. Fucking idiots

#41 Posted by TheFreshmaker (132 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @TheFreshmaker said:
" Hey!  Let's all bash America!    If this movie is really that good, then it will obviously get an American distributor eventually.  Meanwhile, Americans will continue to enjoy getting video games sooner and cheaper.    Boy, it sure sucks to live in the United States.  /sarcasm        If it makes you feel better to generalize an entire country, then by all means, continue.  But in doing so you are only embarrassing yourself. "
Actually it makes me sad to slander this country, but I don't have my eyes closed and my head in the sand. "
And what does that mean exactly?  Are you implying that I have my head in the sand, or that all of America has its head in the sand?  

Yes, America is generally more religious than much of the western world.  Is that inherently a bad thing?  Only an idiot would think so.  Intolerance exists in some form or another everywhere  in the world.  Yes, many religious people can be and are intolerant.  But its easy to see judging from this thread alone that non-religious individuals can be just as intolerant, or even more so. 
#42 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

The fact that evolution or that a movie about the guy who thought the theory up would even have a smidgen of controversy around it just proves how stupid America has become.  Frightening times as places like the Creation Museum reinforce their stupidity.  Of course people rode dinosaurs, the earth is only 6,000 years old. 

#43 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@TheFreshmaker said:
And what does that mean exactly?  Are you implying that I have my head in the sand, or that all of America has its head in the sand?  
Both.

@TheFreshmaker said:
Yes, America is generally more religious than much of the western world.  Is that inherently a bad thing?  Only an idiot would think so.  Intolerance exists in some form or another everywhere  in the world.  Yes, many religious people can be and are intolerant.  But its easy to see judging from this thread alone that non-religious individuals can be just as intolerant, or even more so.
Well, in the purest sense, Christianity is pretty self serving, but it has been used for good too.  The problem with religion in America is it's dragging down the entire country in a multitude of ways.  Biotechnology, education, knowledge, social issues, ecology and environment have all suffered in recent years through direct influence by a portion of the populace.

Personally I view things on a practical level.  There are those who will kill and destroy in the name of 'God'.  There are a variety of other factors that drew my comparison between North American countries and Middle Eastern countries, however.  A good portion of those are unreleased to the topic at hand.
#44 Posted by Ben_H (3307 posts) -

#45 Posted by BaconGames (3291 posts) -

People know that the antithesis to this, The Passion of the Christ, couldn't get a distribution deal right?  It's not the conclusion the movie draws, it's the fact that it implicates religion at all that makes the distributors freak knowing they have an uphill marketing battle ahead of them.  The reason Passion was released was Mel Gibson basically did the movie himself.

I am very skeptical and critical of organized religion and religious texts as well as those who misuse religion beyond simply keeping their faith amongst themselves.  However, it's when nationalistic conclusions about "America" is made that I smell a bag of bullshit.  It's always strange that I've seen more people denounce America as dumb that legitimately dumb people (on the internet anyway).  When will people realize that as a collection of citizens in a free country, there are certain things that happen.  This is one of them.

That and stupid is universal.  Just pick your flavor because there's plenty.

#46 Posted by SinGulaR (2255 posts) -

Whatever. I think that anyone interested in seeing that movie will be able to watch it.

#47 Posted by Creamypies (4050 posts) -

I bet they'll quite happily show documentaries about the theory of evolution on the Discovery Channel, yet they won't show a film depicting the life of the man that the theory originated from? That is ridiculous.

@nima said:

" How can this even be alright? Wasn't there this Mel gibson movie called the passion of the christ or something?  "
Absolutely right. And secondly, surely films like The Exorcist are far more insulting to Christianity than this?
#48 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Sweet, another thread where people found an excuse to feel superior to all Americans and all religious people. Great. Lap it up. Your government appreciates you diverting attention from their own problems like the massive corruption scandal happening in the UK right now. You're glad you live in a country where your representatives are so widely corrupt as opposed to a place where in some places evolution isn't allowed in schools? Good job, sheep, the PM appreciates this.

#49 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -
@ninjakiller said:
" The fact that evolution or that a movie about the guy who thought the theory up would even have a smidgen of controversy around it just proves how stupid America has become.  Frightening times as places like the Creation Museum reinforce their stupidity.  Of course people rode dinosaurs, the earth is only 6,000 years old.  "
lol When I saw that in Religulous I chuckled quite a bit. "This man lived in a fish for three days?" " um ...miraculously, yes"
#50 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
Ya...that's what it is... If i knew how to do the rolling eyes emote i would cause you deserve it.