• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

Yesterday I got the mail and there was a letter for me from a law firm. They represent an insurance company that I've never heard of and neither have my parents. They want about $20,000 for property damages. Problem is, I have no idea what it's for and can't think of a single thing I've done that an insurance company would want that much money from me.

I called the insurance company and they don't have my name on file, according to the lady I talked to, so I had to call the law firm again. Everyone I call there isn't allowed to talk to me and they have to wait for a certain guy to come in because "he's the only one who can handle it." They told me he comes in late on Thursdays so I waited a few hours and called back. Next person I talked to said he's not coming in at all today lol.

So, someone wants $20,000, the reviews I've read on the law firm say they don't accept payment plans and I'm only a 19 year old college student with a minimum wage job. The only thing that's stopping me from worrying so much is the fact that the letter has no information on what has been done and doesn't even directly confirm if I'm involved at all.

"No attorney has evaluated your case or made any recommendations regarding the validity of the claimant's claims..."
"It is believed that you may be responsible..."

Some of my friends have told me it's probably a mistake and nothing to worry about. So I guess my question is, has anyone gotten anything like this before when they didn't owe/do anything? Obviously if you don't pay your debts you'll start getting letters and phone calls (personally I haven't gotten phone calls, just one letter). But I don't have any debts lol. And I know I didn't do any property damage. It's just scary when you get something like this in the mail and you know it'll be impossible to pay.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (12990 posts) -

I wouldn't worry about it until they've got a solid reason WHY YOU OWE THEM MONEY.

I got a call like this once... They only wanted $60. I wanted to play 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand with my buddy, so I went to the Hollywood Video that I'd never been to and rented two copies. I kept those two copies for fuckin' months, because who cares? I'm never going back to Hollywood Video, so I racked up a giant late fee. Eventually the company went out of business, and whoever inherited it started calling in the debts. It's kind of scary, actually, having debt collectors calling early in the morning to harass your parents.

#4 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

this sounds like a scam. the fact that they didn't give any specifics should set off alarms. don't sweat it until you have a reason to.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (13918 posts) -

@Intro I would say don't worry about it. Make sure you keep the letter though for awhile at least. If they are serious about wanting money they will contact YOU. So if I were you that is exactly what I would do. Tuck the letter away so you have some sort of actual documentation to show people but don't worry about it unless they start calling you. And if they do call you don't EVER offer information up voluntarily. It could very well be a mistake.

I once got a voice mail from the local constable saying if I didn't show up at the parole office or something that they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest. Needless to say that freaked me out but turns out somehow my number got on their list. Most likely whoever was actually at fault gave them faulty information. So these kind of accidents do happen so just take it easy.

#6 Posted by endaround (2129 posts) -

@intro: Call the police. It sounds like a scam and the police should be informed.

#7 Edited by TheHT (10324 posts) -

Shakedown?

#8 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4036 posts) -

Better Business Bureau?

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Call the police. If its fake you sue them for double the amount for mental distress.

#10 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

It's a scam, unless you're only telling us half of a story.

Did you leave out the part about you crashing your car through the wall of a house or something?

If not, look the guys up on Google with the word "scam" or "fraud" and see if there are any other reports of being harassed.

And if you talk to the guys and they say they won't go to suit if you pay them X amount, DO NOT PAY THEM A DIME.

#11 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Sounds fake to me based on what you've told us here. If you really do owe money then they'll get into contact with you with all of the info you need. I wouldn't worry about calling them or trying to get info from them. It's their job to get into contact with you if they're legit. If they call you and still withhold everything saying they can't disclose it to you or whatever, tell them to go fuck themselves. (Maybe not say that exactly but you get the idea)

#12 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

I wouldn't worry about it until they've got a solid reason WHY YOU OWE THEM MONEY.

I got a call like this once... They only wanted $60. I wanted to play 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand with my buddy, so I went to the Hollywood Video that I'd never been to and rented two copies. I kept those two copies for fuckin' months, because who cares? I'm never going back to Hollywood Video, so I racked up a giant late fee. Eventually the company went out of business, and whoever inherited it started calling in the debts. It's kind of scary, actually, having debt collectors calling early in the morning to harass your parents.

That's a big secret of debt collectors, they buy your debt from a company (in your case, you owed Hollywood video) for a fraction of the amount that you accrued. If you talk to the debt collectors, you can often haggle them down to paying off your debt for a lot less than you owed Hollywood, because they only need to see a profit over the, oh let's say, 15% of the total amount you accrued in late fees, and that they paid Hollywood video to acquire that debt.

(P.S.: Don't let it get to the point when debt collectors are harassing you, because your credit will be SHOT.)

#13 Posted by Fattony12000 (6376 posts) -

You shouldn't even have called them in the first place. It's a complete and utter scam. Call someone for some legal advice/FSA/CAB/your equivalent and report them.

#14 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1867 posts) -

@psylah said:

Did you leave out the part about you crashing your car through the wall of a house or something?

If not, look the guys up on Google with the word "scam" or "fraud" and see if there are any other reports of being harassed.

And if you talk to the guys and they say they won't go to suit if you pay them X amount, DO NOT PAY THEM A DIME.

Yeah, I was about to add that last part since nobody mentioned it. Don't pay these people a cent and if they continue demanding money, lawyer up.

#15 Edited by Intro (1191 posts) -

@psylah said:

There are no other story pieces. I've gotten two speeding tickets in the last 3 years of being able to drive and other than that I've done nothing. Certainly nothing that would result in an insurance company wanting $20,000.

@psylah- "(P.S.: Don't let it get to the point when debt collectors are harassing you, because your credit will be SHOT.)"

That's what my dad is worried about, my credit being ruined before I even get a chance to build actual credit.

I've looked up the law firm and there are a bunch of complaints about them. One guy who claimed to work there said they were told to send letter asking for money to people before they actually reviewed the case. However, i can't confirm whether he was lying or not and since this is the internet, I'm not taking his word lol.

When I call the first thing they ask is if I want to make a payment lol. I left a voicemail at the office the "specific guy" I need to talk to saying I don't owe these charges and I don't agree to anything in this claim lol. But he ended up taking the day off so hopefully tomorrow. I'm getting ready to call the police and ask about it.

Yeah, I was about to add that last part since nobody mentioned it. Don't pay these people a cent and if they continue demanding money, lawyer up.

I don't plan on paying them anything, thanks for the info guys.

#16 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@intro said:

Yesterday I got the mail and there was a letter for me from a law firm. They represent an insurance company that I've never heard of and neither have my parents. They want about $20,000 for property damages. Problem is, I have no idea what it's for and can't think of a single thing I've done that an insurance company would want that much money from me.

I called the insurance company and they don't have my name on file, according to the lady I talked to, so I had to call the law firm again. Everyone I call there isn't allowed to talk to me and they have to wait for a certain guy to come in because "he's the only one who can handle it." They told me he comes in late on Thursdays so I waited a few hours and called back. Next person I talked to said he's not coming in at all today lol.

So, someone wants $20,000, the reviews I've read on the law firm say they don't accept payment plans and I'm only a 19 year old college student with a minimum wage job. The only thing that's stopping me from worrying so much is the fact that the letter has no information on what has been done and doesn't even directly confirm if I'm involved at all.

"No attorney has evaluated your case or made any recommendations regarding the validity of the claimant's claims..."

"It is

believed

that you

may be

responsible..."

Some of my friends have told me it's probably a mistake and nothing to worry about. So I guess my question is, has anyone gotten anything like this before when they didn't owe/do anything? Obviously if you don't pay your debts you'll start getting letters and phone calls (personally I haven't gotten phone calls, just one letter). But I don't have any debts lol. And I know I didn't do any property damage. It's just scary when you get something like this in the mail and you know it'll be impossible to pay.

1: Give them no personal information beyond the two pieces they already have (being your name and address.) Under no circumstances give them your SS number, even if they request it to "Verify your identity," and give them no specific information about your credit accounts or loans.

2: Don't bother contacting the police now, not until an actual theft of identity is confirmed (it doesn't seem like one has, this seems like a mixup.) If this happens you'll likely have to seek out legal counsel and file two police reports (one with your local PD and one where the theft occurred on their end.) Don't worry about this - it doesn't sound to me like a case of identity theft or fraud, just some odd mixup.

3: Obtain your yearly free credit reports from the 3 participating major agencies (keep in mind this can only be done once per year). This isn't like obtaining your "Credit Score" or any of that nonsense but rather a detailed report about what loans/lines of credit/etc. have been taken out in your name or ones you are specifically associated with (like if you were listed on one of your parent's credit cards, etc.)

Follow the instruction provided here:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports

Follow those directions specifically. This is a free service provided to every citizen of the United States on once-per-year basis as mandated by FACTA, but there are loads of fake sites and pay-per-service sites out there.... if you try to find out how to obtain the reports through Google searches it will probably result in identity theft or malware.

The only site you should be using is here:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

It is run jointly by 3 of our major credit agencies. It will guide you through the process of obtaining a detailed report from each agency: Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.

Once you have all 3 reports look at each one individually to make sure you recognize each and every listing. If you're able to confirm that someone is using your identity fradulently (for example, you live California but someone in Jersey is using your name for credit) immediately contact that specific agency (one of the three I already listed) to get that removed. Right the date down on the top of each paper after you print it out, that way you know when you can next get your set of free reports. This is something you should be doing on a yearly basis to ensure someone hasn't taken credit out on your name. If this happens and it wasn't caught immediately it could be a problem - it could've already heavily affected your credit or worse (the person who used your identity is being sued by an insurance company, hence the law firm.) Again though, I doubt that.... but if it did you'd have to hire an attorney immediately.

#17 Edited by Intro (1191 posts) -

Thank you for the help. If they don't call back tomorrow I'm writing a letter with a copy of the letter sent me. Because the bottom of their letter says that I'll be essentially admitting that I owe the $20,000 if I don't respond within 30 days. You'd think a law firm would be able to at least get one person on a weekday to tell me what the letter is about. I call, they ask if I'll be making a payment and then send me to an answering machine to leave a message when I say no. Seriously, ONE guy there can talk about your letter and no on else.

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Call your bank maybe and see what they think.

#19 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@intro said:

tomorrow I'm writing a letter with a copy of the letter sent me. Because the bottom of their letter says that I'll be essentially admitting that I owe the $20,000 if I don't respond within 30 days.

That's not how it works, if they did actually they press charges they'd need to take you to court - and there it would be determined if you're guilty (or whether they even wanted to proceed to trial). An insurance company cannot arbitrarily decide whether or not you owe them money.

If they did press charges they'd have to serve you the papers, which they (or someone else, like a State Trooper) would deliver to you and it would say "You're being sued...."

This would provide the court date information and everything.

Writing the letter won't do any harm, but if you do write one include absolutely no personal information besides your name and address, like I said.

#20 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Reminds me of when I used to have this thing where every time I turned it on, the screen would just be this.I freaked out for a sec, and then googled it and realised it was a scam virus that I could just delete.

#21 Edited by Tarsier (1052 posts) -

run around screaming

#22 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

@i_smell said:

Reminds me of when I used to have this thing where every time I turned it on, the screen would just be this.I freaked out for a sec, and then googled it and realised it was a scam virus that I could just delete.

haha- the best part of that is the constable with his hand up, seemingly stating "HALT!"

#23 Edited by Voxus (282 posts) -

Call the cops, seriously. You may not be the only one they are scamming right now.

#24 Edited by Abendlaender (2605 posts) -

Somebody once called my, claiming I orderd a car. Like a completely pimped up car with all the stuff you can put on and in a car. I was 11. So I hung up.

Then I laughed and drove away in my brand new car

Moral of the story: Either go out and destroy some property or ignore it until they have some evidence.

#25 Posted by Ben_H (3220 posts) -

Holy murphy a serious Biff post and it is just as awesome as his funny posts. Dude knows his stuff.

Yeah this sounds like a scam. Do not pay them a penny without proof. And be as safe as possible.

And yeah people, don't screw around with credit ever. My brother did and completely bombed his rating. He and his girlfriend had a lot of trouble finding a house because of it and my dad ended up having to cosign. Pay off debts as fast as possible

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

Somebody has stolen BiffMcBlumpkin's identity! IT WAS PROBABLY A CAT BURGLAR YOU GUYS LOL

#27 Posted by TAFAE (150 posts) -
@intro said:

Thank you for the help. If they don't call back tomorrow I'm writing a letter with a copy of the letter sent me. Because the bottom of their letter says that I'll be essentially admitting that I owe the $20,000 if I don't respond within 30 days. You'd think a law firm would be able to at least get one person on a weekday to tell me what the letter is about. I call, they ask if I'll be making a payment and then send me to an answering machine to leave a message when I say no. Seriously, ONE guy there can talk about your letter and no on else.

Consider sending the letter with a signature required on delivery. This probably won't end up in court anyway, but if it does, proving that they got the letter would be a simple way to show that the firm is full of shit. USPS's Signature Confirmation gets you the name and signature of whoever received the letter as well as the date, time, and location of the delivery.

#28 Posted by ManMadeGod (1515 posts) -

@intro said:

Why are you going through this much trouble? Just ignore the letter, there is nothing they can do about it.

After Hollywood video went under I received a letter saying the same exact thing. If I did not respond I would admit to owing money for a lost tape. I threw the letter out and never heard from the company again.

Anyone can send you a letter in the mail asking for money. I'm not sure if it's even legal to say "you admit to guilt unless we receive a letter". I know in contract law this is not allowed e.g. if you do not rescind my offer, you must sell me the car.

#29 Posted by AiurFlux (899 posts) -

This entire thing seems really fishy to me. First off the absurdity of them saying that if they didn't receive a letter from you that would be an automatic admission of guilt. There isn't a legal system in the civilized world that handles arbitration and mediation like that. You have the right to a court hearing, and the first step of that court hearing would be a summons to appear. Then there's the whole thing of running you around, and that boils down to them hoping that you get pissed off and just give them an admission of guilt or compromising personal information to make it easier on yourself for your "convenience".

Find out what the number is for a bar association or law society in your area. Keep that handy. I wouldn't even give them their letter because that can be a sketchy issue too. Best thing you can do is call the police or consult an attorney about proper options. Fact is this could be fraud. And even if it isn't this law firm is sending out letters that are completely unsubstantiated and they deserve to be punished. That's where the bar association/law society comes in.

I would recommend seeing an attorney though. You don't know if this is a legitimate claim and if it is you have every right to see the evidence that they want to present against you.

#30 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Whats the company name behind the letter anyways?

#31 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Public nudity can result in this situation. Just admit it and everything will be fine.

#32 Posted by gogosox82 (413 posts) -

This sounds like a scam. If you've ever owed money to anyplace, they could easily find out and make up some ridicilous claim about you owing money. Just keep the letter on hand and DON'T PAY THEM ANY MONEY.

#33 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

how can you people ever expect proper responses when you are completely vague and not transparent on the actual events?

if you dont have 20,000 they cant take 20,000. its simple as that, dont call them and if they keep repeatedly calling you, you report them

#34 Posted by Dalai (6882 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Somebody has stolen BiffMcBlumpkin's identity! IT WAS PROBABLY A CAT BURGLAR YOU GUYS LOL

Or maybe...

#35 Edited by Tajasaurus (663 posts) -

Throw that letter at the police and they will give those white devils a shakedown.

#37 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

new idea: you sent them a COUNTER LETTER and say unless they send you a telegram in return, they owe you FORTY thousand dollars.

COUNTERED.

#38 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

@endaround said:

@intro: Call the police. It sounds like a scam and the police should be informed.

This - It sounds like a scam, especially if it's some company nobody has ever heard of and the fact that you can't legitimately think of anything you did wrong. Go to the cops with it. I'm assuming it's a phone number within your country? If so, they're idiots for trying to scam somebody that big within their own country.

#39 Edited by zenmastah (838 posts) -

Yeah, because its that much money theyre after i bet theyre getting ppl to settle it for say 1000 bucks or something..

But again if you havent done anything you can just wipe your bottom with the letter imo.

#40 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

It's a mistake or a scam, call the police and tell them imo.

#41 Edited by JadeGL (613 posts) -

I don't know what state you live in, but I work at a courthouse in my state and we deal with things like civil suits, small claims, forcible entry and detainers, that type of thing. I am specifically a clerk that deals with the criminal case load, but I know enough from cross training that I can at least tell you that this letter sounds all kind of fishy.

With a civil suit or small claims case, there is specific paperwork from the court that needs to be filed or that an attorney needs to draft called a complaint. That would outline what you owe and should say why you owe it (car accident, stiffing someone painting your house, damage done to a rented apartment, etc) and with a civil suit, it would most likely include some exhibits that back up the complaint like copies of contracts and other documentation. You would need to be served that complaint with a court summons. That summons would give you directions on what to do. In my state, you are directed to file an answer with the court within a certain time frame, usually 21 days from the date of service, and to also forward a copy of your answer to the plaintiff. This answer can say "Yes I owe this money" or "Hell no, this guy is crazy and I don't owe anyone anything" and can be typed or handwritten, the court doesn't care so long as we get it within the filing deadline. Normally, the court will get the paperwork from the plaintiff within a few days to maybe a few weeks after the service is completed, depending on whether it is filed by mail or in hand. The plaintiff would have to include a filing fee, and this fee would depend upon the type of case. In the state where I live, a small claims case costs 70 dollars to file and a civil suit costs 150 dollars. Oh, and the summonses also cost money to obtain from the court, the plaintiff just can't run copies from home and serve people with those copies. They are legal court documents so they need to be purchased from the court. After the court gets the paperwork the case would be scheduled for a pretrial conference, and both parties would be notified of the court date by mail. If a defendant doesn't file an answer, the plaintiff could file for a summary judgment from the court, but that would be after the proper paperwork gets served, the plaintiff files with the court, and the 21 days expire with no answer from the party being sued. Of course, this is just a very basic description of how it works in my state, and of course other states may have different procedures.

My main reason for posting was to allay your fears a bit. There is a proper process in our country, though it varies by state, to bring someone to court for money judgments. This sounds like someone just trying to phish for money, and the fact that you keep getting the runaround from the lawyers office sounds super crazy. If you are truly worried I would seek free legal advice in your area. There are legal aid clinics in my state run by nonprofit groups and local colleges that help in just these types of situations. Also, some attorneys will do free consultations if asked, so get your letter and bring it to an attorney that will do one of those free consultations and ask them the legal questions that us internet commentators can't.

Good luck! I know this post was long and may have had some legal jargon in it that I tried, perhaps not as successfully as I would have hoped, to explain with my limited knowledge. Again, good luck!

#42 Edited by Intro (1191 posts) -

@JadeGL Thank you for the help.

I'm calling them again now, I think the guy I need to talk to is in since I'm on hold for his office. Even though he hasn't returned my voice mails from 3 days ago lol. Once again, I got someone who sounded like they were about to say something about the claim, then they just say I have to talk to this guy. I'm very curious as to what they'll say.

I would just ignore it like some of you have said, but my dad is worried that I can be held responsible so he wants me to keep calling.

#43 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@intro said:

I'm calling them again now, I think the guy I need to talk to is in since I'm on hold for his office. Even though he hasn't returned my voice mails from 3 days ago lol. Once again, I got someone who sounded like they were about to say something about the claim, then they just say I have to talk to this guy. I'm very curious as to what they'll say.

I would just ignore it like some of you have said, but my dad is worried that I can be held responsible so he wants me to keep calling.

Dont give him any info aside from your name.

And whats the office name anyways?

#44 Edited by Intro (1191 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

I don't plan on it. Javitch Block and Rathbone in Cleveland, OH. So far I've been on hold, 1st in queue to talk to the guy for the last 20 minutes or so.

#45 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@intro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

I don't plan on it. Javitch Block and Rathbone in Cleveland, OH.

They seem to be the lawfirm of choice for Citibank.

#46 Posted by Sweep (8547 posts) -

@biffmcblumpkin: I feel slightly unnerved whenever you express yourself through anything other than the medium of ms paint.

#47 Edited by Intro (1191 posts) -

@intro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

I don't plan on it. Javitch Block and Rathbone in Cleveland, OH.

They seem to be the lawfirm of choice for Citibank.

A lady I talked to there said they represent an insurance company. A number on their site brought me to JP Morgan Chase, though. I'm not associated with either of them.

#48 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@intro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

I don't plan on it. Javitch Block and Rathbone in Cleveland, OH. So far I've been on hold, 1st in queue to talk to the guy for the last 20 minutes or so.

They have a ton of complaints on them. Watch what you say. There is a report that they record all conversations but infact do not.

Is your dad there sitting with you?

#49 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

@intro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

They have a ton of complaints on them. Watch what you say. There is a report that they record all conversations but infact do not.

Yeah. He tried calling with my mom when we first got the letter. They said they wouldn't talk to them at all, only me.

#50 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@intro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@intro said:

Yeah. He tried calling with my mom when we first got the letter. They said they wouldn't talk to them at all, only me.

Put them on speaker if you can and let your dad be a witness to what they say.